Things I do / do NOT want in Bond 24

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,816MI6 Agent
    Russia will occupy Ukraine, Georgia, the Baltic states and Finland first, so there is still time!

And did you know our armed forces are allegedly the size of Netherlands or Spains military now? (I'm not saying our military is large, but the Dutch and Spanish are small ..) , so we'll fight for weeks. :#
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    Our Fighting Force is pretty small too.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    And with cut backs getting smaller all the time. :#
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    All NATO countries cut the fighting forces after the fall of the Soviet union, as they should. but the re-militarisation of Russia has happened at the same time as the economic crisis in much of western Europe. As a result 22 of NATO's 28 member states have cut their military spending since the millienium. Only 6 have somewhat increased their spending. My guess is Norway, some or all the Baltic states, Poland and/or Turkey and the US.
    Number24 wrote:
    All NATO countries cut the fighting forces after the fall of the Soviet union, as they should. But the re-militarisation of Russia has happened at the same time as the economic crisis in much of western Europe. As a result 22 of NATO's 28 member states have cut their military spending since the millienium. Only 6 have somewhat increased their spending. My guess is Norway, some or all the Baltic states, Poland and/or Turkey and the US.

Double posting.
    Sorry.
  • Lee JohnLee John Beautiful British Columbia Posts: 90MI6 Agent
    I appreciate the welcome fellas
  • thesecretagentthesecretagent CornwallPosts: 2,151MI6 Agent
    As Norway will soon be part of the new Russia, I'd stay well away. :))

:))
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

http://apbateman.com
  • CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
    Having worked in the Plans and Policy Division at a NATO regional hq for over three years and having maintained contact with others I'd worked with there, let me state that one of the main factors in downsizing military forces has a lot to do with advances in technology. The public in general is not always kept abreast of this. Even when civilian jobs are cut in many areas, it is shocking for many to find out it wasn't due to outsourcing to other countries or the economy - it was due to outsourcing to technology.

From cruise missles to laser guided bombs to stealth aircraft to drones and advances in even what a frontline soldier is equipped with, technology has and will continually change the size of the armed forces of the nations who are on the leading edge of it.

Masses of ground troops anywhere today may seem fearsome to many (and anytime an all out war looms large), but one must realize that this type of force today is extremely vulnerable to destruction from the air. An entire
    area seething with tanks and troops can be wiped out in a shockingly short amount of time now and even with little or no warning, because the attacks can be launched a night and from great distances without any noticeable buildup of forces from the other side.

Make no mistake, countries like Russia have considerable firepower and their technology is not totally out of date, but when matched up against the tech power of NATO, especially the US, UK, Germany, etc., they have a critical disadvantage.
    I'm glad to hear it, and hope you are correct. -{ but just in case ........

I welcome the interest shown in the west from our new glorious Russian
    Overlords. ;)

( I've already made this joke, but I always do repeats ) :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Im voting Canadian Rockies. Any involvement at all with the RCMP would be really cool. Norway would be a close second for me.
  • CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
    Lee John wrote:
    Im voting Canadian Rockies. Any involvement at all with the RCMP would be really cool. Norway would be a close second for me.

+1
  • deliciousdelicious SydneyPosts: 371MI6 Agent
    The problem with basing any plot idea involving the criminal use of the internet or the villain using blackmail is that in an action film genre like the Bond films they have to result in action set pieces. SF used the villains mastery of the internet to intimidate and eventually attempt the killing of M, so unless their is another more violent purpose outside a blackmail or internet plot, you're left with scenes of actors staring at computer monitors cut with scenes of what's on the monitors.

Bond films are about action as much as about spying, his adventures need to involve physical challenges, even though so much of intel today involves computers and satellites and drones with cameras.

For example, giving Bond a villain he must actually assassinate by sniping in the pre-credits sequence, but then being discovered and having to escape would make up a good action scene, but then we discover that his target turns out to actually be an imposter/double and that the villain is a master of disguise gives one a physical as well as emotional story. Bond not only has to deal with creating a strategy for the assassination and escape, he then has to deal with the emotional turmoil of learning he has failed to kill the real villain and that perhaps the double he killed turns out to be a duped innocent.

With this kind of scenario, one can than bring in a plot involving the use of the internet or blackmail. For example, the villain was targeted because he is using the net to blackmail someone in charge of shipping nuclear or bio weapons...or because he is using the net to gather information that would somehow threaten Great Britains security.

Given all that, the trick will be to come up with a plot that won't involve the use of the internet at all, or one that will relegate it's use to a very small degree, so it doesn't seem as though it's in any way similar to the way it was used in SF.

It was done successfully in TND where Carver used his paper to precipitate war between Chin and Britain, as well when he phoned Bond in his car because of his access to mobile networks and having a ready made news item about the death of Bond and Paris Carver. It has also been done very well in the Bourne trilogy where the Black Ops guys try to find Bourne as he tries to infiltrate them. This creates great suspense and allows for a combination of action and computer screens. In my idea, Bond would be trying to get to the secret base where the servers for the evil search engine were located but the villains would be using the search engine to track him via GPS, satellite cameras, CCTV etc etc. The information aspect (what people know and don't know) plays off the action scenes and vice versa. Its definitely doable.
    Would like to see the Plot of Nobody Lives Forever by John Gardner get adapted, could be Craig's FRWL.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • LarsLars Posts: 16MI6 Agent
    Haven't read the whole thread, but I want:
    - Skiing scenes
    - Diving (scuba) scenes
    - Less action, I think the newer movies are too afraid of the quiet narrative, which I really miss from the older movies
    - Less focus on Bond's personal issues and more focus on the task in hand.
    I agree with the last two posters. Lars has some good thoughts and Nobody Lives Forever looks like a good staqrting point for a movie. Are you of Scandinavian decent, Lars? Or to put it like this:
    Er du norsk, Lars?
  • LarsLars Posts: 16MI6 Agent
    I see myself as a man of the world -{

Danish here ;)
    Velkommen! Let's keep it in English out of common courtesy. I guess you like me hope the rumours about a Scandinavian Bond girl in the next movie are true :D
  • Smiert-SpionamSmiert-Spionam Posts: 318MI6 Agent
    I'm English and I hope that those rumours are true -{ ;)
    Smiert Spionam
    Me too ;)
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    mig ocksa :))
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    I belive that's Swedish. You know, what Lars and I aren't :))
    I'd like to see Bond with some tactical gear (like Goldeneye) on a mission that doesn't require a suit.
    As Bond has lost his flat and belongings, I think the PTS could have
    Bond going to various estate agents, picking up flyers on available
    dwellings. Picking curtains, fabrics and wallpaper. Building up the
    Tension until Bond pops down to DFS ( with luck they'll have a sale on )
    To pick up some furniture, before Moneypenny arrives with some brushes
    & rollers to help with the painting. Before the phone rings, it's M. With a
    Mission ?, No he berates Bond for not properly sanding down his woodwork !
    Then cue titles. :))
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,295MI6 Agent
    Ha - very good!
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Not exciting enough... there should be an ant problem.
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
    I was trying to keep the gritty realism :)) . I think an ant problem
    Sounds like something from the Moore era. :))
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    If Bond is buying another flat in west London, they will have to show him selling a kidney or two to save up for the deposit and he'll only be wearing outfits from Primani and living on baked beans to pay the rent...
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    living on baked beans to pay the rent...
    But I thought MI6 had money just spilling out of desk drawers and such. ?:)
    Making car-subs and laser watches & stuff... I though Double-O's got paid handsomely (Bond drives an Aston Martin for crikey's sake!).
    Is this just a fantasy of mine?
    ;)
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    If Bond is buying another flat in west London, they will have to show him selling a kidney or two to save up for the deposit and he'll only be wearing outfits from Primani and living on baked beans to pay the rent...

His flat? I think Bond won it in it a card game. It's how he supplements his income.
    :))
    Didn't M say they had sold Bond's flat and Skyfall lodge had also
    been sold. So I guess Bond has a few quid in the bank to splash out
    on a new flat and Aston. ;) :D