FIFA World Cup 2014

Comments

• The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    Germany were undoubtedly awesome, but has a worse team ever played in a World Cup semi-final than Brazil yesterday? It looked like one of those pre-season friendlies when Barcelona go and play the Macau Under-7 One-legged Girl's School XI and try as hard as they can not to embarrass their hosts, they just can't help it and run away with a pot-load of goals.

Brazil had flattered to deceive throughout the tournament. Their 3-1 opening win over Croatia was down to a really bad penalty call and an injury-time finisher when Croatia were throwing everyone forward. They nearly lost to Mexico, only beat Chile on penalties and barely squeaked past Colombia. Their only convincing victory was against Cameroon. And this when they had the most days-off between games of any team in the tournament, minimal travelling, and some very sympathetic refereeing. They have been a mediocre side throughout, but sometimes it's those teams that do 'just enough' to win it all. Alas - for them - it all came to a crashing halt yesterday.

There have actually been only three impressive performances so far in this World Cup in my opinion: Holland v Spain, France v Switzerland and now Germany v Brazil. Holland and France haven't come close to matching those performances in their other games. Argentina have only been marginally better than Brazil having narrowly squeaked past such illustrious powerhouses as Iran and Bosnia, and having barely edged Nigeria, Switzerland and Belgium. If not for Messi - a player Argentinians don't even properly appreciate (except when he's scoring game-winning goals for the national team) - they wouldn't have even got out of their group.

I think Argentina will win today, but even if only half of yesterday's German side turn up on Sunday, they'll have no trouble winning it all.
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    It's not too often you get a perfect storm like we had yesterday. Brazil played arguably the worst game of any team this entire tournament, while Germany played arguably the best. The six-goal differential was stunning, but it could easily have been more. Although it's always dangerous to draw big-picture conclusions from a small data set like that at the World Cup, one can reasonably view yesterday's result as the predictable culmination of 10 or more years of activity in both Germany and Brazil.

I'm sure Bondtoys knows the specifics far better than I do, but Germany made some high-priced conscious investments in their football development system around the 2000 timeframe. As a result, they have created basically a "golden generation and a half" with stalwarts like Lahm, Schweinsteiger, Klose and Neuer joined by relative youngsters Muller, Kroos, Khedira, Hummels and Schurrle. What gets lost in all the talk about "German efficiency" and "German organization" is that this is a staggeringly talented group of players. And I'm not even counting Ruess, the zombie wearing #8, or the German-raised youngsters that are propping up the US team! What a collection! Muller alone is one of the most interesting players I have ever seen -- he's like a free jazz artist who does whatever he wants, yet somehow can mesh perfectly with a classical orchestra. After semifinal losses in WC 2010 and Euro 2012, Germany are now logically progressing to the next step. All of this this proves what investment and sticking to a plan can achieve. You know you are in a good place when the biggest "problem" with the team is questions about sexual orientation (what a crock). My hat is off.

In Brazil meanwhile, they appear to have been coasting. Gilberto Silva has been commenting on American TV, and he said last night that the result showed what 15 years of inattention had brought. No investment, badly run domestic clubs, mercenary players, etc. As with Germany, the underlying story here is talent -- for all the attention paid to Neymar's shirt, crying players, bellowed national anthems and lack of leadership absent Thiago Silva, the real issue is that Brazil just do not have very many good players. How can it be that without Neymar, the best attacking options are Fred, Jo and Hulk? Where are Ronaldo, Rivaldo and Ronaldinho up front? For that matter, where is the steel in midfield and at the back -- hello Dunga, Aldair, Gilberto Silva? None of that exists, which is staggering when you think about it, given the population and football-mad culture in Brazil. We all knew this was not a great Brazilian side, but yesterday laid out an even harsher truth -- they are barely ordinary.

Back to Germany. As a neutral, I wish I could identify a clear "villain" for them to play in the final. Unfortunately I can't, because to me there are appealing aspects to both Argentina (Messi carrying his country to WC title like Maradona did) and the Netherlands (finally winning a WC final). But no matter who they face on Sunday, I believe the Germans will (a) play an excellent game, and (b) win. And that would be well-earned.
    Hilly...you old devil!
    Pfffft. Proof that Americans know nothing about football :D . Excellent analysis Sir Hillary!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I was a bit disappointed, the cameramen weren't picking out as many
    Beautiful girls ! :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Bondtoys wrote:

Oh ye of little faith! Congratulations, my friend! :D

Thanks, old friend!
    Did you receive my emails from June? Never heard back from you.

I'll send you a PM.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
    Three predictions emerging from yesterday's game:

1) Brazil lost for a number of reasons yesterday, but one contributing factor was the absence of Thiago. Had he been there Brazil would still have lost, but I suspect by only (!!!) 3 or so. Consequently, although FIFA don't seem to do anything when calamity strikes big European sides, they will act in an effort to ensure that something like this doesn't happen again. The first thing they'll do is wipe-out suspensions in the semi-finals. They'll argue that it's in the best interest of the public to see the best players in the semis, but I think it will be to try and make-up for the fact that Thiago's absence played a role yesterday.

2) Eliminate the completely worthless, pointless and ridiculous third place match. As a supporter of a losing semi-finalist or the player or manager of one, how on earth are you supposed to get excited by a contest to see who finishes third just a few days after being eliminated? It's nothing but a thoughtless, cynical cash-grab by FIFA and always has been. No one really cares, and those closest to the teams involved in the match certainly don't want it. For Brazil to have to pick themselves up and play Holland or arch-rivals Argentina on Saturday is just cruel. Yes, it's an opportunity to reclaim an iota of pride - or for someone to score a couple of goals and win the Golden Boot - but let's be done with it. I predict this will be the last consolation final.

3) If Holland win today, we'll see the Brazilian ref running Sunday's game. At least that way one Brazilian made the final.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,276MI6 Agent
    Three predictions emerging from yesterday's game:

1) Brazil lost for a number of reasons yesterday, but one contributing factor was...

A betting syndicate. :D
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    :)) :)) :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    Next FIFA Cup, they should replace the Ball with one of those Comedic Novelty big Black round Bombs with the Fuse attached to it -{
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    The way Brazil played, even England, MIGHT have managed a draw ! :))
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    The Problem with our Football, is that we focus too much on how much each Player gets and not of there Playing Ability.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    well, we had a discussion prior to the worldcup that we don't have real "characters" in our team.
    Missed was somebody, who'd run around with a knife between his teeth (a bit like Asp9mm). And always with the homophobic undertone.

attachment.php?attachmentid=510724&stc=1&d=1404858136

attachment.php?attachmentid=510722&stc=1&d=1404856397
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    I'm not saying this had anything to do with it but there have been a few
    Studies stating that teams who play in red tend to be more successful.
    Same goes for individual sports, probably nothing to it but it is an odd
    Finding. :D
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent
    Well Germany certainly gave the Brazilians a pasting and good on them, too. I seen too may players in other teams just fannying about kicking the ball to one another about the field. The object of the game of football should instead be to score goals and the Germans did that in spades. Well done, Germany to win! :) -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    Most of the strippers down my local lapdancing club are Brazilian, I think I will give the place a wide berth for a week or two, I reckon their hearts won't be in it.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,573Chief of Staff
    I'm not saying this had anything to do with it but there have been a few
    Studies stating that teams who play in red tend to be more successful.
    Same goes for individual sports, probably nothing to it but it is an odd
    Finding. :D

That study came out about three years ago...it was interesting but not surprising in the least...
    YNWA 97
    You don't want to take on the Chelsea Pensioners' five a side...

tn_Chelsea%20Pen%202.jpg

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    :)) , I'm as topical as ever. :D
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    the theme tune for the world cup ,seriously is that the best they could come up with
    picture this in your mind
    a room full of beardy TV types in the audition room
    NEXT , oh hallo ,and your name is
    my name is ***** and here is my music
    and a 1 and a 2 BRAAAA ZZZEEEL
    is that it ,yes that's it, congratulations you've got the job heres £,50,000 quid 8-)
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    edited July 2014
    After the last match, this one seems more evenly matched. :)
    Judging by this game, I'd like to offer my congratulations to
    Germany. :))
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    After the last match, this one seems more evenly matched. :)
    Judging by this game, I'd like to offer my congratulations to
    Germany. :))

Germany must be laughing after this performance!

Without wishing to sound like a girl, can someone tell me what the different coloured boots are about?
    Asking girly questions about football is my forte ! :))
    Lady Rose wrote:
    Without wishing to sound like a girl, can someone tell me what the different coloured boots are about?

It's all about fashion, darhling :D

And just because they can !
    YNWA 97
    When was the last time that a team as poor as Argentina reached the World Cup Final? I can't think of a finalist as singularly unimpressive as them in my lifetime. They parked the bus for 120 minutes today and hoped to catch Holland on the counter-attack. If they try that against Germany, they'll be sliced and diced. The only hope for them is if Messi plays superbly, but I just can't see that they have a hope at all on Sunday.
    That game went pretty much as I told a certain sausage-sucking name-changing person here B-) :p
    YNWA 97
    I fancy Argentina to win it now - providing Messi can get fit.
    YNWA 97
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Lady Rose wrote:

It's all about fashion, darhling :D

And just because they can !

Oh right ... Thought there was technical reason ! ... Thank you :)
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    Out of all the games to go an watch in the pub I picked this snoozefest.

Germany please hammer them in the final
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    Just thought I'd blow my own trumpet here (had a few ribs removed just to make it possible, I might add). I've correctly predicted the winner of every single match since the Round of 16 started a couple of weeks ago. Now, before you all start confusing me with a certain dead octopus (an understandable mistake), I mention this only to prove how utterly dire and predictable the World Cup has been since the Group Stage ended. Granted I didn't have Germany down to win 7-1 yesterday...but I had said they'd win 3-0. If you want to know the score for Sunday's game, just put a tenner in an envelope and post it to me. :D
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent
    Just thought I'd blow my own trumpet here (had a few ribs removed just to make it possible, I might add). I've correctly predicted the winner of every single match since the Round of 16 started a couple of weeks ago. Now, before you all start confusing me with a certain dead octopus (an understandable mistake), I mention this only to prove how utterly dire and predictable the World Cup has been since the Group Stage ended. Granted I didn't have Germany down to win 7-1 yesterday...but I had said they'd win 3-0. If you want to know the score for Sunday's game, just put a tenner in an envelope and post it to me. :D

Is your real name Paul? :))
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).