A question for gun experts.

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I think it looks very nice, lovely textured grip on the handle.
    Had Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen, a hand in the design ? :)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent
    ^ Well I'm no expert of course but it certainly looks the part! :) -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    The PPS M2 to the left, the PPS Classic to the right. I think the M2 just looks better for Bond.

ppsm2s.jpg
  • 00730073 COPPosts: 1,024MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Not really a question, but a suggestion. While the HK PPS looked too angular and didn't remind me of the old PPK, I think the PPS M2 looks more elegant. If Bond switches to a new gun (big 'if'),do you think this is a good contender?

Walther-PPS-M2-Left-Angle-Ext-Mag.jpg

Well I certainly could not comment on the H'n K PPS, but the Walther PPS does look the part... :v
    "I mean, she almost kills bond...with her ass."
    -Mr Arlington Beech
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    It's a good modern gun, and not that much bigger than a ppk. My only real concern for a bond gun is its generic shape.
    I think bond carried this gun in carte blanche well the Pps anyway. A lot of special ops carried the p99 compact as a back up side arm, which was quite concealment, but the Pps even more soo.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    The PPS M2 is not an ideal replacement (or addition) to the PPK, but it's more fitting than the first version of the gun. I'm of course speaking in terms of design and size, I'm not qualified to judge the gun in other areas. I wish Walther would make a sleak pistol with the lines of the old PPK,but in a modern style.
    In fact, if Walther started producing something like the SIG p-232 I wouldn't mind it at all if Bond switched to it:

hqdefault.jpg
    Number24 wrote:
    In fact, if Walther started producing something like the SIG p-232 I wouldn't mind it at all if Bond switched to it:

hqdefault.jpg
    A nice looking gun but a copy of the ppk, the current ppks is more modern looking than the original, but I'm with you a new modern ppk would be good.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    PPK or bust.
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    The SIG is an oversized PPK. The WALTHER PPS is brilliant.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    Normally when you saw off the barrels you loose the choke effect of the gun so the spread of the shot will be significantly larger therefore more effective at a shorter range, in fact devastating at close quarters, I don't know about the ammo side of your question?? Also I've seen a simple loop type sling going over the shoulder and attached to the gun so it hangs under the arm...in fact similar to how Bond carries the carbine in the spectre PTS, under a baggy coat of enough length to conceal the gun would be concealment enough.
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    To the best of my knowledge, a sawn off will simply spread the shot regardless of what shells are used.

Good for close quarters and popping hinges I think but at 40yds I can't help but assume the spread pattern would loose it's lethality.

As for concealing it, I'd say a long coat with a custom pocket on the inner lining. I've heard of poachers guns that bend in half carried in this way.
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    Could one of our resident fire arms gurus ,please explain how a silencer fits into or over the barrel of a hand gun ,you see it in films
    and to me it looks like the silencer screws into the barrel ,but common sense tells me if you do that ,then you are making the diameter of the barrel smaller ,then the bullet wouldn't come out ? now if the silencer screws over the barrel then from my limited knowledge (I had a de activated Colt 45 M1191) years ago then the top slide wouldn't slide over the silencer ,please tell
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • sniperUKsniperUK UlsterPosts: 594MI6 Agent
    The barrel is usually extended with a screw thread fitted on the outer muzzle, usual with the 1911.

http://www.customdigitaldesignsonline.com/content/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/YHM_Cobra_M2_45__4f1efe3b2c79e.jpg

And yes that is what is needed for a 45.

http://blog.silencershop.com/wp-content/uploads/5_pistol_with_suppressor-300x199.jpg
    You can have the bore milled inside to take a suppressor. But it needs a thick barrel to make it possible. Most are outside like this...

1f86b6bdf356ba80255ffd7f9edcc1a9.jpg

The threaded extension is protected by a cap that screws on when the suppressor isn't attached.

Film pistols that use so called 'silencers' are just hokum and don't work in real life. They just look cool and lack the barrel extension as it doesn't look neat. You'd blow your hand off if you tried using that.
    Here's a question I have: What's the pointy bit on the trigger guard for?
    (Nope, I'm definitely not a real gun dude...) 8-)
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:
    Here's a question I have: What's the pointy bit on the trigger guard for?
    (Nope, I'm definitely not a real gun dude...) 8-)

Believe it's for when shooting double handed, the scalloped design lets your forefinger on your left hand (if you're right handed) sit on the trigger guard with better control instead of being able to slide off if the guard is rounded like on the ppk.
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    Thanks guys you are the best ,I did always wonder when you see it in a film ,So the weapon in question ,basically has to be made to fit a silencer (suppressor) rather than just going down the local gun store and buying one , to fit the hand gun .
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    Not so much a gun question but......

In Goldfinger when the bomb arrives and the Marines move in the general says
    "Bomb desposal unit to accompany D.O.G " so what does DOG stand for ?

Desposal Ordnance Group ? Or something like that.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • 00730073 COPPosts: 1,024MI6 Agent

DOG.

The domestic dog is a domesticated canid which has been selectively bred over millennia for various behaviours, sensory capabilities, and physical attributes.
    Scientific name: Canis lupus familiaris
    Gestation period: 58 – 68 days
    Higher classification: Gray wolf
    Lifespan: 10 – 13 years
    Daily sleep: 10 hours
    Height: 16 – 86 cm (At Shoulder)

I am truly sorry, I just could not resist......
    "I mean, she almost kills bond...with her ass."
    -Mr Arlington Beech
    :))
    maybe they were experimenting with partially sighted bomb disposal people ?
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    0073 wrote:

DOG.

The domestic dog is a domesticated canid which has been selectively bred over millennia for various behaviours, sensory capabilities, and physical attributes.
    Scientific name: Canis lupus familiaris
    Gestation period: 58 – 68 days
    Higher classification: Gray wolf
    Lifespan: 10 – 13 years
    Daily sleep: 10 hours
    Height: 16 – 86 cm (At Shoulder)

I am truly sorry, I just could not resist......

They had to spell it out so that the dog wouldn't understand and get all excited.
    Divisional officers group, probably or it could be in reference to the infantrymen who were known as dogfaces for some reason??
    Thanks, I've been tryjng to figure it out for ages. :)
    https://youtu.be/0eKv99j1TV0
    I thought this was interesting, 5 gun myths from the movies. :D
    https://youtu.be/_OESUcHqqnc
    The Curve, a cute little gun. :D
    https://youtu.be/0eKv99j1TV0
    I thought this was interesting, 5 gun myths from the movies. :D
    Hilarious! -{
    https://youtu.be/BKoQRFwWkMY
    Double barrel 1911 review. :)
    In loads of movies we see assassins assembling riffles on rooftops etc.
    My question is, are these weapons less accurate than a "one piece" riffle
    or is there little to no difference ?
    I understand concealment is the objective, just wondering if there was
    any drop in accuracy ?
    Most if not all rifles break down into component parts. The trick is not to knock the scope or sights which should have been zeroed in previously.