Anything Good on TV ?

Comments

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,693MI6 Agent

A great series that I would love to see again - sad that Peter Wyngarde lost his career in less enlightened times :#

Was that to do with his sexuality?

More that he was actually caught importuning in a public toilet than actually being homosexual - it was a time when homosexuality had to be kept secret although most knew that stars like Frankie Howerd were gay it was illegal in those times.

Yes, homosexuality wasn't legalised in England and Wales until 1967. In fact, it wasn't legalised in Northern Ireland until 1982.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    It really must have been terrible to have been gay in those days. Constantly worried about getting
    Caught, the chances for being blackmailed etc. :#
    Thankfully these days, it just doesn't matter, although with the recent shooting in Miami, there
    are still a few hate filled people about.
    Yes SM, good old N.Ireland is always decades behind the rest of the UK.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    https://youtu.be/ezBRk3V4x7k
    Old Top Gear reacts to New Top Gear. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,590Chief of Staff

A story full of 'rumour' and 'sources'... 8-) not one solid piece of fact anywhere...looks like a piece concocted just to have a pop at Evans...
    YNWA 97
    Watching the new top gear and they showed a clip from the new Ab Fab movie.
    The Clip was a total rip off of a scene from Return of the pink Panther. :s
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Why are you mentioning the new top gear on a thread called anything good on tv?? You need to move it to the "what shyte is on tonight" thread :D
    I watched the old top gear today where Clarkson and may rescue hammond from a mountain in two American pick ups. Oh I miss those guys!
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    :)) had to edit that last post as by product of the alimentary system doesn't rhyme with night :))
    I love this **** word censor ****
    I watch it on a 24/7 streaming channel . Today I watched the African desert and Burma bridge
    challanges.
    I watched Burma bridge yesterday. Thats one of the best specials IMHO
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,345Chief of Staff
    Chriscoop wrote:
    :)) had to edit that last post as by product of the alimentary system doesn't rhyme with night :))

:D Guilty man here. I must update that...
    Barbel wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:

:D Guilty man here. I must update that...
    It's very funny, I like it {[]
    I noticed the numbrr plate on Chris Evans Rolls tonight BRX---T , can't help but think
    If Clarkson was still doing it, there be loads of complaints he was supporting " Brexit " :))
    Luck you have three nipples, Stag. Or by thunder there would have
    been Trouble ! :)) :D
    edited June 2016
    Watching Dept S tonight, and who pops up as a guest, ..... Antony Hopkins ! :)

One thing that's very noticeable from those old shows. Is how dirty the buildings
    around London were. I guess that was from years of coal fuel and leaded petrol.
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,241MI6 Agent
    stag wrote:

I've been watching 'The Saint' on ITV4. Part of its charm is the way they dress up the same outside street set in order to portray different parts of the world. Peter Wyngarde featured as the baddie in one episode. I thought he did a great job. I can't ever remember watching Department S but would do so if they put on TV.

Always funny to see in THE SAINT how all the location scenes are filmed by Roger Moore's double - Roger only ever appears in studio scenes.
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
    Wasn't his body double from the Saint brought out of retirement to play
    Colonel Toro ( Ken Norris ) in Octopussy ;)
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,345Chief of Staff
    There's a story that Mike Reid (yes, that Mike Reid) was doubling for him (not on a Bond movie)... until he made fun of Moore's thinning hair and got fired.
    :)) now that you mention it, I vaguely remember that story.
    One of my customers was a production assistant on Eastenders and he told me that Mike Reid played some sort of a hard man role in the series ( I don't know I've never watched it) and apparently it all went to his head and he was strutting around the set giving it large to all and sundry until he made the mistake of sounding off to a 5 foot 3 inch Scottish electrician who proceeded to lay him out flat on his back - Scotsman got fired and it all got hushed up by all accounts.
    I loved Mike Reid as a stand up, had several of his DVDs. :)
    I used to like him on The Comedians but can't imagine he was much of an actor.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,590Chief of Staff
    I used to like him on The Comedians but can't imagine he was much of an actor.

No...he was much better hosting Runaround :D
    YNWA 97
    He was very good in Snatch or was it Two smoking barrels ( I get them mixed up ) but he
    Basically play himself, I guess.
    I don't remember him in Two Smoking Barrels - I haven't seen Snatch must have been that - Vinnie Jones can't act either :))
    But would you say that to Vinnie's face ? ........ I know I wouldn't :))
    No, probably not :)) . I'm no tough guy but at the same time I never back down to anyone, fortunately the couple of nasty situations I have found myself in the bullies involved have backed down when confronted (I'm a fast runner if they hadn't :)) ) - I will call for Stag to sort Vinnie out :))
    I'm very lucky, as I look like a real evil bar steward ! Apart from sparing in martial arts. I've never
    Had to do anything but give a look, and raise my voice. ( Although, I'm really just a big soft, cuddle
    Marshmallowey , snuggle bunny ) :D
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    In Therapy - a documentary series on channel 5 - following people (celebrities... hate that word) 'in therapy' with addiction expert Mandy Saligari.

A fascinating look at how this particular therapist works, and having been in therapy myself (and am at the moment), it's really revealing what is being said, without being 'in it'.

Understanding addiction (in all it's forms); why we use it to change our emotional state, and accepting responsibility (and in turn, changing our behaviour) is vital to recovery.

This week, we saw Daniella Westbrook - who to be fair, I've never admired, go through a number of sessions. Being a spectator was uncomfortable at times, as her story of sexual abuse at the age of seven, and other allegations were quite heartbreaking. However, the therapist got to the heart of her 'self abuse' - looked at it, understood it for what it was and un-hooked the feeling of protecting herself with self loathing. It appears her appearance on this documentary has 'changed her life'.

Sometimes it takes a few goes at the process for things to really sink in. Or, in this case, a therapist who understands what lies behind the addiction, why it is used to 'self medicate' and how to recognise it and ultimately stop. This in turn has a knock on effect with every aspect of ones life. Uplifting to see that anything is possible.
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
    I watched a couple of old episodes of The Persuaders, marvelous stuff. Sir Roger
    Makes everything look so effortless. -{