Anything Good on TV ?

Comments

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,593Chief of Staff
    Number24 wrote:
    I have never in my like seen a Carry On movie :o
    Thore movies are simply unknown in this country. Is that just us (like the Doctor Who thing), or are the Carry On movies mainly known in the UK?

Yes...the 'Carry On...' movies are very much a British institution...I doubt the comedy translates very well to other countries...
    YNWA 97
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,804MI6 Agent
    edited November 2016
    I can recomed the TV-series "Nobel" from .... you know what country. The seven part thriller stars Aksel Henie (Headhunters, Hercules, The Martian, 24: Live another day) and the themes are our war effort in Afghanistan, diplomacy, oil and foreign aid. Henie plays a special forces soldier.
    The series won this year's Prix Europa for the best European TV series this year and it's sold to a large number of countries. Highly recomended!

The title sequense sets the tone of the series:
    https://youtu.be/1-tKbnakMk8

nobel-5310.jpg
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Barbel wrote:
    Agreed, it's great. No disrespect to Harry H. Corbett but would it have been a better film if Sid James had played the lead? He had a heart attack shortly before filming so was replaced by Corbett.

Carry on Screaming is my favourite 'Carry on...' movie as well...I actually think it works better for not having Sid in the lead role...Harry H. Corbett was a FAR better actor and adds nuances to the role that Sid couldn't...
    I like pretty much every 'Carry on...' movie though ;%

Agreed.

I don't particularly care for Sid James which is probably why I like 'Screaming' and Harry H Corbett in it.

Sir Miles wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    Thore movies are simply unknown in this country. Is that just us (like the Doctor Who thing), or are the Carry On movies mainly known in the UK?

Yes...the 'Carry On...' movies are very much a British institution...I doubt the comedy translates very well to other countries...

I don't think they travel well. It's just double entendres,innuendo and slapstick ... A bit like Great British Bake Off :))
    Lady Rose wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Barbel wrote:
    Agreed, it's great. No disrespect to Harry H. Corbett but would it have been a better film if Sid James had played the lead? He had a heart attack shortly before filming so was replaced by Corbett.

Carry on Screaming is my favourite 'Carry on...' movie as well...I actually think it works better for not having Sid in the lead role...Harry H. Corbett was a FAR better actor and adds nuances to the role that Sid couldn't...

Agreed.

I don't particularly care for Sid James which is probably why I like 'Screaming' and Harry H Corbett in it.

Sir Miles wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

I don't think they travel well. It's just double entendres,innuendo and slapstick ... A bit like Great British Bake Off :))

Perhaps TP is a fan? :v
  • welshguy34welshguy34 Posts: 219MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Barbel wrote:

I also think it's better with Harry H. Corbett, and he was a better actor than Sid.

I also like Carry On Up The Khyber.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,351Chief of Staff
    Sid's heart attack also explains why he played most of his part in the next Carry On film in which he appeared, Carry On Doctor, while lying in bed (which fitted nicely into the plot). Frankie Howerd had the more active part, while Kenneth Williams & co did what they usually did.
    I don't think Screaming would have been better with Sid, just different.
    I just saw the season finale of Nobel (see earlier post) and I loved it! Who would have guessed the European competitor to Homeland would come from this country? Not me.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I'm really enjoying " Westworld" , I think I've worked out a few story lines and what
    Might happen, but it is Intriguing. -{ in one scene you could just see in the background
    The " gunfighter robot" from the original movie. ;)
    Apparently Quentin Tarantino was approached long ago about making a remake of the movie, but
    Nothing came of it.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,246MI6 Agent
    Mrs CHB and myself enjoy detective series and we have just started to watch Shetland on Netflix, very good too.
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
    Shetland, was the BBC's attempt of a "Nordic detective" series. I enjoyed the first series but
    Missed the second.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    I've got Westworld on series record - I'll watch them all when they are all recorded...I'm about to start the first series of The Man In The High Castle - my mate loved the book and he said the series was pretty decent...
    YNWA 97
    The eagle eyed (or Norwegian :D ) viewer may have noticed Ingrid Bolsø Berdal playing the outlaw Armistice in Westworld. She was considered in the role of Madeleine Swann in SPECTRE.

ingrid-bolso-berdal-hbo-s-westworld-premiere-in-los-angeles-9-28-2016-2.jpg
    I'm hoping to catch The man in the high castle at some point, as I love these
    "What if ?" Programmes. Haven't read the book but have read SS:GB long ago
    Showing life in a Nazi controlled Britain.
    I look forward to The Man in the High Castle too. You'll be pleased to hear that SS: GB is being turned into a miniseries :)
  • FrigilianaFrigiliana Posts: 164MI6 Agent
    The Night Of .This is a cracking detective / courtroom drama John Turturro deserves an Emmy for his acting brilliant

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2401256/?ref_=nv_sr_1
    Number24 wrote:
    I look forward to The Man in the High Castle too. You'll be pleased to hear that SS: GB is being turned into a miniseries :)

By Purvis & Wade !

I reread it a couple of months ago in preparation -{
    YNWA 97
    Same old complaint from me this year .... I'm a Celebrity get me outta here !
    I only know about four of them :)) it should really be " I'm a minor TV personality, trying
    To revive my career, get me outta here" on the format, there was a hell of a lot of padding
    In last night's show. In fact I didn't even watch the end of it.
    On the good news front Planet earth ii beat the X Factor in the ratings , showing how a
    Well made quality programme can beat some old thrown together crap.
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    { in one scene you could just see in the background
    The " gunfighter robot" from the original movie. ;)
    So I'm NOT going crazy. I could have sworn that was "Yul" hiding in that dusty old lab -- thanks for confirming, TP.

I am loving Westworld, although I fell a week behind and can't seem to catch up. Maybe tonight. :D
    Hilly...you old devil!
    Yes, I got a kick from seeing him in the shadows -{ plenty of twists to follow I'm sure.
    I was just sent a video evaluation from NowTv , to see if I'd enjoy Westworld, ..... Surprisingly
    It seems I would :D
    I also read ( somewhere ) it has a huge budget for a tv show, with plenty of fan theories concerning
    Time lines, hosts pretending to be human etc.
    Just watched episode seven of Westwkrld ( on my legally held now tv box ) and it was
    brilliant, with a big reveal ! :)
    Just watched episode seven of Westwkrld ( on my legally held now tv box ) and it was
    brilliant, with a big reveal ! :)

It's illegal to sell them...not to own one...yet :))

Haven't watched Westworld yet - have them all on the hard drive...looking forward to watching this series though -{
    YNWA 97
    :)) It's OK, the Now TV box is from SKY :D
    Any Top Gear fans catch the first episode of The Grand Tour ?
    I loved it, the three old gits back together again, with some beautiful
    Photography. -{
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    im not one to watch celebrity get me out of the jungle ,but this time they have Sam Quek in it (who I hear you all cry) Sam is one of the Olympic gold medal winning ladies hockey team players ,I think shes fab ;% ;%
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    Photography. -{

I am probably in a minority here but I cannot stand this trio of self indulgent idiots.
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Photography. -{

I am probably in a minority here but I cannot stand this trio of self indulgent idiots.
    How can you not like jeremy Clarkson?? He punched piers Morgan for God's sake
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,693MI6 Agent
    Photography. -{

You're not alone, believe me.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Photography. -{

How can you not like jeremy Clarkson?? He punched piers Morgan for God's sake

Did he? Not all bad then, CC :))
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

sir Miles is correct ,the carry on films would never translate into humour in non British tv , "frying tonight" DR Prod, Dan Dan The lavatory man , you cant beat that :)) :))
    Im watching THE BRIDES OF FU MANCHU at the moment starring the wonderful Christopher Lee, and the one and only Burt Kwouk ,
    Vincent Wong (DAD) also plays a part