SPECTRE then... what do people think?

Comments

• AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    Most likely sticking two Fingers up to McClory -{
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • Virgil37Virgil37 Posts: 1,212MI6 Agent
    It was Cubby who never wanted to look back. Michael G. Wilson suggested precisely a whole reboot at the time of TLD ("inside TLD" documentary on the DVD). Even the first script for the movie after AVTAK was the young Bond story. Cubby said no.

As for bringing back SPECTRE/Blofeld, it was the same situation as CR. They didn't have the rights, so they couldn't go on record saying "it would be lovely, but we have to keep on doing what we do".
  • David SchofieldDavid Schofield EnglandPosts: 1,528MI6 Agent

McClory is dead, you know.

So I'm not quite sure the gesture would hit home :(
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent

He wasn't dead when MGW made that statement though, and EON still didn't have the rights to Blofeld or SPECTRE then either. So he could hardly say anything else really. What a mess that lot became.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............

The whole Debate stopped us from having a proper Ending to Blofeld and Spectre. Yes, maybe 'Sticking two Fingers up to McClory' sounds a bit harsh but I suspect the Broccoli's were feeling that way after Years of his Embargo on the Series.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • David SchofieldDavid Schofield EnglandPosts: 1,528MI6 Agent

The whole Debate stopped us from having a proper Ending to Blofeld and Spectre.

I think some would say that that was due to EON's appalling handling of the OHMSS "sequel", when McClory was off the scene with his 10 year post THUNDERBALL embargo and they still held right to both
  • osrisosris Posts: 558MI6 Agent
    I only hope this new Spectre isn’t as bland as Quantum was. I find modern Bond villains like something off old episodes of Miami Vice.
  • icsics Posts: 1,413MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    ics wrote:
    So Markus what is your feeling about SP ????....

I think that it's great - the poster is great, the cast (minus Kleinman) is great - I am just hoping that they keep their fingers off from OHMSS!

So Ian, what are your thoughts?
    And how is life in Denmark?

Hi Markus..
    Life in Denmark’s is OK – cold, x-mass /Chanukah coming so a bit stressful
    With SPECTRE… hummmm on one point this could be an epic movie – one of the best but on the other hand this could easily turn into a Austin powers type of movie – they need to be very careful, but as I said has the potential to be one of the best….
    On the negative side from the press – I think DC is looking old, they need to give him some botox….
    Soooooo what do you think ?
  • Virgil37Virgil37 Posts: 1,212MI6 Agent
    ics wrote:
    With SPECTRE…  hummmm on one point this could be an epic movie – one of the best but on the other hand this could easily turn into a Austin powers type of movie – they need to be very careful, but as I said has the potential to be one of the best….

I don't believe it could "easily turn into Austin Powers". I mean, the pitfall is so obvious, only a fan movie posted in youtube might fall for it. Hopefully SPECTRE will do for Blofeld what "Dark Night" did for the Joker.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Agreed, Can't see an Austin Powers homage :))
    This will be a contemporary take on SPECTRE and Blofeld
    ( if he makes an appearance ) ;) , and as Virgil37 points out.
    I think far from the almost comedic DAF and FYEO Blofeld
    This one will be very Dangerous ! -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    Under Mendes, Craig etc I also don't believe it could become over-the-top Austin Powers. I just don't think the current team is inclined in that way. Perhaps with a different actor and director, possibly, but not right now. Assuming that Blofeld returns, he'll be a dark character, not a comic book villain.
    To misquote Marc Ange Draco .....
    ... " Be happy my AJBers, Be Happy ! " :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,294MI6 Agent
    Yup - cant see the new Blofeld having a cat, being bald or having a crazy lair to be honest!
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    Given the talent connected with SPECTRE, I wouldn't be
    Surprised if we got an epic Bond ! Something up there
    With CR. {[]
    Hopefully the new Blofeld, will be frighting enough to
    Give kids nightmares ! :))
    Virgil37 wrote:
    ics wrote:
    With SPECTRE…  hummmm on one point this could be an epic movie – one of the best but on the other hand this could easily turn into a Austin powers type of movie – they need to be very careful, but as I said has the potential to be one of the best….

I don't believe it could "easily turn into Austin Powers". I mean, the pitfall is so obvious, only a fan movie posted in youtube might fall for it. Hopefully SPECTRE will do for Blofeld what "Dark Night" did for the Joker.

Yes -{
  • Brosnan_fanBrosnan_fan Sydney, AustraliaPosts: 521MI6 Agent
    I'm just wondering... how would movie-goers in their 20's or 30's - who have been brought up on Austin Powers movies - respond to the movie if Blofeld was introduced? :s
    "Well, he certainly left with his tails between his legs."
    Blofeld won't be bold or stroking a white Cat this Time -{
  • Agent82Agent82 Posts: 65MI6 Agent

Could he at least be "bald?" :))
  • Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent

Perhaps, a stray white cat walks in on Blofeld. He aims a boot in its direction shouting, "You don't belong here", the cat runs off. The real message being "I am a new Blofeld. You (the cat), your owner, and Austin Powers are all a thing of the past."
    Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)
  • Agent82Agent82 Posts: 65MI6 Agent
    I'm just wondering... how would movie-goers in their 20's or 30's - who have been brought up on Austin Powers movies - respond to the movie if Blofeld was introduced? :s

Well, I am 32, and I assure you I was not "brought up" on Austin Powers movies. -{ I have seen them, and do appreciate the parody, but I doubt there will be any confusion surrounding Blofeld for anyone watching.

Wait! Average movie fans are not necessarily Bond movie experts; average movie fans are often idiots. They'll swear Blofeld is a "ripoff" from Austin Powers.

My, my, how it all comes full circle. 8-)
  • Kent007Kent007 Posts: 338MI6 Agent
    I don't necessarily the problem would be people watching the film and thinking "Hey! He's ripping off Dr.Evil" or anything like that.

I just think having a bald, white cat stroking Blofeld would remind people of Dr. Evil and therefore undermine the seriousness of Blofeld.

This isn't the Blofeld of old who was a bit of a flamboyant character. Given the tone of Craig films it wouldn't make sense for Blofeld to be like that so I guess however the character is portrayed it'll be quite serious. Therefore having the new Blofeld look nothing like the old Blofeld/Dr. Evil, seperates the character from all of that "silliness"
    "You are about to wake when you dream that you are dreaming"
    How did I miss spell 'Bald'? :))

I've said this before, but I hope the new Blofeld is more closer to his Novel Counterpart. Where he is a Master of Disguise and is a bit unhinged -{
    How did I miss spell 'Bald'? :))

I've said this before, but I hope the new Blofeld is more closer to his Novel Counterpart. Where he is a Master of Disguise and is a bit unhinged -{

I think with the actor lined up to play him we will indeed not be disappointed!! -{
    Yes -{
    In fact I watched Inglorious Basterds last night for a taster (well some of it before I nodded off)
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    Agent82 wrote:

Well, I am 32, and I assure you I was not "brought up" on Austin Powers movies. -{ I have seen them, and do appreciate the parody, but I doubt there will be any confusion surrounding Blofeld for anyone watching.

Wait! Average movie fans are not necessarily Bond movie experts; average movie fans are often idiots. They'll swear Blofeld is a "ripoff" from Austin Powers.

My, my, how it all comes full circle. 8-)

I still well remember about ten years ago overhearing a group of people in a cinema hearing Paul McCartney singing "Live and Let Die" before a film started and saying "Hey, that's not Guns'n'Roses."
  • Colonel ShatnerColonel Shatner Chavtastic Bristol, BritainPosts: 574MI6 Agent
    Although derided by some as Bond meets Home Alone and PG-13 Rambo, is anybody else looking forward to another prolonged ground battle with dozens of mooks like at the end of Skyfall? The Quantum/SPECTRE organisation comes across as a big enough network to afford an endless stream of the more sleazy but still hardened private military contractors and the most seasoned hired guns from the criminal underworld for Bond to plough through.
    'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...'
    On a smaller Scale this Time -{
  • SilentSpySilentSpy Private Exotic AreaPosts: 765MI6 Agent
    Although derided by some as Bond meets Home Alone and PG-13 Rambo, is anybody else looking forward to another prolonged ground battle with dozens of mooks like at the end of Skyfall? The Quantum/SPECTRE organisation comes across as a big enough network to afford an endless stream of the more sleazy but still hardened private military contractors and the most seasoned hired guns from the criminal underworld for Bond to plough through.

Hopefully it will have Bond with people helping him since we haven't seen that since The Living Daylights. Or that quick barely seen battle near the end of The World is not Enough.
    "Better late than never."
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    SilentSpy wrote:

Hopefully it will have Bond with people helping him since we haven't seen that since The Living Daylights. Or that quick barely seen battle near the end of The World is not Enough.

Brosnan always had someone helping him. Daniel Craig is the one who mostly worked alone.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits