Pros and Cons: The Living Daylights

Comments

• AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    I offer a Sacrifice to Barbel and Sir Miles :))
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,323Chief of Staff
    Higgins wrote:
    I am in the hands of our almighty mods and bow down in front of them.

Well, there's a first time for everything.... :o

("Hey, Sir Miles, come here quick- you've gotta see this!")
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,323Chief of Staff

As long as its not Number24's idea of food! :D
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    Higgins wrote:
    I am in the hands of our almighty mods and bow down in front of them.

Well, there's a first time for everything.... :o

("Hey, Sir Miles, come here quick- you've gotta see this!")

aaarg, was about to edit my post but Barbel saved the evidence already :#
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!

with my crap english, I first thought that he was speaking about a crucifixion :o :))

• AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    We might all start singing 'The Bright Side of Life' :))
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    :)) :)) :))

Only Barbel... Sir Miles sees the dark side even when he's on a sunny beach :)) :)) :))

• chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Yes, TLD is a fine film.
    :))
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
    no! 8-)

• Absolutely_CartAbsolutely_Cart NJ/NYC, United StatesPosts: 1,740MI6 Agent
    edited December 2014
    In a way, TLD reputation suffers from the fact that it wasn't a significant historical film in the same way From Russia With Love was.

When I watch Dr. No, I'm not just watching a movie, I'm watching a part of history. TLD is every bit as good, but it lacks that golden aura that makes us feel like we're watching more than just a movie. It's not Dalton's fault or the writer's fault that the movie isn't as highly regarded as some of the older ones. It's just a little bad luck.
    Higgins wrote:
    no! 8-)
    Please, no more verbose & long-winded rebuttals. ;)
  • King KamalKing Kamal Posts: 85MI6 Agent
    Koskov is a trifle tragic for me personally. Just seems to lack any sort of menace or intelligence that is required to be a general in the KGB. You could have had Necros as a KGB general doing all the physical/ground work with Whittaker doing all his dealing in the background and it would be no poorer a film for it.
    edited December 2014
    King Kamal wrote:
    Koskov is a trifle tragic for me personally.
    I can see what you're saying, and most Bond movies could probably use a fan tweak here or there, but it's really one of a few Bonds I just relish all the way through without a second thought while it's on. -{
    Some of the others are down there
    V
  • Mr_Sable_BasiliskMr_Sable_Basilisk BerlinPosts: 50MI6 Agent
    It has one of the finest PTS, an invigorated James Bond, a fine car, some great fights, uses
    some original Fleming material, shows JB as a professional killer, has a very convincing henchman and I actually like Maryam D'Abo ;% .

On the con side it has a weaker last third and Joe Don Baker, while normaly a fine actor, doesn't convince as the bad guy. His best role will always be Darius Jedburgh.
    a fine car
    My personal favourite of the Bond lot! :007)
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    More good points then bad ones, eh? :v

1. The "suddenly having a crush on Bond just because he flies onto the yacht" 8-)
    2. Dalton's overacted seriousness in the sniper scene. And the banter with Saunders is just tv-format never convinced me 8-)
    3. Bond replacing the champagne - Moore would have gotten crucified for it 8-)
    4. Exploding milk bottles and strangling with a headphone cable - oh yes! 8-)
    5. The Aston Martin getting "winterized" when it's visually a different car 8-)
    6. Cool gadget car radio being able to receive police communications - we did that with analogue transistors 15 years before
    7. Ah, I forgot the 90 degree turn in the pipeline with the "pig" 8-)
    8. The landing of the Harriers is plain boring 8-)
    9. Salt corrosion -and Moore gets criticized for a wink in the FYEO car case 8-)
    10. Balloon popping as a metaphor - well 8-)
    11. Bond looking cool in a landau: Look at TSWLM and compare it with TLD Vienna scenes 8-)
    12. Bond meeting Kara again in the tent and the misty eyes when they hug - sweet 8-)
    13. Mentioned before: That loose stable in the car chase and cutting ice that can carry a car with the rim? 8-)
    14. Cello case as a mode of transport - good that they left the magic carpet away in the final cut 8-)
    15. Good Taliban - are you fecking kidding me? And people complain about a Tarzan yell or a slide wistle 8-)
    16. Bond being arrested by 2 chicks - how dangerous? 8-)
    17. Baker as a villain - laughable 8-)
    18. Again - good Taliban - are you fecking kidding me? 8-)
    19. That exploding bridge screams miniature 8-)
    20. Kara opening the hatch and no-one discovers it until it's open? There is a "close" button as well 8-)
    21. That Jeep is just pathetic 8-)
    22. And they are riding to dawn - yawn 8-)
    23. The baddies in the snow chase jumping over hills like winning the olympics 8-)
    24. Ghetto Blaster - how inventive 8-)

It's probably 10 years that I've seen TLD - I am sure that there are more - these are just from my memory.

Enough to put that boring movie to the bucket :D

So besides that, you liked it pretty well, huh? Glad to see you finally coming around, Higgins! :))
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
    Virgil37 wrote:
    PROS.-

*Timothy Dalton.
    * Gibraltar PTS
    * A ha's theme song. I think it's fantastic.
    * Possibly the best introduction of a new James Bond (only Connery's is better).
    * The plot is magnificent. The twists and turns of Koskov's defection, then
    * Bond's decisions are very revealing of his character (he decides NOT to use his licence to kill twice, disobeying direct orders ).
    * Maryan D'Abo. Very good performance as Kara. Perfectly conveys the naivety of the character.
    * John Rhys-Davies. I always liked him, and he's perfect as Pushkin. You can tell he's a good guy and feel for Bond when he's ordered to kill him.
    * Jeroen Krabbe as Koskov.- very solid actor, very good at being two-face (as he went on to prove in other movies).
    * Great individual scenes (Koskov's defection, Bond's first encounter with Pushkin, the Prater scenes with a great "Third Man" feel).
    * Great locations (Gibraltar, never used in a Bond, Vienna, Tangier, Morocco)
    * Did I mention Timothy Dalton? ("stuff my orders, I only kill professionals...", "If I trusted Koskov we wouldn't be talking...") Wow...amazing delivery. That's the way I imagine Bond would talk in real life.

CONS

*Necros, a new Grant-like henchman.
    * Joe Don Baker/Brad Whittaker.- he's a weak villain. Not menacing enough, not larger than life. In fact Joe Don Baker came back in GE as a comic relief sort of character. I can't imagine any other actor who played a villain in the series doing that.
    * A very 80s drum machine-based John Barry score (sadly his last). Although it's not bad, and like much better his OP's or AVTAK's scores.

Overall, one of my favourite movies. It just has a great feel to it. Someone in ajb007 said that Dalton's perfomance is like "seeing a novel come to life". That's how I feel about TLD. I think Ian Fleming himself would have loved TLD.

I pretty much agree with your points with the exception of:

"* Maryan D'Abo. Very good performance as Kara. Perfectly conveys the naivety of the character." - I find her to be a pretty bland Bond Girl

"*Necros, a new Grant-like henchman." - I didn't mind the resemblance to Grant at all, and I think Necros is one of the better pure henchmen since the Sixties era Bond films.
  • VesperMelogranoVesperMelograno The SouthPosts: 901MI6 Agent
    I do not think Kara is bland. She is much more of a normal person than many of the other bond girls (ie she is not a spy, sniper, geologist etc.) Maryan D'Abo does a really good job of playing a young 20 some who is smitten (not in love) with a powerful man. She is bad ass in her own way. She charges off after James in the desert when the men folk are sitting around pondering their next move. She also has the gull to try and pull one over on the Soviet Union.
    I've always wanted to have Christmas in Turkey
    I do not think Kara is bland. She is much more of a normal person than many of the other bond girls (ie she is not a spy, sniper, geologist etc.) Maryan D'Abo does a really good job of playing a young 20 some who is smitten (not in love) with a powerful man. She is bad ass in her own way. She charges off after James in the desert when the men folk are sitting around pondering their next move. She also has the gull to try and pull one over on the Soviet Union.

You have many supporters for that point of view and I'm probably the outlier. To me, it's not the fact that Kara is a more "normal person" than the typical Bond Girl that makes her bland. I think Natalya Simonova in Goldeneye is a similarly "normal" woman, but for whatever reason she has more of a lasting impact on me than Kara. Maybe it's just the way the character of Kara is written and/or performed, but for me she is one of the few weak spots in TLD.
    You are killing me. Natalya Simonova is hands down one of my favorite Bond girls behind Vesper and Tracy. We will have to agree to disagree on this one.

You have many supporters for that point of view and I'm probably the outlier. To me, it's not the fact that Kara is a more "normal person" than the typical Bond Girl that makes her bland. I think Natalya Simonova in Goldeneye is a similarly "normal" woman, but for whatever reason she has more of a lasting impact on me than Kara. Maybe it's just the way the character of Kara is written and/or performed, but for me she is one of the few weak spots in TLD.
  • Virgil37Virgil37 Posts: 1,212MI6 Agent

I agree qith everything. As you point out, her character develops. First as a young naive girl, then totally badass in the desert (out-"badassing" the Mujahideen, mind you!)
    She is excellent at out-"badassing" everyone and having fantastic hair in the process. Life skills.
    Virgil37 wrote:
    out-"badassing"

I didn't buy Natalya, whereas Kara is more believable. Definitely Maryan D'Abo plays "normal" better than Izabella Scorupco. Basically the opposite of your post.
    edited December 2014
    I have to agree with my old nemesis Blackleiter.
    Natalya though normal and vulnerable comes over to me buch better that Kara, who is a naive annorexic stupid girl - simply.

Kara to me is after Mayday the most annoying female character in the series, I even liked Ruby more than her :D

Oh and Kara was not even on my 24 point con list :D

edited December 2014
    I would not call Natalya normal and I do not think they try to make her so. She is a level 2 programmer working on missile guidance systems. Plus, she is extremely feisty and keeps Bond in his place- even saving him at one point. I would describe her as a firecracker. Far, far from dull.
    You are killing me. Natalya Simonova is hands down one of my favorite Bond girls behind Vesper and Tracy. We will have to agree to disagree on this one.

Well at least we agree that Natalya is one of the better Bond girls. -{
    Higgins wrote:
    I have to agree with my old nemesis Blackleiter.

More proof that you get wiser as you age, my friend! :D
    I do agree with you on Necros. He makes an excellent henchman and an even better carny. Something in his eyes is very menacing. Like he might snap any moment.
    "*Necros, a new Grant-like henchman." - I didn't mind the resemblance to Grant at all, and I think Necros is one of the better pure henchmen since the Sixties era Bond films.
    I want to watch TLD now...
    I do agree with you on Necros. He makes an excellent henchman and an even better carny. Something in his eyes is very menacing. Like he might snap any moment.

I don't like him. A total Grant rip-off. Even garotting his victims with a personal item (walkman instead of watch).