Is Man from UNCLE making EON Nervous?

Comments

• welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,294MI6 Agent
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    IGN not too kind and sort of say what a lot of critics say about HC's acting
    But the failure of the film ultimately rests on the shoulders of Cavill and Hammer, who turn what should be an entertaining caper about a pair of mismatched spies into something much more stilted and awkward. The result is a film that looks like it’s full of life, but flat-lines whenever the leads open their mouths
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    :# might leave this until it reaches DVD.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent

It talks so much about the clothes, yet I'm disappointed that Henry Cavill's Solo is dressed nothing like the original. It really seems like they've changed the characters' considerably for this film, despite it taking place around the same time as the television show.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    The only critic who can really judge a film is yourself. I want to see The Minions and Inside Out too, but will prob give U.N.C.L.E. A go. Clever idea casting Hugh a Grant as Mr Waverley. Based on the cast and director, I think it deserves a go.

Mind you, the new Fantastic 4 has only 8% on Rotten a Tomatoes, and some say it's worse than Catwoman or Batman and Robin. I could have said it would be bad from the trailer, but not THAT bad!
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • sniperUKsniperUK UlsterPosts: 594MI6 Agent
    From the trailer the HMS Ark Royal and the Wessex Hu.5s swing it for me ,even though they should be on Bulwark and the Seahawks should really be Sea Vixens and Scimitars . :v
  • CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
    I don't think this film will bother EON in the least. First, from what I've read of the reviews, it's not exactly a contender in any way. Second, filmmakers can spit out all the spy and action films they want, but there is only one Bond series, it has an historical mountain of international support and fans, and it will always be in class by itself.
  • Lady IceLady Ice Posts: 279MI6 Agent
    I don't think this film will bother EON in the least. First, from what I've read of the reviews, it's not exactly a contender in any way. Second, filmmakers can spit out all the spy and action films they want, but there is only one Bond series, it has an historical mountain of international support and fans, and it will always be in class by itself.

True; Bond is a genre in its own right. It's not like they're creating a new franchise with this film.
    I'm getting the feeling that the man from uncle is going to be another
    Wild,Wild West. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    I'm getting the feeling that the man from uncle is going to be another
    Wild,Wild West. :))

So is Henry Cavill going to get a hit song out of it?
    I'm sure it would be Super, man ! :D
  • Le SamouraiLe Samourai Honolulu, HIPosts: 573MI6 Agent
    To be honest, I was way more excited about UNCLE back when Steven Soderbergh was attached to direct and George Clooney was going to play Napoleon Solo.
    —Le Samourai

A Gent in Training.... A blog about my continuing efforts to be improve myself, be a better person, and lead a good life. It incorporates such far flung topics as fitness, self defense, music, style, food and drink, and personal philosophy.
    Agent In Training
  • CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
    I just watched an episode of the old series that is on syndication in my area and I have a hard time figuring out what they were trying to do with this film since they changed so much of the blueprint of the series. Now this worked fine with the MI series for me. The changing tech tricks and location and stunt work keep each film fresh. However, the charm of the old UNCLE series was how much they were able to do with the weekly TV budget. All the interiors are obviously studio sets and many of the exteriors are just different locations around California (which is the same thing MI did). What made the show click were the two lead actors and their boss and that usually their nemesis was THRUSH. The quality of it varied depending on the scripts but it was more or less engaging as a spy series.

Adapting any TV series from any decade is always a big gamble and most often is overdone because they try to capture the spirit of the whole series in one film. They are miscast, given convoluted plots and the creators try to beat the audience over the head with lackluster charm. There are always a few that actually succeed, but in most cases it seems that the people who want to create these projects just can't seem to get the proper perspective on them from page one.
    I just watched an episode of the old series that is on syndication in my area and I have a hard time figuring out what they were trying to do with this film since they changed so much of the blueprint of the series. Now this worked fine with the MI series for me. The changing tech tricks and location and stunt work keep each film fresh. However, the charm of the old UNCLE series was how much they were able to do with the weekly TV budget. All the interiors are obviously studio sets and many of the exteriors are just different locations around California (which is the same thing MI did). What made the show click were the two lead actors and their boss and that usually their nemesis was THRUSH. The quality of it varied depending on the scripts but it was more or less engaging as a spy series.

Adapting any TV series from any decade is always a big gamble and most often is overdone because they try to capture the spirit of the whole series in one film. They are miscast, given convoluted plots and the creators try to beat the audience over the head with lackluster charm. There are always a few that actually succeed, but in most cases it seems that the people who want to create these projects just can't seem to get the proper perspective on them from page one.

The characters' backgrounds have been changed considerably for this movie, and U.N.C.L.E. isn't the same well-known organisation. The original series' characters were never part of the CIA or KGB. Kuryakin's background is revealed when his visits the U.N.C.L.E. training school. U.N.C.L.E. trained its own agents. The MI film series works because it is very different from the original TV series whilst this Man from U.N.C.L.E. film has taken many elements from the TV show and messed with them. If it wasn't trying to be so much like the old series it wouldn't look as bad. One of my favorite things about the TV was how futuristic it looked. Setting this film in the past means that the film can't have the same coolness factor that the original show had. If it were set in the present, Illya Kuryakin wouldn't have the same effect because the cold war is over. But even with a movie set in the past, nobody cares now about an American and a Russia working together. And a middle-aged Waverly? The charm of his character came so much from him being an 80-year-old man. From the reviews, it seems like all the charm of the old series is gone and this new film is more of a fashion show for Solo's suits, which are absolutely nothing like what the original character wore.
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    We was at an underground station yesterday (we was off to watch Millwall play ) :)) any how ,on the platform ,was a big poster ,for the new man from UNCLE film ,with the caption ,will Guy Ritchie ,give James Bond a run for his money ?
    I was very tempted to write ,in your dreams on it ,in big black marker pen :D
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    :)) :)) :))
    I think the simple answer is. ..... NO ! :D
    :)) :)) :))
    I think the simple answer is. ..... NO ! :D

The new MI movie did in many ways, but it really doesn't look like The Man from U.N.C.L.E. movie will by any means. Setting this movie in the 1960s is the first thing that says it can't compete with Bond. Bond is moving forward, which is the only way to stay on top. Going back is going behind. The Man from U.N.C.L.E. TV show was progressive in its politics and was very innovative with the gadgets (a bigger part of The Man from U.N.C.L.E. than they ever were with Bond). It was a futuristic show with a headquarters like the Starship Enterprise. If the new movie was moving forward and creating new innovations, maybe it would have a chance against Bond. But by keeping it in the past it has no chance. And that's why I'm entirely against Bond being set in the past. A James Bond set in the 1950s or 1960s would no longer have the relevance to today's world that it needs to survive.
    Most of the early signs are that the man from uncle will not be the
    Big hit needed to spawn a few sequels.
    Does any one know if they have to walk through a dry cleaners to get into the UNCLE HQ ,or have they updated that
    and now walk through a kebab shop :D
    From what I've read, there is really nothing kept from the
    Classic TV show, also having David Beckham as a Russian spy ?
    Much as I respect David as an actor but that's a bit of a stretch ! :))
    Does any one know if they have to walk through a dry cleaners to get into the UNCLE HQ ,or have they updated that

I'm guessing there isn't a headquarters. From the trailer it doesn't seem like U.N.C.L.E. had been formed yet, or if it even will be a worldwide intelligence organisation. Maybe by the end of the film they will have a headquarters. It seems like the premise is completely different.
    From what I've read, there is really nothing kept from the
    Classic TV show, also having David Beckham as a Russian spy ?
    Much as I respect David as an actor but that's a bit of a stretch ! :))

Oh dear - I did not know about that lol Thats suicide right there! :D
    Matt S wrote:

I'm guessing there isn't a headquarters. From the trailer it doesn't seem like U.N.C.L.E. had been formed yet, or if it even will be a worldwide intelligence organisation. Maybe by the end of the film they will have a headquarters. It seems like the premise is completely different.

I seem to remember ,that they used the UN building in NYC as the HQ ,and will MR Waverly be the UNCLE boss ,but
    it seems Mr Wa*kerly is in charge :)
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent

Not sure, but to reach the lair of the bad guys they walk through The Den :D
    I'd better quickly point out David Beckham is only a guest spot ;)
    ( it's been well publicised, so I didn't think a spoiler was needed)
    Matt S wrote:

I seem to remember ,that they used the UN building in NYC as the HQ ,and will MR Waverly be the UNCLE boss ,but
    it seems Mr Wa*kerly is in charge :)

The UN building was not the HQ. They showed establishing shots of UN building, but there isn't street access to the building where there would be a tailor's shop. I believe the HQ was supposed to be located nearby in Midtown East. It would be a long walk from a tailor's shop to go underground to the UN building.
    I was only 6 at the time ,but I was right in remembering the UN building albeit not as the HQ :) ly
    If true, another big downer for me is, apparently they're not
    Using the fantastic theme music :#
    http://www.televisiontunes.com/man_from_uncle.html
    If true, another big downer for me is, apparently they're not
    Using the fantastic theme music :#
    http://www.televisiontunes.com/man_from_uncle.html

That would be disappointing, though that link is not an arrangement of the theme as it was used in any of the four seasons of the show. Here is the most well-known version of Jerry Goldsmith's theme, arranged by Lalo Schifrin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLH_ovNosSA

And here is the original (and best) version by Jerry Goldsmith: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEtUiRkOnZ8
    :)) I couldn't get a link to the original theme.