Is Man from UNCLE making EON Nervous?

12346»

Comments

• superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    Watched Uncle and MI last night on blueray( did not see either at cinema) have to say I enjoyed them both more than Spectre and I think Cavill would make a great replacement for Craig and there is no golden rule to say an actor can't be in more than one succesful franchise, any things possible in the movies( who would have thought a short blond haired guy would play 007).Tbh not really a fan of watching films at the cinema so will rewatch Spectre when it comes out on DVD and May change my mind. Kings man is my spy movie of the year though :)
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,294MI6 Agent
    superdaddy wrote:
    I think Cavill would make a great replacement for Craig and there is no golden rule to say an actor can't be in more than one succesful franchise

UNCLE wasnt successful anyhow -{

Going to finally watch it this week
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I really enjoyed Kingsman, as it came from the team that made Kick Ass, I
    Knew what to expect, and thoroughly enjoyed it. :) same with MI5, a great
    Action film, with a few great laughs. Sadly I was looking forward to The Man
    From UNCLE, as I loved the old TV show and films ( from repeats on bbc2).
    Really wanted to like it, but sadly it didn't do it for me :# . I'll give it another
    Go on Bluray, as I may have been a bit harsh on it on my first viewing.
    I might be the only one who thinks this but ........ There is something very
    Odd with H Cavill's jaw line, he reminds me of Stan from American Dad.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    welshboy78 wrote:
    superdaddy wrote:
    I think Cavill would make a great replacement for Craig and there is no golden rule to say an actor can't be in more than one succesful franchise

But Superman was successful. EON tends to look for actors for Bond who don't at first command a-list salaries. I'm not sure if Cavill is there yet, but he's much closer than Craig was when he became Bond.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    Thanks Matt S I was referring to Superman franchise ( glad you got it) and I think Cavill would take a smaller salary to play Bond tbh -{
    Always thought GL was a bit odd looking arouned the jaw TP, still made a great Bond IMO though -{
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    I have never fully understood the argument that EON avoids well known actors due to cost as the films themselves are very profitable. The franchise is very much blue chip since the reboot so if they do avoid names it may be for other reasons besides being cheap. They tend to use B listers and make them into stars. I think it may have more to do with control over their product as they have a keen sense of ownership. Of course as an actors tenure progresses this can change. Daniel seems to have had more input than any previous Bonds and is now an exec Producer no less.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
    Whether or not salary is an issue, I think Cavill being Superman is the biggest issue. Cubby didn't want Brosnan playing Bond and Remington Steele at the same time. And I don't think EON would want to share its star now with another huge film series.
    Last Bond in tights was Tim Dalton so Henry might be OK too. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Matt S wrote:
    welshboy78 wrote:
    superdaddy wrote:

But Superman was successful. EON tends to look for actors for Bond who don't at first command a-list salaries. I'm not sure if Cavill is there yet, but he's much closer than Craig was when he became Bond.

Of course - was referring to UNCLE as a spy franchise since more relevant to Bond. I guess this was supposed to be one of many?

Would EON pick him? After all he was behind DC in the pecking order for CR was he not?
    Last Bond in tights was Tim Dalton so Henry might be OK too. :D
    :)) :))
    zaphod99 wrote:
    I have never fully understood the argument that EON avoids well known actors due to cost as the films themselves are very profitable. The franchise is very much blue chip since the reboot so if they do avoid names it may be for other reasons besides being cheap. They tend to use B listers and make them into stars. I think it may have more to do with control over their product as they have a keen sense of ownership. Of course as an actors tenure progresses this can change. Daniel seems to have had more input than any previous Bonds and is now an exec Producer no less.

I think your correct. I imagine continuity is a huge factor and more likely to get longer term comitment from a B lister then an A lister which is better for the series to some extent. Imagine Bond changing each film - would be frustrating
  • Robbo88Robbo88 Newcastle, England.Posts: 253MI6 Agent
    I think Cavill would do a fine job. Have you saw him now? He looks completely different for his new movie "Sand castle."
    henry_cavill_head_buzzed_0.jpg
    "Sic Parvis Magna"
    "Greatness From Small Beginnings."
    He also pulled out of a film called Sutton based on the Ducan Falconer novels about an SBS commando which I believe he would have be great in ( his brothers are marine commandos)not sure of the reason but have heard he was unhappy with the script, good job he was'nt signed up to do QOS then( kidding Sir Miles) :))
    My mistake the film was called Stratton not Sutten 8-)
    Nobody's perfect .......... Well almost nobody ! ;)
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,279MI6 Agent
    Cavill doesn't have much mystery does he? In terms of his narrative.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    :)) indeed TP. Have you watched Spy with Jason Statham and Jude Law, very funny -{
    Yes very funny :)) Statham sends up his Hardman image :D
    So I finally watched U.N.C.L.E. last night

Overall I enjoyed it as it was fun in a lot of way and hope a sequel surfaces eventually despite it not setting the box office on fire.

I actually thought Cavill was ok but def wouldn't want him as Bond - Hammer was easily the star of the movie for me!!

As many said before - its a great looking movie
  • Markyb64Markyb64 Posts: 86MI6 Agent
    welshboy78 wrote:
    So I finally watched U.N.C.L.E. last night

Overall I enjoyed it as it was fun in a lot of way and hope a sequel surfaces eventually despite it not setting the box office on fire.

I actually thought Cavill was ok but def wouldn't want him as Bond - Hammer was easily the star of the movie for me!!

As many said before - its a great looking movie
    Totally agree..the way Guy Ritchie fimed it , really made it feel like you were watching " a sixties spy movie" plus the soundtrack was outstanding (almost but not quite bordering on Barryesque music dare I say!) In fact I ordered it next day online...the composer Daniel Pemberton...a future Bond composer :v
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    Beautifully shot. But it was an awful film. Dead boring, I couldn't wait for the end to get out. Just tried re-watching it. Made it about an hour in. Get's worse with the second viewing. Such a dull film.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    Oddly my opinion has changed slightly on my second viewing, it's
    still not a fantastic film but I did enjoy it more. Second time around,
    and hope they get at least a second film. :)
    I only want a second film if they bring back U.N.C.L.E. What bothered me the most about the film is that there wasn't even U.N.C.L.E.! It didn't deserve the to be named after the television series.
  • Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,969MI6 Agent
    edited January 2016
    I enjoyed The Man From UNCLE movie. I know the original format only from my familiarity with the extended, movie versions that were repeatedly broadcast on TV when I was a kid. Although other posters have pointed out the details of how this new movie departs from the original, it does seem to me to have a similar tone to what I remember: quirky, and quirkily at variance from Bond.

Cavill's vocal performance as Napoleon Solo is well judged: his vocal style is half way between Robert Vaughn and Mike Brady of The Brady Bunch; the epitome of sixties smooth. The period mise en scene and stylings are satisfying, and the exquisite 60s-style score is often Barryesque (as close to the score for The Ipcress File as to the Bonds). Indeed, this retro setting is the one attribute of the UNCLE film which makes it stand out from the Bonds, which have always opted for contemporary settings. The only way we ever get to enjoy a spectacle of Bond in the 60s is by watching the Bond films made in the 60s... though I thought that Tarantino's (rejected) offer in the 2000s to make CR as a period film was an interesting/exciting one.
    Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.