Is Man from UNCLE making EON Nervous?

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    alexeberlin, you obviously love the movie. So good for you. {[]
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    Nice to see you making new friends TP :)) :)) :))
    On a totally separate and unrelated issue .......... :p
    How to spot a Troll :
    ( or the best way to come across as a friendly sort of chap ) ;)

" serious question, what went so wrong with your life that you take pleasure in mocking a film that you haven't even seen"
    Always start off with a bit of personal abuse, this tends to lend itself to
    a friendly, good natured discussion.
    " You sound like an obnoxious five year old."
    Immediately follow this with another bit of personal abuse, as your reader
    May have missed the first insult. ;)
    " I don't feel the need to pour scorn on Blofeld Begins when it opens"
    Quickly confirm, the need to contradict yourself by ..... Pouring scorn
    on a film you haven't seen yet "
    " BTW The Man From UNCLE is still playing at all the cinemas near me"
    End with an observation, a personal one, which was all the original post
    was too. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,294MI6 Agent
    I just noticed that The man from uncle has already
    left the local omniplex cinema. Now that was a very short
    run. MI5 is still going. :))

I went to go see it before my flight home but it was only on once a day hence ended up seeing Mission Impossible instead which was 4 showings a day still.
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • blame_thatcherblame_thatcher Posts: 199MI6 Agent
    Not with box-office figures like these:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=main&id=uncle.htm

There won't be any more Man from UNCLE films for anyone to worry about.
  • alexeberlinalexeberlin Posts: 104MI6 Agent
    On a totally separate and unrelated issue .......... :p
    How to spot a Troll :
    ( or the best way to come across as a friendly sort of chap ) ;)

" serious question, what went so wrong with your life that you take pleasure in mocking a film that you haven't even seen"
    Always start off with a bit of personal abuse, this tends to lend itself to
    a friendly, good natured discussion.
    " You sound like an obnoxious five year old."
    Immediately follow this with another bit of personal abuse, as your reader
    May have missed the first insult. ;)
    " I don't feel the need to pour scorn on Blofeld Begins when it opens"
    Quickly confirm, the need to contradict yourself by ..... Pouring scorn
    on a film you haven't seen yet "
    " BTW The Man From UNCLE is still playing at all the cinemas near me"
    End with an observation, a personal one, which was all the original post
    was too. :))

is that you attempting to disprove that you sound like an obnoxious five year old??? because, y'know, irony..
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    edited September 2015
    Another way to spot a troll is that they don't give up when they're beaten... :# :))

I saw both M:I5 and U.N.C.L.E. and have to say, despite being a massive fan of the UNCLE TV series, I found the film quite disappointing - nowhere near as good as M:I5. I like Henry Cavill as Superman but find his more earth-bound characterisations less memorable. It's a shame as Guy Ritchie's take on Sherlock Holmes was brilliant - but then again, Robert Downey Jr is a fantastic actor.
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • BodieBodie Posts: 211MI6 Agent
    I'm with Charmed and Dangerous. Went to see U.N.C.L.E. last night and while it passed a couple of hours pleasantly enough it was disappointing. Any connection to the original TV serious was accidential. They could have made the same movie and called the main characters John Smith and Ivan Petrov and you would have had the same film. Robert Vaughn's Solo was TV's Bond. Cavill's is Neal Caffrey joins the CIA. David McCallum's Kuryakin was always cool and unflappable. Hamer's Kuryakin is a borderline psychopath with anger management issues.

Film versions of old TV series have tended to be poor (Starsky & Hutch, I Spy, The Equaliser) because they don't stay faithful to the original material. The only one who has pulled it off is J. J. Abrams with Star Trek. Updated it enough to be relevant to a modern audience, but stayed faithful enough to the original to keep people like me who are old enough to have watched the show as a kid happy.

Had high hopes when I heard Guy Ritchie was involved as I love what he did with Sherlock Holmes but this was a wasted opportunity.

Would imagine EON are sitting back with their feet up on the desk smiling as another potential competitor bites the dust.
    edited September 2015
    My last word ...... :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) " Times 10" :p

" I know who you are, what you are, and why you've come
    You've made a mistake You will not succeed "

There's a quote Alexeberlin can Google to find which film it's from. ;)
    I understand Jerry Goldsmith's theme plays no part in the score whatsoever, in which case the film deserved to tank.
    My last word ...... :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) " Times 10" :p

" I know who you are, what you are, and why you've come
    You've made a mistake You will not succeed "

There's a quote Alexeberlin can Google to find which film it's from. ;)
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    I understand Jerry Goldsmith's theme plays no part in the score whatsoever, in which case the film deserved to tank.

There's a half-second snatch where The Challenger's version of the theme plays when Napoleon switches on a radio in a van... And only us die-hard old UNCLE fans would get it :)) :#
    It must have been tuned to channel D. ;)
    :)) :)) :))

like it barely plays in "the spy with my face"?

BTW what is Tom Hardy like to work with?
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,279MI6 Agent
    Off topic slightly, but catching Craig in The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, where imo he seems easier to watch, easier on the eye and mainly more Bond like than in his Bond films, I wish that had earned the anticipated sequel...
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    edited September 2015
    Such a shame the sequel never got the green light. Brilliant characters
    In TGWTDT, the film leaves you wanting to know more about them. I find
    Craig, a more relaxed or natural actor in this and things like Layer Cake.
    Although I guess, Bond is more restrictive for an actor as it comes with
    Fixed parameters, and history. While other roles can be much more flexible
    for an actor to " Play" the way they want ?
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Such a shame the sequel never got the green light. Brilliant characters
    In TGWTDT, the film leaves you wanting to know more about them. I find
    Craig, a more relaxed or natural actor in this and things like Layer Cake.
    Although I guess, Bond is more restrictive for an actor as it comes with
    Fixed parameters, and history. While other roles can be much more flexible
    for an actor to " Play" the way they want ?

But Daniel Craig hasn't played Bond in a way that is has been played before. Bond always seemed more relaxed and natural before Brosnan. There's no reason why Craig can't play Bond in a more natural way. There's no reason why he has to play Bond so wooden.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    The IMDb message board for the film is hilarious. Regardless of how good the film might be it is actually a box-office flop, so its more delusional fanboys are questioning and discrediting all the financial data that confirms its failure in that regard.
    The IMDb message board for the film is hilarious. Regardless of how good the film might be it is actually a box-office flop, so its more delusional fanboys are questioning and discrediting all the financial data that confirms its failure in that regard.

That IS absolutely hilarious. the way that one guy is having a total meltdown posting " vit's a flop" over and over again. Still all they need to do is ban that one person's ISP and the board will be fine. That's what happened on the Dredd board and the troll and all his sock puppets vanished.
    Do you remember when that happened on the Dredd board? :))
    That's what happened on the Dredd board and the troll and all his sock puppets vanished.
    Most Bond fans who uise forums such as these are familiar with Net_Geek aka Scojo aka Moomoo aka Scott Nestel, etc. etc.
    That's what happened on the Dredd board and the troll and all his sock puppets vanished.
    Most Bond fans who uise forums such as these are familiar with Net_Geek aka Scojo aka Moomoo aka Scott Nestel, etc. etc.

most people on the IMDB can name several notorious trolls

like it barely plays in "the spy with my face"?

BTW what is Tom Hardy like to work with?
    I suspect you already know that the Man from UNCLE films were just 2-part episodes recut for the big screen.

I have never worked with Tom Hardy.
  • Lady IceLady Ice Posts: 279MI6 Agent
    The Man from UNCLE was boring. When Hugh Grant is one of the highlights of a film, it's not a good sign.
    :)) :)) :))
    http://www.dailydot.com/geek/man-from-uncle-fandom-slash-history/?tu=gav
    Great article on the old show, new film, fan fiction etc
    Lady Ice wrote:
    When Hugh Grant is one of the highlights of a film, it's not a good sign.
    That bad, huh?

I see the film has scraped to $100M at the box-office. Just another $75M-100M to go for Warner Bros. to break even. :s
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    Matt S wrote:
    But Daniel Craig hasn't played Bond in a way that is has been played before. Bond always seemed more relaxed and natural before Brosnan. There's no reason why Craig can't play Bond in a more natural way. There's no reason why he has to play Bond so wooden.

I don't find Craig's Bond wooden in the slightest---quite the contrary; he seems to me quite natural and comfortable in Bond's skin. He does have an intensity, but IMO that's quite different: his own interpretation of the role.

I've not been interested in UNCLE, although I enjoyed the original show...the trailer just didn't grab me. I'll rent the Blu-ray at some point.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    Bodie wrote:
    . Film versions of old TV series have tended to be poor (Starsky & Hutch, I Spy, The Equaliser) because they don't stay faithful to the original material. The only one who has pulled it off is J. J. Abrams with Star Trek. Updated it enough to be relevant to a modern audience, but stayed faithful enough to the original to keep people like me who are old enough to have watched the show as a kid happy.

Sorry, had to comment on this bit. The Trek Reboot has been a commercial success, but the writing and depiction of the characters and technology is a complete mess. The first film has so many cliched contrivances to make everything fit together it insults the audience's intelligence, and the second one veers from irrational tropey characterisations, bad science and engineering ideas to blatant plagiarism of The Wrath Of Khan script!
    I suspect the general audience enjoyed it because most do not give earlier Trek any regard far less a comparison. They will be ignorant of the fact it's dumbed down! In this regard, Abrahms Star Trek is The worst of all the other failures.
    I do go to the cinema to relax and suspend disbelief. Not to have my intelegence insulted.

Re U.N.C.L.E, I too will watch it on DVD to see what it's like, being forewarned that it won't have any of the things I loved about the sixties series. MaybevI will appreciate it more that way.

Perhaps the House Of Eon really were onto something by always making Bond contemporary. Sir Sean and Sir Roger's films are true to their eras. No post modern retro recreation needed.
    I sound like I am talking about Captain Scarlet! (The series, not you AOS.)
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Bodie wrote:
    . Film versions of old TV series have tended to be poor (Starsky & Hutch, I Spy, The Equaliser) because they don't stay faithful to the original material. The only one who has pulled it off is J. J. Abrams with Star Trek. Updated it enough to be relevant to a modern audience, but stayed faithful enough to the original to keep people like me who are old enough to have watched the show as a kid happy.

Sorry, had to comment on this bit. The Trek Reboot has been a commercial success, but the writing and depiction of the characters and technology is a complete mess. The first film has so many cliched contrivances to make everything fit together it insults the audience's intelligence, and the second one veers from irrational tropey characterisations, bad science and engineering ideas to blatant plagiarism of The Wrath Of Khan script!
    I suspect the general audience enjoyed it because most do not give earlier Trek any regard far less a comparison. They will be ignorant of the fact it's dumbed down! In this regard, Abrahms Star Trek is The worst of all the other failures.
    I do go to the cinema to relax and suspend disbelief. Not to have my intelegence insulted.

Re U.N.C.L.E, I too will watch it on DVD to see what it's like, being forewarned that it won't have any of the things I loved about the sixties series. MaybevI will appreciate it more that way.

Perhaps the House Of Eon really were onto something by always making Bond contemporary. Sir Sean and Sir Roger's films are true to their eras. No post modern retro recreation needed.
    I sound like I am talking about Captain Scarlet! (The series, not you AOS.)

I agree. The modern Star Trek films have stayed fairly true to the characters and premise of the original series, but the films are missing the complexity and meaning of the television series. The Man from U.N.C.L.E. films are much better films, even though they have nothing in common with the television show other than the characters and some of the tone. But I don't know how they can even call the film "The Man from U.N.C.L.E." when there is no U.N.C.L.E.!
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits