Is Man from UNCLE making EON Nervous?

Comments

• always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    Sorry Matt s ,I have to disagree with you :) ,I prefer Lalo Schifrins version ,after all he did do the Starsky and Hutch theme too , :)
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Sorry Matt s ,I have to disagree with you :) ,I prefer Lalo Schifrins version ,after all he did do the Starsky and Hutch theme too , :)

Schifrin took Goldsmith's very unique and powerful theme (in 5-4, like Schifrin's theme for Mission Impossible two years later) and dumbed it down. Schifrin is an excellent composer, but he's not on Goldsmith's level. Do I need to list all the incredible themes Goldsmith has written?
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,343Chief of Staff
    Matt S wrote:
    Do I need to list all the incredible themes Goldsmith has written?

Not as far as I'm concerned. Wonderful composer!
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    edited August 2015
    Re the tailor's shop it was Del Floria's.... That was inspired. Nowadays the UNCLE agents would be walking through Poundland or Cafe Nero... :#

Re the music - Goldsmith's big brassy original for Series One is still the best, closely followed by the quieter Series Two's flute-driven theme.

And no yellow badges or UNCLE guns either....
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    edited August 2015
    I think U.N.C.L.E. May do alright, but one big problem is it says Solo and Kuriakyn have to work together. - Origin story. I'd almost be willing to bet that IF we do get the comm pens and triangle badges, they will be in a final scene right at the end of the film. A "we want to make a sequel please!" Routine. I have only seen the first Holmes film Guy Richie did, but it screamed for its sequel to make use of Moriarty. I know there is a sequel, I just haven't seen it yet.
    It's funny, but I have noticed that while classic books or films may or may not work if they are sequelised or rebooted in film: Batman, Marvel, Lord Of The Rings and of course Bond himself are all good examples, classic TV to film usually DOESN'T work!
    The Avengers as noted above, but also, Lost In Space, The Saint, the Dukes Of Hazard, The A Team.
    Classic animated adaptations often result in abominations too. Masters Of The Universe, Inspector Gadget, Scooby Do, The Flintstones, Mr Magoo, and of course, The Thunderbirds.

Considering that track record, Bond (and the House Of EoN) has nothing to worry about. But maybe camp U.N.C.L.E does!
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    The 60s had some fantastic TV themes, one of my favourites
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7eGitzo6rm0
    The streets of San Francisco. -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • alexeberlinalexeberlin Posts: 104MI6 Agent
    saw this today, really enjoyed it. Well paced and funny, good action scenes. The leads have great chemistry. I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but a lot of the tv series trademarks do appear.

and I didn't even notice Beckham
    " and I didn't even notice Beckham" .. Blasphemer ! :))
    Nice to hear. -{ , maybe it might not be that bad, after all. ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,585Chief of Staff
    " and I didn't even notice Beckham" .. Blasphemer ! :))
    Nice to hear. -{ , maybe it might not be that bad, after all. ;)

I've read several decent/good reviews...again, it's probably down to 'attitude' when you watch films like this...if you 'go with it' perhaps it's a good film, but if you constantly refer back to the TV series, maybe less so...?
    YNWA 97
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:

Schifrin took Goldsmith's very unique and powerful theme (in 5-4, like Schifrin's theme for Mission Impossible two years later) and dumbed it down. Schifrin is an excellent composer, but he's not on Goldsmith's level. Do I need to list all the incredible themes Goldsmith has written?

Good points as usual MATT S . its all down to personal preference and what you can remeber ,it would be like comparing the view from the top of the Empire state or the view from the top of the rock :) both excellent views (TOTR for me) :D
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    I'm guessing it's been made for a new audience, not the old one ? ;)
    I have a lot of fondness for the tv series, and there are things that pay off if you are a fan, that a casual audience won't notice. I'm unsure of spoiler policy so I'll be careful.
    I kind of look at it as a series one pilot made without the constrictions of 60's network TV, but as a standalone movie I enjoyed it a lot.
    Even if you don't get the movie get the soundtrack- it is amazing.
    I'd be happy if we got another UNCLE movie in a couple of years, and to be honest the fact that the Guardian doesn't like it is a good sign IMO.
  • CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
    Most of the early signs are that the man from uncle will not be the
    Big hit needed to spawn a few sequels.

Thank heavens.
    Re the tailor's shop it was Del Floria's.... That was inspired. Nowadays the UNCLE agents would be walking through Poundland or Cafe Nero... :#

Re the music - Goldsmith's big brassy original for Series One is still the best, closely followed by the quieter Series Two's flute-driven theme.

I must be really getting senile....I always thought the flute theme was the first season and the brassy one came after....
    Matt S wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

I'm guessing there isn't a headquarters. From the trailer it doesn't seem like U.N.C.L.E. had been formed yet, or if it even will be a worldwide intelligence organisation. Maybe by the end of the film they will have a headquarters. It seems like the premise is completely different.

I seem to remember ,that they used the UN building in NYC as the HQ ,and will MR Waverly be the UNCLE boss ,but
    it seems Mr Wa*kerly is in charge :)

The UN building was not the HQ. They showed establishing shots of UN building, but there isn't street access to the building where there would be a tailor's shop. I believe the HQ was supposed to be located nearby in Midtown East. It would be a long walk from a tailor's shop to go underground to the UN building.

I had a great fondness for the idea of having the shop as a cover entrance for the HQ. However after recently seeing an episode, they walked through the the hidden door into the HQ on the other side that seemed to just have a female staff member who gave them their id badges. I immediately thought - where is the security? Wouldn't they have an armed guard or guards in this room that would id them and hand out the badges? The other odd thing is for some reason I always thought the HQ was below street level. However, since I saw them enter the shop from the street and walk directly though the backroom and into the HQ, it would have had to have been above ground. Right?
    Only my guess of course but I'd say that female agent
    Could get all " Bruce Lee" on your ass, if needed. ;)
    I vaguely remember a shot from behind the girls desk
    Showing her hand on a gun, or am I mixing it up with
    True Lies ? :)) .... I'm getting to that age. :#

I must be really getting senile....I always thought the flute theme was the first season and the brassy one came after....

See Matt S's post at 60, above.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    That's True Lies.
    Soon you will die & be reincarnated and you'll use the "Too young" excuse...
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
    :)) nice one, chrisisall!
    :)) I use which ever works. ;)
    :)) I use which ever works. ;)
    I usually just play the "Too many Martinis" card. :s
    All this talk of reincarnation, now where have I heard that before ? :D
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Only my guess of course but I'd say that female agent
    Could get all " Bruce Lee" on your ass, if needed. ;)

That is definitely from one if the UNCLE episodes too.

Also, the badges had a chemical which was only neutralised if the girl on duty put the badge in - she had a counteracting chemical on her fingertips - and in one episode the THRUSH agents were detained by security after breaking into UNCLE hq and gassing the girl.

Great idea but I bet she didn't eat too many donuts at work :D
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
    Great news C&D,I knew my mind was still tack sharp
    ( no matter what those medical quacks think !)
    ( my falut for seeing ducks on medical grounds, they
    where just wandering around the hospital ) ...... Now why
    Did I start posting ? :))
    Now that you mention it, I remember the number tags did
    Have a security reason ....... Funny how the memories come back.
    I have the Box set of Uncle movies, must watch one today.
    Most of the early signs are that the man from uncle will not be the
    Big hit needed to spawn a few sequels.

Thank heavens.

what a spiteful childish response. Just because you don't like it ( have you seen it?) you want to deprive people who do?
    To be honest there is room for many Spy movies, I think. ;) Although
    I do think The Man from Uncle's biggest competition is actually Kingsman, not
    Bond. ;)
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    To be honest there is room for many Spy movies, I think. ;) Although
    I do think The Man from Uncle's biggest competition is actually Kingsman, not
    Bond. ;)

You're right. The only real competition Bond has had in recent years was Bourne, with many people preferring it to Bond 10 years ago.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,585Chief of Staff
    Lots of reviews in the papers for this now...pretty much all of them are very positive -{
    YNWA 97
    I always loved Robert Vaughn's double breasted waistcoats -{
    http://www.ew.com/article/2015/08/13/robert-vaughn-original-man-uncle
    Nice interview with the man himself.
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Lots of reviews in the papers for this now...pretty much all of them are very positive -{
    *sigh* I read a lot on this movie and I'll rent with an option to buy later if it's any good at all.
    No original theme... that would be the hook for me.
    The stupid Lost In Space movie made the same mistake.