Budget Bond Collectors Resource

Comments

• canoe2canoe2 Posts: 2,007MI6 Agent
    Peppermill wrote:
    Gaining 50 lbs for this article isn't called research, it is called extended holiday season! :))

That was the fun part! Losing the 50 lbs so I can write the article for skinny guys is going to be torture! :))
  • James BrosnanJames Brosnan Posts: 865MI6 Agent
    Great idea for an article John. I am small (125 lbs), thin (32-34" chest, 29" waist), and short (5'7"). The best advice I can give to the thin or short guys is:

Find a good tailor!

And, if you want to go frugal with it:

Marry a good tailor.

:)) I'm sure I have some other things I've learned along the way that might help when you write those articles, so let me know if I can be of any assistance. -{
    "Whoever she was, I must have scared the living daylights out of her." & "Tell mother I died game."
    CR/QoS, TLD, DN, GE, TSWLM, LTK, TND, TWiNE, TMWTGG, TB
    http://www.iconicalternatives.com/author/james-brosnan/
    https://www.instagram.com/shawn.michael.bongiorno/
    Thanks James Brosnan! Believe me, I'll be picking your brain!
    New post! One of our guest writers, Ollis C., looks at some of Bond's favorite warm weather suiting:

http://www.iconicalternatives.com/2017/05/14/bonds-favorite-warm-weather-suit-fabrics/
  • PeppermillPeppermill DelftPosts: 2,860MI6 Agent
    So happy to see the correct use of the word suiting for once! Looks like a great article!
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    canoe2 wrote:
    New post! One of our guest writers, Ollis C., looks at some of Bond's favorite warm weather suiting:

http://www.iconicalternatives.com/2017/05/14/bonds-favorite-warm-weather-suit-fabrics/
    Just in time for the British summer...... Oh wait..... Best keep the overcoat, pea coat and Altausse to hand :#
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • ShadowfallShadowfall Posts: 42MI6 Agent
    Funny Budget Bond story for you guys.

I am currently working in a tourist attraction (an aquarium) and a customer came to my retail counter in a decent approximation of Bond's Haiti outfit from QoS. His jacket had an elasticated bottom but the markers were all there.

I really wanted to ask him about his choice of outfit but didn't pluck up the courage. (Never worked out how to broach the subject of Bond clothing when I recognise it) firstly because there was the possibility he had out the outfit together without realising the bond connection and secondly i didn't want to distract him and his family away from their day out by discussing Bond.

I did sneak in a Bond reference with my parting terrible fish based joke however.

'what do you get if you cross Sean Connery with a salmon?... Sofishtication. (Groan).

Has anyone else been in a situation where they have seen someone in Bond attire? And did you mention it at the time?
  • drum007drum007 New York, NYPosts: 684MI6 Agent
    Anyone find any Belfast Patterson leather jacket alternatives? I've jumped down the ebay rabbit hole and it's daunting! lol
    Shadowfall: That punchline should be a code word to help identify other Bond fans out in the wild. :))

Not too many folks are inspired by Bond-style where I live. UK (and many U.S.) brands simply don't make it to these shores. So when I run into someone wearing a Bond-style outfit, I normally just think of it as coincidence. After all, 007 didn't invent the navy polo/light colored jeans/chukka look. He just made it cooler B-)

drum007: The big issue I've found with older leather on ebay is the fit. Anything older than 10 yrs fits like a box on most people, with huge armholes, wide sleeves and a square body. Having said that, if you keep an eye out for older Banana Republic or Massimo Dutti leather jackets, they have a much more European fit I've found. They don't come up often, and they're more expensive than all those Wilsons out there, but worth being patient for.
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,328MI6 Agent
    Shadowfall wrote:
    Funny Budget Bond story for you guys.

I am currently working in a tourist attraction (an aquarium) and a customer came to my retail counter in a decent approximation of Bond's Haiti outfit from QoS. His jacket had an elasticated bottom but the markers were all there.

I really wanted to ask him about his choice of outfit but didn't pluck up the courage. (Never worked out how to broach the subject of Bond clothing when I recognise it) firstly because there was the possibility he had out the outfit together without realising the bond connection and secondly i didn't want to distract him and his family away from their day out by discussing Bond.

I did sneak in a Bond reference with my parting terrible fish based joke however.

'what do you get if you cross Sean Connery with a salmon?... Sofishtication. (Groan).

Has anyone else been in a situation where they have seen someone in Bond attire? And did you mention it at the time?

Not 100% sure it was a Bond thing, but I was stopped on the street by a policeman who asked if my Royale Harrington was "a Tom Ford jacket."
  • Bond_AmbitionsBond_Ambitions Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 460MI6 Agent
    Not 100% sure it was a Bond thing, but I was stopped on the street by a policeman who asked if my Royale Harrington was "a Tom Ford jacket."

hahaha what did you tell him?
  • Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,091MI6 Agent

hahaha what did you tell him?

What did you tell him, HH?

I once had someone as how much my Royale Harrington cost. He didn't ask if it was Tom Ford.
    edited May 2017
    drum007 wrote:
    Anyone find any Belfast Patterson leather jacket alternatives? I've jumped down the ebay rabbit hole and it's daunting! lol
    This is my current hunt, and has been for a few months now. I'm struggling tbh. Just nothing is ticking enough boxes :#
    I'm finding similar details but with a combination of wrong style collar, ribbed waist and or cuffs, not available in black etc etc I'm determined to find one though these jackets are rare.

EDIT I've given up. I've put an alert on eBay for Patterson but I won't hold my breath. I've bought a Matchless antique black Kensington instead.
  • armenianmoviemanarmenianmovieman The 818Posts: 674MI6 Agent
    Randomly browsing belts at Kohl's and it seems these 2 were decent alternatives for the Brunello Morocco belt, at about $25 each.

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-506270/dockers-tubular-stretch-braided-leather-belt.jsp

506270?wid=500&hei=500&op_sharpen=1

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2932503/mens-columbia-elevated-reversible-braided-belt.jsp

2932503?wid=500&hei=500&op_sharpen=1
    Yes. Consssssiderably.
  • CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,451MI6 Agent
    Randomly browsing belts at Kohl's and it seems these 2 were decent alternatives for the Brunello Morocco belt, at about $25 each.

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-506270/dockers-tubular-stretch-braided-leather-belt.jsp

506270?wid=500&hei=500&op_sharpen=1

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2932503/mens-columbia-elevated-reversible-braided-belt.jsp

2932503?wid=500&hei=500&op_sharpen=1

Canoe 2 had these belts listed on Iconic Alternatives. I picked up a pair at the time. Nothing fancy but they do the job.
    I have the Dockers one. Not the most amazing quality but it does the trick. Theres also a stretchy feel to it.
    Decided to try to put together a couple of looks from TGWTDT:
    DC-TGWTDT-Flatlay-1.jpg

TGWTDT-Blackwatch-Plaid-Overcoat-Flatlay.jpg
    Very nice canoe2, the great thing about these outfits is a lot of us might only need to add one or two items to get the look, Which is always a good thing.
    Chriscoop wrote:
    drum007 wrote:
    This is my current hunt, and has been for a few months now. I'm struggling tbh. Just nothing is ticking enough boxes :#
    I'm finding similar details but with a combination of wrong style collar, ribbed waist and or cuffs, not available in black etc etc I'm determined to find one though these jackets are rare.

EDIT I've given up. I've put an alert on eBay for Patterson but I won't hold my breath. I've bought a Matchless antique black Kensington instead.

This one has a similar vibe to the Patterson but is low on accurate details.
    https://www.hidepark.co.uk/item/mens/rob-leather-jacket-black/
    Happy World Whisky Day, everyone!
    James-Bond-World-Whisky-Day.jpg
  • Matt1979Matt1979 Posts: 44MI6 Agent
    canoe2 wrote:
    Happy World Whisky Day, everyone!
    James-Bond-World-Whisky-Day.jpg

Now that's a day worth celebrating!!

Canoe, I bought that jacket so hopefully it'll go well with the Taupe Burton trousers and will complete the Morocco look which I shall wear in Nice, South France next month.

I purchased a belt from eBay which I hoped would fit, however the woven section is more of a purple/brown material so will have to see when I pull it all together. If it doesn't match I've still got a £80+ belt in perfect condition for £15 so not too disheartened.
    IMG_5517.jpg
    Gotta love it when that happens! The belt looks great up close, I wouldn't worry too much about the color.
    edited May 2017
    It's been a busy week. I've ordered:

A BC alternative jacket (Morocco look).
    A woven belt (Morocco look - which as per an above post may or may not work)
    A pair of Aldo boots (Morocco look).
    A Magnoli Navy polo.

Only the belt has arrived so far so am looking forward to the postman arriving!!
    Pics when you have it all together! What are you using for the tie?
    canoe2 wrote:
    Pics when you have it all together! What are you using for the tie?

The Moss Bros wine one. I think it's on your site.
    Looking forward to seeing the complete look!
    canoe2 wrote:
    Looking forward to seeing the complete look!

Absolutely. Just have to hope the different shades of brown/tan/stone (Whatever it is) all work well together.
    I just ordered this Banana Republic jacket off ebay for $45 as an alternative to the Tom Ford that DC was wearing for all of the Spectre press interviews. Although the details are not exact, the color looks pretty good. I sized down hoping to get a more fitted look too. I'd like to find a close match for the Massimo Dutti sweater next although I may have to wait til fall.

s-l1600.jpg

craig-kimmell-17nov15-09.jpg
    Nice jacket! Looks like a pretty trim fit through the sleeves which is hard to find on older jackets.
  • Obi Sean KenobiObi Sean Kenobi Posts: 215MI6 Agent
    I have the Massimo Dutti sweater and have found this one from Combat Gent to be a very close alternative:

https://combatgent.com/knits/camel-slim-fit-v-neck-knit-sweater

drum007 wrote:
    I just ordered this Banana Republic jacket off ebay for $45 as an alternative to the Tom Ford that DC was wearing for all of the Spectre press interviews. Although the details are not exact, the color looks pretty good. I sized down hoping to get a more fitted look too. I'd like to find a close match for the Massimo Dutti sweater next although I may have to wait til fall.

s-l1600.jpg

craig-kimmell-17nov15-09.jpg