Next Bond after Craig: Rumours, etc

Comments

• HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    Amazing. It goes from Hiddleston has been offered the role to Hiddleston is not even being considered. Sounds more than a bit like "Clive Owen Syndrome". :)) -{
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,991Quartermasters
    Well, that's how you keep speculators---and punters---chasing their own tails. Seems a pretty easy thing to drop some misinformation, and change the odds. Almost SPECTRE-like :))

I shall remain 98.5% convinced that it's Hiddleston unless we hear otherwise :007)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,329MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    James Bond Radio. Don't know too much about them myself.

http://jamesbondradio.com

This is what they posted on their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/jamesbondradio/posts/1804666259770134?utm_content=bufferfd7c3&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Some of you may have seen the Tom Hiddleston rumours heating up on various Facebook pages over the last few days.

Apparently, the word on the street is that Tom filmed a screen test for Bond around a month ago and that Barbara has offered him the job. He's apparently "thinking about it."

With all that said, we have it on very good authority that none of this is actually true. We obviously can't reveal our sources but from what we've been told AND what we've actually seen, we're confident it's all BS and Hiddleston isn't actually in the frame.

Thanks for the info...I'd love to know who their 'sources' are...as they aren't even close :))

And we'd love to know who YOUR sources are. A vicious cycle!
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,294MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles must be confident in his sources, after all as I already stated above - if he is wrong he has to run around AJB HQ naked chased by Higgy with his bratwurst :s
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Yes, and I am very much looking forward to that :D

And the name is HiggINS! X-(
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,600Chief of Staff
    Sir Miles wrote:
    James Bond Radio. Don't know too much about them myself.

http://jamesbondradio.com

This is what they posted on their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/jamesbondradio/posts/1804666259770134?utm_content=bufferfd7c3&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Some of you may have seen the Tom Hiddleston rumours heating up on various Facebook pages over the last few days.

Apparently, the word on the street is that Tom filmed a screen test for Bond around a month ago and that Barbara has offered him the job. He's apparently "thinking about it."

With all that said, we have it on very good authority that none of this is actually true. We obviously can't reveal our sources but from what we've been told AND what we've actually seen, we're confident it's all BS and Hiddleston isn't actually in the frame.

Thanks for the info...I'd love to know who their 'sources' are...as they aren't even close :))

And we'd love to know who YOUR sources are. A vicious cycle!

Well, mine are the same as everyone else's on here...and obviously a darn sight better than theirs :))
    YNWA 97
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Sir Miles must be confident in his sources, after all as I already stated above - if he is wrong he has to run around AJB HQ naked chased by Higgy with his bratwurst :s

As long as he doesn't wear those horrible trainers :o

And that's a normal Sunday for us anyway :D
    YNWA 97
  • lotuslotus englandPosts: 292MI6 Agent
    Danny will be back
    lotus wrote:
    Danny will be back

On the big screen - absolutely! However, putting money on him returning as James Bond is not advised.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,358Chief of Staff
    Sir Miles wrote:
    welshboy78 wrote:

Unfortunately :# . However, let's raise the stakes- if Hiddleston isn't the new Bond*, then Sir Miles has to run naked around the Silencer & Bra Strap being chased by Higgins & his bratwurst while Thunderpussy & TB2 video the whole thing! :D

* (and my vote goes to Turner!)
    Barbel wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:
    welshboy78 wrote:

Unfortunately :# . However, let's raise the stakes- if Hiddleston isn't the new Bond*, then Sir Miles has to run naked around the Silencer & Bra Strap being chased by Higgins & his bratwurst while Thunderpussy & TB2 video the whole thing! :D

I think we did that a week last Wednesday.... :))
    Barbel wrote:
    * (and my vote goes to Turner!)

As Sam Mendes said...it's not a democracy :D
    YNWA 97
    This is true- otherwise Craig would never have been Bond!

(I was going to add "in the first place" to that sentence, but that wouldn't have been close.)
  • MrZarebaMrZareba Krakow, PolandPosts: 1,775MI6 Agent
    Oh Jeez this thread is brilliant. {:)

Btw. ma money's still on Hiddlestein, but I have seriously trouble imagining him being as buff as Craig. He just looks too, ekhm, adorable and probably that's why. Might turn out all right in the end (Affleck ended up being bigger than Bale after all for instance) but Hollywood screwed up a few times when actors were changed... Mostly in bad franchises like Hitman or the Transporter but neverthless! Hopefully they will not go the "let's make Bond's mind his only weapon this time" route because that crap's gonna kill me! :#
    Call me politically incorrect if you will, but I do not believe that Tom Hiddleston is macho enough to play James Bond (much as I have never approved of Daniel Craig's casting, macho was very much not a problem there) . Aidan Turner could fit the bill at this point- right age, etc.
    Barbel wrote:
    Call me politically incorrect if you will, but I do not believe that Tom Hiddleston is macho enough to play James Bond (much as I have never approved of Daniel Craig's casting, macho was very much not a problem there) . Aidan Turner could fit the bill at this point- right age, etc.

I think Tom will skew more overtly 'sophisticated' in his interpretation---something which Craig's detractors have long bemoaned the perceived absence of during the past decade (I disagree, of course). I think he'll have to turn up the casual cruelty a notch to offset what you're concerned about, and I believe he's capable of it.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Barbel you are being "politically incorrect" ;) On film Macho, is simply the use
    of lighting and camera angles, Infact in some photos, I can look quite Butch ! :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    I thought of the second tier, younger British actors, Dominic Cooper would be good in the role of Bond. He'd bring a bad boy quality to the role that hasn't really existed since the early Connery. But since he played Fleming that means he can't play Bond or something like that.
    Barbel wrote:

I think Tom will skew more overtly 'sophisticated' in his interpretation---something which Craig's detractors have long bemoaned the perceived absence of during the past decade (I disagree, of course). I think he'll have to turn up the casual cruelty a notch to offset what you're concerned about, and I believe he's capable of it.

I agree. With Hiddleston they need to maintain and enhance Bond's dark and violent side and play upon the duality of being a Fettes educated gentleman and a government assassin without coming off as a psychopath. IMO that is more interesting and more in keeping with Fleming than continuing to examine Bond's past. Hiddleston has proven he can do cruel with a nice bit of sardonic humour as Loki in the Marvel films which could translate well to Bond. Hiddleston's performance as Jonathan Pine in The Night Manager was much more subdued than I would expect his take on Bond to be. The Pine character was an untrained neophyte with a military background learning on the fly. If James Bond was a character in the Night Manager and it was a Fleming story, Bond would have been sent in to rescue Pine and then tasked with "removing" the conspirators within MI6.
    Barbel wrote:

I think a little bit of something that used to be called 'acting' could sort that out ;) :D
    YNWA 97
    Hm. (Unconvinced smiley)
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    Barbel wrote:

I agree. With Hiddleston they need to maintain and enhance Bond's dark and violent side and play upon the duality of being a Fettes educated gentleman and a government assassin without coming off as a psychopath. IMO that is more interesting and more in keeping with Fleming than continuing to examine Bond's past. Hiddleston has proven he can do cruel with a nice bit of sardonic humour as Loki in the Marvel films which could translate well to Bond. Hiddleston's performance as Jonathan Pine in The Night Manager was much more subdued than I would expect his take on Bond to be. The Pine character was an untrained neophyte with a military background learning on the fly. If James Bond was a character in the Night Manager and it was a Fleming story, Bond would have been sent in to rescue Pine and then tasked with "removing" the conspirators within MI6.

I wholeheartedly agree. It's the duality and conflicting/competing elements that make Bond unique. Hiddleston could do a great job of capturing that dynamic. I don't want Bond to oscillate between 'badass ' & 'smooth' I want him to be very badass indeed, but a sophisticated badass. Iron fist in a velvet glove and all that. I think both Hiddleston and Turner could pull that off very well. The Craig era has been a bit monotone for my tastes. I see this as a deliberate choice as I'm convinced that Daniel could have captured the diversity if he chose to, or was asked to.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
    zaphod99 wrote:
    I wholeheartedly agree. It's the duality and conflicting/competing elements that make Bond unique. Hiddleston could do a great job of capturing that dynamic. I don't want Bond to oscillate between 'badass ' & 'smooth' I want him to be very badass indeed, but a sophisticated badass. Iron fist in a velvet glove and all that. I think both Hiddleston and Turner could pull that off very well. The Craig era has been a bit monotone for my tastes. I see this as a deliberate choice as I'm convinced that Daniel could have captured the diversity if he chose to, or was asked to.

They just skimmed the surface of the duality/competing elements that make Bond unique with Brosnan in GE and TND. Brosnan always pushed for much more of that element but unfortunately to little avail. At this point I favor Hiddleston over Turner mainly because I feel Hiddleston has more "screen presence" than Turner.....but that could ultimately be proven to be entirely offbase. We could also be entirely offbase with regard to Hiddleston and Turner ever being seriously considered for the role in the first place :o .
    HowardB wrote:
    zaphod99 wrote:

They just skimmed the surface of the duality/competing elements that make Bond unique with Brosnan in GE and TND. Brosnan always pushed for much more of that element but unfortunately to little avail. At this point I favor Hiddleston over Turner mainly because I feel Hiddleston has more "screen presence" than Turner.....but that could ultimately be proven to be entirely offbase. We could also be entirely offbase with regard to Hiddleston and Turner ever being seriously considered for the role in the first place :o .

Agreed, and I share your view re Hiddleston being the stronger candidate. Sir Miles seems pretty sure that Tommy has got the gig. As we know 'it's not a democracy ' :))
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
    Well...we will all know who it is sometime in 2017 :# -{
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    For those who think Tom Hiddleston is too skinny, Lazenby was really skinny.

Yes I know that Lazenby is not well loved as a bond on the whole, but I've never heard anyone complain about his physique.
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Jarvio wrote:

Yes I know that Lazenby is not well loved as a bond on the whole, but I've never heard anyone complain about his physique.

People do, however, complain about Brosnan being too skinny in GE. I'd rather have a skinny Bond than another bulky Bond like Craig or a chubby Bond like Moore was in FYEO and OP. Skinny men like Lazenby, pre-TND Brosnan and Hiddleston are easier to tailor.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    Jarvio wrote:

i loved Lazenbys Bond and IMO think he comes closest to how Fleming describes Bond and it is old George who I picture when reading Fleming
    Jarvio wrote:

He has a strong fan base here. For my money he was superb in OHMSS. Very physical.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    On thinking about Bond, I'm always reminded of the photo of Fleming in his office in
    Naval uniform. To me that is Bond, very slim and elegant, but with a hard edge. -{
    So Hiddleston is perfect for Bond, in my opinion.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    On thinking about Bond, I'm always reminded of the photo of Fleming in his office in
    Naval uniform. To me that is Bond, very slim and elegant, but with a hard edge. -{
    So Hiddleston is perfect for Bond, in my opinion.

It would be nice to see Bond in his Naval uniform once again :007)
This discussion has been closed.