Next Bond after Craig: Rumours, etc

Comments

• welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,295MI6 Agent
    I think she's only speculating as the quote I read was
    I can understand why Daniel would not want to return. Bringing back the same role again can be complicated. But I’m a huge fan of Tom’s work. I believe Barbara will pick someone like that who has a theatre background.
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,661Chief of Staff
    welshboy78 wrote:
    I think she's only speculating as the quote I read was
    I can understand why Daniel would not want to return. Bringing back the same role again can be complicated. But I’m a huge fan of Tom’s work. I believe Barbara will pick someone like that who has a theatre background.

True enough...but she speculated that's whom BB would pick...
    YNWA 97
    I interpret it as BB would pick someone with a theatre background like TH
    welshboy78 wrote:
    I interpret it as BB would pick someone with a theatre background like TH

Well, as she's already picked TH it's a moot point :D -{
    YNWA 97
    You will be eating your words when Alan Partridge is unveiled.... :D
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Can't beat a theatrical background, ................... just like Timothy Dalton ! -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    welshboy78 wrote:

Now THERE would be a great casting :))
    YNWA 97
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,454Chief of Staff
    Sir Miles wrote:
    welshboy78 wrote:

His first Bond film would, of course, be Dr. Noing Me, Noing You. Title song sung by Ah-HAH.
    Barbel wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:
    welshboy78 wrote:

His first Bond film would, of course, be Dr. Noing Me, Noing You. Title song sung by Ah-HAH.

As AJB has managed to sort the 'swear filter' out we now need to start on a 'pun filter' :v :))
    YNWA 97
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,835MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Barbel wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

As AJB has managed to sort the 'swear filter' out we now need to start on a 'pun filter' :v :))

That would simply be cruel to TP - his posts would end up looking like this:

Aclu-v-ashcroft-redacted.jpg
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    :)) I think there's a cruel streak in you N24. -{
    Although Barbel is the Pun king, I only do sexual innuendo. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent

And darn well, I might add.
  • Lady IceLady Ice Posts: 279MI6 Agent
    edited June 2016
    HowardB wrote:
    Is Hiddleston perfect for the role?.....not quite. But I think he would end up being an excellent Bond because he appears willing to throw himself into the role and do whatever it takes to properly prepare and transform himself into the character. I still haven't managed to see anything of Aiden Turner other than still photos and a couple of interviews so I really can't truly judge him. Until I actually see him in something I just can't judge his suitability...he looks ok (there is something a "bit" soft about him, but that could be completely erased once I actually see him in a role). He does remind me a bit of a very young Sam Neil...but I was never enamoured of the idea of Neil as Bond.

Check this out to see him in a darker role- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Got6Mp8jhQI

Tom Hiddleston does seem to be very popular at the moment; he has a softer more boyish look but perhaps that's in keeping with how we see masculinity now. I guess what we've got to think about are the men or types of men who are popular in society at the moment. I'd like it to be Turner but think that it will probably be either Hiddleston or an unknown person. Hiddleston is not the world's greatest actor but he does seem to be respected and is generally good so maybe they hope that in picking a respected actor, that will give a solid basis for building a new era.
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent

My specialties are spelling errors and poor grammar. :)) -{
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,835MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:

My specialties are spelling errors and poor grammar. :)) -{

Mine are editing my own posts because of spelling errors and poor grammar (yes, my posts are that bad before editing :o )
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,454Chief of Staff
    Sir Miles wrote:

We aim to please :D
  • IanTIanT Posts: 573MI6 Agent
    A lot of discussion on here about TH being too soft featured etc for the role. Why is that? I've been looking at some of his performances such as The Night Manager (obvs), the Jaguar ads, and then there was that photo that someone posted of him next to a beautiful old E-Type.

I think he has a brooding quality about him that gives him an air of intenseness and mystery. We are talking about the casting of a new Bond here. I think that it doesn't matter if he's not as rugged as DC. He's not playing DC's Bond (when he finally gets the gig that is), he's playing his own interpretation.

TH_E_TYPE.jpg

This is the picture I meant. And I want that coat - who makes it????
  • BIG TAMBIG TAM Wrexham, North Wales, UK.Posts: 773MI6 Agent
    Tom looks like a younger Ralph Fiennes in that photo. Perhaps he could play M's long lost son or younger brother instead of 007. At this rate the Bond series will turn into an episode of WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?! :))
    I have to admit I watched the Night Manager for the 2nd time and on second viewing my view on TH being Bond has dimmed a little - not sure why, maybe a bit of x-factor missing or maybe its just the series is not re-watchable
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    I think in this age of the internet we tend to over analyze everything and we get blasted with information, inaccurate "news" and opinions from all sorts of sources, some good and some dubious to say the least. Anyone rumored to be a Bond candidate is going to be picked apart and dissected like a frog in a biology class. The big difference of course is that the frog is a frog and the Bond candidate is not Bond yet and may not even be in the mix. As we keep picking away at these guys we either become more convinced of their suitability or more likely"see" their perceived flaws which would eliminate them. Could you imagine Connery being picked apart if there was internet in 1962?
    All that bloviation aside, welshboy78 makes a good point about the "x-factor" with casting for Bond. I may be on the other side of Welshboy 78's opinion (I actually think Hiddleston has a bit of that "x-factor" while I'm not seeing it in Turner at this time) that is what separates the boys in the tuxes from the Bonds. Hopefully Barbara Broccoli and companies Bond "eye" will prove to be sharp once again or that she can convince Daniel Craig that he's not ready to retire from MI6 just yet.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    welshboy78 wrote:
    I have to admit I watched the Night Manager for the 2nd time and on second viewing my view on TH being Bond has dimmed a little - not sure why, maybe a bit of x-factor missing or maybe its just the series is not re-watchable

Interesting...my girlfriend and I recently watched Episode 5 of The Night Manager (1 to go!) and are enjoying it immensely. About 2/3 of the way through #5, she said to me: "I keep forgetting I'm not watching a James Bond film!"...with which I agreed. I think Tom is an excellent choice---which is good, since I'm 98.5% certain he's got the part.*

*Figuring in a 1% chance that Craigger will change his mind, and a .5% chance that the part will go to someone else, since it's already been offered to Tom, who's indicated he's very interested.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,332MI6 Agent
    So you guys keep saying!
    So you guys keep saying!

I've no reason whatever to disbelieve what I've heard, so I'm assuming it's a fait accompli until I hear differently :007)
    welshboy78 wrote:

Interesting...my girlfriend and I recently watched Episode 5 of The Night Manager (1 to go!) and are enjoying it immensely. About 2/3 of the way through #5, she said to me: "I keep forgetting I'm not watching a James Bond film!"...with which I agreed. I think Tom is an excellent choice---which is good, since I'm 98.5% certain he's got the part.*

*Figuring in a 1% chance that Craigger will change his mind, and a .5% chance that the part will go to someone else, since it's already been offered to Tom, who's indicated he's very interested.

I felt the same the first time, second time not so much. Not sure if thats just the series itself or TH to be honest, just my thoughts
    welshboy78 wrote:
    welshboy78 wrote:

I felt the same the first time, second time not so much. Not sure if thats just the series itself or TH to be honest, just my thoughts

That's perfectly fair {[] The only episode I've watched twice is the first one...because my girl fell asleep the first time round :)) She fell asleep in the cinema with SP, too...I joke with her that Bond acts as a general anesthetic for her (she's a very casual Bond fan!).
    I always fall asleep in the cinema except for Bond lol
  • ichaiceichaice LondonPosts: 594MI6 Agent
    I thought the Night Manager was very poor and most of the characters miscast. There was nothing I saw that was anywhere close to Bond.
    Yes. Considerably!
    ichaice wrote:
    I thought the Night Manager was very poor and most of the characters miscast. There was nothing I saw that was anywhere close to Bond.

Then they did their job...it's not a Bond film/series -{
    YNWA 97
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    ichaice wrote:
    Actually, outside a few older films -- Notorious, in particular, and to some degree North by Northwest and others -- The Night Manager is the closest thing I've seen to a Fleming Bond novel brought to the screen. It hardly seemed like LeCarre at all.
    Gassy Man wrote:
    ichaice wrote:
    Actually, outside a few older films -- Notorious, in particular, and to some degree North by Northwest and others -- The Night Manager is the closest thing I've seen to a Fleming Bond novel brought to the screen. It hardly seemed like LeCarre at all.

Indeed {[] And, apparently it's very Bondlike, in that fans can watch exactly the same thing, and react in diametrically opposed ways :)) -{
This discussion has been closed.