Next Bond after Craig: Rumours, etc

Comments

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,583Chief of Staff
    bonded123 wrote:
    I don't think it will be Turner, Hiddleston, Dan Stevens etc. Of the current names I reckon Turner would be the best but I don't think he'll get the part. I think Sam Mendes actually gave it away when he said it won't be who you expect. My gut feeling is it will be a relative unknown. Perhaps he will get some mention next year but he'll go mostly under the media/newspaper/internet radar.

I think Turner, Hiddleston and some other names are option B choices. If the main choice doesn't happen Turner will get the part but I think Mendes' comment would suggest the current names are not option A choices.

And Mendes directed the 'audition' a few weeks ago...
    YNWA 97
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    Mendes saying Bond won't be 'who we think it is' is worth exactly as much as his denial that he was directing SP, Waltz's denial, Harris' denial...and as Supes rightly pointed out above, Cumberbatch's Kahn denial. They're good operatives following orders.

Meanwhile, last night I watched the fourth episode of The Night Manager...and TH is welcome to the part as far as I'm concerned! :007)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Is that the one he gets his bum out ? ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    edited June 2016
    Is that the one he gets his bum out ? ;)

It is :o

Even prior to the bum shot, though, my girlfriend has been watching him closely, and said: "He's interesting." I naturally asked how he compared to Craigger, and she said, "It's a different kind of appeal." Make of that what you will, but she's enjoying the show as much as I am.
    I think he fits the "English Gentleman" description, a more contemporary Bond ?
    Reading Hiddleston's Bio, he is Bond. His father was Scottish and he went to Eaton
    and Cambridge ( Like our film hero )
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    I think he'll be excellent -{
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    Is Hiddleston perfect for the role?.....not quite. But I think he would end up being an excellent Bond because he appears willing to throw himself into the role and do whatever it takes to properly prepare and transform himself into the character. I still haven't managed to see anything of Aiden Turner other than still photos and a couple of interviews so I really can't truly judge him. Until I actually see him in something I just can't judge his suitability...he looks ok (there is something a "bit" soft about him, but that could be completely erased once I actually see him in a role). He does remind me a bit of a very young Sam Neil...but I was never enamoured of the idea of Neil as Bond.
    Only my opinion ion of course But I think k Turner would also make a good Bond. In Poldark
    He even has a scar on his cheek :D ( Wrong side, but you can't have everything ). In one
    Episode he outwitted a card cheat, during a high stakes game. I couldn't help thinking of
    The card game from Moonraker.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,336Chief of Staff
    I'm with TP, Turner gets my vote.
    stag wrote:
    HowardB wrote:
    Is Hiddleston perfect for the role?.....not quite. But I think he would end up being an excellent Bond because he appears willing to throw himself into the role and do whatever it takes to properly prepare and transform himself into the character. I still haven't managed to see anything of Aiden Turner other than still photos and a couple of interviews so I really can't truly judge him. Until I actually see him in something I just can't judge his suitability...he looks ok (there is something a "bit" soft about him, but that could be completely erased once I actually see him in a role). He does remind me a bit of a very young Sam Neil...but I was never enamoured of the idea of Neil as Bond.

Here's some footage for you. I hope it's useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTFkUa6y64o

Thank you so much for that link. Turner definitely has a good Bond voice and is a relatively youthful looking 33 which would bode well for an extended tenure as Bond. At about 5'11" and a compact build he looks as if he could move very well in action scenes. He has a good "natural" looking physique which could very easily be transformed into contemporary Craig-like Bond build (I wonder if EON will let him keep the chest hair or have him shaved :)) ?. I still don't know if he can command the screen enough....not normal screen presence but James Bond screen presence which is what separates someone from being an actor playing Bond or an actor "being Bond". I would not be upset if Turner is ultimately chosen....but still not my top choice.
  • bonded123bonded123 Posts: 291MI6 Agent
    http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/could-next-james-bond-traffords-11444609
    Wayne Devlin, who has only appeared as a soap opera extra, has been linked to prestigious film role

:))
    Although he’s not under consideration for the world’s most sought-after acting role, Wayne says he’s still proud to have received two community awards from Trafford.

:))
  • superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    Between Th and AT I think I would prefer TH, always thought AAron Taylor -Johnson could make a good 007 at only 26 he maybe number 8 :)
  • sniperUKsniperUK UlsterPosts: 594MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    stag wrote:
    HowardB wrote:

Here's some footage for you. I hope it's useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTFkUa6y64o

Thank you so much for that link. Turner definitely has a good Bond voice and is a relatively youthful looking 33 which would bode well for an extended tenure as Bond. At about 5'11" and a compact build he looks as if he could move very well in action scenes. He has a good "natural" looking physique which could very easily be transformed into contemporary Craig-like Bond build (I wonder if EON will let him keep the chest hair or have him shaved :)) ?. I still don't know if he can command the screen enough....not normal screen presence but James Bond screen presence which is what separates someone from being an actor playing Bond or an actor "being Bond". I would not be upset if Turner is ultimately chosen....but still not my top choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtThnYx9hC8
    Another great link.....thank you. Turner certainly cleans up well and looks nice in a tux...but I'm still not convinced. I know this is unfair judging on how little I've seen of him and of course, he's not playing Bond in these clips, but there's just something missing. Turner just looks like Daniel Craig could squash him like a grape; you can make up for that when you are playing a psychotic but not so much when it comes to James Bond. Turner did actually appear to look more formidable in Poldark so I will keep an open mind. EON is screen testing these guys, so they can really get to the full measure. I'm starting to believe more and more that if Craig does not return it'll probably be someone who hasn't even been mentioned yet and not necessarily a complete unknown. Someone who may only get on the radar screen close to when an announcement is actually made.
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    I would like to see the next Bond be a return to the charming, suave Bond of Brosnan and Moore and AT doesn't do that for me. While TH is far from perfect (although I think he can be made a lot more Bond like than he has been so far), if it came down to a choice between TH and AT, I'd go for TH.
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    I would like to see the next Bond be a return to the charming, suave Bond of Brosnan and Moore and AT doesn't do that for me. While TH is far from perfect (although I think he can be made a lot more Bond like than he has been so far), if it came down to a choice between TH and AT, I'd go for TH.

I think that either of them could do a fine job. Hiddleston has it by a hair for me. Also intrigued by the possibility of a new and hitherto unknown quantity entering the fray...Eon may be spoilt for choice which is a good problem to have. Exciting times.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • James BoldmanJames Boldman Amherst, MAPosts: 461MI6 Agent
    I'm hoping for TH, this picture looks very Bondish to me.

th007.jpg
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    I'm hoping for TH, this picture looks very Bondish to me.

th007.jpg

That's a very good look for Bond IMO
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,797MI6 Agent
    I'm watching The Night Manager now, and it's very good. But the truth is I'm still not convinced about Hiddleston as Bond. He just looks too slim and skinny. I know he can train, but it won't help his slim face. He simply doesn't look as masculine as the other Bonds.
    I wouldn't be upset if he was cast in the role, but I think there are better candidates.
    Hiddleston looks like the Hulk compared to Brosnan in GE. He does need to add muscle to his upper arms to balance out his body. Being fair of complexion and hair color can be altered along with the lighting so he photographs a bit "harder" looking. Craig is fair and blond but has a weathered and burnished look with a face that brought to mind a boxer and that worked well. Beyond the weightlifting, lighting, make-up, hair color, etc Hiddleston's performance is really what will make or break him as Bond. He has the proven ability to play a cruel, violent character with a large dose of black humor which would offset his look and make for a good Bond IMO. If they make him Roger II or Pierce Light it could be a disaster.
    edited June 2016
    HowardB wrote:
    Hiddleston looks like the Hulk compared to Brosnan in GE. He does need to add muscle to his upper arms to balance out his body. Being fair of complexion and hair color can be altered along with the lighting so he photographs a bit "harder" looking. Craig is fair and blond but has a weathered and burnished look with a face that brought to mind a boxer and that worked well. Beyond the weightlifting, lighting, make-up, hair color, etc Hiddleston's performance is really what will make or break him as Bond. He has the proven ability to play a cruel, violent character with a large dose of black humor which would offset his look and make for a good Bond IMO. If they make him Roger II or Pierce Light it could be a disaster.

Agreed. TH can convey an inner darkness, which can serve him well...IMO it would be mistake to go too light in overall tone, but I think the fastidiousness of Literary Bond can also easily be brought into his interpretation.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,336Chief of Staff
    Well, an inner radiance can brighten the night... :#
    Barbel wrote:
    Well, an inner radiance can brighten the night... :#

Only with such brilliant dialogue! :))
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    Agreed. DH can convey an inner darkness, which can serve him well...IMO it would be mistake to go too light in overall tone, but I think the fastidiousness of Literary Bond can also easily be brought into his interpretation.

Does "DH" stand for Daniel Hiddleston?
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
    edited June 2016
    superado wrote:
    Does "DH" stand for Daniel Hiddleston?

Yes. Absolutely. 100% spot-on.

Or it might have been a typo; sausage fingers on an iPhone keypad.

Fixed; style points awarded to you.
    Number24 wrote:
    I'm watching The Night Manager now, and it's very good. But the truth is I'm still not convinced about Hiddleston as Bond. He just looks too slim and skinny. I know he can train, but it won't help his slim face. He simply doesn't look as masculine as the other Bonds.
    I wouldn't be upset if he was cast in the role, but I think there are better candidates.

That's one of the likely lasting effects Craig will have; Tom won't come into the role as light and slim as Brozzer did; as I said earlier, he's probably gorging on protein shakes as we have this conversation!
    HowardB wrote:

Agreed. DH can convey an inner darkness, which can serve him well...IMO it would be mistake to go too light in overall tone, but I think the fastidiousness of Literary Bond can also easily be brought into his interpretation.

Yes, muscle tone, complexion and hair colour can be changed. But that's not what I think is the problem. His face is sort of narrow and thin-looking. His mouth is thin, and not in a cruel way. I think few would mention Hiddleston if they were asked to name some actors they saw as masculine. I know this picture isn't his best, but it's not atypical and it illustrates my point:

tumblr_o79xjyoGDJ1tfig24o6_500.jpg

Let's be clear: I got the "Night Manager" DVD box yesterday and I'm at episode four now. He is a very good actor and I believe in him in the role of Pine. I would be hopefull and intreaged if he was cast as Bond. But at this stage I think there are other candidates whom I would rather see as James Bond. I would rather see Clive Standen, Rupert Friend or Sam Heughan. I'm probably forgetting a couple of names. Aidan Turner seems like a good candidate - the "Then there were none" DVD is next on my list ..
    Part of what you're worried about will fix itself with age, I think---he looks like he's twelve in the photo above :)) I believe all will be well.
    Time will tell :)
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,583Chief of Staff
    Several reports in the papers today that DC has quit as Bond - mainly from an interview done with Caterina Murino...she claims TH will get the role...

Make of this what you will... -{
    YNWA 97
This discussion has been closed.