Next Bond after Craig: Rumours, etc

Comments

• HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Definitely NOT his usual routine ! He is looking to add bulk - I doubt it will be to DC levels, but it is extra work on top his usual routine.

The next "Thor" begins shooting this week. Loki was never a "bulked up"or physically brutish character; so the bulking up probably was not for the Thor film. According to much of what I have read, Loki is not the primary villain in the film but will play a key role, so I would think his on screen time will be more limited which could also mean his time needed to be on set/on location will will less also. I have read a couple of recent interviews with Hiddleston in which he alludes to this being possibly his last time playing Loki (no, he did not say "he'd rather slash his wrists......." :s ). So in putting my investigator hat on (and I do work in that field, on the analyst side of things) I would say what we have here is some "circumstantial" evidence that would never fly criminally nor civilly but in the court of internet discussion carries tons of weight :) -{ .
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    I'm reading everywhere that Aiden Turner is a done deal. I wouldn't mind that, but I hoped for TH, a little less since swifty arrived on the scene :#
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,602Chief of Staff
    Chriscoop wrote:
    I'm reading everywhere that Aiden Turner is a done deal. I wouldn't mind that, but I hoped for TH, a little less since swifty arrived on the scene :#

Really ? Haven't seen that anywhere... ?:)
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:

Express ran a "deal done" story on June 15th and I've seen a load more on the net, I never put too much value in these things tbh, but when you keep seeing it over and over......
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,360Chief of Staff
    The show ain't over till the fat lady sings, and it'll be a while till that happens.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,602Chief of Staff
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:

Express ran a "deal done" story on June 15th and I've seen a load more on the net, I never put too much value in these things tbh, but when you keep seeing it over and over......

It would seem that the 'insider' the Express quote is - a bookie ! On both their 'stories' ! Maybe this 'insider' is trying to lay off some bets that they have taken on Hiddleston - so they don't take such a big hit ! :D
    YNWA 97
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,360Chief of Staff
    If I were a betting man (which I'm not), then I would put my cash on Hiddleston. My heart lies elsewhere!
    Unfortunately, betting in the UK seems to drive a lot of what's in the "press". As I recall, a few weeks ago it was a done deal that Hiddleston would be announced in two weeks....well those two weeks have come and gone. I guess now they want to entice people to start putting their money on Turner. Time will tell.
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    Gala Brand wrote:
    If TH is bulking up for Bond, it's pretty silly to do it now since filming won't start for at least another 16 months. Even Craig waited until a couple of months before shooting to bulk up. I always though that's one reason why his suits didn't fit right (together with the style).

The style of Craig's suits in SF and SP should fit him just fine if he didn't bulk up. Suits would probably take about 2 months to get from Tom Ford, so if he only started bulking up 2-3 months before shooting that would make sense. If Tom Hiddleston is getting in shape now, good for him!

The current style of short, tight jackets and short, tight pants (what was once called jivy Ivy) would never look good on somebody like Craig. You have to be short and slender. Frank Sinatra when he was relatively young and skinny, Sammy Davis, Jr., and Fred Astaire looked okay with that style.
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    It's not height so much as weight. If you are bulky and stocky -- the body type preferred in the 80s and 90s -- then you look good in baggy suits but not tight ones, where the appearance is comical; if you're thin, then the baggy suit made you look like you were wearing your dad's hand-me-downs, but the cut of today's suits make you look great. What a person grew up with is probably what looks the most normal, fashionable or not.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    Gassy Man wrote:
    It's not height so much as weight. If you are bulky and stocky -- the body type preferred in the 80s and 90s -- then you look good in baggy suits but not tight ones, where the appearance is comical; if you're thin, then the baggy suit made you look like you were wearing your dad's hand-me-downs, but the cut of today's suits make you look great. What a person grew up with is probably what looks the most normal, fashionable or not.

I grew up in the era of baggy clothes, and most people my age who aren't fans of hip hop think the baggy clothes they wore growing up now look ridiculous. They may not all go for the slim fashions because they think those look ridiculous too, but theirs tastes have normalised. People's ideas of what looks the most normal can change, especially if what they once thought was normal now looks ridiculous. I'm sure the young men now who wear slim clothes will one day think that showing off their bulge in their trousers isn't a good look.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    Sure, they can change, but often they don't. Some people stay with the times, wearing clothes inappropriate for their faces or body types simply because they're in style -- witness all the Nazi haircuts on young and old today. A lot of people stay stuck in the same rut. But complaints about suits being too tight today are no different in many cases than complaints 20 or 30 years ago about them being too baggy for people who grew up with suits that more naturally followed body lines.
    Gassy Man wrote:
    Sure, they can change, but often they don't. Some people stay with the times, wearing clothes inappropriate for their faces or body types simply because they're in style -- witness all the Nazi haircuts on young and old today. A lot of people stay stuck in the same rut. But complaints about suits being too tight today are no different in many cases than complaints 20 or 30 years ago about them being too baggy for people who grew up with suits that more naturally followed body lines.

Daniel Craig is certainly one of those people who cares about staying in fashion above wearing what suits his body and face. Nobody much older than the teenagers today grew up with the overly tight style that Daniel Craig has been wearing, but have you noticed how many adults here have taken to Craig's style?
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    Gassy Man wrote:

The current style doesn't look good on tall, slender men, either. The skinny, short pants and narrow shoulders accentuate the man's height and slender build when his clothes should be doing the opposite.
  • superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    Personally I think anyone over 30 who wears skinny suits and skinny jeans looks ridiculous, prime example Jonathon Ross wearing skinny jeans and biker jacket!!!! My eldest daughter said the other day she is so glad she has a socks and sandles dad than some jerk who try's to be down with the kids( compliment in there somewhere I think) Back on topic is it just me who is going slightly off TH with all this Tayler Swift circus!
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,991Quartermasters
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

It would seem that the 'insider' the Express quote is - a bookie ! On both their 'stories' ! Maybe this 'insider' is trying to lay off some bets that they have taken on Hiddleston - so they don't take such a big hit ! :D

Absolutely. If I were a bookie about to take a bath on Hiddleston's casting, I'd be steering punters away from him as well -{
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    Matt S wrote:
    Gassy Man wrote:

Daniel Craig is certainly one of those people who cares about staying in fashion above wearing what suits his body and face. Nobody much older than the teenagers today grew up with the overly tight style that Daniel Craig has been wearing, but have you noticed how many adults here have taken to Craig's style?
    I'm more of a fan of the connery era style of suit, I'm a similar build to SC in Thunderball a couple of inches taller and the very skinny suits just dont fit, all tailoring has become more fitted, so an off the peg slim cut or regular tailored fit me best. An upto date tie, decent double cuff shirt and a pocket square do it for me. At 41 I have worn the baggy double breasted suit, but always preferd the simpler clean cut of a single breasted suit.
    edited July 2016
    I've lost a good 15 to 18lbs the past couple of years and gotten into good shape for 59 so I needed a new suit. One shop I went to the young salesperson wanted to put me in these extra slim cuts but I literally couldn't raise my arms with the jacket on. Went to another shop, had a middle aged experienced salesperson who sized me up and put into a much better more classic fit and with some minor tailoring looked great. Getting back to Bond suits, I think a lot of what was done with Craig was similar to what was done for Tom Cruise in "Collateral" where he played a hitman/villain and they purposely put him in smaller, skinnier suits to make him appear larger and more menacing. If Hiddleston is cast, at 6'2" and some added bulk he really does fit the classic cinematic Bond mold, I think a different approach will be taken...most likely a more classic "Connery" look as far as suits are concerned. Hiddleston would look ridiculous in those short, tight suits. I also believe they would go classic on sports clothes also with classic khakis and polos. For Turner, who is around the same height as Craig I would expect the same cut in suits that Craig wore.
    Matt S wrote:
    Gassy Man wrote:

It depends on the adults -- the male fashionistas around here are all wearing that suit style. The average guy on the street either doesn't wear a suit except to church and weddings or is wearing something a few years out of date. The slimmer one is, the better it looks, though.

In the 80s and 90s, the Schwarzenegger body type was in. Ironically, I was slender so I had to make due with the bulky suit (though I was fortunate because my shoulders are reasonably broad). Today, the skinny suit is in, though I have been slowly accumulating a gut so I now have the body type of E.T. The baggy suit would be perfect for me to hide flaws. So, I now wear jeans and a sport coat most of the time, cut to to the modern style, but the casual combination works reasonably well.

Most people aren't aware of just how they look in a suit. When you really pay attention, quite a few look awful, and not just because of the cut or fit but because they look awkward. A lot of Americans like bulky physiques, too -- the bulkier the better -- even today, and tend to move and walk accordingly.

One thing to remember, too, is that Craig isn't just wearing the suits out of personal taste, though he certainly has a lot of influence. The Bond films are essentially a big advertisement for any number of products, including Tom Ford suits. As a walking billboard (or race car), he has to try to be a model for whatever product placement is currently being pushed by the film. Certainly, Ford is getting a lot of mileage out of the Bond film placement. His suits are essentially copies of the 1960s stovepipe pants ones, though cut even more narrowly.
    Gala Brand wrote:
    Gassy Man wrote:

The current style doesn't look good on tall, slender men, either. The skinny, short pants and narrow shoulders accentuate the man's height and slender build when his clothes should be doing the opposite.
    It depends on the guy -- and on what we're used to seeing. If we're accustomed to a baggier suit, it's all going to look odd. But to me, especially tall people tend to look odd in real life regardless, even though for some cultures, height is very, very important.

One point about the current fashions is that not only are they meant to do the opposite of what used to be in (which is often the case to get people to get a whole new wardrobe), but also that it's meant to be ironic in some ways. The body parts that are traditionally accentuated -- broad shoulders and narrow waist, for instance -- are reversed, with the shoulders more narrow and the waist almost a bell shape in the cut. Feet look gigantic not just because of the thin pants but the bigger, pointer shoes, which in turn is accentuated more by using shoes that contrast with the suit (a black suit with tan or brown shoes, for instance). The effect is essentially the "nerd" look of being uncoordinated according to traditional styles. For Craig, the color scheme is more or less traditional, but the cut remains, though I might argue that his suits are closer to those of the Connery era than people realize; mostly they are just tighter.
    If you read some articles and watching some of the making vlogs, there always seems to be some rationale behind bonds outfits, whether Craigs suits are tailored to make him look bulkier? I'm not sure that worked?? And perhaps the shorter jackets to make him appear taller? Again not sure, overall I like the look of his suits but the qos Craig suits IMHO are his best look. Th tends to wear a skinny suit, but then he is skinny! I would imagine in real life in a skinny suit th would look too limby.
    Gassy Man wrote:
    One thing to remember, too, is that Craig isn't just wearing the suits out of personal taste, though he certainly has a lot of influence. The Bond films are essentially a big advertisement for any number of products, including Tom Ford suits. As a walking billboard (or race car), he has to try to be a model for whatever product placement is currently being pushed by the film. Certainly, Ford is getting a lot of mileage out of the Bond film placement. His suits are essentially copies of the 1960s stovepipe pants ones, though cut even more narrowly.

It's true that the Bond films are a big advertisement for Tom Ford suits. But with the exception of the black Windsor suit and the Windsor dinner jacket in Spectre, Craig is not wearing the look that Tom Ford typically sells or promotes. Tom Ford did not design the suits that Craig wears in Skyfall and Spectre, costume designer Jany Temime did. For many people I've spoken to, the Bond films have given them a negative impression of Tom Ford, and it's quite an inaccurate impression of Tom Ford.
    Chriscoop wrote:
    If you read some articles and watching some of the making vlogs, there always seems to be some rationale behind bonds outfits, whether Craigs suits are tailored to make him look bulkier? I'm not sure that worked?? And perhaps the shorter jackets to make him appear taller? Again not sure, overall I like the look of his suits but the qos Craig suits IMHO are his best look. Th tends to wear a skinny suit, but then he is skinny! I would imagine in real life in a skinny suit th would look too limby.

I don't believe the vlogs have said that, but I've come to that conclusion. Jany Temime has said that she wanted a fashionable look and that Craig likes clothes that hug his body. If only the suits Craig wore hugged his body and didn't fight it. Hugs, not fights!
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Chriscoop wrote:

The Qos look worked best. Craig is a stylish fellow, and I often thought that he did a better job in his personal non Bond life with both his clothes, and his hair.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
    Matt S wrote:
    Gassy Man wrote:

It's true that the Bond films are a big advertisement for Tom Ford suits. But with the exception of the black Windsor suit and the Windsor dinner jacket in Spectre, Craig is not wearing the look that Tom Ford typically sells or promotes. Tom Ford did not design the suits that Craig wears in Skyfall and Spectre, costume designer Jany Temime did. For many people I've spoken to, the Bond films have given them a negative impression of Tom Ford, and it's quite an inaccurate impression of Tom Ford.
    Craig's suits may well have been designed specifically for the films in some cases, especially with the nods to Connery, but Ford himself absolutely is pushing the same basic style:

http://www.tomford.com/s-s-mens-2016/

http://www.tomford.com/s-s-mens-bond-2016/

His models just tend to be younger and with a different body type than Craig's.
    Gassy Man wrote:
    Matt S wrote:
    Gassy Man wrote:

Craig's suits may well have been designed specifically for the films in some cases, especially with the nods to Connery, but Ford himself absolutely is pushing the same basic style:

http://www.tomford.com/s-s-mens-2016/

http://www.tomford.com/s-s-mens-bond-2016/

His models just tend to be younger and with a different body type than Craig's.

I see that Ford has come around to pushing the look a little, but the suits have a considerably different look on the models than they do on Craig. It's not quite the sausage look that Craig gives the suits, and that sausage look has been common on the runways of other designers. Ford still is keeping it classier. At the time of Skyfall, Ford wasn't pushing anything at all like what Craig was wearing. His collection had wide lapels and pleated trousers.
    To my eye the suits from CR have dated the worst, with the possible exception of the final scene suit which garners a classic look. The ted baker suit looks a little too baggy albeit a linen suit, and the first hotel splendide suit also looks a tad dated now, where as the Tom ford qos suits still look current, a well fitted suit remains well fitted, these skinny suits will I think just age badly IMHO
    If Aiden Turner gets the gig he needs a well fitted suit, th can get away with the skinny suits at the moment but needs proper length to his trousers with a proper break, not hanging somewhere near the top of his shoe, he is too tall for that
    Chriscoop wrote:
    To my eye the suits from CR have dated the worst, with the possible exception of the final scene suit which garners a classic look. The ted baker suit looks a little too baggy albeit a linen suit, and the first hotel splendide suit also looks a tad dated now, where as the Tom ford qos suits still look current, a well fitted suit remains well fitted, these skinny suits will I think just age badly IMHO
    If Aiden Turner gets the gig he needs a well fitted suit, th can get away with the skinny suits at the moment but needs proper length to his trousers with a proper break, not hanging somewhere near the top of his shoe, he is too tall for that

Ted Baker suit in Casino Royale? They were all Brioni except for the linen suit in the PTS, which was made by an English tailor. I think the Brioni suits in Casino Royale still look pretty good, though I never understood why they went for such wide trouser legs. Wide trouser legs were not fashionable at the time.
    My mistake I've always thought the suit he wears getting off the plane was a ted baker, I must not have read up about that one on your blog. It's the trousers that date them, the ted baker mink trousers are not that wide legged at all.
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,760MI6 Agent
    I wonder how much Hiddleston has damaged his chances by way of his global love tour with Taylor Swift? Perhaps not at all. It is a bit unprecedented for a Bond actor, however.
This discussion has been closed.