Next Bond after Craig: Rumours, etc

Comments

• walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    Gassy Man wrote:
    Matt S wrote:
    Gassy Man wrote:
    One thing to remember, too, is that Craig isn't just wearing the suits out of personal taste, though he certainly has a lot of influence. The Bond films are essentially a big advertisement for any number of products, including Tom Ford suits. As a walking billboard (or race car), he has to try to be a model for whatever product placement is currently being pushed by the film. Certainly, Ford is getting a lot of mileage out of the Bond film placement. His suits are essentially copies of the 1960s stovepipe pants ones, though cut even more narrowly.

It's true that the Bond films are a big advertisement for Tom Ford suits. But with the exception of the black Windsor suit and the Windsor dinner jacket in Spectre, Craig is not wearing the look that Tom Ford typically sells or promotes. Tom Ford did not design the suits that Craig wears in Skyfall and Spectre, costume designer Jany Temime did. For many people I've spoken to, the Bond films have given them a negative impression of Tom Ford, and it's quite an inaccurate impression of Tom Ford.
    Craig's suits may well have been designed specifically for the films in some cases, especially with the nods to Connery, but Ford himself absolutely is pushing the same basic style:

http://www.tomford.com/s-s-mens-2016/

http://www.tomford.com/s-s-mens-bond-2016/

His models just tend to be younger and with a different body type than Craig's.
    did TF up their prices? I see a lot of the dress shirts are around $600 now when they were usually around $500.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    How on earth did the discussion of the next Bond become a discussion of clothing? And don't we have a separate forum for that?
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • lotuslotus englandPosts: 292MI6 Agent
    Yeah
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Gassy Man wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

It's true that the Bond films are a big advertisement for Tom Ford suits. But with the exception of the black Windsor suit and the Windsor dinner jacket in Spectre, Craig is not wearing the look that Tom Ford typically sells or promotes. Tom Ford did not design the suits that Craig wears in Skyfall and Spectre, costume designer Jany Temime did. For many people I've spoken to, the Bond films have given them a negative impression of Tom Ford, and it's quite an inaccurate impression of Tom Ford.
    Craig's suits may well have been designed specifically for the films in some cases, especially with the nods to Connery, but Ford himself absolutely is pushing the same basic style:

http://www.tomford.com/s-s-mens-2016/

http://www.tomford.com/s-s-mens-bond-2016/

His models just tend to be younger and with a different body type than Craig's.
    did TF up their prices? I see a lot of the dress shirts are around $600 now when they were usually around $500.
    I have to admit, I'm not a fan of Taylor Swift, th has lost a little ground for me on that count.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    Someone I spoke to thought that TH was dating Taylor Swift to help him get the Bond role. ?:) Is his trying to make Barbara Broccoli jealous? :D Or perhaps the publicity from the breakup song that Taylor Swift writes about him would be just what TH needs.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    edited July 2016
    Of course even worse is that Taylor Swift becomes a shoe in for the Bond theme song :# and not a nice classic Oxford shoe at that Matt.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    What in the blazes would Hiddleston dating Taylor Swift have to do with playing James Bond? Unless there is some scandal attached to it at some point, who cares.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,991Quartermasters
    HowardB wrote:
    What in the blazes would Hiddleston dating Taylor Swift have to do with playing James Bond? Unless there is some scandal attached to it at some point, who cares.

It matters no more than Craig's dalliance with Sienna Miller, post-Layer Cake, really :s In the Internet Era, every moment must be filled with something.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,760MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:

It matters no more than Craig's dalliance with Sienna Miller, post-Layer Cake, really :s In the Internet Era, every moment must be filled with something.

You may both be correct. But you may also be wrong. Hiddleston is garnering a lot of attention for cavorting about with the most famous pop star in the world. EON have always avoided casting A-list celebrities. Perhaps Hiddleston-as-Bond was a done deal weeks ago (as some here, myself included, tend to believe), and therefore this has no bearing on the outcome. On the other hand, if Hiddleston was merely in advanced talks, along with other candidates, I could see all of this publicity working against him.
    HowardB wrote:

You may both be correct. But you may also be wrong. Hiddleston is garnering a lot of attention for cavorting about with the most famous pop star in the world. EON have always avoided casting A-list celebrities. Perhaps Hiddleston-as-Bond was a done deal weeks ago (as some here, myself included, tend to believe), and therefore this has no bearing on the outcome. On the other hand, if Hiddleston was merely in advanced talks, along with other candidates, I could see all of this publicity working against him.

Good point, but a moot one I think, as I too remain convinced that Tom's being cast is a fait accompli---despite it being an exceedingly (mostly) well-kept secret.
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    Apart from being "the guy who plays Loki," TH isn't terribly well known in the U.S. Now, the same was true of DC and Timothy Dalton (and George Lazenby, Sean Connery....but I digress!). I don't think his fun with Taylor Swift is a publicity stunt, but it's certainly making him better known now!
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    Could be performance art.

Which is what I thought.

Taylor Swift promoting herself.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2016/07/05/taylor_swift_and_tom_hiddleston_performance_art_rumors_cannot_undermine.html
    Gala Brand wrote:
    Could be performance art.

Which is what I thought.

Taylor Swift promoting herself.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2016/07/05/taylor_swift_and_tom_hiddleston_performance_art_rumors_cannot_undermine.html

I'd heard this elsewhere. Given the current state of everything, gravitational force draws us all toward the black hole of cynicism :s
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    My daughter told me tonight ( Yes, That's my source) ;)
    That this is all being filmed for Taylor's new music video. ?
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Haha!
    Maybe they just really like each other ? :s -{
  • perdoggperdogg Posts: 432MI6 Agent
    edited July 2016
    Latest in the Bond odds sweepstake (For informational purposes only)

1. James Norton - 1/3

2. Adrian Turner - 7/4

3. Tom H Swift - 9/2

4. Idris Elba - 10/1

5. Damian Lewis - 12/1

6. Tom Hardy - 14/1

7. Tim Roth - 33/1

8. Jamie Bell- - 33/1

9. Michael Fassbender - 33/1

10. Henry Cavil - 40/1
    "And if I told you that I'm from the Ministry of Defence?" James Bond - The Property of a Lady
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    Tim Roth?

He's 5'7" and 55. :))

And he wouldn't have been suitable for Bond 20 years ago (although he is a pretty good actor).
    James Norton? It's really crickets out there. How's a bookie to make an honest living? Create something where there is nothing. :)) -{
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,602Chief of Staff

I read the same thing a couple of days ago in the paper - beggars belief if it's true 8-)
    YNWA 97
  • IanTIanT Posts: 573MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:

I read the same thing a couple of days ago in the paper - beggars belief if it's true 8-)

I too have heard the theory that the THTS romance is part of an elaborate music video. The source (Heart FM) suggested/pointed out that the pictures of them cavorting have all been released from one picture agency.

Anyway, when is EON going to tell us the they've cast TH?
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,804MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    James Norton? It's really crickets out there. How's a bookie to make an honest living? Create something where there is nothing. :)) -{

I think James Norton is a valid candidate: nationality, acting ability, age, looks height all seem ok.
    Tim Roth on the other hand is a strange suggestion - being British and a very good actor isn't enough.
    Jamie Bell makes Craig look very tall, since Bell is just 5' 7''.
    The rest of the list is standard fare.
    Not real familiar with James Norton. Might be a fine candidate. Looks a little too much like Hugh Grant for my tastes. Usually the guys who tick off all the boxes don't get the role....may be a bit too generic and easily passed over.
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    I misread it as James Corden. Now he'd make a great Bond! :D
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    At first I thought it was Graham Norton ! ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Martin AstonMartin Aston LondonPosts: 408MI6 Agent
    Adrian Turner????
    perdogg wrote:
    Latest in the Bond odds sweepstake (For informational purposes only)

1. James Norton - 1/3

2. Adrian Turner - 7/4

3. Tom H Swift - 9/2

4. Idris Elba - 10/1

5. Damian Lewis - 12/1

6. Tom Hardy - 14/1

7. Tim Roth - 33/1

8. Jamie Bell- - 33/1

9. Michael Fassbender - 33/1

10. Henry Cavil - 40/1
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,294MI6 Agent
    Probably Anthea Turner judging by the fact Tim Roth is in that list :))
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • Red IndianRed Indian BostonPosts: 427MI6 Agent
    edited July 2016
    Is anyone else disappointed with the choices for the next film?

IMO Craig is a really hard act to follow - I think they should do something completely different!

Exactly what that entails I have no idea - maybe they should have finally killed him off! :))

What I'd really like to see (rather than another film) is all of the guys who played Bond sitting around drinking, smoking cigars, and talking about their experiences over the years! {[]
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent

I'd pay good money to see him play Bond :))

I thought Adrian Turner was the favourite again?

I know it shouldn't effect his capability to play Bond but this Taylor Swift stuff is really putting me off Hiddleston.

I think it's because all previous Bond actors have all had a certain aloofness to them. A bit of an edge. Hiddleston doesn't tick that box.
    Lady Rose wrote:

I'd pay good money to see him play Bond :))

I thought Adrian Turner was the favourite again?

I know it shouldn't effect his capability to play Bond but this Taylor Swift stuff is really putting me off Hiddleston.

I think it's because all previous Bond actors have all had a certain aloofness to them. A bit of an edge. Hiddleston doesn't tick that box.

The trick is can he portray James Bond convincingly on the big screen. He doesn't need to be Bond except in the movies. As far as aloofness goes, I never saw that in Roger Moore or Pierce Brosnan in their off screen personas and they had pretty good runs as Bond.
    We shouldn't let all this internet nonsense cloud our vision. If it came out that the guy was a racist, abused women, was mean to his Mum, etc then I could see that being problematic but he's apparently involved romantically with Taylor Swift....oh how awful 8-) :))
This discussion has been closed.