Next Bond after Craig: Rumours, etc

Comments

• Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,760MI6 Agent
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Red_Snow wrote:
    In an exclusive with Deadline, Sam Mendes talks about dropping his next film 'Voyeur Motel', and briefly mentions Bond and Daniel.

[...]We’ve got lots of other things in development. Having had a break after the last Bond movie Spectre, it felt like it was time to move on.”

Noting that Mendes said he was stopping at two 007 films, and that there are rumors Daniel Craig will likely return for more after initially begging out, I ask if this was about the time he receives the inevitable call from James Bond, pulling him back in for his third 007 film?

“I think you’re going to have to ask…I don’t think anyone’s getting a call from Daniel Craig until he opens in Othello, which is his entire focus,” Mendes said.
    No no no please God no!!

I'd be fine with another Craig Bond, but PLEASE no Mendes.
  • WonderueWonderue Posts: 27MI6 Agent
    MrZareba wrote:
    Wonderue wrote:
    Go raibh míle maith agat.

Ya wot m8? O.o

It's British for 'Thanks a million'.

I mean Irish.
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    I want Craig back for 25 but could live without Mendes returning. Hopefully having Mendes back is not part of what it would take to get Craig back for 25.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,479Chief of Staff
    Wonderue wrote:
    It's British for 'Thanks a million'.

I mean Irish.

:)) {[]
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    I want Craig back for 25 but could live without Mendes returning. Hopefully having Mendes back is not part of what it would take to get Craig back for 25.
    Dc big yes mendes big big big no
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,675Chief of Staff
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Dc big yes mendes big big big no

Was more likely the other way earlier this year :v
    YNWA 97
    Not from me sir M, I've always wanted dc for one more. I enjoy mendes's two. There are some excellent aspects to them both, but I dont want Newman or anymore bonds gone rogue and has issues and is upset! I want bond in a fully authorised mission doing what he does best....enough navel gazing already, can you imagine connerys bond running out of bullets and leaving Blofeld lying on the floor? He'd have thrown him in the Thames...I mean thameshhh
    Might Mendes raise his game back up with the guidance of a superior script? No question he is a talented director. Would Mendes do better with more of a swing back to more of a dead serious, edgy, blunt instrument, government assassin Bond? No love interest, just affairs and one night stands with the Lucia's of the world, seductions for Queen and Country with his flirtatious relationship with Moneypenny the closest thing to a real relationship in his life. If Mendes and Craig return, IMO, Bond needs to go dark again. -{
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,675Chief of Staff
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Not from me sir M, I've always wanted dc for one more.

Sorry...I meant it was more likely that Mendes, not DC would be back.
    YNWA 97
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    Might Mendes raise his game back up with the guidance of a superior script? No question he is a talented director. Would Mendes do better with more of a swing back to more of a dead serious, edgy, blunt instrument, government assassin Bond? No love interest, just affairs and one night stands with the Lucia's of the world, seductions for Queen and Country with his flirtatious relationship with Moneypenny the closest thing to a real relationship in his life. If Mendes and Craig return, IMO, Bond needs to go dark again. -{

I would be interested in this, with emphasis on the "government assassin" and "Queen and Country". No more Bond working for himself.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,836MI6 Agent
    Sam Mendes is a very talented director. Just looks at..... say... the movies of John Glenn. A competent director, but he lacks the fair and artistry of Mendes. The main drawback of Mendes is his strong tendency to make everything in the story personal, and often about Bond's past.
    Number24 wrote:
    Sam Mendes is a very talented director. Just looks at..... say... the movies of John Glenn. A competent director, but he lacks the fair and artistry of Mendes. The main drawback of Mendes is his strong tendency to make everything in the story personal, and often about Bond's past.

John Glen knew when not to try too hard. That's where Mendes has gone wrong with Bond.
    With Mendes we just get the missions that are personal in nature. I too would like to see Bond just go out and save the world once again for Queen and Country. There are two things I would like to see back from previous Craig films: Monica Bellucci as Lucia, Bond's ongoing femme fatale friend with benefits and Jeffrey Wright as Felix Leiter. Both had excellent chemistry with Craig and I'd like to see the friendship between Leiter and Bond be developed in the next film if Craig returns. As far as Monica Bellucci is concerned, well she's Monica Bellucci :D -{
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,760MI6 Agent
    +1 to Jeffrey Wright reprising the role. As it seems more and more likely that Craig will return, I'd love to see Felix again.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    Matt S wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

John Glen knew when not to try too hard. That's where Mendes has gone wrong with Bond.

Unfortunately, with Glen it seemed that that was the majority of the time :# I'll not mourn if Mendes doesn't come back, even though I enjoyed his take on the franchise...and I will still be surprised if Craigger indeed returns ;) I will be awaiting official word, along with everyone else...
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    I've always lobbied for Jeff Wright to return, one of the ingredients of the Craig era I really applauded, and qos seemed to set that up with Felix being promoted. And as bond left Lucia in felix's care as it were in sp she too could come back though returning love interests in bond don't sit that easy with me. Mendes gets a lot of criticism but he is a talented director I just think he brings a bit too much baggage now and Thomas Newman! Who's scores just do not drive the film they in fact sap excitement out of them. I do think dc will return, but if not I think we are in a bond hiatus.
    Unfortunately, you get Newman with Mendes. I think Mendes has the potential to bring his game back up with the right material, Newman would be another pedestrian score and missed opportunity. David Arnold seems to understand how to do a proper Bond score and keeps his own artistic license in check in service of the Bond canon.
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,170MI6 Agent
    'He'd have thrown him in the Thames...I mean thameshhh'

I quite like that idea. Would have left it open and the audience wondering, given his injuries, would he have survived or drowned? Just having him arrested at the end, despite the drama and poignancy, was a bit Scooby Doo :(
    "Any of the opposition around..?"
    'He'd have thrown him in the Thames...I mean thameshhh'

I quite like that idea. Would have left it open and the audience wondering, given his injuries, would he have survived or drowned? Just having him arrested at the end, despite the drama and poignancy, was a bit Scooby Doo :(

I like it too. It would have worked better for me and in keeping a bit more with the "one foot in reality" tone of the Craig films if:
    1) Craig would have grabbed an assault rifle from one of the soldiers/security force and shot down the chopper instead of with a PPK
    2) Craig throws down the assault rifle heads over to the injured Blofeld, draws his PPK and points it at Blofeld's head; M says to Bond "I need him alive" Bond tosses the PPK in the river and then picks up Blofeld and tosses him in the river.
    3) M instructs the soldiers/security guys to "Please fish him out, I need to spend some with Mr. Blofeld".
    HowardB wrote:
    2) Craig throws down the assault rifle heads over to the injured Blofeld, draws his PPK and points it at Blofeld's head; M says to Bond "I need him alive" Bond tosses the PPK in the river and then picks up Blofeld and tosses him in the river.

Today's way of storytelling means that Bond had to make the decision to spare Blofeld on his own. I think it's cheesy, but then modern audiences would likely find some of Fleming's stories cheesy.
    Thinking about it, it's so out of character for Dc's bond to spare him, especially as he's been such an angry revenge driven person. I still think dragging Blofeld to the edge of the bridge and throwing him over would have been great with maybe a comment like "no this is brothers for you" ....... Splash
    As I have said earlier: Bond should shoot at the heli with his PKK. That spurs the police to do the same with their assault rifles. This damages the heli, and Bond's boat gets nearer. Bond fires an emergency flare into the heli cabin and the chopper goes down.
    Bond is a more mature man than he was in CR and QoS, so he spares Blofeld.
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Thinking about it, it's so out of character for Dc's bond to spare him, especially as he's been such an angry revenge driven person. I still think dragging Blofeld to the edge of the bridge and throwing him over would have been great with maybe a comment like "no this is brothers for you" ....... Splash

The point in sparing Blofeld is that Bond has matured. Craig's Bond films are a poorly developed and unrealistic character journey over everything else. Bond was generally plot-driven, until Brosnan's films made Bond films action-driven. Craig's Bond films are character-driven, with both specific character development in each film and character development over the span of the four films. Some people believe that character-driven stories are superior to plot-driven stories, which is why the Craig Bond films have gone in this direction. The only problem with that is when the writers do a poor job with character development and shove it in your face rather than make us feel it through the stories.
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,334MI6 Agent
    You guys will recall that he let Vesper's boyfriend ("This man and I have some unfinished business") live at the end of QoS. He had "matured" over the course of that one as well...
    Yes, nowadays characters must have an "arch" :s in every movie.
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Not from me sir M, I've always wanted dc for one more.

Sorry...I meant it was more likely that Mendes, not DC would be back.

I think both are past their sell by, but if I had to choose I'd go with Craig over Mendes. Craig was not the problem with Skyfall. Also with Mendes comes the unavoidable Newman and I really don't want another phoned in score. New balls please.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • Ronin1974Ronin1974 Posts: 13MI6 Agent
    Good morning Sirs!
    DC has been MY perfectly fitting Bond, the one that more rendered the idea of the character I had. It will probably be like that also in the next years, but you know what? I think that it is anyway time for fresher take, the only think that DC can do now is keep on adding layers and I don't know if this is the best possible thing for the franchise. Even if I know that I will be 90% disappointed by everyone taking his place.
    Regarding Mendes, I think he really made a great, great job but, if I had to choose the director for Bond 25, I'd rather pick up the phone and call Martin Campbell straight ahead.
    Craig's tenure as Bond started with Martin Campbell and I certainly have no problem for his swansong as Bond being helmed by Campbell.
    The one thing we always have to keep in mind with regards to Campbell (who IMO also did a nice job w/ GE) is that he had the advantage of a real Fleming novel to work with. I'm generally not a proponent of "remakes" but I do support making a significantly more faithful version of the YOLT novel under the "Garden of Death" title.
  • eric7064eric7064 USAPosts: 343MI6 Agent
    Two of my favorite films in the franchise have been made by Campbell. I certainly would like to see him tackle Bond again.
  • dcp50613dcp50613 Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    I nominate Tom Ellis. He's tall, can be intimidating or flip when needed. Check out his range in Lucifer. He just has that 007 look.
This discussion has been closed.