Military Service

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I think it's used as a visual shorthand, to suggest a corrupt country. The
    sort who'd work with Quantum or Spectre.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent
    I think it's used as a visual shorthand, to suggest a corrupt country. The
    sort who'd work with Quantum or Spectre.

Or perhaps stereotyping?
    Yes, I agree. It's if I said Mafia meeting ?
    We could all quickly stage it. Stereotypical
    but the viewer would quickly understand
    Without going in to a long explanation.
    I think every country has suffered from this
    In movies.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,793MI6 Agent
    Jaaa.... :v
    :)) Chocolates and CooCoo Clocks and
    You're instantly in Wales :p :D
    Green trainers and misty eyes, and we're in Germany.
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    Pistachios, heroin and submarines, and you're in Greece :v
    a reasonable rate of return
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    Double entendres and puns and you're in TP's kitchen!
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Better the kitchen than his cellar of special interests
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Better the kitchen than his cellar of special interests
    Something, something rusty chainsaw?
    a reasonable rate of return
    Yes, I agree. It's if I said Mafia meeting ?
    We could all quickly stage it. Stereotypical
    but the viewer would quickly understand
    Without going in to a long explanation.
    I think every country has suffered from this
    In movies.

I understand what you say. It is sad that many stereotypes exist or people believe them to be true. All Italian men are mafias or all Germans are trainer shoe collectors! :) I know what the stereotype of the black man is but I will not say this I think we all know!
    But I think the only two African countries with their own stereotypes are Egypt and perhaps South Africa. The rest of the stereotypes are generic African. Joshua knows better than any of us that there are many cultures and a multitude of languages. Compare this to Britain where most of the world knows the stereotypes of the English, Scottish and Irish.
    No Welsh in the UK, Number24 :)) always singing, playing rugby, waving leeks ;)
    I fear many outside the UK don't know about the West.
    :)) Well we are a Huge Country

I looked up a few facts about Norway, as a bit of research ......

The relative number of English speakers is higher in Sweden, Norway, Denmark and The Netherlands than it is in Canada.

Dying is illegal in Longyearbyen, Norway because the town’s small graveyard stopped accepting bodies after discovering the permafrost prevented the bodies from decomposing.

It is illegal to spay or neuter your dog in Norway except under specific circumstances regarding health, quality of life, or utility.
    What is "spay"?

Not only is dying not allowed on Spitsbergen, you also get sent to the mainland if you're unemployed, old or seriously ill. We only had one TV channel until the late 1980's. "Life of Brian" was banned and the Swedes used that fact to promote the movie. We are a pretty big military exporter, but legally weapons can only be exported to countries that don't really need them. Most of our electric power is from hydropower, but we export let's of oil and gas. Our princess runs a school where people learn to see angels.

Norway - it's a silly place. Don't go there :))
  • 00730073 COPPosts: 1,024MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:

Norway - it's a silly place. Don't go there :))

My favourite Norwegian is the guy who sold divers watches with painted on hands to Swedes :)) :)) :)) He also sold indoor satellite dish antennas... 8-)

That guy was almost a national hero in Finland back in the early -90's
    "I mean, she almost kills bond...with her ass."
    -Mr Arlington Beech
    On a Military theme. Apparently the Pentagon has
    Twice as many toilets as it needs. Because it was
    Built when America had segregation. Although I'm
    Sure to a man it has too many but to a lady it has
    Just the right amount. :D
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles in his Roman Centurion outfit :D

27973388_10214038700415260_1354744616226165596_n.jpg
    Interesting. I finally found a photot of me during my national service. I was in the army, but we also did some amphibious landings. Met some Englishmen, too. It's some years ago now .....

1129718-johnviking.jpg
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    You need to take care of those horns better, N24. They'll soon grow into each other and you won't be able to charge into people.
    You just described the tactics of the Norwegian army :D
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    Lovely blonde hair N24 :D though the eyebrow looks a little erm werwolf :D :v
    The Belgian army plans to allow homesick recruits to sleep at home rather in barracks during their initial training :))

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/apr/12/belgian-army-criticised-for-plan-to-let-homesick-cadets-to-sleep-at-home
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    The Belgian army plans to allow homesick recruits to sleep at home rather in barracks during their initial training :))

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/apr/12/belgian-army-criticised-for-plan-to-let-homesick-cadets-to-sleep-at-home
    :)) Thats a perfect way to train up some hardened battle ready troops :))
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • Bond44Bond44 Vauxhall CrossPosts: 1,581MI6 Agent
    edited July 2018
    Number24 wrote:

Worlds gone soft! We solved that by dragging them down the bar so they could not care less where they were by the time we finished with them - tough love really does work :D

What next they do not like the other unform colour so can wear their own or weapons are too loud so we won’t make you fire them, clue is in the name it’s the ARMY!

Cheers :007)
    My name is Bond, Basildon Bond - I have letters after my name!
    The Marine Rotation Training Battallion - Europe who are currently training in Norway have solved the "loud weapons" problem. They all have suppressors on their rifles.
    Number24 wrote:

I wonder if the recruits would like to be struck? In my army hitting of soldiers by the NCO or officer is allowed. I think they would have other things to think of than being homesick! I was hit with the fist and the kick when I was a recruit and not alone in being hit too. It was better than to be put on charge and perhaps DB. When I was a NCO I also sometimes hit the soldier. It is a different culture I think definitely to the Europe armies.
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    I did a job with a RMP SIB SGt years ago and the line of questioning went like this , SIB to squadie .Ok you can tell me what I want to know or I will kick your Fu@?£ng head in for you , I thought yes that's pretty direct , but that tough men for you :))
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • Bond44Bond44 Vauxhall CrossPosts: 1,581MI6 Agent
    I did a job with a RMP SIB SGt years ago and the line of questioning went like this , SIB to squadie .Ok you can tell me what I want to know or I will kick your Fu@?£ng head in for you , I thought yes that's pretty direct , but that tough men for you :))

Robust questioning usually gets results - at least you knew where you stood and could make an informed descision :D

Cheers :007)
    My name is Bond, Basildon Bond - I have letters after my name!