No Time To Die wardrobe: possible spoilers

Comments

• FerinstalFerinstal North of Londinium...Posts: 310MI6 Agent
    I can kinda understand all of the ‘wearability’ comments etc etc

But is anybody really saying they prefer the look of the Mantis/David garment compared to the one Craig is wearing in the poster??

For £345 I would expect THE highest quality garment (and I do own a number of NPeal’s and love them) and for it to look amazing - and for it to be durable! David’s pictures really look like the shoulder patches have been ‘plonked’ on and stitched around.

I really would expect much better for £345 - screen accurate or not!
    Yes. Considerably.
  • HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Posts: 333MI6 Agent
    Yeah good spot on the patches/ribs.

Looking at the one David is wearing the patches are huge compared to the ones on DC in the poster.

I don't think a sizing issue of the jumper itself if you watch David's video the patch is just as big on the medium as it is on the small.

When we're going down to finite detail of screen accurate clothing such as to the beading of fabric around pockets or the location of a single button, this is a big flaw. Such as shame but once you see it it can't be unseen and makes the jumper look quite bad.

Hopefully they'll fix it up with some feedback from David.
  • So shorten the drawstrings, add draw string ends ($3) and have the shoulder patches (which are stitched on) tailored.
    If it's that big of a deal, any half-way-descent tailor could do that in 10 minutes.

If I recall, the Tom Ford Solden jacket is different in rib-count and zipper length from the screen used one. The Matchless Craig Blouson is different too. Unfortunately, the people in charge of production of these items don't a.) care and b.) know about the details like the people on here. When a pre-existing item is used in a movie, it's a lot easier to release to the public than a custom-piece that some developer has to eye-ball and translate to get it mass-produced.
  • NoiNoi Posts: 705MI6 Agent
    talking about details:

poster-daniel-craig-data.jpgposter-daniel-craig-data1.jpg

this part is missing too, can be clearly seen on David's sweater and on n. peal pictures...wtf without the henley and this missing part the head opening looks like a vagina giving birth :DDD I'm so sorry to say that #whathasbeenseencannotbeunseen

great piece anyway
  • CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,451MI6 Agent
    Noi wrote:
    talking about details:

this part is missing too, can be clearly seen on David's sweater and on n. peal pictures...wtf without the henley and this missing part the head opening looks like a vagina giving birth :DDD I'm so sorry to say that #whathasbeenseencannotbeunseen

great piece anyway

Could those be the braces?

There’s also the likelihood that the poster image was heavily Photoshopped. I’ve been looking for screencaps that offer a better view of this thing from the movie itself.
    edited February 2020
    oh you are right
    B25-25314-R.jpg

sorry then. when you take a look at the Costume-Drawing they clearly planned it that the braces will fill this gap
  • MikeG77MikeG77 Posts: 1,771MI6 Agent
    Noi wrote:
    talking about details:

great piece anyway

LOL here i was thinking that it looked like that and now i know i'm not the only one :D
    I know where you keep your gun!
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    I cant unsee the shoulder patch difference now. Makes the sweater look a bit like a well made knockoff opposed to the real deal even though it is.
  • Alex006Alex006 Posts: 156MI6 Agent
    While I might be able to understand the argument for the oddly proportioned shoulder patches on account of durability (let's assume that it helps prevent seam wear on the collar), I can't understand how some folks are excusing this shoulder patch placement on account of it being too much work for N Peal to do as opposed to a custom made sweater for the production.

Try this. Google "shoulder patch sweater". I assure you you'll find hundreds of thousands of products that have correctly aligned sweater patches. I'm not even talking Bond here, I'm just talking about a basic sweater with shoulder patches design.

Take another wardrobe staple, for example. A t-shirt with a pocket on the front. Everyone agrees that these types of shirts should have the pocket on the upper left chest (or right chest on occasion). Imagine if the company that made a t-shirt with a pocket for a James Bond film decided to release a public version with the pocket placed dead center. Or even middle left torso. And then have people defending them that "well you see, Craig had a designer on set..."

Same difference.

I mean, if you like the design of these new sweaters, all the more power to you. I'm happy for you, and don't want to take anything away from you. All I'm wondering about is that for the rest of us, if we'll get an option to have something closer to what we expected, especially for that price point. Look, I'm no stranger to dumping thousands on jackets and sweaters, and I suspect most of us that are collecting Bond gear share that same privilege. I understand what you're saying about people not caring what they spend money on, but I'm sure this crowd does, and N Peal basically reached peak popularity primarily on its Bond association, so I'd assume they'd know what their audience wants, or they'd have cut ties long ago.

And then there's the argument that we can just go tailor it ourselves... Swap out the cord, and have a tailor alter a patch. I'm a big fan of having a tailor on standby, but why would I want to add at least $50 worth of alterations for something that could be offered by the company? It's a simple pattern redesign that would only need to be repeated 5x (or however many sizes are offered.

Even then, I don't care particularly for the cord argument. It is what it is, and the cord length doesn't both me. The rib count doesn't bother me either, and I doubt anyone will die on the cross for accurate rib count, since that obviously depends on a myriad number of factors. However, something as basic as a correct should patch placement really does affect the entire look of the sweater, and in my opinion, not for the better. I just think that it makes one look like they're wearing their sweater backwards.

A t-shirt with the pocket dead center when you're expecting it to be on the left chest is all I have to say.

If that's the look you want, more power to you. At the end of the day, I'm sure we're all on the same page. We want N Peal to succeed, and we want ourselves to get a sweater that looks like the awesome one we've seen. As for me personally? I'll return mine and cross my fingers in hopes that N Peal releases a second edition that looks closer to what we all wanted to begin with.
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,294MI6 Agent
    edited February 2020
    I cant unsee the shoulder patch difference now. Makes the sweater look a bit like a well made knockoff opposed to the real deal even though it is.

Agree. Kind of looks like a mod project and doesnt seem right.

Weird thing is that it looks like they made more work and material for themselves doing it non-SA.

Wouldn't mind seeing the back of DCs jumper to see how the patch / compares in that area.

Hope they revise this. Will hold off on this one for now
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • SevenDSevenD Posts: 97MI6 Agent
    Noi wrote:
    Ctu92 wrote:
    Barbour Graham jacket looks pretty spot on.

108-E91-A6-1-A9-B-4635-A3-EE-BA31-B41-BB174.jpg

4-DB3-C655-C8-D1-46-A8-95-C2-E2263-B9-CDC63.jpg

All the Graham Jackets got visible zippers when opened, do you think they removed them?
    but it looks very similar, as mentioned before, both jackets got huge collars and I would guess that the screen used one got raglan sleeves like the Graham
    I think you can see the Zipper here. On the other side it is revealed by the flap

8-AED81-D6-7-FF0-409-C-A94-D-2-CC5-E3-D11736.jpg
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    So shorten the drawstrings, add draw string ends ($3) and have the shoulder patches (which are stitched on) tailored.
    If it's that big of a deal, any half-way-descent tailor could do that in 10 minutes.

If I recall, the Tom Ford Solden jacket is different in rib-count and zipper length from the screen used one. The Matchless Craig Blouson is different too. Unfortunately, the people in charge of production of these items don't a.) care and b.) know about the details like the people on here. When a pre-existing item is used in a movie, it's a lot easier to release to the public than a custom-piece that some developer has to eye-ball and translate to get it mass-produced.

I certainly wouldn't be tailoring, cutting up or replacing the original drawstring ends with cheap ones on a £345 sweater.

Also I definitely would not put N.Peal and Tom Ford on the same level; the size of both companies are very different. N.Peal is obviously the "smaller" of the two, but I'd say their people in charge of production really do care about the Bond connection and each of the items in the Bond collection they have created. Why this sweater is different from the screen used one, I don't know, but i'm sure there's an explanation beyond "they don't care".
  • junebai89junebai89 Posts: 172MI6 Agent
    i signed up a while back but i don't have access to the sweater. What is up?
  • tardis1711tardis1711 Posts: 208MI6 Agent
    junebai89 wrote:

Check a post further up that has the link to buy the jumper

https://www.npeal.com/us/007-ribbed-army-sweater-navy-blue
  • PeakeyPeakey Posts: 124MI6 Agent
    Found this cheaper alternative NTTD blue denim shirt for $89 - https://johnhenric.com/us/shirts/blue-denim-shirt-oakland
    edited February 2020
    SevenD wrote:
    I think you can see the Zipper here. On the other side it is revealed by the flap

Could be! but the original zipper has a golden-colour I always thought that it should be better visible then, but I have to admit that the part you marked seems to have a slightley lighter colour, good eye.

Regarding the NTTD-Sweater:
    I thought the same when seeing the review of the NTTD-Sweater, something was 'wrong' or looks different but I couldn't name it and then I was like: "everything looks better on Craig and on screen" but yeah you are absolutly right on the shoulder-patches, it ruins the whole composition of the Sweater and the thin and too long drawstrings doesn't make it better, the proportions aren't right anymore.
    As some poeple already mentioned before it looks like you are wearing the sweater backwards which creates a pretty foolish look. Luckily both can be 'fixed' easily
    There is no obvious reason why they made that decision, it just costs more material... Hopefully N. Peal makes a 2nd more screen-accurate run
  • AugustWalkerAugustWalker Posts: 880MI6 Agent
    Noi wrote:
    SevenD wrote:

Could be! but the original zipper has a golden-colour I always thought that it should be better visible then, but I have to admit that the part you marked seems to have a slightley lighter colour, good eye.

I thought the same when seeing the review of the NTTD-Sweater, something was 'wrong' or looks different but I couldn't name it and then I was like: "everything looks cooler on Craig and on screen" but yeah you are absoluty right on the shoulder-patches, it ruins the whole composition of the Sweater and the thin and too long drawstrings doesn't make better, the proportions aren't right anymore.
    As some poeple already mentioned before it looks like you are wearing the sweater backwards which creates a pretty foolish look.
    There is no obvious reason why they made that decision, it just costs more material... Hopefully N. Peal makes a 2nd more screen-accurate run

I‘m hoping they will make something for those who already bought bc all the marketing etc. led us to believe we‘re getting the real deal.

I‘m 23 and my bank account already hates James Bond, so if I spend that money it better be worth it.
    The name is Walker by the way.

IG: @thebondarchives
    Check it out, you won’t be disappointed :)
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    Morning gents,

Just read through the comments from yesterday and I wanted to let everyone know I have contacted N.Peal with these observations/concerns. I also gave them a direct link to this thread and told them to start on post #3,474.

David
    Noi wrote:
    SevenD wrote:

I thought the same when seeing the review of the NTTD-Sweater, something was 'wrong' or looks different but I couldn't name it and then I was like: "everything looks cooler on Craig and on screen" but yeah you are absoluty right on the shoulder-patches, it ruins the whole composition of the Sweater and the thin and too long drawstrings doesn't make better, the proportions aren't right anymore.
    As some poeple already mentioned before it looks like you are wearing the sweater backwards which creates a pretty foolish look. Luckily both can be 'fixed' easily

Could’t agree more. The sweater looks totally off. Really sad. It had a lot of potential :(
  • 007Downunder007Downunder Hobart, Australia Posts: 373MI6 Agent
    Hi as stated I bought the N Peal last night. Ive been in contact with them through Instagram in respect of the comments as to variations between the jumper in the film and the one sold .Their advise is “the sweater is the exact copy of the one worn in the film”
    Anthony
    edited February 2020
    Edited
    Hi as stated I bought the N Peal last night. Ive been in contact with them through Instagram in respect of the comments as to variations between the jumper in the film and the one sold .Their advise is “the sweater is the exact copy of the one worn in the film”

Well that’s just plain silly, as it is clearly not. Even between their own photos on the item page it is obviously different.
  • k5211k5211 UKPosts: 164MI6 Agent
    100%, it looks horrendous. This really is an Emperors new clothes debacle. It's clear that they made a heavily inspired Royal Navy wooly pully jumper then changed those dodgy shoulder pads significantly after the shoot and marketing poster. Sheesh.
    That’s a good one :))
    Depending on how they handle this “issue” it could be their making or undoing. I hope they don’t get too defensive and take on the concerns in good faith as we are all working to the same goal.
  • SkippySkippy Posts: 446MI6 Agent
    On the topic of NPeal NTTD jumper, it could be argued that because NPeal are now 007 license holders, they cannot make the jumper SA because it could then be passed of as the screen used item. That certainly was an accusation in the replica movie prop collecting world 10 / 20 years ago, especially against companies like Master Replicas and their Star Wars licensed products.

Trouble is that theory does not stand up to scrutiny when compared to their other jumpers that have had screen time, unless they were standard products just used by the production team and not designed by them as in the case of NTTD.

Regardless, unless this is perhaps a manufacturing mistake of the early reproductions, it could prove an expensive marketing flop for NPeal if they don’t get it right. The scrutiny of this forum is publicly visible for all to see and comes up high on search engine returns. No one should therefore underestimate the influence it can have on product success, just like any other social media, particularly as this site, Suits of James Bond and James Bond Lifestyle are also sometimes referenced by mainstream media.
  • StiffassBritStiffassBrit United KingdomPosts: 219MI6 Agent
    Forgive me if this has already been covered, but I am sure there was a similar issue with the TF bomber jacket from Spectre. Someone from this forum picked up that the zip lengths were too short and hence not screen accurate. It didn't stop the jacket selling out very quickly despite the £1500 price. Although we can see the inaccuracies are more noticeable on the Npeal NTTD jumper I don't think it detracts from the fact it is a nice jumper and I think David's video showed the products vesatility. It might be a tad optimistic that Npeal will change the sweater especially when they have produced so many and orders have already gone in. But, on another note, if customers are not happy with the product they have the right to change their minds. Either way I will probably buy the jumper as I like it, as I did with the TF Spectre bomber jacket. JMO.
    I'm sorry......that last hand...nearly killed me
  • canoe2canoe2 Posts: 2,007MI6 Agent
    edited February 2020
    Greetings all!
    Thought I'd sum up my feelings so far on the wardrobe from NTTD (edit: thought I'd add what I would have done instead, based on looks from the previous films):

Tommy Bahama shirt and TF jeans: Good casual look. Nothing special but I think it works for where Bond is at that point. I would have gone with the Sunspel polo, some linen pants and TB-style espadrilles.

Swimshorts and T: Again, nothing mind-blowing, but it works. Not much to really change here, expect a T-shirt with no holes.

Massimo Alba cord suit: I like it when the jacket is kept as a proper 3-roll-2. With the top button done up, the jacket looks off since (I don't think) that's how it was designed. I would have gone with a non-button down collar shirt (personal preference) and I think this would have been a great opportunity to bring in a solid knit or gren tie. Would also have been great to see the return of a nice cream linen suit as a nod to Lazenby. But the overall look is solid IMHO and I like the Drake's shoes in this context.

Matera Connolly Jacket and MA cords: Happy with my Mango alternative for the jacket. Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of that style, so I'm not sure how much use it will get. Overall look is a little meh. But the grey cords look versatile. I would have gone with the pale blue linen OB shirt from SP and a lighter weight blue shawl collar cardigan up top.

Rogue Territory Jacket: probably my favorite jacket so far. I like that it's a clean and simple look (from what we've seen so far). But it doesn't really say "Bond style" to me, if you know what I mean. Still, I could see myself wearing this piece in the movie style more than any of the others.

MA Duster: I dislike this look intensely. First, I'm not a fan of duster style coats. And if Craig wants to make another western, try Cowboys vs. Aliens 2. Bond ain't a cowboy, which is the only vibe I'm getting from this. Nothing I would change about this because the look would never have made it into the film if I was in charge.

The new mystery blue coat/jacket: Haven't seen enough yet to make a final judgement. But initial impression is it looks like a coach's jacket, which isn't really my thing. I have a feeling I'll be more interested in the shirt he's wearing. As someone here already mentioned, the TF QoS Harrington would have worked really well here.

Commando look/N.Peal sweater: Looks cool in the context of the film. But I couldn't see myself trying to wear this exact outfit out in the real world. I do often wear a more "civilian" variation on this with slim-fit cargo pants, a simple rib knit sweater and boots. And I think I'll stick with that. As for the sweater specifically, I'm not a fan of that neck-line (I prefer a basic crew neck). And I agree with most others here about the execution of the shoulder patches: extending them under the collar was a design mistake and doesn't improve the look of sweater to my eye.

TF suits: the BIG winners for me so far! The grey PoW especially. If they had skipped the tie clip, made the shirt a spread collar and gone with with a nice dark navy gren tie, it would have been a 10/10 Bond look for me.

Cheers!
    John
  • CajunCajun Posts: 483MI6 Agent
    Post the comparison pics on IG; that should end that conversation.
    I edit, therefore I am.
  • bosoxfanbosoxfan Posts: 611MI6 Agent
    junebai89 wrote:

I didn't get an email either???