Craig is back: Discuss Bond 25 here

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,821MI6 Agent
    edited January 2019
    These are the important parts of the article, translated by me. My comments are in brackets. The article sure gets the details right.

Only a short time after the 25th James Bond movie got 47 million (Crowns) in film instentives the speculations about where Bond will be shot started, and RA (Rjukan Arbeiderblad - a local newspaper that demands money to get into their website) reports Rjukan and Tinn are being considered.

………………………...

The recipiant of the grant is the Production Company TrueNorth Norway that also got the major movie "The Snowman" to Norway in 2016. As you know that movie chose Oslo, Bergen and Rjukan as locations.

Tinn offered that film production very good service. The small film community that brings foreign productions to Norway don't easily forget that sort of thing. But so far no-one has stepped forward to confirm this (the location rumour). The competition to get the Bond production is tough. Tinn is working hard to be a film location since it's a part of the drive for tourism, writes RA.
    edited January 2019
    The area also has Gaustadbanen, a railway in a tunnel that runs inside the mountain Gaustadtoppen to the peak Tuddalstippen (about 1800 above sea level - 5900 feet).

gaustabanen-benjamin-a_size-large.png

Gaustadtoppen

gaustatoppenrjukannorway_dcc4ec01-c327-4999-a1ea-057059951656.jpg
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,295MI6 Agent
    Well one things for sure - I hope they dont use the beautiful scenery for 10 seconds of footage like SPECTRE :))
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    edited January 2019
    If they end up in Tinn I think it's a bit strange. Beautiful as the area is, I think that sort of location can be found in less costly countries like Sweden and Canada. I would think, and so do the newspapers so far, they would film what's unique to Norway - fjords. Fjords with farms and villages and steep mountains right by the fjord pretty much can't be found anywhere else.

I don't doubt the rumour is true. They have really scouted Tinn and Rjukan for Bond25. The questions are if they really will shoot there and if it's that type of landscape they want.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Well one things for sure - I hope they dont use the beautiful scenery for 10 seconds of footage like SPECTRE :))

I hope this will be the case. I want to see Bond immersed in a location. Spectre took place in many locations, but none have any significance to the story. The script was clearly written without any specific locations in mind, so the locations could be chosen last-minute. "Sciarra" would need to have been a different name if Italy wasn't used, but that's an easy change.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • SomeoneSomeone Posts: 1,545MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    I want to see Bond immersed in a location. Spectre took place in many locations, but none have any significance to the story. The script was clearly written without any specific locations in mind, so the locations could be chosen last-minute.

I agree with this, except for the crater base. They must have wanted something that echoed a Spectre base, so instead of a volcano it was located in a meteor crater.
    edited January 2019
    Some more photos from the area, because I'm milking it :D
    BTW: last year on the 28. March the temerature in Rjukan was -15 celsius. On the 28. of April it was -3.5. May 28. it was +5.9 celsius. if they want to film there and they want snow, the shooting dates will be in March or April.

_ib70993-edit_large.jpg

600px-Rjukanfossen07.JPG

The Vemork sabotage in 1943 happened in a now demolished factory in front of the large building in the center of the photo

vemork-fra-lufta-1.jpg

m_c_1817_2.jpg

hardangervidda_nationalpark_norway.jpg

13467645174_829cf4c9aa_b.jpg

gaustablikk-skisenter-1_size-large.jpg
    There's a story that Steven Soderbergh mentioned in a podcast that a major film production asked him to direct their large-scale British production after the director stepped aside/was removed. Could it have been Bond25? Do we know more?
    Number24 wrote:
    There's a story that Steven Soderbergh mentioned in a podcast that a major film production asked him to direct their large-scale British production after the director stepped aside/was removed. Could it have been Bond25? Do we know more?

I could easily believe it was B25. He's a great director and he's a writer. He directed Logan Lucky, so DC must have suggested him.
    Steven Soderbergh also made Traffic, Haywire and Oscean's 11-13. A good background for making a Bond movie.
    I'd like to know when the podcast was made and if he said anything about when he rejected the Movie.
  • Arbogast 777Arbogast 777 Minneapolis Posts: 595MI6 Agent
    It was brought up years ago that he has talked to Eon about it, so he might just be referring to that...

“Over the years, I’ve been in conversations…I’ve been approached twice about doing a Bond film. And it never quite got anywhere. “Haywire” in some ways, was my opportunity to do what I would do with a Bond movie.”
    I don't think so. He talks about a big budget British movie where the director walked right before production started. If it's Bond he was talking about, and it sounds likely, it has to be Bond25.
    Number24 wrote:
    I don't think so. He talks about a big budget British movie where the director walked right before production started. If it's Bond he was talking about, and it sounds likely, it has to be Bond25.

Link?
    No, I don't have a link. That's part of the reason I brought it up here, I need help finding the real source of the story. It was refered to in MI6Community.
  • Arbogast 777Arbogast 777 Minneapolis Posts: 595MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:

Roger Mitchell walked from Quantum of Solace right before production started (delaying it) and was even working with Soderbergh’s Ocean’s 11 screenwriter Ted Griffen on the script. Soderbergh then went on to direct Haywire, which he referenced in the quote I posted. So no, it does NOT have to be Bond 25.
    I didn't know that. Thanks :)
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    welshboy78 wrote:
    agreed!
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,961MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Norway is very much more likely than Canada, since EON applied for a grant to film "B25" here in late November and was granted the highest sum The Norwegian Film Institute has ever given to a foreign production. EON will probably spend about 20 million USD filming Bond25 in Norway.
    if Cadiz is standing in for North Africa, maybe Norway will be standing in for Canada?
    I would be strange, because Canada is cheaper to work in than Norway. If they want Bond in Canada they'll film in Canada. I actually find the location scouting in Rjukan strange, since places like Canada would be easier and offers snow and mountains. If you're filming in Norway it would make much more sense to film the unique Norwegian fjords or some particular building like the underwater resturant in Lindesnes. I believe the report from Rjukan. It's a town of a little more than 3000 people and the location scouts are known to the local newspaper from their work on "The Snowman". I suspect it's something particular to the area the Bond procusers want, and the best candidates are Gaustadbanen (The steep underground train to a mountain top) or possibly Krossobanen, a cable car from the town to the nearest mountain. Krossobanen was the first cable car in Europe, buildt in 1928. Rjukan was a company town, and the company Norsk Hydro buildt Krossobanen to make it easier for the workers to get up to the mountains to ski and get some sun. I suspect EON wants this in combination with snow, but we'll wait and see what location is chosen and when they will film there. If they film in Rjukan during the first two months of production, they want snow.
    Peter Sheldrake over in MI6Community reports that Gregg Wilson and a team of location scouts are in Jamaica. Can it be we have three locations: Rjukan (Norway), Cádiz (Spain, standing in for Tunisia) and Jamaica?
  • AugustWalkerAugustWalker Posts: 880MI6 Agent
    Jamaica would be a real treat :007)
    The name is Walker by the way.

IG: @thebondarchives
    Check it out, you won’t be disappointed :)
    edited February 2019
    Perhaps we have a fourth location? www.sassilive.it claims Bond25 will start filming in Matera (Italy) on april 6. Matera is in southern Italy and the town centre is carved out of solid rock. Known as la Città Sotterranea ("the Underground City"), Its historical centre "Sassi", along with the Park of the Rupestrian Churches, was awarded World Heritage Site status by UNESCO since 1993.
    http://www.sassilive.it/cultura-e-spettacoli/cinema-cultura-e-spettacoli/bond-25-nei-sassi-matera-scelto-set-nuovo-film-della-saga-di-james-bond-con-daniel-craig-riprese-ad-aprile-2019/

The article has many details: "Shooting will begin Saturday, April 6, 2019. Interested in the area of the historic center (Cathedral, Piazza del Sedile, Via Ridola, Piazza San Francesco), views of the Sassi and the area of the Murgia. The production has also chosen to turn into accommodation facilities in Matera and its province: Casa Diva in via Giummella, the widespread hotel Sextantio in the Sasso Barisano and the Beach Restaurant Riva dei Ginepri in Marina di Pisticci."

"The agreement is already defined by the end of December but in the coming days the news will become official."

(Google Translate)

On the negative side, they also claim Emma Stone and Dakota Fanning are considered as Bond girls, so I don't know…..
    The historic center of Matera with the cathedral

location_img-1060-115758735-148.jpg

Piazza del Sedile

083239004d.jpg

Via Ridola

Matera%20Via_Ridola%20foto.jpg

Via Ridola, Piazza San Francesco

130940-800x533.jpg

Sassi de Montera

s1-1.jpg

Murgia

060921-155011-La-Civita-with-Parco-della-Murgia-Materana.jpg
    A hotel in the area mentioned in the article:

grotta-14-matera.jpg

matera-grotta-17-classic.jpg
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    Hey, whatever happened to Dubrovnik? The mayor seemed pretty certain that Bond 25 would be filmed there. 8-)
    Perhaps Dubrovnik was for the Hodges script? We don't know.
  • AugustWalkerAugustWalker Posts: 880MI6 Agent
    Please no more Italy for Craig... :#

It‘s really time for 007 to visit new places, which is why I liked the idea of Norway (up until Fallout), Canada and Croatia...
    The name is Walker by the way.

IG: @thebondarchives
    Check it out, you won’t be disappointed :)
    I too would like locations outside of Italy, Turkey and the Alps for Bond25, but Matera is so special and Bondian I don't have a problem with it. I don't think Norway is less attractive as a location because of MI:Fallout since it was only one movie and Preikestolen stood in for Kashmir in India.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    Please no more Italy for Craig... :#

It‘s really time for 007 to visit new places, which is why I liked the idea of Norway (up until Fallout), Canada and Croatia...

Italy is a given. I would be shocked if they didn’t film Bond 25 somewhere in Italy.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,961MI6 Agent
    if Cadiz is standing in for North Africa, maybe Norway will be standing in for Canada?
    Number24 wrote:
    I would be strange, because Canada is cheaper to work in than Norway. If they want Bond in Canada they'll film in Canada.
    I'm joking really. So many big American productions get filmed in Vancouver or Toronto, and inevitably the Canadian locations are standing in for some place in The States. It would be ironic if a big film were actually set in Canada for it to be filmed somewhere else.