Craig is back: Discuss Bond 25 here

Comments

• walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    Gassy Man wrote:
    I'm not sure if this track was actually created by Zimmer and Wallfisch for 2049. But I also haven't listened through the entire end credits in awhile. The track "Blade Runner" is the actual end credits music if I remember correctly.
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,705MI6 Agent
    Gassy Man wrote:
    HowardB wrote:
    Gassy Man wrote:
    I'm routinely baffled at how people don't hear the conceptual similarities between Zimmer and so much of Barry's work , especially n the 60s -- the use of tempo, rhythm, chord progressions/regressions, repetition of simple but strong themes. Compare the incidental action music in say, Goldfinger to how Zimmer accomplishes much the same thing but with different intensity and instrumentation. If you took The IPCRESS File's theme, sped it up and punctuated it with more modern, heavy percussion, it could almost be a Zimmer theme, like Sherlock Holmes. Zimmer gets it. He's going to turn in an incredible score.

Because Zimmer (and his crew) have such a huge body of work, you have to focus on certain scores which are more melodic in content. It's not hard for me to imagine Zimmer adapting to a Bond score that would be recognizable without visuals as a Bond score. Zimmer's use of heavy, electronic percussion should work well in a Bond score. I would love to have an updated variation on Barry's "007" with that heavy percussion and/or the Bond theme.
    I'm sure he'll incorporate melody -- he certainly did in the Sherlock Holmes movies, which really were more like Bond films, as well as Man of Steel and Blade Runner: 2049. He'll just do it in his way.

I don’t know what he’ll do, but you’re right that the Sherlock Holmes films were certainly not the unmelodic, tonal pieces that lots of people characterise his work as (I wonder if some folk only know his superhero stuff?). I think they’re great and very recognisable scores, and they rather show that he’s extremely hard to second guess. Or look at Chevaliers de Sangreal from Da Vinci Code: that’s a brilliant piece.
    I’ve no idea how he’ll approach Bond but I’m hoping to be impressed, I think at worst it’s going to be a score that works well.
  • MarkOOMarkMarkOOMark Posts: 91MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    I don't think Billie Eilish is an obvious choise for Bond

Which is a good reason to use her I feel... I would certainly welcome someone like her than many of the suggestions here, which are frankly in the dark ages, and corny as hell. Lana del Ray could be good too, although her vocal style is more suited to a 'traditional' Bond theme, she also has an edgyness; though not to the same degree as Eilish.... not that I can imagine her (Eilish) wanting to do it.

Does anyone know Cary's musical taste?
    Zimmer has been officially confirmed by Eon, which is nice.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    The next, and probably last, piece of important news before we get to see the film is the title song singer. I wonder when we'll find out?
  • SilentSpySilentSpy Private Exotic AreaPosts: 765MI6 Agent
    If Zimmer can stick around afterwards and they could get Nolan directing the next one since they work together a lot. Then we might really get some good Bond movies. I own many CDs from Hans Zimmer. So I'm looking forward to the movie even more now.
    "Better late than never."
    Billie Eilish posted a lot of pictures of Bond girls on her Instagram story. She's probably just having some fun with the rumor though.
    Eva.jpg
    TB.jpg
  • AugustWalkerAugustWalker Posts: 880MI6 Agent
    Confirmed!

708-C0-B6-D-F100-4-D2-A-922-B-2-A7-F33-D0-C9-B7.jpg
    The name is Walker by the way.

IG: @thebondarchives
    Check it out, you won’t be disappointed :)
  • Bmorelli11Bmorelli11 Posts: 197MI6 Agent
    This is great news! She'll turn in a fantastic Bond song!
    Confirmed!

You're that English secret agent from England | Instagram: @matchedperfectly | Web: www.matchedperfectly.us
  • John Francis KennedyJohn Francis Kennedy South lanarkshire, ScotlandPosts: 88MI6 Agent
    I hope it’s good....
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    Now that's it has been established who the theme song artist is and that the song has been written......I wonder if Zimmer will be incorporating the theme song into the overall score?
    Exciting! To be honest I didn't know of her until the rumours started. I don't think "Bond title song material" every time I hear one of her songs, but she's obviously talented and popular. Billie Eilish must be the youngest title song artist in the history of the series, right? Hopefully she'll peak interest for NTTD and Bond with people her own age.
    edited January 2020
    I found this on Wikipedia about Billie Eilish:

Musical style, songwriting, and music videos

Avery Stone of Noisey described Eilish's soprano vocals as "ethereal",[55] and Maura Johnston of Rolling Stone characterized them as "whispery".[56] Doreen St. Félix of The New Yorker opined that she has a "husky, slurring voice that she can thin out to reedy".[57] Music critic Robert Christgau wrote that while Eilish is musically and commercially pop, her brand also "reminds us how amorphous [pop] has become", describing her soprano as "too diminutive for vocal calisthenics", adding that her "playful version of teen-goth angst" and "electro-saturated debut album" captivated a diverse audience.[58] Her music incorporates alternative pop,[59] dark pop,[60] EDM,[61] electropop,[59] indie pop,[62][59] and pop.[63]
    Eilish and her brother Finneas O'Connell collaborate on songwriting.[64][65] Eilish called Finneas her partner in making music.[64] He writes for her albums, produces her music and also performs with her on live shows.[66][64] Eilish and Finneas "like to completely make up things and become characters" and "have songs that are really fictional".[65] Eilish said a number of the songs also derive from her and Finneas' experiences.[65] They try to write "really interesting and conversational" lyrics: "We try to say stuff that doesn't have to be that deep [...] but you say something way deeper in a certain way that makes sense, but you haven't really thought about."[65] Finneas has stated when he writes songs for his sister, he aims to "write [songs] that I think she'll relate to and enjoy singing and empathise with the lyrics and make her own".[67] When he writes with Eilish, he tries "to help her tell whatever story she's trying to tell, bounce ideas off of her, listen to her ideas", and use a language that fits her voice telling the story.[67]
    Eilish has insisted on directing her own music videos since she was 14, a role she says she wants to do for the rest of her career, though initially she was shunned from the opportunities due to lack of experience.[68] She directed the video for her single "Xanny" shortly before her 18th birthday.

Influences

Eilish has said that stumbling upon "Runaway" by singer Aurora on YouTube is what inspired her to pursue music.[69][70] Hip hop music is Eilish's favorite genre and biggest inspiration.[71] She has cited Tyler, the Creator and Childish Gambino as major musical and style influences for her,[72][64] and other influences include Earl Sweatshirt, Amy Winehouse, Spice Girls, and Lana Del Rey.[77] She has been compared in the media to both Lorde and Del Rey,[78][79] the latter of whom she says she does not want to be compared to, stating, "That woman [Lana] has made her brand so perfect for her whole career and she shouldn't have to hear that."[80] She has also named Rihanna as an inspiration for her style choices, after she called fashion her "defense mechanism" during an acceptance speech.[81] In 2019, Eilish said she admired Ariana Grande for her vocal ability and felt she identified with her, adding that Grande's album Thank U, Next inspired her to continue making music.

I find it promising how she's compared to Lana del Rey, Amy Winehouse and Lorde. She was also the opening act for Florence and the Machine on their latest tour. All those artist have all been mentioned often as possible Bond title song artists.
  • CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,450MI6 Agent
    Confirmed!

Interesting! It'll certainly help with younger viewers. The teens in my life love her.

I have to say that, after all the #wokebond stuff, it's surprising that EON went with a singer who is legally a child.
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,759MI6 Agent
    I’ve just done a quick listen to her small catalogue of work and it is not to my taste. But at the end of the day, the title song is more of a publicity stunt than a part of the film (this is especially true given the diminished role the song has played in the film score of late). So if it generates positive interest in the film, I couldn’t care less who sings the song.
    Confirmed!

So I guess it was more then just her playing with a rumor :))
    Someone (not our Someone) has put Bille Eilish's "You should see me in a crown" over the SPECTRE trailer:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=billie+eilish+%22james+bond%22&view=detail&mid=D64565214BACCCA44A2DD64565214BACCCA44A2D&FORM=VIRE
  • propcollector22propcollector22 Lake district UKPosts: 72MI6 Agent
    so no Beyonce, no sherran just little old Billie !

Billie Eilish has been confirmed to sing the theme song for the new James Bond film, No Time To Die. The 18-year-old is the youngest person in history to write and perform the theme song for a James Bond film. Billie co-wrote the as yet unnamed track with her older brother, Finneas. The James Bond Twitter account confirmed the news, tweeting: ‘The #NoTimeToDie title song will be performed by @billieeilish. ‘Billie has written the song with her brother @finneas and is the youngest artist in history to write and record a James Bond theme song.’
    Paul
    (no money left now...send food parcels)
    so no Beyonce, no sheeran just little old Billie !

Billie Eilish has been confirmed to sing the theme song for the new James Bond film, No Time To Die. The 18-year-old is the youngest person in history to write and perform the theme song for a James Bond film. Billie co-wrote the as yet unnamed track with her older brother, Finneas. The James Bond Twitter account confirmed the news, tweeting: ‘The #NoTimeToDie title song will be performed by @billieeilish. ‘Billie has written the song with her brother @finneas and is the youngest artist in history to write and record a James Bond theme song.’
    Paul
    so no Beyonce, no sheeran just little old Billie !

Paul
  • DB6DB6 EnglandPosts: 1,196MI6 Agent
    I think she is a great choice and I'm confident it will be a great track - excited to hear it!
    My name has changed! I’m no longer dufus......now I’m DB6
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    edited January 2020
    HowardB wrote:
    Now that's it has been established who the theme song artist is and that the song has been written......I wonder if Zimmer will be incorporating the theme song into the overall score?

The only times that the theme songs have been incorporated into the score were when the composer of the score also worked on the theme (it has been said that Barry had something to do with writing the FRWL theme, even though he's not credited). Though we get one cue of the theme in each of the last two scores, I wouldn't say that's incorporating the theme into the overall score. We may get that again, but I'm not expecting it to be incorporated into the score.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • Revs1972Revs1972 Posts: 78MI6 Agent
    Whilst I really do like her voice, most of her work is pretty dark.
    I read an apt description of her music.
    It makes depressed people a little happier and happy people a little despressed.
    Sums it up for me.....

I do like that bad guys track

I hope what she does for bond is upbeat
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    I’ve just done a quick listen to her small catalogue of work and it is not to my taste. But at the end of the day, the title song is more of a publicity stunt than a part of the film (this is especially true given the diminished role the song has played in the film score of late). So if it generates positive interest in the film, I couldn’t care less who sings the song.

IMO, she's quite talented (her brother also). Her work is not necessarily my cup of tea either but it is at least interesting and listenable and that's high praise coming from an old crank like me when it comes to music. I'm just glad they didn't go with some awful sample happy, voice processed, garbage merchant that is so prevalent in music these days. I also highly recommend checking out her live in the studio acoustic performance from the Howard Stern Show on YouTube. Her voice is actually much stronger with surprising range and more emotional punch in that minimalist setting. Her older brother/writing partner/producer/accompanist appears to be quite talented and has said his experience as an actor (he has had quite a few featured roles in TV series) has really helped him as a songwriter, providing him with the ability to go outside of himself and see things from other people's perspectives. I think they will do a more than decent job but I agree, except for CR, the theme song has been just the theme song and not part of the score.......unless things change this time around.
    "Billie Eilish Talks Bond Theme Song 'No Time To Die'" (not an interview, but statements from her and her Brother)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-unVJKOlRY
  • AugustWalkerAugustWalker Posts: 880MI6 Agent
    Interesting choice indeed. I particularly like her in this song:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o61BiBCXMCI
    The name is Walker by the way.

IG: @thebondarchives
    Check it out, you won’t be disappointed :)
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    emtiem wrote:
    Gassy Man wrote:
    HowardB wrote:

Because Zimmer (and his crew) have such a huge body of work, you have to focus on certain scores which are more melodic in content. It's not hard for me to imagine Zimmer adapting to a Bond score that would be recognizable without visuals as a Bond score. Zimmer's use of heavy, electronic percussion should work well in a Bond score. I would love to have an updated variation on Barry's "007" with that heavy percussion and/or the Bond theme.
    I'm sure he'll incorporate melody -- he certainly did in the Sherlock Holmes movies, which really were more like Bond films, as well as Man of Steel and Blade Runner: 2049. He'll just do it in his way.
    Gotta run, but if as you suggest, this doesn't sound majestic and could be the sort of thing to make the Bond score, too, I don't know what does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5FyRZbqfeM

I don’t know what he’ll do, but you’re right that the Sherlock Holmes films were certainly not the unmelodic, tonal pieces that lots of people characterise his work as (I wonder if some folk only know his superhero stuff?). I think they’re great and very recognisable scores, and they rather show that he’s extremely hard to second guess. Or look at Chevaliers de Sangreal from Da Vinci Code: that’s a brilliant piece.
    I’ve no idea how he’ll approach Bond but I’m hoping to be impressed, I think at worst it’s going to be a score that works well.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Gassy Man wrote:
    emtiem wrote:
    Gassy Man wrote:
    Gotta run, but if as you suggest, this doesn't sound majestic and could be the sort of thing to make the Bond score, too, I don't know what does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5FyRZbqfeM

Chevaliers de Sangreal is the kind of music that has come to dominate film and television music over the past 15 years. A simplistic chord progression with arpeggios that crescendos. There's no melody. Nothing is actually happening here. It may work in the context of the film (I didn't think this film's music did much for it), but this isn't complete music. This is exactly why I dislike Zimmer. When Philip Glass did it half a century ago it was revolutionary, but minimalism served a musical purpose when he first did it, and he has done much more with it than Zimmer has.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    Matt S wrote:
    HowardB wrote:

The only times that the theme songs have been incorporated into the score were when the composer of the score also worked on the theme (it has been said that Barry had something to do with writing the FRWL theme, even though he's not credited). Though we get one cue of the theme in each of the last two scores, I wouldn't say that's incorporating the theme into the overall score. We may get that again, but I'm not expecting it to be incorporated into the score.

Live and Let Die was incorporated.