Craig is back: Discuss Bond 25 here

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,373Chief of Staff
    Department of useless information: I worked with Hodge's mother over 30 years ago. Never met him.
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    Revolver66 wrote:
    Sounds great apart from the "personal connection" part

If true, hopefully not the "personal connection" angle like SPECTRE. Personal connection could mean a lot of things. Could be someone Bond worked with in the past (former agent, government official, etc); someone he had an affair with. Could be that his housekeeper, May is really a Russian Agent :)) -{ .
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,810MI6 Agent
    Can one of the AJB007 members who are also members of MI6COMMUNITY ask them about this source? They clearly trust this person enough to quote him/her in their Production Diary, so I'd like to think they know who it is or his/her posting history regarding Bond or movie rumors in general.

It is the first source regarding the Hodges script that at least looks vaguely legitimasjon, so we have nothing better to do.
  • SomeoneSomeone Posts: 1,544MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    A Reddit user called "CahleyPersia" has posted about Bond25. I don't know anythging about this peron, but MI6Community seems to find him believable enough to quote him in their production diary.

Boyle is said to have a female villain at the centre of his Bond film and he is actively casting the role now. They want an A-list actress for the role. I've heard the usual suspects of A-listers who have supposedly met with Boyle or will meet with him. I have a friend at CAA and the part is billed as someone with a "personal connection" to Bond.

There is also a role of a young female MI6 agent who Bond is said to mentor. This role may even be informally cast already.

John Hodge has finished his draft. He will likely remain the sole writer of the project. Despite internet gossip, Danny Boyle is not officially writing the script.

Unfortunately for Boyle, MGM is up for sale.

"MGM is holding off [deciding on a distributor] because it is using the Bond rights as a carrot for whoever wants to buy the studio, a knowledgable source tells The Hollywood Reporter. After Barber's exit, MGM has been coy about whether or not it's for sale or if the company is finding a new CEO (the fact that there is no urgency in replacing Barber would signal that MGM is, in fact, in sale mode)," says The Hollywood Reporter.
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/mgm-using-james-bond-rights-as-leverage-a-sale-1099472?

But, The Hollywood Reporter adds: "and director Danny Boyle’s deal done, according to a source..."

What does an MGM sale mean for the 2019 release date? Will Spectre actually be Daniel Craig's last Bond? And will Boyle's Bond ever be made?

IMHO this female villain and mentored agent sounds terrible. An A-lister who has a personal connection. So, they would have to be about DC's age? Kate Winslet? Penelope Cruz?

If the villain was Lucia Sciarra, that might actually be interesting.
    The other actress who will play the younger agent who Bond is mentor for will likely be a British actress who is in her late 20's or in her 30's, I think.

This is if the rumors are true, of course.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    Someone wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    A Reddit user called "CahleyPersia" has posted about Bond25. I don't know anythging about this peron, but MI6Community seems to find him believable enough to quote him in their production diary.

Boyle is said to have a female villain at the centre of his Bond film and he is actively casting the role now. They want an A-list actress for the role. I've heard the usual suspects of A-listers who have supposedly met with Boyle or will meet with him. I have a friend at CAA and the part is billed as someone with a "personal connection" to Bond.

There is also a role of a young female MI6 agent who Bond is said to mentor. This role may even be informally cast already.

John Hodge has finished his draft. He will likely remain the sole writer of the project. Despite internet gossip, Danny Boyle is not officially writing the script.

Unfortunately for Boyle, MGM is up for sale.

"MGM is holding off [deciding on a distributor] because it is using the Bond rights as a carrot for whoever wants to buy the studio, a knowledgable source tells The Hollywood Reporter. After Barber's exit, MGM has been coy about whether or not it's for sale or if the company is finding a new CEO (the fact that there is no urgency in replacing Barber would signal that MGM is, in fact, in sale mode)," says The Hollywood Reporter.
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/mgm-using-james-bond-rights-as-leverage-a-sale-1099472?

But, The Hollywood Reporter adds: "and director Danny Boyle’s deal done, according to a source..."

What does an MGM sale mean for the 2019 release date? Will Spectre actually be Daniel Craig's last Bond? And will Boyle's Bond ever be made?

IMHO this female villain and mentored agent sounds terrible. An A-lister who has a personal connection. So, they would have to be about DC's age? Kate Winslet? Penelope Cruz?

Bo you just like to twist facts to make the next Bond film appear to be doomed? Bond 25 better be on its way for 2019, otherwise MGM's value in whatever deal they are trying to make is going to be much lower.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    Someone wrote:

IMHO this female villain and mentored agent sounds terrible. An A-lister who has a personal connection. So, they would have to be about DC's age?  Kate Winslet? Penelope Cruz?

"and director Boyle's deal done" sounds like (to me anyway) that Boyle is locked in as the director of Bond 25 which logically would
    indicate that Hodge's script is in play which would mean that "Boyle's Bond" will be made.
    I would doubt that the sale of the studio would delay Bond 25. Bond 25 is MGM's real cash cow and any new owners would
    be most especially keen on Bond 25 getting out to theaters as scheduled.
    Whether Craig would do another after 25 is a non issue for me. It appears that 25 will be his last.
    I also think it's a bit premature to trash a script based upon information that is quite vague, not in any real context and could be
    totally or partially inaccurate. I realize that this all fits neatly into your Bond 25 doomsday scenario....so I say enjoy the misery and
    take it where you will. :)) {[]
    Number24 wrote:
    The other actress who will play the younger agent who Bond is mentor for will likely be a British actress who is in her late 20's or in her 30's, I think.

This is if the rumors are true, of course.

Elizabeth Henstridge?
    Jenna Coleman?
    Erin Richards?
    Sophie Cookson?
    Emerald Fennell?
    Well, if this is all to be believed, I would venture that if the villain is to be cast with a big name actress (who more than likely would cost a nice chunk of change) then the younger agent would be probably cast with a relative unknown who wouldn't cost a ton.
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:

Here is the post. Discuss:

I've gained some more clarity on the situation:

Boyle will film the Richard Curtis comedy this summer. Then he will immediately begin pre-production on Bond 25. He will then shoot that film throughout 2019 and it will arrive in cinemas in November that year.

The release of the Richard Curtis comedy hasn't been set. The deal between Eon and Working Title allows for Boyle to edit the films concurrently. So when Bond 25 stops shooting, Danny will edit both films at the same time.

Despite being filmed first, you likely won't see the Richard Curtis comedy before you see Danny's Bond film.

Interesting indeed. Only slight cause for concern is the 'personal connection to Bond' like most things it depends upon how it is done. Also post production on Bond is always tight to say the least, but two post productions at the same time phew! I have a friend who runs post production and she is always astonished by the tightness of the schedule and the shortness of time between filming and release. They know what they are doing, so all should be well but they sure make it hard on themselves. Thanks for posting BTW.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
    edited April 2018
    If this is what happened a lot hinges on the editor. Boyle will go from the Bond editor to the music alle editor and approve or ask for changes. I don't think Boyle has an editor he uses all the time. John Harris has edited Trainspotting 2, Trance and 127 Hours. There are probably other editors he likes.
    After browsing MI6community a bit I get the impression that Cahleypersia is someone with some connections in the movie world. His posts are hit and miss, but he sometimes has useful information.
    Daniel Crag's new movie 'Kings' comes out 27 April in the USA, so I guess we can expect more Bond news when he is doing the publicity for 'Kings' later this month.
    Matt S wrote:
    Bo you just like to twist facts to make the next Bond film appear to be doomed? Bond 25 better be on its way for 2019, otherwise MGM's value in whatever deal they are trying to make is going to be much lower.

I think the value comes from owning 50% of the franchise, not if a film is about to come out.

Films are risk. I think any prospective owner would want their team to OK the script etc. Just as Sony had input into the Bond scripts as we saw with the Spectre leaks.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    Someone wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

I think the value comes from owning 50% of the franchise, not if a film is about to come out.

Films are risk. I think any prospective owner would want their team to OK the script etc. Just as Sony had input into the Bond scripts as we saw with the Spectre leaks.

You just keep on thinking what you want to think.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • HG1940HG1940 Posts: 59MI6 Agent
    ok female villain like in Kingsman 2!!!, and female disciple. if that is accurate, they better handle it very smoothly. 007 is a franchise mostly inspired towards manliness. I doubt we old guys can handle so much "feminism".
    It's time for a female main villain in a Bond movie.

Equality opportunity villainy :))
  • BondpuristBondpurist VauxhallPosts: 26MI6 Agent
    Put simply, that all sounds terrible.

Why can't any of these film writers just create a story that doesn't need a "personal connection" or "someone from Bond's past" to push the plot?
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,331MI6 Agent
    Well, three out of four of Craig's films managed.

"Personal connection" doesn't mean a SPECTRE redo. Us lacking in imagination doesn't mean the screenwriter is.
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,760MI6 Agent
    Well, three out of four of Craig's films managed.

"Personal connection" doesn't mean a SPECTRE redo. Us lacking in imagination doesn't mean the screenwriter is.

That’s a fair point. Even Spectre potentially could’ve been saved if Waltz had delivered a stellar performance.
    I wouldn't get too twisted over something that may not even be accurate. Even if true, personal connection can mean a lot of different things. Bond has offed a lot of bad guys over the years and more than likely a few innocents as collateral damage. It wouldn't be a stretch to think that Goldfinger Jr or some other offspring, wife, etc might have it in for Bond or a former agent, etc who's gone bad. It doesn't have to be forced or retconned like SPECTRE. It's actually kind of a relief that most of the rumors, news, etc coming out now IMO are positive. IMO, MGM being sold to a Sony or Warner Brothers could give some stability to the Bond series. Ironically, much like Blofeld, MGM has been the author of much of our pain with their financial instability over the years. Warners or Sony buying MGM could possibly solve two problems at once in that they are probably capable of distributing Bond themselves without a third partner.
    What if the female villain is Irma Bunt and she is now leading Spectre as Blofeld is in jail?

The personal connection could be it's Irma that kills Madeleine just as Irma killed Tracy in OHMSS.

I would imagine that a young 20s/30s MI6 agent would be there to challenge Bond's misogyny, in the age of Time's Up and equal pay.

I do wish MGM would be bought by Sony or WBros, MGM's troubles have been at the heart of Bond's woes for too long.
    Someone wrote:
    What if the female villain is Irma Bunt

Now that would be a blast from the past, and the young female agent working with Bond should be called Cheryl Haven.
  • UnderwaterBattle007UnderwaterBattle007 Posts: 284MI6 Agent
    Surely the young female agent, is the perfect opportunity to introduce the character called "Gala Brand".
    FRWl, CR, OHMSS, TSWLM, SF, GF, TLD, LTK, TND, FYEO, OP,TWINE, GE, LALD, TB, SPECTRE, DN, YOLT, TMWTGG, QOS, MR, DAF, DAD, AVTAK, NTTD.

"Do you expect me to talk? "No Mister Bond I expect you to die"
    I agree :007)
    Surely the young female agent, is the perfect opportunity to introduce the character called "Gala Brand".

We know that P&W would mine Fleming for ideas and plot points in their original scripts and was not unusual with other writers employed by EON. I really have no idea of Hodge or Boyle's familiarity with the original Fleming novels but I would have to agree it would be the perfect opportunity to introduce the character.
  • Revolver66Revolver66 Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 470MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:

We know that P&W would mine Fleming for ideas and plot points in their original scripts and was not unusual with other writers employed by EON. I really have no idea of Hodge or Boyle's familiarity with the original Fleming novels but I would have to agree it would be the perfect opportunity to introduce the character.

I saw an interview with Danny Boyle where he said that he loved the Fleming books and read them over and over in his younger years. Very encouraging because it sounds like the man knows and loves his Fleming -{ -{

They've had two opportunities to do that already, and have declined!
    Revolver66 wrote:
    HowardB wrote:

I saw an interview with Danny Boyle where he said that he loved the Fleming books and read them over and over in his younger years. Very encouraging because it sounds like the man knows and loves his Fleming -{ -{

That is very encouraging to hear. Sometimes I worry that some of these auteur film makers always want to completely "deconstruct" classic characters like Bond with no regard to their literary roots. I should have remembered the Bond references in Trainspotting. Boyle
    is a talented film maker, but also a Bond fan and old enough to have experienced the complete Bond experience first hand; the novels, all the films, etc. Respect and reverence for Fleming's Bond IMO, could only help a Bond film.
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    I agree :007)

Would be nice, particularly if they did more than just use the name, a bit of interdepartmental friction with Special Branch might suggest a UK storyline component at least for some of it. London has been overused in recent times though.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.