Craig is back: Discuss Bond 25 here

Comments

• SomeoneSomeone Posts: 1,547MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Someone wrote:
    Naomie Harris has been asked about Bond again, and she sounds a bit fed up and sarcastic in her response in this video dated 13 April at 3 min 29 seconds. Unsurprisingly, she knows nothing.

Do you genuinely believe Harris and Whishaw wouldn’t know if they were required for filming ? :o

If they're not in it, no.

And if I knew I wasn't in something and people kept asking me about it, I'd be pretty sarcastic too.

Moneypenny and Q, traditionally, only had one or two days filming anyway. If Boyle's film follows traditional Bond movies then Harris and Whishaw could easily fit a couple of days sometime in 2019 into their diaries and they wouldn't necessarily know now about all that.

Casting seems to be locked down in September, with auditions in July, August, that's the impression I get from the recent movies' leaks and news. I guess they will know for sure then.

It's interesting that both Harris and Fiennes have, with previous films, confirmed their involvement by this time.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,486Chief of Staff
    I seem to recall that Fiennes signed a 3-film contract so should automatically be involved without necessarily issuing a confirmation at this point.
    Variety has followed The Hollywood Reporter and thrown doubt on the likelihood of Bond25 coming out in October/November 2019.

In its story, Danny Boyle’s Lily James-Kate McKinnon Comedy Gets Fall 2019 Release it wrote;
    "MGM announced last summer that it would open Bond 25 on Nov. 8, 2019, but it’s unlikely to do so."
    http://variety.com/2018/film/news/danny-boyle-kate-mckinnon-comedy-fall-2019-release-1202754690/

Which also throws into doubt the few cast members who have suggested, expected an end of year start to filming.

BTW people can always walk away from one of those standard three-film, typically with a fourth movie option, contract; if all parties agree.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,486Chief of Staff
    Someone wrote:

BTW people can always walk away from one of those standard three-film, typically with a fourth movie option, contract; if all parties agree.

Indeed they can, but my point is there wouldn't need to be a confirmation that an actor (in this case Ralph Fiennes) would play the third film- it would be expected unless there was an announcement to the contrary.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    Someone wrote:
    Variety has followed The Hollywood Reporter and thrown doubt on the likelihood of Bond25 coming out in October/November 2019.

In its story, Danny Boyle’s Lily James-Kate McKinnon Comedy Gets Fall 2019 Release it wrote;
    "MGM announced last summer that it would open Bond 25 on Nov. 8, 2019, but it’s unlikely to do so."
    http://variety.com/2018/film/news/danny-boyle-kate-mckinnon-comedy-fall-2019-release-1202754690/

Which also throws into doubt the few cast members who have suggested, expected an end of year start to filming.

Do you trust tabloids more than you trust the people who are actually involved with the film?

You're reading someone else's speculation, which carries no weight at all. A release date of another film that Boyle is working on should have little effect on when his Bond film is released.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • Arbogast 777Arbogast 777 Minneapolis Posts: 595MI6 Agent
    edited April 2018
    Matt S wrote:
    Do you trust tabloids more than you trust the people who are actually involved with the film?

You're reading someone else's speculation, which carries no weight at all.

To be fair, Variety and Hollywood Reporter are not tabloids. They are deeply connected with the business and I think if they report something it goes beyond speculation and should carry considerable weight.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:

To be fair, Variety and Hollywood Reporter are not tabloids. They are deeply connected with the business and I think if they report something it goes beyond speculation and should carry considerable weight.

It is being presented here as speculation, so at this point it doesn't carry much weight.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    Matt S wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

It is being presented here as speculation, so at this point it doesn't carry much weight.

It's amazing how people on this board will declare something true if a trade paper reports a rumour/leak, like the Boyle reports, if they like it, but denounce it if it is news they don't like.

I have noticed that at every 'stage' of this whole Bond25 'process' that when the trades report a rumour or make a remark about something that could happen, it's happened.

For two different trade papers to make cryptic comments about a release date says to me they are being fed this as media management by sources at EON/MGM while those firms ready themselves for a May delay announcement.
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Someone wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

It's amazing how people on this board will declare something true if a trade paper reports a rumour/leak, like the Boyle reports, if they like it, but denounce it if it is news they don't like.

I have noticed that at every 'stage' of this whole Bond25 'process' that when the trades report a rumour or make a remark about something that could happen, it's happened.

For two different trade papers to make cryptic comments about a release date says to me they are being fed this as media management by sources at EON/MGM while those firms ready themselves for a May delay announcement.

What seems apparent to me is that production of 25 is already 'troubled' personally I'd rather a delayed film than a rushed one. I'm optimistic that when we do see it it stands every chance of being a doozy. I'm particularly keen if P&W are out of the frame, and that Boyle and Hodges are in.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,677Chief of Staff
    Someone wrote:

No. That’s just you. Especially if it’s (reported) bad news 8-) ...Chicken Little springs to mind :))
    YNWA 97
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,760MI6 Agent
    Daniel Craig said just last week his next project was Bond. So perhaps the release date gets delayed, but I don’t see it getting delayed by a significant period of time.
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,974MI6 Agent
    Kate McKinnon is a very funny lady, but no one is going to swap one of her films for the traditional preChristmas release date of the next Bond picture. That's when the movies they expect to make big bucks over the Christmas season come out.
    Surely the big event popcorn blockbuster pays the studio's bills from its Christmas earnings, and the more niche films, like Kate McKinnon comedies, can ride on its financial coattails for the rest of the year.
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:

They're trade papers, as they used to say. Like such, though, they get fed a lot of information through news releases and publicists.
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    edited April 2018
    The articles that "Someone" posted of course are pretty much speculation...but that doesn't mean they don't bring up some interesting points.
    Here are some possible scenarios:
    - Bond 25 is released Nov 2019 w/ Boyle as director
    - Bond 25 is delayed for release until spring/summer 2020 with Boyle as director
    - Bond 25 is released Nov 2019 with a script credited to John Hodge and Boyle but directed by someone other than Boyle.
    - Bond 25 reverts back to the Purvis/Wade and a different director (Mendes rides in on his horse to save the day / or ruin it for some)

IMO, if Bond 25 were to be delayed, it would be delayed for a year. EON, MGM or whoever their partner(s) would be loath to open a Bond film in Summer 2020 (which filmwise begins in the beginning of May) and have to compete with everyone else's tentpole releases (Marvel, etc) and battle for seats and possibly not getting any exposure in IMAX cinemas, and other large format cinemas's. On the other hand, waiting a whole year would put MGM (if they are still involved) at financial risk as they are very dependent on Bond revenue. Even if MGM is sold, the new studio is probably banking on a Nov 2019 release. Throw in Craig putting off a big Showtime mini-series I get the feeling that Bond 25 hits theaters in Nov 2019......and as discussed here, for better or worst. Just my thoughts. Anything could happen of course.
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    The momentum behind Craig started waning since Spectre's lackluster reception and each year the noise around the next Bond gets louder and louder so I think EON wouldn't want to delay Bond 25 any longer, especially after already confirming its release date.
    The momentum behind Craig started waning since Spectre's lackluster reception and each year the noise around the next Bond gets louder and louder so I think EON wouldn't want to delay Bond 25 any longer, especially after already confirming its release date.

SPECTRE may have had a lackluster reception by critics (primarily in the US) it certainly did not have a lackluster reception at the box office. It may not have made as much as Skyfall but it was still a huge hit. That being said, I think EON and Craig, despite the box office success were a bit chafed by the less than stellar reviews. For Craig, it may have just reinforced his rumoured dissatisfaction with the film. The current generation of EON are pretty good at seeing the "writing on the wall" sorry 8-) and while they got away with a closer to mediocre than stellar SPECTRE they know they need to deliver with Bond 25, hence being bold and dumping the P&W script and opting for the Hodge/Boyle treatment and taking a chance on Boyle given the tight schedule. One would think that EON is not flying by the seat of their pants with Bond 25 as it would appear.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,837MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    The articles that "Someone" posted of course are pretty much speculation...but that doesn't mean they don't bring up some interesting points.
    - Bond 25 is delayed for release until spring/summer 2020 with Boyle as director
    - Bond 25 is released Nov 2019 with a script credited to John Hodge and Boyle but directed by someone other than Boyle.
    - Bond 25 reverts back to the Purvis/Wade and a different director (Mendes rides in on his horse to save the day / or ruin it for some)

IMO, if Bond 25 were to be delayed, it would be delayed for a year. EON, MGM or whoever their partner(s) would be loath to open a Bond film in Summer 2020 (which filmwise begins in the beginning of May) and have to compete with everyone else's tentpole releases (Marvel, etc) and battle for seats and possibly not getting any exposure in IMAX cinemas, and other large format cinemas's. On the other hand, waiting a whole year would put MGM (if they are still involved) at financial risk as they are very dependent on Bond revenue. Even if MGM is sold, the new studio is probably banking on a Nov 2019 release. Throw in Craig putting off a big Showtime mini-series I get the feeling that Bond 25 hits theaters in Nov 2019......and as discussed here, for better or worst. Just my thoughts. Anything could happen of course.

I doubt Hodge's script will be filmed with another director than Boyle. What do others think?
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Someone wrote:

No. That’s just you. Especially if it’s (reported) bad news 8-) ...Chicken Little springs to mind :))

Sometimes no news is just bad news taking it's fvcking time
    I should imagine that the Hodges script and Boyle as Director come as a package.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • bonded123bonded123 Posts: 291MI6 Agent
    If Bond 25 is delayed until 2020 I reckon some fans will be happy to move on with a new actor. Five years is a long gap and enough time to soft reboot the franchise with a new actor. For example: Dalton to Brosnan.
    I doubt Hodge's script will be filmed with another director than Boyle. What do others think?

Perhaps there is some deal that Hodge and Boyle must work on the film. "You can't have one without the other" kind of deal. I don't associate Boyle with the action genre, he's made a variety of films, so I can't see a major problem finding another director.

Longer term the franchise may benefit if MGM's stake is sold to another studio. Will this ever happen? Who knows, but MGM appear to be perennially stuck in financial problems - the studio released a mere three films in 2017. Their 2018 roster is higher so I guess there's a bit more money in MGM's bank account!
    HowardB wrote:

Jeez this is a conundrum and no mistake. Some excellent points made re risks of a summer release and the MGM financial dependence upon Bond. To go now with a P&W script or wait. Also Daniel is not a fine wine and does not benefit from longer gestation. If they do go with P&W the world and his mother might see it as an inferior good. Waiting has been a theme here as it's possible even likely that the initial delay was driven by waiting for Daniel in the first place. They really have painted themselves into a tight spot. Perhaps they would have been better off to have been bold and recast during the interim. I do want a better send off for DC though so I'm conflicted. Imagine what it's like For Eon. Would love to see the emails re this at some date. I'm sure the full facts will emerge at some point.
  • MrZarebaMrZareba Krakow, PolandPosts: 1,775MI6 Agent
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    I doubt that EON/MGM could get a distributor with a P&W script directed by Mendes, even with Craig in it.
    Gala Brand wrote:
    I doubt that EON/MGM could get a distributor with a P&W script directed by Mendes, even with Craig in it.

I don't know, much as Spectre was disappointing it was still (as has been pointed out) financially a success) if they kept the costs low and did without ridiculously expensive explosions and lack lustre car chases, Helicopters...I'm sure it's virtually guaranteed good box office, especially with Daniel as a highly bankable Bond. They would probably still have a bidding war.
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,170MI6 Agent
    MrZareba wrote:

I wouldn't bet against that. Sounds like it's going to be a fantastic car.

I do like Bond having a beautiful set of wheels but we've got to the point now where it's mandatory that he must have his car in every film. It's expected, even demanded by some and is akin to his Tardis now. If we see the Aston again in Bond 25 (and I certainly won't be complaining if we do) it'll be Bond and his Aston in all 6 of the last films.
    "Any of the opposition around..?"
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,677Chief of Staff
    Someone wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Someone wrote:

Sometimes no news is just bad news taking it's fvcking time

What bad news...? 8-)
    YNWA 97
    As I have said before, Craig is still hugely bankable as Bond. IMO, EON really wanted him back for another. We, the fanatical fans who post on sites like the AJB, see things differently than the general movie going public. I think the last thing EON and MGM wanted to do was move on to another Bond prematurely. Whether or not Bond 25 is pushed back, Craig will be Bond in Bond 25. I think Craig appeared to be very sincere and quite happy in the most recent video from the car auction that Bond 25 was up next for him.
    It's interesting that the Variety article didn't even quote "anonymous sources" when it came to Bond 25 being pushed back, they pretty much came to that conclusion based on the announcement that Boyle's next film is to be released Sept 2019 . Couple things to consider. From what I have read, filming of Boyle's next project is to occur over this summer. It is possible, especially if this is a relatively "small" film that it would be a four week shoot. If shooting begins in mid June, post production could begin in mid July. Boyle could still spend time on Bond 25 pre-production during the other film's post production. Also, keep in mind that there is a huge, experienced, top flight Bond production team in place to do a lot of the heavy lifting until Boyle is totally free.
  • Arbogast 777Arbogast 777 Minneapolis Posts: 595MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    From what I have read, filming of Boyle's next project is to occur over this summer. It is possible, especially if this is a relatively "small" film that it would be a four week shoot. If shooting begins in mid June, post production could begin in mid July. Boyle could still spend time on Bond 25 pre-production during the other film's post production.

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember an article a couple of weeks ago saying that Boyle would shoot the comedy, jump into Bond, then supervise both films’ post-productions at the same time. That’s why I think this comedy doesn’t necessarily mean Bond being knocked off schedule.

The curious thing about the Variety article is it literally says:

“The Irish writer-director said last month that he’s also been working on script for the 25th James Bond movie with plans to shoot the comedy first, followed by the 007 film at the end of the year”

Then two paragraphs later it says:

“MGM announced last summer that it would open Bond 25 on Nov. 8, 2019, but it’s unlikely to do so.”

Seems to be 2 contradictory bits of reporting, no?
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    It better not be delayed. If it is, what on earth are they farting about at? ?:)
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • ToTheRightToTheRight Posts: 314MI6 Agent
    I'm tired of this trend of catering to A list directors: allowing the gunbarrel to be placed wherever in the film, delaying the release of a new Bond film so their director can work on a play or whatever, etc
    I miss the days when Cubby called the shots.