Craig is back: Discuss Bond 25 here

Comments

• SomeoneSomeone Posts: 1,545MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    Well....Wonder Woman is Warner's domestically and internationally plus they are the studio behind the film. We don't officially know who is distributing Bond 25 but if it is Warner's internationally, they are a big operation and certainly have the resources to distribute two big films at the same time. Why would Warners take on another big franchise at the same time as another big film?......for the money, it's what they do. If it turns out not to be Warners....why would we even care? MGM/EON will go for the best deal.

The point is you have two tent pole movies competing against each other. The economics of movies is you want a clear field so everyone goes to see your one movie.
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,332MI6 Agent
    As for these claims about Warner Bros distributing internationally. They distribute Wonder Woman and the next WW film is being released at the same time as Bond. Why would you do that?

Wonder Woman 2 opens a week earlier. One might even argue the movies aren't competing for the same eyeballs, but even if they are, WB isn't going to pass on Bond just because of the release date being a week after another franchise. Something will open teh week after WW; why not another WB release.

And they'll simply shift the dates if they ultimately decide it's prudent. The dates are not tails wagging the dog and just because we haven't been informed, it doesn't mean they aren't working out a plan.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    As for these claims about Warner Bros distributing internationally. They distribute Wonder Woman and the next WW film is being released at the same time as Bond. Why would you do that?

Wonder Woman 2 opens a week earlier. One might even argue the movies aren't competing for the same eyeballs, but even if they are, WB isn't going to pass on Bond just because of the release date being a week after another franchise. Something will open teh week after WW; why not another WB release.

And they'll simply shift the dates if they ultimately decide it's prudent. The dates are not tails wagging the dog and just because we haven't been informed, it doesn't mean they aren't working out a plan.

The Europe release date for Bond 25 will be a week or so earlier. Does WW have the same release date in Europe that it has in the US?
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,962MI6 Agent
    isn't every big film distributor going to have at least one film out in time for the Christmas season?
    as they all merge into one global media monopoly, are they going to reduce the number of films released til there's only one film to choose from?
    I'm sure Warner Brothers bean-counters would be very happy to have both Wonder Woman and Bond25 making money for them over the Christmas break.

(though I do get why keeping the Wonder Woman success going would be the priority: they don't just distribute it, they own the character. And the other recent DC Comics films have been flops.)
    Ralph Fiennes to film a comedy in "early 2019"
    https://deadline.com/2018/04/ralph-fiennes-chris-addison-team-comedy-hallelujah-rush-producer-1202378101/

Admittedly, in Bond films the actor playing M could usually film their scenes in a couple of days, but the Whitehall team have been more involved in the recent movies.

But, it doesn't bode well. More evidence that actors aren't waiting for Bond25, even if Naomie Harris says she has cleared her diary.
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    Someone wrote:
    Ralph Fiennes to film a comedy in "early 2019"
    https://deadline.com/2018/04/ralph-fiennes-chris-addison-team-comedy-hallelujah-rush-producer-1202378101/

Admittedly, in Bond films the actor playing M could usually film their scenes in a couple of days, but the Whitehall team have been more involved in the recent movies.

But, it doesn't bode well. More evidence that actors aren't waiting for Bond25, even if Naomie Harris says she has cleared her diary.

May be. But as you said, Fiennes and Harris' scenes could be filmed in a couple of days. It is not unusual for actors who only have small parts to jump in and shoot their scene or scenes in a day or two. It is possible that "M" just has the obligatory "here's your mission" scene. Oh yes, and in one sentence you contradict yourself: "More evidence that actors aren't waiting for Bond25, even if Naomie Harris says she has cleared her diary."
    HowardB wrote:
    Oh yes, and in one sentence you contradict yourself: "More evidence that actors aren't waiting for Bond25, even if Naomie Harris says she has cleared her diary."

It's not a contradiction.
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    It's a shame that a lot of the general public thinks Craig is already done. I think one cause of this is the massive amount of time spent between films (whether intentional or not) compared to the other Bonds who maintained pretty consistent release timeframes.
  • Arbogast 777Arbogast 777 Minneapolis Posts: 595MI6 Agent
    It's a shame that a lot of the general public thinks Craig is already done. I think one cause of this is the massive amount of time spent between films (whether intentional or not) compared to the other Bonds who maintained pretty consistent release timeframes.

I think the way Spectre ended helped that too...
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent

As did Craig's comments. Plus all of the media hype about who the next James Bond actor is going to be.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    Matt S wrote:

As did Craig's comments. Plus all of the media hype about who the next James Bond actor is going to be.
    Both are potential causes as well!
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,760MI6 Agent

True. But I think if they make a good film, the long gap could be an advantage. An uninended consequence of EON’s inability/unwillingness to churn out Bond films every two years is that a Bond film feels like more of a special event and less like an assembly-line product. Granted, the assembly line approach isn’t hurting Marvel Studios, but it’s still too early to say whether it will work in the long haul for Star Wars, for instance. I don’t think it would work for Bond. All franchises should not be compared to comic book movies. And the argument that Bond came out every year in the 60s, etc., is just silly.
  • Arbogast 777Arbogast 777 Minneapolis Posts: 595MI6 Agent
    An uninended consequence of EON’s inability/unwillingness to churn out Bond films every two years is that a Bond film feels like more of a special event and less like an assembly-line product.

I cannot agree with this more. At this stage in the game, less is more for Bond, for me. If Marvel had been making movies since 1962 and we were on our 6th Iron Man, you wouldn’t want them at the pace they are going at now, either...
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    Marvel has an almost 60-year back log of stories to draw from, EON doesn't. Mendes said he was asked to direct a Marvel film, and he asked to see the script, and they sent him a two-foot high stack of comics. He lost interest at that point.

OTOH, I think there are a number of talented directors out there who have thought a lot about what they'd do if they got a chance to make a Bond film, but EON is unlikely to let them do what they really want to do.
    Gala Brand wrote:
    Marvel has an almost 60-year back log of stories to draw from, EON doesn't. Mendes said he was asked to direct a Marvel film, and he asked to see the script, and they sent him a two-foot high stack of comics. He lost interest at that point.

OTOH, I think there are a number of talented directors out there who have thought a lot about what they'd do if they got a chance to make a Bond film, but EON is unlikely to let them do what they really want to do.

Very good observations. IMO, it is also much easier in the comic book and comic book film world, where generally re-booting, re-imagining, reinventing, and re-casting is much more accepted and commonplace than re-casting and/or re-booting James Bond, which can be a very tricky and risky business.

With regard to EON not being willing to allow talented directors do what they really want to do with Bond, IMO, that's a two edged sword. In some cases I would assume that what these directors may have had in mind could have potentially destroyed or at least severely hobbled the franchise if they veered too drastically far from the ingredients that made the films so successful over such a long time. On the other hand, the current keepers of the Bond flame at EON have shown a willingness to move in a different direction with the Craig films and allow more collaboration but still being very careful to not push so far off that it is no longer a Bond film.

I have no idea of what Hodges and Boyle have conjured up for Bond 25. I'm guessing based upon Boyle's love for the Fleming novels that it's not going to be some crazy self indulgent reinvention of Bond. What I am hoping for is quality. An intelligent script with an interestinging plot, compelling characters and action that is both suspenseful, original and exciting. A good injection of "hardboiled Bond" which plays much more to Craig's strengths and Fleming's Bond.
    Gala Brand wrote:
    Marvel has an almost 60-year back log of stories to draw from

Except they seldom do. Aside from appropriating titles the way Moore films used Fleming titles (WINTER SOLDIER, CIVIL WAR), nodding to the source material here and there, the comic book movies pretty much hang all their characters on original plots.
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,962MI6 Agent
    Gala Brand wrote:
    Marvel has an almost 60-year back log of stories to draw from, EON doesn't.
    EON has a 65 year backlog of stories to draw from, much of which remains untouched.
    Off the top of my head: most of Moonraker, most of Diamonds are Forever, three stories from For Your Eyes Only, all of the Spy Who Loved Me, much of You Only Live Twice, almost all of the Man with the Golden Gun, and the short stories Octopussy and 007 in New York. Plus continuation novels and the old newspaper strip.

I agree there is an irony in suggesting "what if Marvel had been making movies since 1962?" since Fantastic Four #1 came out November 1961.
    By 1963 almost all their best known series were coming out on a monthly basis, and have been ever since.
    Play with this site to see what titles Marvel had on the newsstand every month.
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    Gala Brand wrote:
    Marvel has an almost 60-year back log of stories to draw from

Except they seldom do. Aside from appropriating titles the way Moore films used Fleming titles (WINTER SOLDIER, CIVIL WAR), nodding to the source material here and there, the comic book movies pretty much hang all their characters on original plots.

They do more than just nod at the source material. Infinity War is probably 70% of the comic book version (the big difference being Thanos's motivations) which is like CR, which was about 70% similar to the Fleming novel.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/thanos-motivations-in-avengers-infinity-war-have-much-1825660879
    Gala Brand wrote:
    Marvel has an almost 60-year back log of stories to draw from, EON doesn't.
    EON has a 65 year backlog of stories to draw from, much of which remains untouched.
    Off the top of my head: most of Moonraker, most of Diamonds are Forever, three stories from For Your Eyes Only, all of the Spy Who Loved Me, much of You Only Live Twice, almost all of the Man with the Golden Gun, and the short stories Octopussy and 007 in New York. Plus continuation novels and the old newspaper strip.

I’m sorry, but this is the epitome of false equivalency.
    An uninended consequence of EON’s inability/unwillingness to churn out Bond films every two years is that a Bond film feels like more of a special event and less like an assembly-line product.

I cannot agree with this more. At this stage in the game, less is more for Bond, for me. If Marvel had been making movies since 1962 and we were on our 6th Iron Man, you wouldn’t want them at the pace they are going at now, either...

Exactly.
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent

Exactly.

Its already way past 'enough already' Box office for infinity wars are through the roof stateside so I expect well keep getting more of the same until numbers drop. Would not want that for Bond.Three years seems like a reasonable spacing. I would not be opposed to a new actor every instalment or even other one. There are a number of actors who would have one or maybe two good Bonds in them but finding the right person for a 10 year gig may be tough.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • canoe2canoe2 Posts: 2,007MI6 Agent
    I don't think you can compare what Marvel is doing to the Bond franchise. Aside from the business side of things (Marvel being part of the Disney empire and having little to no financial worries), the whole structure is different. Eon depends on the adventures of one character and needs to find ways to keep that character interesting for audiences after nearly 60 years of exposure. Marvel has 8? 9? 10? interlocking franchises going, with more on the way. Plus the TV shows, comics, etc. Their sandbox is huge compared to Eon's.
    canoe2 wrote:
    I don't think you can compare what Marvel is doing to the Bond franchise. Aside from the business side of things (Marvel being part of the Disney empire and having little to no financial worries), the whole structure is different. Eon depends on the adventures of one character and needs to find ways to keep that character interesting for audiences after nearly 60 years of exposure. Marvel has 8? 9? 10? interlocking franchises going, with more on the way. Plus the TV shows, comics, etc. Their sandbox is huge compared to Eon's.
    I was going to post something similar to this but you said it much better.
    Following this film news for Ralph Fiennes for 2019...

Ralph Fiennes is now linked to another film filming next year...

http://deadline.com/2018/05/ralph-fiennes-rebecca-hall-mark-strong-said-taghmaoui-to-lead-john-michael-mcdonaghs-the-forgiven-hot-cannes-pic-1202383400/

The story also mentions that, "Next up for Fiennes is Etan Cohen’s Holmes And Watson for Columbia Pictures..."

Both films are said, in their respective stories, to start filming early next year, so one wonders how that can happen. Perhaps one starts in January and the other April?
    Some things to consider: while the role of "M" is iconic and Fiennes is a pretty big name his screen time can be very limited which could mean he is only needed for one or two days of shooting, especially if Hodge/Boyle's script follows the more traditional path of "M" basically briefing Bond on his next mission and sending him on his way (the same could apply to Moneypenny). It is not out of the realm of possibility that "M" is not even in Bond 25 or the part could be re-cast with another actor.
    I’d be happy if M was only in one or two scenes. Nothing against Fiennes; I think he’s a very good M. But we need less of M.
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,295MI6 Agent
    I’d be happy if M was only in one or two scenes. Nothing against Fiennes; I think he’s a very good M. But we need less of M.

Agree! Get back to the old days please!
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    The month of May... We may get no Bond news this month, based on what has happened before.

In 2007, May only saw a report on DC's WWII film Defiance.
    http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/entertainment/2007-05/18/content_875501.htm

In 2011, there was...

A story on product placement in Quantum
    https://screenrant.com/james-bond-product-placement/

In 2014, there was...

Bond girl screen test rumours
    http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/james-bond/30496/8-actresses-testing-for-scandinavian-james-bond-24-role
    welshboy78 wrote:

Agree! Get back to the old days please!
    Agreed as well!
    Someone wrote:
    The story also mentions that, "Next up for Fiennes is Etan Cohen’s Holmes And Watson for Columbia Pictures..."

Both films are said, in their respective stories, to start filming early next year, so one wonders how that can happen. Perhaps one starts in January and the other April?

Holmes and Watson wrapped filming quite some time ago. It's out in November.