Craig is back: Discuss Bond 25 here

Comments

• Red_SnowRed_Snow Posts: 296MI6 Agent
    More from reddit user CashleyPersia

I've heard that Boyle has committed to a script and casting is underway.

Supposedly, the big roles in the script are the female villain and Bond's understudy (another female role). I hear Sophie Rundle, Lily James, Ella Purnell and Antonia Thomas have auditioned/met with Boyle (though this list is not exhaustive). The role is not a "love interest" however is the co-lead of the film. I've also heard that Boyle isn't adverse to discovering a new name and possibly someone who isn't an actress. Though it sounds like a moronic suggestion, I've heard the singer Dua Lipa is high on the list.

Finally, the main villain has been written with Angelina Jolie in mind. I've heard this name for a very long while. I never quite trusted it but Boyle has wanted her since day 1 and it looks as though she's keen. They are now actively courting her and the script is being adjusted accordingly.

I've heard that the film is very British-based and the tone will be lighter than the last few movies. However, it is written as Craig's final Bond film and I hear Logan being used as a comparison often still....
    James Bond Australia - Website | Twitter | Mastodon | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | Newsletter

Bond on the Box - Website | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | LetterBoxd | YouTube
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,760MI6 Agent
    Red_Snow wrote:

Supposedly, the big roles in the script are the female villain and Bond's understudy (another female role). I hear Sophie Rundle, Lily James, Ella Purnell and Antonia Thomas have auditioned/met with Boyle (though this list is not exhaustive). The role is not a "love interest" however is the co-lead of the film. I've also heard that Boyle isn't adverse to discovering a new name and possibly someone who isn't an actress. Though it sounds like a moronic suggestion, I've heard the singer Dua Lipa is high on the list.

Finally, the main villain has been written with Angelina Jolie in mind. I've heard this name for a very long while. I never quite trusted it but Boyle has wanted her since day 1 and it looks as though she's keen. They are now actively courting her and the script is being adjusted accordingly.

I've heard that the film is very British-based and the tone will be lighter than the last few movies. However, it is written as Craig's final Bond film and I hear Logan being used as a comparison often still....

That’s all over the place. Lighter tone, but comparable to Logan? How can those two things both be true.

Overall, it sounds ghastly. JFC. I hope none of it is true.
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    Red_Snow wrote:

More British? If this means in terms of locations, then my excitement has died down, we need more non-British locations IMO, SP's climax in London was boring for me.

I don't know why they don't just film The Garden Of Death. The majority would be very happy with that, and it's different, and it stands out, AND it's Fleming. I'm still hoping they will, but if the above is true, then it doesn't exactly sound like it.

Regarding Logan, which I've never seen, I'm guessing they mean killing off Bond. Which I'm not comfortable with at all if true.
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    Even if this "CashleyPersia" has credible sources, by the time things get "whispered down the lane" things can get twisted, mis and re-interpreted and downright inaccurate. Comparisons to Logan wouldn't necessarily mean Bond would die (I don't think EON would allow that). It could just be that the film has an elegiac tone to it, being Craig's last Bond film. It's all just more dishes of pasta thrown up on the wall to see what may stick IMO.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,818MI6 Agent
    edited May 2018
    I hope "British based" means the villan and the girl is British, not that most of the locations are in Britain.
    Speaking of Bond girls: the actresses mentioned for the "understudy" role are about thirty years old, apart from Ella Purnell who is only 21. Not the best choice in today's climate, perhaps. "Co-lead" sounds horrible. I don't really believe she will get equal billing with Craig. Perhaps it means she'll be an ally and Bond won't sleep with her?

I'm generally against famous American actresses in Bond movies. Partly because of the history (Denise Richards, Halle Berry), but mostly because I want someone new as an audience member. I'm more positive about Angelina Jolie. She is stunning and very talented and as far as I know she has only played a real villan in Beowulf. Besides, I've wanted a female villan for many years.

I won't mind a light tone. The Logan reference is what really scares me. :o :o :o

(yes, I know this source isn't gospel)
  • SomeoneSomeone Posts: 1,545MI6 Agent
    Someone wrote:
    The story also mentions that, "Next up for Fiennes is Etan Cohen’s Holmes And Watson for Columbia Pictures..."

Both films are said, in their respective stories, to start filming early next year, so one wonders how that can happen. Perhaps one starts in January and the other April?

Holmes and Watson wrapped filming quite some time ago. It's out in November.

I've had a look on IMDB to see if DC, Fiennes, Whishaw, Naomie Harris or Rory Kinnear might have anything coming out soon that would see them interviewed and potentially give some Bond25 info, but none of them have anything out until the fourth quarter.

So, unless there is a film festival or awards bash where they can be interviewed on the red carpet, it's looking decidedly dry for Bond news from the principal cast.

June 20th is the day Marc Forster was announced as Quantum's director. That's only 43 days away.
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,956MI6 Agent
    hmmm Logan... there's other aspects to that film beyond Wolverine's death.
    Lots of graphic decapitations and disembowelments, don't really need to see all that again.
    But Logan was also about Wolverine adopting and training a kid sidekick, a little girl, who survives, presumably for her own sequel.
    And yall are predicting Bond will be training a young female protégé in Bond25? hmmm....
    Good point. It's also about Logan getting old. They already did a bit of that in Skyfall. It might work if they don’t overdo it. I wonder if "The understudy" is training to be a 00-agent?
    If so, will she have to assassinated two people?
    I would like that. If she survives Bond25, will she appear in later movies (even with a new Bond actor)?
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Good point. It's also about Logan getting old. They already did a bit of that in Skyfall. It might work if they don’t overdo it. I wonder if "The understudy" is training to be a 00-agent?

Logan is also about family and duty, as well as aging and death. So I hope that doesn't mean exploring the whole 'family' thread from Spectre... :# but overall that kind of depth would be good, as Bond films have often explored interesting themes such as revenge, identity and duality....
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    There is already a series of films concerning Family, idenity, revenge and duality ....
    They're called " Fast and Furious " :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Yes, those movies have a very deep and profound subtext.....
    And how both Men and Women can have big Boobs ! :D

( Joke from Brooklyn Nine Nine )
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Well Logan and Bond have this in common: both really don't really have any surviving biological family. Logan's family was basically the other X Men and the mutant kids at Dr Xavier's "school". Bond's "family" are basically a chosen few at MI6 and Felix Leiter. Also similarly, both Bond and Logan tend to be rogues who avoid relationships and getting close to people in no small measure as a result of losing or being betrayed by people they have grown close to. Other than Judy Dench's M and to an extent Moneypenny, Craig's Bond doesn't seem to have many relationships with women that are platonic. It would be interesting to see Craig interact with a young female agent he is supposed to be mentoring...especially if that female agent is much like the young Bond, an aggressive, reckless, blunt instrument with a roguish streak.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    Popped in to catch up on the speculation :o A vacuum creates entertaining posts here...but real news will be more useful.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Bmorelli11Bmorelli11 Posts: 197MI6 Agent
    I really hope that this is all just speculation and that it does not come to fruition. We've already seen Bond have a younger, female "understudy" in Skyfall and we all found out that "fieldwork isn't for everyone." Not to say that a female agent is less capable than Bond, it just seems like an unnecessary and distracting storyline for Daniel's final film.

Bond has already "broken in" a new Q, come to terms with a new M, and views Moneypenny as a true ally that he trusts completely. The core team is already established and in place, why introduce a "co-headliner" now?

I'm also not sold on having the understudy have a spinoff movie or movies. Bond isn't Marvel, and doesn't need to be. I don't want to see multiple stories set in the Bond Universe without 007 himself. I want to see Bond in exotic locations, with exotic cars, and exotic women, wearing high end attire defending the world and serving Her Majesty The Queen with wit and charm. Bond the character is what makes the movies unique and separates them from the Bournes, Mission: Impossibles, and Atomic Blondes of the cinematic world.
    You're that English secret agent from England | Instagram: @matchedperfectly | Web: www.matchedperfectly.us
    Bmorelli11 wrote:
    I really hope that this is all just speculation and that it does not come to fruition. We've already seen Bond have a younger, female "understudy" in Skyfall and we all found out that "fieldwork isn't for everyone." Not to say that a female agent is less capable than Bond, it just seems like an unnecessary and distracting storyline for Daniel's final film.

Bond has already "broken in" a new Q, come to terms with a new M, and views Moneypenny as a true ally that he trusts completely. The core team is already established and in place, why introduce a "co-headliner" now?

I'm also not sold on having the understudy have a spinoff movie or movies. Bond isn't Marvel, and doesn't need to be. I don't want to see multiple stories set in the Bond Universe without 007 himself. I want to see Bond in exotic locations, with exotic cars, and exotic women, wearing high end attire defending the world and serving Her Majesty The Queen with wit and charm. Bond the character is what makes the movies unique and separates them from the Bournes, Mission: Impossibles, and Atomic Blondes of the cinematic world.

I wouldn't get too concerned over these type of "rumors". Even if they have some basis in "fact". As I have said before, stuff that gets whispered down the lane tends take on a life of its own lacking context and can veer wildly from the actual truth.
  • Arbogast 777Arbogast 777 Minneapolis Posts: 595MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    I wouldn't get too concerned over these type of "rumors". Even if they have some basis in "fact".  As I have said before, stuff that gets whispered down the lane tends take on a life of its own lacking context and can veer wildly from the actual truth.

You can also say too that a rumor being reported now could very well be true, but could also change between now and filming. Look at how much scripts change from draft to draft. Wasn’t Blofeld in Spectre an African warlord at one point? If Hodges is writing the script right now, he could completely change the story between lunch and dinner...
    You can also say too that a rumor being reported now could very well be true, but could also change between now and filming. Look at how much scripts change from draft to draft. Wasn’t Blofeld in Spectre an African warlord at one point? If Hodges is writing the script right now, he could completely change the story between lunch and dinner...

Absolutely. Scripts get altered and re-written all the time.
    Recently reading "Bond on Bond" Roger Moore pointed out how changed pages
    are printed on differently coloured paper, so you could spot a rewrite from the
    normal white pages. He quipped that every Bond he'd done had none of the origional
    white pages left and were usually filled like a rainbow with many colour pages.
  • SomeoneSomeone Posts: 1,545MI6 Agent
    I don't understand why anyone would consider anything that came from that Reddit person. Like Logan but light hearted? No credibility.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    Someone wrote:
    I don't understand why anyone would consider anything that came from that Reddit person. Like Logan but light hearted? No credibility.

Finally, some common sense! It looks like everyone on Reddit has stopped taking this person seriously.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    The reason is simple: it's nearly everything we've got so far :#
    When it comes to actual credibility, our own Zaphod99, who actually spoke with Boyle the other day, is miles ahead. -{
    What Zaphod99 can tell us is more credible by far. It's also a confirmation of what we have already been discussing for a long time.The Reddit source gives us something new to talk about. Sad but true.
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    He seemed like a genuine chap, very down to Earth. He certainly seemed confident and very much looking forward to it. I came away feeling very positive.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,760MI6 Agent
    According to Variety, DC will command $25 million for Bond 25. No indication where they got that figure, but if true that’s fairly hefty, even taking everything into account.
    According to Variety, DC will command $25 million for Bond 25. No indication where they got that figure, but if true that’s fairly hefty, even taking everything into account.

Ok...since there isn't much else new to discuss I can run with this.

If true, probably not reflective of what kind of salary Craig commands in non-Bond roles. I am sure Craig is paid well in other films but probably more middle of the road when it comes to star salaries. For one more Bond it was worth it for EON to make the investment especially looking at the big picture and that Craig was pretty much a bargain by today's Hollywood standards for the first two Bond films.

Sometimes the salaries quoted are projections based on potential earnings that are tied in with the star having a percentage of the gross.

Even half of that figure is a big number but I have to wonder how much money the producers pull in on product placements in a Bond film?
  • Arbogast 777Arbogast 777 Minneapolis Posts: 595MI6 Agent
    That figure could also include endorsements from the likes of Omega and Land Rover. In other words his total earnings from the film, not necessarily how much Eon, etc, will pay him directly.
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    That figure could also include endorsements from the likes of Omega and Land Rover. In other words his total earnings from the film, not necessarily how much Eon, etc, will pay him directly.

I would guess that this does represent gross earnings including endorsements etc. It's about what an 'A lister' could expect I belive from a major movie. Still it's a load of money. I don't think Craig is anywhere near that outside of Bond, but neither were any of the other Bonds.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.