Craig is back: Discuss Bond 25 here

Comments

• JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    Someone wrote:

Oh my...that can’t be good :#
  • bonded123bonded123 Posts: 291MI6 Agent
    edited August 2018
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/why-james-bond-should-leave-daniel-craig-past-1136495
    Cast in 2005, Craig has held the role of James Bond longer than any other actor. His 13 years with the mantle edges out Moore’s 12. There’s simply a feeling, blame it on the buzz over Idris Elba being rumored to take over the role, or Craig’s agitated comments about returning for another, that most audiences are ready to see the actor move on. In the time since Craig became Bond to the present, we’ve seen two Supermen, two Batmen, three Spider-Men, new iterations of the crew of the starship Enterprise, and new Jedi. Even Hugh Jackman hung up his Wolverine claws. Every iconic property has its life cycle, and eventually needs revamping and fresh blood to get audiences involved again. In 2018, the prospect of a new Bond feels more exciting than seeing Craig return as 007 in 2019. That’s doubly true without Boyle.

Interesting point. The rest of the Hollywood franchises move on, Bond's still with Craig and his blunt, introspective take on the character. Perhaps 2020 - the start of the third decade of the 21st century - is the ideal time to reboot the franchise, new actor, new writers, new take on Bond.

I think Craig's comment about only returning for the money did him no favours. I'm sure some Bond fans would be more excited with a fifth Craig film had he not said that comment.
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    bonded123 wrote:
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/why-james-bond-should-leave-daniel-craig-past-1136495
    Cast in 2005, Craig has held the role of James Bond longer than any other actor. His 13 years with the mantle edges out Moore’s 12. There’s simply a feeling, blame it on the buzz over Idris Elba being rumored to take over the role, or Craig’s agitated comments about returning for another, that most audiences are ready to see the actor move on. In the time since Craig became Bond to the present, we’ve seen two Supermen, two Batmen, three Spider-Men, new iterations of the crew of the starship Enterprise, and new Jedi. Even Hugh Jackman hung up his Wolverine claws. Every iconic property has its life cycle, and eventually needs revamping and fresh blood to get audiences involved again. In 2018, the prospect of a new Bond feels more exciting than seeing Craig return as 007 in 2019. That’s doubly true without Boyle.

Interesting point. The rest of the Hollywood franchises move on, Bond's still with Craig and his blunt, introspective take on the character. Perhaps 2020 - the start of the third decade of the 21st century - is the ideal time to reboot the franchise, new actor, new writers, new take on Bond.

I think Craig's comment about only returning for the money did him no favours. I'm sure some Bond fans would be more excited with a fifth Craig film had he not said that comment.
    Not to mention Mission Impossible:Fallout with its older star who did more in camera stunts with a lot less complaining. Hopefully Craig knows to have a bit more decorum this time around, if they ever get around to making it that is.
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,759MI6 Agent
    That wrist slashing nonsense will be printed on Craig’s tombstone. And it remains one of many demons haunting Bond 25.
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    If Bond 25 kicks ass then it will all be forgotten
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    welshboy78 wrote:
    If Bond 25 kicks ass then it will all be forgotten

Agree completely. I don't think the general movie going public really care about the wrist cutting comments. If Bond 25 is good, butts will fill the seats.
  • Revolver66Revolver66 Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 470MI6 Agent
    This is all so discouraging and depressing. Will they ever get this film made? And will it be any good? Honestly I know it's easy for me to say but it seems like they haven't a clue at the moment. Surely there will be an inevitable delay now.
    Revolver66 wrote:
    This is all so discouraging and depressing. Will they ever get this film made? And will it be any good? Honestly I know it's easy for me to say but it seems like they haven't a clue at the moment. Surely there will be an inevitable delay now.

EON will hire another director (there is probably one on board already....we just don't know about it). I doubt this has anything to do with this notion that seems to permeate around here that EON are a bunch of bumbling fools who don't know what they are doing.
    Will there be a delay? It's possible, but I wouldn't jump to that conclusion just yet. The way EON has primarily functioned over the years is that Bond films were producer's films with directors brought on to work alongside EON's established production team. As long as they have a script, whether it is Hodge's or P&W's, EON is most likely capable of putting the core of that team back together along with a new director and moving forward. Who knows, maybe it will all be for the best.
  • YouknowthenameYouknowthename Carver Media GroupPosts: 500MI6 Agent
    Completely agree with HowardB. EON is in control, and if they felt Boyle had to leave then so be it. I wasn't very charmed with Boyle anyway, to be honest.
    According to UK tabloid, The Sun:
    Long before Boyle’s arrival, Craig had proved to be a fiery figure while playing 007. He clashed badly with director Sam Mendes while filming 2012’s Skyfall, later admitting the two had “butted heads quite a lot”.

They regularly shouted at each other over yet more “creative differences” and fell out badly on 2015’s follow-up, Spectre. By the time filming was complete, the pair’s friendship had totally disintegrated.Sources say Craig only agreed to return for Bond 25 after being assured Mendes would not direct it.

I guess Mendes won't be coming back to save Bond 25. :D If there is any truth to this, perhaps Daniel Craig was part of the reason Boyle walked? Who knows, perhaps they clashed and Boyle had enough. The Sun claims Craig has a lot of power:
    He previously admitted that any return for a fifth and final outing as suave 007 would “only be for the money”, but the huge payday has not persuaded him to quietly get on with the film and move on.

As one Bond “spy” put it: “It’s extraordinary how much power Daniel has on those films — way more than an actor in almost any other franchise. It’s as if he thinks he’s bigger than Bond.

“Barbara and Michael have made it totally clear that they would do almost anything to get Daniel back, even after he told the world he was sick of it, but that has given the impression he’s calling all the shots.”

I wouldn't believe everything that's reported in The Sun but there could be truth in Eon doing almost anything to get Craig back. If Barbara Broccoli can't think of a suitable replacement I guess she would give him more power over the production, more money, to lure him back. Who knows, perhaps his power has backfired and he alienated Boyle? All guesswork, of course.
    Others say the actor is prone to tantrums and has a temper when asserting his views on a production.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/7079083/daniel-craig-danny-boyle-clashes/?utm_source=TWITTER&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=SprnklrSUNOrganic&UTMX=Editorial:TheSun:TwLink,noimage:Question:ShowbizandTV
    HowardB wrote:
    Revolver66 wrote:

EON will hire another director (there is probably one on board already....we just don't know about it). I doubt this has anything to do with this notion that seems to permeate around here that EON are a bunch of bumbling fools who don't know what they are doing.
    Will there be a delay? It's possible, but I wouldn't jump to that conclusion just yet. The way EON has primarily functioned over the years is that Bond films were producer's films with directors brought on to work alongside EON's established production team. As long as they have a script, whether it is Hodge's or P&W's, EON is most likely capable of putting the core of that team back together along with a new director and moving forward. Who knows, maybe it will all be for the best.

I hope you're right Howard. I actually don't like to critisize EON either, but there has been a lot of drama in their Bond productions lately that it makes you wonder. Drama may be par for the course for these big size productions. But to me it does seem like they want it both ways in terms of directors.

They want pedigree, oscar winning auteur's to execute a technically superior and unique film, whilst also satisfying their own desire for corporate film making and tight control. It seems to me at the moment that they can't have both. I just don't think you can hire an A-grade director and then sack him or drive him to quit because he tries to execute his vision. That's the very reason why you would hire someone like that. If EON always want total control they need to just hire a no name yes man instead of a tempermental auteur like Boyle or even Mendes.

Though I could be completely wrong it is all speculation. I'm just feeling the burn at the mo :# :p
    Revolver66 wrote:
    I hope you're right Howard. I actually don't like to critisize EON either, but there has been a lot of drama in their Bond productions lately that it makes you wonder. Drama may be par for the course for these big size productions. But to me it does seem like they want it both ways in terms of directors.

They want pedigree, oscar winning auteur's to execute a technically superior and unique film, whilst also satisfying their own desire for corporate film making and tight control. It seems to me at the moment that they can't have both. I just don't think you can hire an A-grade director and then sack him or drive him to quit because he tries to execute his vision. That's the very reason why you would hire someone like that. If EON always want total control they need to just hire a no name yes man instead of a tempermental auteur like Boyle or even Mendes.

Though I could be completely wrong it is all speculation. I'm just feeling the burn at the mo 

There's always been drama but it just seems like more because in this age of the internet and social media we get to hear about it....whether it's true or not true. Back in the day, when Cubby ruled we never heard about all the rejected scripts, last minute rewrites, and how a director was chosen (at that times, Bond directors were just hired hands tasked with carrying out the producer's vision). Could you imagine what would have been blowing up on the internet when Brosnan had to pull out of TLD and Dalton brought in at the last minute? The AJB would have been like Dante's Inferno. :))
  • UnderwaterBattle007UnderwaterBattle007 Posts: 284MI6 Agent
    Or John Gavin who was actually hired to play Bond in "Diamonds Are Forever".....only to miss out as Connery agreed to reprise his role. What will be will be, I just hope after all the waiting when Bond 25 finally arrives it turns out to be a fantastic Bond film and worth all of the waiting.
    FRWl, CR, OHMSS, TSWLM, SF, GF, TLD, LTK, TND, FYEO, OP,TWINE, GE, LALD, TB, SPECTRE, DN, YOLT, TMWTGG, QOS, MR, DAF, DAD, AVTAK, NTTD.

"Do you expect me to talk? "No Mister Bond I expect you to die"
  • Arbogast 777Arbogast 777 Minneapolis Posts: 595MI6 Agent
    Variety: Bond 25 could miss it’s release date...

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/bond-25-release-date-danny-boyle-1202915388/
  • JET007JET007 Austin, TXPosts: 184MI6 Agent
    https://www.facebook.com/jamesbondradio/photos/a.1453042524932511/2264918447078244/?type=3&theater

Gareth Owen, Sir Roger's personal assistant, is advising to #KeepCalmAndBond25On
    @JaviTru on Twitter and @TheBondIsNotEnough on Instagram. Occasional contributor to thejamesbonddossier.com
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Well said that man -{ thankfully some of us haven't
    Started twisting our knickers. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    The Variety article is a lot of speculation based upon unnamed sources but Variety is generally reliable. It's interesting that Variety is reporting that the problem may have been with a final draft of the script....which begs the question of how far off the rails did Hodge and Boyle go from their original idea that initially impressed EON and Craig? As per the Variety story, EON is apparently also looking for a writer or writer/director. Apparently Yann Damange is now the favorite name to get Bond 25. IMO, Anthropoid director Sean Ellis might be an excellent choice also. Ellis is both a director, screenwriter and DP. He appears to be very talented, can write and really knows his way around a camera (he was the DP on Anthropoid...which was actually shot in 16mm but still looked great on the big screen; wonder what he would be capable of with a big budget?).
  • Arbogast 777Arbogast 777 Minneapolis Posts: 595MI6 Agent
    FFF360_DA-_B2_F4-429_D-_B3_E3-_B3_ABB6_C7164_E.jpg
    The Variety item doesn't sound too good. :( On the other hand, it doesn't mean total disaster. Tomorrow Never Dies had a very troubled pre-production and didn't begin filming until April 1997. The film was complete before its UK/US release in December.
    Wilson stated, "We didn't have a script that was ready to shoot on the first day of filming", while Pierce Brosnan said, "We had a script that was not functioning in certain areas." The Daily Mail reported on arguments between Spottiswoode and the producers with the former favouring the Dan Petrie script version but the latter reinstating Feirstein to rewrite it two weeks before filming was due to begin. They also said that Jonathan Pryce and Teri Hatcher were unhappy with their new roles, causing further re-scripting.

History appears to be repeating itself!

In theory, a new director, writer(s) could join the production, filming could begin in spring, shorten the shooting schedule and push the release back to December. Not ideal, but possible. Another scenario - assuming Craig stays on, move the release to Spring 2020.

If Eon are going to start again with a new screenplay - well, it's a total balls-up! :)) Almost four years of time wasted on screenplays that amounted to nothing. 8-) Perhaps it's time for some new blood to join Eon? Barbara and Michael may be tired, losing their grip on things. I suppose they could sell their share of the franchise to a studio like Warner or Universal but who knows if that would turn out for the best.
    HowardB wrote:
    Revolver66 wrote:

Though I could be completely wrong it is all speculation. I'm just feeling the burn at the mo 

There's always been drama but it just seems like more because in this age of the internet and social media we get to hear about it....whether it's true or not true. Back in the day, when Cubby ruled we never heard about all the rejected scripts, last minute rewrites, and how a director was chosen (at that times, Bond directors were just hired hands tasked with carrying out the producer's vision). Could you imagine what would have been blowing up on the internet when Brosnan had to pull out of TLD and Dalton brought in at the last minute? The AJB would have been like Dante's Inferno. :))

Was Brosnan officially announced before he pulled out?
  • SolarisSolaris Blackpool, UKPosts: 308MI6 Agent
    Revolver66 wrote:
    HowardB wrote:
    Revolver66 wrote:

According to Brozzers himself in the EON documentary he found out Remington Steele was being renewed and therefore he couldn't be Bond in TLD moments before being announced.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Revolver66 wrote:
    HowardB wrote:
    Revolver66 wrote:

Brosnan didn't pull out. He was pulled out by an old contract.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    Well if this is correct it's major news. The Hollywood Reporter is running with
    James Bond 25 to Miss November 2019 Release Date
    With the abrupt exit of director Danny Boyle, the next installment in the James Bond film franchise — the untitled Bond 25 — will miss its Nov. 8, 2019, release date in North American theaters, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/james-bond-25-miss-november-2019-release-date-1137104

If this is correct then the P and W screenplay has been scrapped. Eon are going with an all new screenplay and that must mean all the current pre-production work will be scrapped too or put on hold?

A 2020 release date could lead to recasting the role? A five year gap is long enough to shake up the franchise, recast the role? I reckon so. I think the worldwide audience would be less interested in Craig coming back. Craig could be paid some undisclosed amount as a goodbye gesture. A golden handshake deal.
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    bonded123 wrote:
    If this is correct then the P and W screenplay has been scrapped. Eon are going with an all new screenplay and that must mean all the current pre-production work will be scrapped too or put on hold?

I don’t see why an apparently delay would make any of this true?
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    What a load of crap I’m reading. Seriously. People think the roof is on fire but in reality, someone just sneezed.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    The first four Bond films were produced hardly more than a year apart from one another. Then the schedule essentially became every two years.

Today's Bond films take years -- up to four -- to finally materialize, and though they spend huge sums of money, often seem underwhelming when compared to the classics. There is bumbling going on behind the scenes, but no one is any real hurry because they've made so much money and there are so many more revenue streams, they're comfortable with the shenanigans.
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    As many people have said here. And it’s true. To EON, Bond is just a cash cow now. Nothing more , nothing less. But saying that. The one person still of sound mind and body that is leading this, knows what the character is, and what he should stay as. It’s not ‘everything or nothing’ anymore. More like ‘Most, for everything we can gain’.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    The claim is there is to be a new script. Purvis and Wade's screenplay is not to be used. Hodge's screenplay not to be used. If the new script isn't written and approved before December, there will be a delay. Well, I suppose they could make Bond 25 without a finished screenplay but that seems a bad way to make a Bond film.
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,759MI6 Agent
    edited August 2018
    Asp9mm wrote:
    But saying that. The one person still of sound mind and body that is leading this, knows what the character is, and what he should stay as.
    At least one person involved still gets it.

And if the tabs are to be believed, that person is Craig. :))
    Solaris wrote:
    Revolver66 wrote:
    HowardB wrote:

According to Brozzers himself in the EON documentary he found out Remington Steele was being renewed and therefore he couldn't be Bond in TLD moments before being announced.

That's right. TBH I don't think that situation is comparable with this.