Craig is back: Discuss Bond 25 here

Comments

• HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    edited October 2018
    Someone wrote:
    Matt S wrote:
    Gymkata wrote:
    I bought a new Omega over the weekend from a local jeweler who was doing a watch event in his store. There was an actual Omega representative there and we got to talking about Bond. Per his information, Craig is doing two more films, not one. He was adamant about this, talking about the deals that were in place with him, EON, and Omega. I thought he was only doing one more.

Anyone else heard anything to confirm that he's doing two more?

There has long been a rumour that he is filming two back-to-back this time around.

I use to believe this and had all sorts of theories as to how that could happen and when and why there were so many strange goings on with Bond25 and now I believe that it's all been screw-up not conspiracy (for example the EON Blake Lively spy movie six month hiatus due to financial problems) and that instead we have been witnessing a rolling sh*t-show of unprecedented (for the Bond franchise) disasters and all we're going to get is one film after four years and four effing months.

Your salesman is talking rubbish.

Wow, even the King/Queen of theories thinks that it's rubbish........and it probably is. :))
    That being said, other than waiting for Craig, other projects, and Boyle hitting the bricks I'm not quite sure where EON has screwed up (those three would be enough depending on how you look at things). Just an aside/observation, the MI films, (except for the last one, which was 3 years) have as long if not longer gaps between films than Bond (4 yrs; 6 yrs; 5 yrs; 4 yrs). Just sayin'.
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    With shooting starting in March 2019 and a release date in February 2020, there doesn't seem to be enough time to film two movies and do post production on one in eleven months.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    Why would EON film Bond25 & 26 back-to-back and keep it a secret? There are reasons to film two movies at once if many of the cast and locations are the same, but I can't think of a single reason to keep it a secret. Are there any examples in movie history of that happening?
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    I told you ages ago they planned to film back to back if Craig returned. It’s not just rumour but absolutely true. However, with all the latest shenanigans, I’m not sure if that still stands.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    Yes. No offence, but you're not an official source. Why would they keep it secret?
  • SomeoneSomeone Posts: 1,544MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:
    I told you ages ago they planned to film back to back if Craig returned. It’s not just rumour but absolutely true. However, with all the latest shenanigans, I’m not sure if that still stands.

I thought the evidence pointed to this. But, they don't know what they're doing.

I think there's lots of marketing plusses in springing on the world a back-to-back situation, what a way for DC to leave the franchise. Sadly, I don't see any plan, I see a star that doesn't know what he wants (and he's now a co-producer), a distributor/owner plagued by management problems, a franchise owner whose leaders have their focus elsewhere. Everything flows from those, no international distributor (co-funder) for years, director selection problems and God knows what the script is, Purvis & Wade's? Hodge's? A combination? Fukunaga's?
    Number24 wrote:
    Yes. No offence, but you're not an official source. Why would they keep it secret?

They keep everything secret. That’s why no one knows anything.

Revealing a two part story or back to back recording in advance gains them nothing though. People finding out upon viewing has excellent marketing and viewer boosting capabilities. It creates chatter free advertising and press that would be lost otherwise.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Someone wrote:
    Asp9mm wrote:

I thought the evidence pointed to this. But, they don't know what they're doing.

I think there's lots of marketing plusses in springing on the world a back-to-back situation, what a way for DC to leave the franchise. Sadly, I don't see any plan, I see a star that doesn't know what he wants (and he's now a co-producer), a distributor/owner plagued by management problems, a franchise owner whose leaders have their focus elsewhere. Everything flows from those, no international distributor (co-funder) for years, director selection problems and God knows what the script is, Purvis & Wade's? Hodge's? A combination? Fukunaga's?

James Bond has been a successful film franchise for decades longer than you have been a fan. You're making judgements and assumptions on things you either don't know or ordinary things you are blowing out of proportion. There have always been problems in making Bond films, yet they still move on and make great films. I have been a huge Bond fan for over two decades and remember a time when we had to get our Bond news from places other than the internet and didn't expect to know everything that was going on. Many people here have been Bond fans much longer and saw some of the problems that the series had to face. This is nothing new and things will go on as they will.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,322Chief of Staff
    Speaking as a 50 year+ Bond fan, I agree. We knew very little back in the day- of course, the gaps between films were much shorter leaving less time for speculation.
  • Arbogast 777Arbogast 777 Minneapolis Posts: 595MI6 Agent
    Well put, Matt {[]
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

Revealing a two part story or back to back recording in advance gains them nothing though. People finding out upon viewing has excellent marketing and viewer boosting capabilities. It creates chatter free advertising and press that would be lost otherwise.

I'd be very happy if you're right, but I very much doubt you are.
  • CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,450MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    Many people here have been Bond fans much longer and saw some of the problems that the series had to face. This is nothing new and things will go on as they will.

Thank you, Matt! My first Bond film seen in the cinema was TSWLM when I was twelve. The series has survived and will survive because James Bond is one of the most iconic fictional characters of all time.
    Someone's theories and positions that EON are a bunch of feckless boobs who couldn't walk off a bridge into a river if they were pushed is a bit misguided to say the least. I couldn't sum it up better than Matt S. But I can understand the frustration. Whether or not back to back films are even possible at this point (it might not be as difficult as it may seem) but I would be thrilled with one good film come February 2020. As much as I like Boyle, he may have done Bond fans the biggest favor by walking away and opening up the opportunity for Fukunaga to take over as director. I'm guessing the final script will be Hodge's rewrite of P&W's script based upon Boyle's "idea" with a polish by Fukunaga......which sounds a little crazy, but if you know the history of Bond scripts(and scripts in general) is not uncommon.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    If there's one thing I've learnt in the Modern Era - and on AJB, perhaps especially - it's that nothing is real until Eon makes it official. Things happen, things are overheard, or misinterpreted, or both...and the next thing you know, the fat lady is singing that Tom Hiddleston is Bond :))

One crisis at a time. At least we have a director, and (sadly) P&W in the mix...granted, I'm not checking in hourly anymore.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    Number24 wrote:
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

I was, but I don’t think this is happening now. Everyone I know involved in production is either keeping unusually quiet or are working on the new Kingsman film since being dropped after years of service when Boyle took over.
    I don't let my fandom get in the way of a sober assessment of what is happening.

On a more positive note, I like what Fukunaga has to say in this article:
    https://www.indiewire.com/2018/10/cary-fukunaga-james-bond-indiewire-honor-1202014803/

"I think the exciting part actually is going to the original source."

Does this mean a more accurate Fleming take on Bond, or material not yet used such as the Garden of Death, or is it a more general inspirational take away from reading Fleming?
    The whole sentence is: “Over the years, you’ve seen a lot of different iterations not only of Bond, but of films that have mimicked it or copied it,” he said. “So I think the exciting part actually is going to the original source, and being able to play in a sandbox.”
    So his statement can also mean that James Bond is the origional source of action/adventure spy movies, so doing Bond26 is going to the source.
    From what I have read regarding Fukunaga, beyond being an obviously talented film maker, he appears to have the ability/temperament to collaborate and work well with others, a trait that would make him a good fit for a Bond film.
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    Someone wrote:
    I don't let my fandom get in the way of a sober assessment of what is happening.

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/10/cary-fukunaga-james-bond-indiewire-honor-1202014803/

Does this mean a more accurate Fleming take on Bond, or material not yet used such as the Garden of Death, or is it a more general inspirational take away from reading Fleming?

I wouldn't get too excited. Bond actors, directors, producers, etc. are always talking about getting closer to the source material.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Gala Brand wrote:
    Someone wrote:

I wouldn't get too excited. Bond actors, directors, producers, etc. are always talking about getting closer to the source material.

He's not talking about getting closer to Fleming. The "original source" that Fukunaga is talking about is the Bond series, in comparison to the "films that have mimicked it or copied it".
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,759MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    Asp9mm wrote:

I was, but I don’t think this is happening now. Everyone I know involved in production is either keeping unusually quiet or are working on the new Kingsman film since being dropped after years of service when Boyle took over.

I believe you because there were independent signs pointing to this. But the Boyle firing and (presumed) re-write that followed has probably caused this to revert to the usual scenario. Which is fine. I’m not sure we need another Craig Bond film, let alone two. But he has proved me wrong before.
    Craig wants to make a FRWL-style Bond film, so perhaps Fukunaga’s quote is corroboration of that concept. That film also stayed fairly consistent with the novel, so I think the quote could mean both closer adherence to Fleming and fidelity to the original Bond films. But I think it’s meant in a stylistic, not a literal sense. I don’t expect (or want) to see a remake of a past film or Fleming novel.
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Craig wants to make a FRWL-style Bond film, so perhaps Fukunaga’s quote is corroboration of that concept. That film also stayed fairly consistent with the novel, so I think the quote could mean both closer adherence to Fleming and fidelity to the original Bond films. But I think it’s meant in a stylistic, not a literal sense. I don’t expect (or want) to see a remake of a past film or Fleming novel.

Neither do I. But a Netflix in period Flemingeque Moonraker in period...
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.

This is the only reference I can find to DC wanting a FRWL style film and it does not cite a source, so I'd be wary of believing it.
    https://www.indiewire.com/2018/09/daniel-craig-bond-25-finale-cary-fukunaga-1202005592/

OK, I accept Fukunaga's source comments are not what I thought. Disappointing. I did think that the casting call for Russians, the only concrete evidence we have so far for Bond25, was an indicator of what we'll get, but as Boyle's idea seems to have been a new Cold War angle and he has gone, the Russian villains could also be gone.

While the March Canada filming claim by a long time Bond crew member also seems credible, there's been snow scenes in lots of Bond films, e.g. SPECTRE. The Canada filming could be for the PTS and bear no relation to the plot.

FYI DC's film Knives Out started filming on Tuesday.
    https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/1039016/James-Bond-Daniel-Craig-new-movie-Knives-Out-Rian-Johnson-Star-Wars-The-Last-Jedi
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,944MI6 Agent
    Someone wrote:
    ...While the March Canada filming claim by a long time Bond crew member also seems credible, there's been snow scenes in lots of Bond films, e.g. SPECTRE. The Canada filming could be for the PTS and bear no relation to the plot...
    I must point out that Canada contains many, er, several, landscapes that are not covered in snow. So it doesn't have to be a ski-scene, or doubling for Russia.

Seems like half of all American movies or teevee shows are now filmed in either Vancouver or Toronto, though almost always disguised so as not to confuse U.S. viewers with the lack of igloos.

The first five seasons of the X-Files were filmed entirely in Vancouver, or within one hour's drive. Vancouver doubled for just about every part of the Unites States in that show.

In fact, maybe the next James Bond film is going to contain temperate coniferous rainforest content? that'd be something new. or maybe Bond is going to visit a dispensary and hang out at Wreck Beach?
    The source for the Canada story is an expert in filming ski and snow scenes. He also said he wasn't sure he wanted to work in a snow desert again, so I think we can assume the scenes in Canada will be winter scenes this time.
    Number24 wrote:
    The source for the Canada story is an expert in filming ski and snow scenes. He also said he wasn't sure he wanted to work in a snow desert again, so I think we can assume the scenes in Canada will be winter scenes this time.

Yes, that's what I was referring too. I'll be more specific in future. ;-)
  • LicencetochatLicencetochat Posts: 71MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:

So, there's a chance we'll see Craig skiing this time?
    I hope so, or perhaps a snowmobile chase. But I seem to remember someone saying Craig isn't keen on skiing and that was the reason behind the car/plane chase in SPECTRE.
    Number24 wrote:
    I hope so, or perhaps a snowmobile chase. But I seem to remember someone saying Craig isn't keen on skiing and that was the reason behind the car/plane chase in SPECTRE.

There are more things to do in the snow than snow mobile and ski chases. Bond in an extreme environment, climbing or engaged in some kind of survival activity could be much more compelling.