Sanders & Sanders: Snuff or Chocolate?

Comments

• DUBL_OHDUBL_OH Posts: 88MI6 Agent
    @ welshboy79 Nice find! The only thing i don't care for in that alternative is the light colored sole, but looks to be a good alternative.

@The Mantis good to hear about the snuff suede color. I believe even Mason and Sons were prompting the snuff ones as the McQueen color and chocolate as the Spectre color.
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    DUBL_OH wrote:
    @ welshboy79 Nice find! The only thing i don't care for in that alternative is the light colored sole, but looks to be a good alternative.

The original Huttons appear to have come in light and dark soles.

Found some nice pics of the originals - will upload
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    Original Playboy Hutton Chukkas (light sole version, came in dark also like McQueens Bullitt Version):

PfDUCha.jpg

aMMZdiI.jpg

Bullitt VS Playboy Reissues (looks like they have got the colour quite close to McQueens):

o1YHRe9.jpg

Sanders Vs Playboy Reissue Vs Original Playboys by Hutton (note sanders don't have back section stitching):

iGop8gS.jpg

Playboy Reissue In Brown:

IMG_8741.jpg

Original Hutton Playboys Ad:

Wz7Qr3O.png
  • Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,091MI6 Agent
    The Original Playboys look to have the dark edging surrounding white soles.

I tried to get more information about the Herring version, but customer service was unable to provide any concrete details about how the sole is attached or about the fit of the Joel last.
    edited November 2017
    The Original Playboys look to have the dark edging surrounding white soles.

I think they came in diff combos:

Dark edging with dark soles (see Bullitt pic above). There is also a pic of him with his feet on the desk

Lighter edging with white soles (as per the top pic)

The Herrings are not rebadged for them by Sanders by any chance??? Strange as surely they would know how they made?
    I see somebody on Instagram mentioning they are ripping off Sanders, hence they replied back...

andersprip, aren't you stealing some McQueen magic. I believe it was Sanders&Sanders the King of Cool wore

playboyshoes Dear @andersprip
    Actually, it's the other way around. Other, similarly looking crepe sole chukkas
    are often mistaken with The Original Playboy chukkas worn by, among others, Steve McQueen in the 60's and 70's. The Original Playboy shoes/chukkas were manufactured by Hutton of Northampton from 1936 based on a unique, patented design which includes a very distinctive leather piping that more or less all similar looking models don't have. Hutton unfortunately discontinued their business in the early 70's, and the design patent and trademark rights were later bought by our company. Another important difference from other similar looking models is the construction of the characteristic crepe sole. The Original Playboy shoes are based on the classic Goodyear Welt technique where all layers are sewn together by hand making the shoes more flexible. Unlike many similar looking models today that are just glued together, or cemented as it's called. It's not the first time there is confusion about which brand has the original model of the Playboy shoes. The problem was known already back in the 50s, where Hutton back then published an add saying: 'There can be only one Playboy. No other shoes possess the same unique features.' That's also the reason why the words 'The Original' was added to the Playboy name, to clearly signal that this is the real thing. Hope this clarifies the confusion for you. If you are interested, you can read more about the original Playboy shoes legendary story on our website:
    playboy-footwear.com
  • DB6DB6 EnglandPosts: 1,196MI6 Agent
    I like the fact the ‘original’ are Goodyear welted, much better investment.
    My name has changed! I’m no longer dufus......now I’m DB6
    Dufus wrote:

Ive ordered a pair so will be intrigued to see how they are!
  • Enjoying DeathEnjoying Death Toronto, ON CANADAPosts: 1,231MI6 Agent
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Dufus wrote:

When you get them can you comment on the fit? I'm debating getting a pair but don't want to go thru the hassle getting them here to Canada and paying all the customs/duty fees to find out they run small or big. -{
    Pussy Galore: “My name is Pussy Galore.”
    Bond: “I must be dreaming.”
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    I have been looking where to order these...is there a separate site?
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Dufus wrote:

edited November 2017
    The Mantis wrote:
    I have been looking where to order these...is there a separate site?
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Dufus wrote:

Mantis

Try https://www.lesterstore.com/our-brands/playboy

Can provide a few others if need be but all seem same price

Believe they cannot sell direct in UK / US etc because of:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSms3RAzVLnaa-_E7bpvMjf8sBMRxz4K1pY-hwqgcBkGjw4iRQeKg
    edited November 2017
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Dufus wrote:

When you get them can you comment on the fit? I'm debating getting a pair but don't want to go thru the hassle getting them here to Canada and paying all the customs/duty fees to find out they run small or big. -{

Will do!!! Im also concerned about size

I went for EU 46 in these as im a UK 11 - they look very nice!!!

13734335_172080719881776_994508399_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTMxNDM3Mzc2NDAwMzYyMjU3MQ%3D%3D.2

IMG_6448.jpg

Bullitt+Boots.jpg

mcqueen_desert-boots2.jpg
    welshboy78 wrote:
    welshboy78 wrote:

Will do!!! Im also concerned about size

I went for EU 46 in these as im a UK 11 - they look very nice!!!

13734335_172080719881776_994508399_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTMxNDM3Mzc2NDAwMzYyMjU3MQ%3D%3D.2

IMG_6448.jpg

Bullitt+Boots.jpg

mcqueen_desert-boots2.jpg

My buddy Steve there is wearing them in Cognac colour I presume?

My buddy Steve there is wearing them in Cognac colour I presume?

They kinda look close don't they?
  • MikeG77MikeG77 Posts: 1,771MI6 Agent
    The Mantis wrote:
    Gents, the ones used in the movie were Snuff, not chocolate....just would hate for someone to want SA and come away with the wrong ones...

Just to clarify you're saying that color DC wore is Spectre was Snuff?

Thanks,

Mike
    I know where you keep your gun!
    MikeG77 wrote:
    The Mantis wrote:
    Gents, the ones used in the movie were Snuff, not chocolate....just would hate for someone to want SA and come away with the wrong ones...

Thanks,

Mike

Yup
  • MikeG77MikeG77 Posts: 1,771MI6 Agent
    welshboy78 wrote:
    MikeG77 wrote:
    The Mantis wrote:

Thanks,

Mike

Yup

I appreciate the clarification.

Thanks,

Mike
    I know where you keep your gun!
    Welshie...mucho thanks...what style and color did you get in the playboys...
    Ive gone for the Cognac boot.

Just read on another forum they run big so doing some more research on sizing
    Ahhhh, good to know.....will wait to order then...I was going to go for a 9 but will wait....
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Ive gone for the Cognac boot.

Just read on another forum they run big so doing some more research on sizing
    Here is more info from other forums regarding the Playboys. Explains background and also to be cautious on sizing:

PM
    Re: Hutton Desert boots
    Hi, I'm new to the forum and just wanted to comment on a few questions that some have mentioned on this thread as to why Hutton's did not revive the Original Playboy shoes and chukka boots first instead of the desert boots.

I'm not sure if some of you know this, but when Hutton of Northampton originally designed the Playboy's they patented the design and construction as well as registered and trademarked the name Playboy here in the UK.

Before Hutton's closed down they sold the design patents and trademarks of the Original Playboy to a Swedish company, who inturn sold them on to John Fabian Trading ApS in Denmark, now also trading as Playboy Footwear.

Because the design patents and registered trademarks are now owned by John Fabian Trading ApS, there is no way Hutton's can produce the Playboy Original shoes or chukka boots, whether themselves or contracted out to another shoe manufacturer.

The only way Hutton's could put their name on the Playboy Footwear is by licensing the product from Playboy Footwear/John Fabian Trading ApS, which I unfortunately doubt Charlotte Fabian current owner would agree to.

Playboy Footwear have been making the chukka boots for years since they acquired the patents and rights, as I recently purchased a pair from Lester Store in Sweden, the very same pair that's in my avatar! You can also view the chukka boots on the Playboy Footwear website (http://www.playboy-footwear.com/shoe.php?style=58).

Last year for the 80th anniversary, Playboy Footwear re-developed the sole of both the shoe and the chukka boots to be more like the original 60's version, so they weren't so chunky, and they now look a lot better, as you can see from the image below.

The main problem is in the construction of the Goodyear welt with the way it attaches to the crepe sole which has been patented, that's why none of the other companies make their versions with a Goodyear welted sole.

If I was the owners of Hutton, and I'm obviously not, using their current business plan to use an off the peg desert boot made by an Italian company, I would do exactly the same with the Playboy chukka boots, and buy them from Fabian and license the Playboy name, that way they could call them Hutton Playboy. The bonus to dealing with Fabian, is they actually get to use the very same original boots, in the same construction and design as originally developed by Hutton in the first place.

I have both the Sanders Hi Top chukka boots in Snuff suede, as well as my new Playboy Original chukka boots in cognac suede, I prefer the Playboy Originals better as I find the toes on the Sanders Hi Top too pointed, I prefer the rounder front of the Playboy much more. They are both exceptionally made, and I have many pairs of English made shoes and boots.

From a diff poster....

I received the Playboys from The Lester Store located in Sweden. I like them a lot. They weighed in at nearly 1.75 pounds per shoe, but that doesn't bother me. They look and feel like a solid shoe. The crepe sole reminds me of the crepe soles on the playboys from the late 1960's and early 1970's. The cream colored bottom also reminds me of the ones that my friends use to wear. The thick crepe outer sole doesn't bother me at all. As you can see from the photos the color is a matte black with not much of a shine.

The only thing that I'm not happy about is the fact that they are at least 1/2 size too big, maybe a little bit more. To send them back to Sweden for an exchange is too costly. The shoes cost $15 to ship fedex economy to the USA, but Fedex quoted me approximately $170. to ship them back. The USPS is less, but still about $100. So I'll just suck it up and wear them with an extra pair of socks. I wear a US size 12. The Lester Store suggested a UK size 11, but they are too big. I'm not mad because the UK to US shoe size conversion isn't an exact science. Next time I will order a UK 10.5. I don't plan on wearing them until the fall, so I will be putting them on ice for the summer. Below are a few pics. They're not the best pics

-Mack
    Hmmmm, they reference half sizes but I don't see half sizes on the site...
    The Mantis wrote:
    Hmmmm, they reference half sizes but I don't see half sizes on the site...

Yeah I think that poster was simply presuming they did offer half sizes
  • CajunCajun Posts: 483MI6 Agent
    Great info and pics, gents. Nice to know there are some decent options for this boot style.
    I edit, therefore I am.
    Turns out the Herring Mustang boots are rebranded Sanders.

I look forward to the report on the fit and durability of the Original Playboy. Its Goodyear welted boots are basically the same price as the cemented version by Sanders and Sanders.
    Turns out the Herring Mustang boots are rebranded Sanders.

I look forward to the report on the fit and durability of the Original Playboy. Its Goodyear welted boots are basically the same price as the cemented version by Sanders and Sanders.

Thanks for confirming - had a feeling that was the case!!!!

Ive asked to delay shipment on my Playboys until I find out more about sizing (hope they have not already shipped)
  • BrackleyBondBrackleyBond Oundle, NorthamptonshirePosts: 87MI6 Agent
    The Mantis wrote:

Thanks Mantis,

The Original reason for me starting this thread was due to a promotional email from Mason & Sons regarding the Sanders, as DUBL_OH states later on, Mason & Sons did specify that that McQueen used the Snuff, where as Craig in Spectre used Chocolate.

Rewatching your vlog on the subject it's interesting that they provided you with the Snuff!
  • DUBL_OHDUBL_OH Posts: 88MI6 Agent
    I was torn between getting the Herring Mustang chukkas and the Sanders and Sanders chukkas in Snuff as I liked the look of those best. For virtually the same price, I am glad I chose the Sanders and Sanders since they are correct to Spectre. I wonder if the color difference is enough to justify getting the Playboy Footwear as well.
    I gambled and ordered a pair of the Playboy Chukka in Cognac in size US 12. I will report back on fit when I get them. -{
    I gambled and ordered a pair of the Playboy Chukka in Cognac in size US 12. I will report back on fit when I get them. -{

I look forward to it since that is my size. Did you get the EU45 or EU46?