Coronavirus

Comments

• Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    Starting on Saturday, my county (San Mateo) here in California is requiring all residents to wear a face covering when going out in public. Not that theres many places open, but when you do, cover your nose and mouth with something.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Coronavirus: 38 days when Britain sleepwalked into disaster
    Boris Johnson skipped five Cobra meetings on the virus, calls to order protective gear were ignored and scientists’ warnings fell on deaf ears. Failings in February may have cost thousands of lives

The Sunday Times report demonstrates Boris Johnson’s failure to take Covid-19 seriously until the end of February, and points out that when China first alerted the World Health Organisation about an unusual spike in cases of pneumonia in Wuhan at the end of December the prime minister was sunning himself on a private island in the Caribbean.

At that time scientists in the UK were already raising the alarm about China’s failure to reveal the full picture about the disease.

The first meeting on the virus was held in the middle of January, where scientists warned policy-makers that the virus had an unusually high infectivity rate, and that a lockdown would be needed to prevent transmission across the UK.

But the government dismissed the suggestion, and health secretary Matt Hancock told reporters on January 24th that the risk to the UK public was “low”.

The report reveals how Johnson went on to miss four further Cobra meetings on the virus and, as Britain grappled with floods, Johnson focused on Brexit day and sacking ministers in a cabinet reshuffle, before retreating to Chevening for two weeks with his pregnant fiancée, Carrie Symonds.

Source:

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/sunday-times-report-on-coronavirus-1-6613560

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/coronavirus-38-days-when-britain-sleepwalked-into-disaster-hq3b9tlgh
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,333Chief of Staff
    Higgins wrote:
    The Sunday Times report demonstrates Boris Johnson’s failure to take Covid-19 seriously until the end of February,

It's not finding the words "Boris Johnson" and "failure" in the same sentence that surprises me; it's that the Sunday Times is the source. What next, the Mail or Express admitting that not everything the Tories do is perfect?
    I know, it‘s earth shattering, isn‘t it?

I am still surprised hearing people claiming that the UK where well prepared.

I‘ve read something interesting about herd immunity.
    Germany has a population of 82 million, if you want to reach herd immunity with a 50% ( in reality it‘s higher) infection rate over 18 month, you are facing a number of new daily infections of 75000 people- in average, not keeping in mind that the infection rate is not constant but exponential.

That should be impressive enough to keep hands off from that dangerous experiment.

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,797MI6 Agent
    Anders Tegnell, the scientist who retty much runs Sweden's controversial Corona strategy, thinks the country will achieve herd immunity in May. At least he thinks it'll happen in Stockholm where a lot of the Corona cases have been. We'll see. If that happens Tegnell will probably be seen as a genius. If Sweden's relativey high numbers of Corona dead continues or even increases for months he'll probably be seen as an idiot.
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    Today I donated £500 to the NHS out of my own pocket. Just want to help the best I can
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Just to clearify: I don't think this is the end of handshakes. But I think it will feel strange when we finally feel it's safe to shake hands again. Many of us will probably hesitate or do a "double take" with our hands. :))

I look at stuff on the TV and see people hugging or kissing and I shout 'keep your distance!' ... I think it will take a long time for that be 'normal' again.
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Jarvio wrote:
    Today I donated £500 to the NHS out of my own pocket. Just want to help the best I can

Good for you.

For some of us, that's the only way we can help (apart from staying doors and keeping out of the way).

I think that is why someone like Captain Tom has been so successful. People needed a focus.
    Lady Rose wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    Just to clearify: I don't think this is the end of handshakes. But I think it will feel strange when we finally feel it's safe to shake hands again. Many of us will probably hesitate or do a "double take" with our hands. :))

I look at stuff on the TV and see people hugging or kissing and I shout 'keep your distance!' ... I think it will take a long time for that be 'normal' again.

There'll be brief, but strange and confusing week before most of us return to normal again.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,333Chief of Staff
    Jarvio wrote:

Well done, Jarvio!
    So, german airlines have presented a paper about measures to cope with Corona in the near future.

The package comprises a health questionnaire, temperature checks at several, points of the trip, distancing when checking in, better signs on the floors, staggered checkin, mandatory masks at checkin, transfer, entering/ leaving the plane and during the flight.

Leaving middle seats empty was not part of the suggestions 8-)

• ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    China have now revised the Wuhan death toll due to Covid19 UP by approx 50%. I still think they are not telling the whole truth.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    Lady Rose wrote:
    Good for you.

For some of us, that's the only way we can help (apart from staying doors and keeping out of the way).

I think that is why someone like Captain Tom has been so successful. People needed a focus.
    Barbel wrote:

Well done, Jarvio!

Thanks, just wanted to do my part. Yeah I'm off work at the moment, so wanted to help in some way.
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
    Number of Corona dead in Sweden the last 24 hours: 185
    Number of Corona dead in total in Norway: 182.
    Adjusted for the size of the populations Sweden's total number should be around 360 when compared to Norway, but instead it's 1765.
    Maybe it's time the Swedes questioned the official strategy?
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,224MI6 Agent
    Confirmed in a telephone call with President Duterte, President Trump has donated a further 269m php on top of the 204m php donated on 1st March to aid the fight against Coronavirus. Plaudits to the POTUS for his continuing support of the Philippines.
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
    Good.

I'm looking at some numbers showing how many Corona dead some countries have by every 100 000 citizens. Of course countries are in different phases of the epidemic. It also makes sense that the number is larger in smaller, urban countries like Belgium or the Netherlands compared to huge countries with large populations like China and Russia.

USA 14.0
    France 31.4
    Italy 41.5
    Germany 6.3
    UK 26.5
    Ireland 15.6
    Iran 6.4
    China 0.3
    Russia 0.4
    Belgium 56.0
    Netherlands 23.3
    Canada 5.5
    Sweden 20.0
    South Korea 0.5
    Norway 3.5
    Phillipines 0.4
    Australia 0.3
    Let‘s keep in mind that countries like Italy and France are far ahead in the curve while the US and Russia etc. are relatively behind.

So as interesting those numbers may be, the true pic will come out after wave 2 and 3 have been overcome.

Mrs. Merkel emphasized today, that it‘s an illusion that this is on the path of being over.
    We are still in the stage of the beginning.

True, countries like Italy and Russia aren'treally compareable yet. What we can do, I think, is to compare countries that are Close.
    The differences between Belgium and Germany are interesting. So is the UK and Ireland,or Norway and Sweden.
    As said many times, so far we went well in Germany.
    But this is not over yet.

I see with horror and disgust the crowded shopping centers in Hamburg (via tv) and wonder what is in people‘s minds about this kind of „family trips“.

I‘d not be surprised if we see a spike of all numbers after 3 weeks because of that lack of discipline and responsibility......

It's a marathon, not a sprint.
    Touching interview on CNN with Alicia Keys (from her laundry room because the WiFi is best there) right now about Corona, the daily heroes and the time when this is all over.

• 00730073 COPPosts: 1,024MI6 Agent
    "I mean, she almost kills bond...with her ass."
    -Mr Arlington Beech
    The world needed a smart and stable genius to come up with that revolutionary idea.
    When I read this yesterday, I had the line in mind which ends with „where the the sun don‘t shine“ :D

Number24 wrote:
    Anders Tegnell, the scientist who retty much runs Sweden's controversial Corona strategy, thinks the country will achieve herd immunity in May. At least he thinks it'll happen in Stockholm where a lot of the Corona cases have been. We'll see. If that happens Tegnell will probably be seen as a genius. If Sweden's relativey high numbers of Corona dead continues or even increases for months he'll probably be seen as an idiot.

I don't know how many of you read or understand Swedish, I sure as hell don't understand Sweden, but here we go: Osäkra slutsatser av nya antikroppstestet https://www.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/nya-antikroppstestet-baserat-pa-osakert-underlag

What this means basically is, that they miscalculated their numbers in the simulation and got weird results.
    -Mr Arlington Beech
    I think, that I have a revolutionary idea how to treat Corona:

The virus is killed at temps over 60 degrees celsius.
    So, how about we are heating infected bodies up from the inside - only for a minute - only for a short time.
    That should kill the virus and we can open up our economy.

Higgins wrote:

So, how about we are heating infected bodies up from the inside - only for a minute - only for a short time.

Sauna! Not the German-kind!! :D
    -Mr Arlington Beech
    The mayor of Las Vegas offers up the citizens of the city to be a control group to check if social distancing works against Corona. I guess the theory that social distanicing works is new and hasn't been tried yet. (Hint: the word "quarantine" is from the Black Death.)
    Offering the citizens of as guinea pigs is really brave of her. I'm sure the elderly and poor with no health insurance are really happy about her idea. :#

Video: https://www.dagbladet.no/nyheter/slakter-ordforeren---pinlig/72394043
    0073 wrote:
    Higgins wrote:

Does the finnish sauna bring the bodytemperature over 60 degrees? :D

If so, I see bright future for Finland and plenty of businessmodels:
    But maybe Trump will try to buy the entire country then, just like he tries with german Vaccination-Labs :D

It's a good thing you understood 0073 wasn't joking, Higgins. As north Europeans we know the people of Finland have even less sense of humor than we do :v
    edited April 2020
    Higgins wrote:
    0073 wrote:
    Higgins wrote:

Does the finnish sauna bring the bodytemperature over 60 degrees? :D

If so, I see bright future for Finland and plenty of businessmodels:
    But maybe Trump will try to buy the entire country then, just like he tries with german Vaccination-Labs :D

I was insinuating to the saunas one would have come across in St Pauli in the '80s..... :v

But no, not even Finnish sauna can bring your body temp up to 60°C safely. But that doesn't mean that one would not benefit from a couple of cold brewskies and a good warm up in sauna!

On the topic: here's something to read about the temperatures: "2010 incident
    On 7 August 2010, Russian finalist and former third-place finisher Vladimir Ladyzhensky and Finnish five-time champion Timo Kaukonen passed out after six minutes of 110 °C (230 °F) heat, both suffering from terrible burns and trauma. According to a spectator who asked not to be identified, Kaukonen was able to leave the sauna with assistance, but Ladyzhensky had to be dragged out, and almost immediately went into cramps and convulsions.[5] Ladyzhensky died despite resuscitation and Kaukonen was rushed to the hospital.[6] He was reported to suffer from extreme burn injuries, and his condition was described as critical, but stable."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Sauna_Championships#2010_incident
    -Mr Arlington Beech
This discussion has been closed.