Coronavirus

Comments

• 00730073 COPPosts: 1,024MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Cdennis55 wrote:
    I’ve gotten really good at fake coughing and sneezing, though...should do the trick.

The trick was used during the Black Death too. :))

Thanks for the report and stay safe.

And by Darth Vader, I heard that the reason for the mask and heavy breathing was, that he actually was a nice guy but painfully shy and a terrific germaphobe...
    "I mean, she almost kills bond...with her ass."
    -Mr Arlington Beech
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    0073 wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    Cdennis55 wrote:
    I’ve gotten really good at fake coughing and sneezing, though...should do the trick.

The trick was used during the Black Death too. :))

Thanks for the report and stay safe.

And by Darth Vader, I heard that the reason for the mask and heavy breathing was, that he actually was a nice guy but painfully shy and a terrific germaphobe...

Really? I heard Mr. Vader suffered from severe asthma.
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,213MI6 Agent
    The ban of the sale of liquor from stores has been lifted from today in Cebu. Being under the influence of drink in public areas is still an arrestable offence though.
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
    The health authorities have made a mobile phone app to monitor and help stop the spread of Corona. Downloading the app is voluntary.
    The app knows where you've been and if someone else with the same app has been less than two meters from you for …. fifteen minutes, I think, you phone alerts you. Then you need to quarantine yourself. You're not told when, where, and by whom you've possibly been infected. Of course you alert the app if you're diagnosed with Corona and the app alerts people who's been near they can quarantine themselves. The authorities can use the data to study mass data and see how people move aroound and how this affects the spread of Corona, but they can't see the names of the dots moving around on the screen. Personally I haven't downloaded the app because I meet extreemly few people and I have and aversion against electronic surveilance. I don't belive the government will use this information in some dark ways, but I fear it will open up some doors for the future. Anyway about 1.6 million out of 5.3 million downloaded the app the first week.

I think apps like this one has been launched in other countries too. I wonder if such apps will get downloaded enough to be useful in coountries where there's less trust between people and especially large groups in the population don't trust the authorities. The USa is probably and example of this.
    Number24 wrote:
    Really? I heard Mr. Vader suffered from severe asthma.

That's what people usually think, but the reason he hated the Jedi so much, was that he feared that the Jedi in their promiscuous ways would infect the whole galaxy with incurable midichlorian infection!
    -Mr Arlington Beech
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,274MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    I wonder how our UK members are feeling in the light of over 20.000 fatalities ( not including homes for elderly) while in Germany we have less than a third of that number and are at least 10 days ahead of the curve.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/apr/22/uk-government-accused-of-cover-up-over-eu-scheme-to-buy-ppe

Normally I might regard this as a goading comment. In fact, as a UK citizen I feel not merely ashamed but actually frightened at what this Government is doing - and what it has been allowed to do.
    As far as I'm concerned it is a deliberate legal cull of care home residents, and it has been ushered in by the State for that express purpose.
    Thing is, it seems to have crashed the economy - perhaps they did not foresee this. Maybe they figured it would 'only' take out the weak and vulnerable, and the rest of us would sale through. They were wrong.
    But how could they get it wrong? I mean, if China were building a nuclear bomb to take out London you'd like to think a spy type character - can't think of the name right now - would be on the case. Instead, we have a pandemic, in a country, it's famous, it's not a colony on Mars, and come Feb or later, nobody seemed to know what it was capable of, they all played dumb.

It is not really credible. Anyhow, what we see in the Cabinet is the phenomenon of 'deskilling' where you put idiots in charge and they have an alibi for any wilful negligence - also known as the Grayling Effect.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • MarkOOMarkMarkOOMark Posts: 91MI6 Agent
    edited April 2020
    In fact, as a UK citizen I feel not merely ashamed but actually frightened at what this Government is doing - and what it has been allowed to do.

Much the same feelings here.... it been an absolute s***show, only Trumped by the USA in terms of negligence and destain for its population.

We personally know three people with Covid-19 and my sister who works in care homes, knows of three of those homes that are now rife with cases. She has had to leave employment, due to the risk, as she has health issues.... and the fact they had NO* PPE issued to them.

26,000 RIP :#

* sorry I lie... they were given plasic aprons 8-)
    MarkOOMark wrote:
    In fact, as a UK citizen I feel not merely ashamed but actually frightened at what this Government is doing - and what it has been allowed to do.

Much the same feelings here.... it been an absolute s***show, only Trumped by the USA in terms of negligence and destain for its population.
    Actually there is at least one leader of state that absolutely trumps Trump when it comes to handling the Corona crisis badly. Jair Bolsonara is the president of Brazil and he's called "Trump of the Tropics". Bolsonaro calls Corona "a mild flu" and he'against most measures to safeguard people against it. Corona is "media hysterics" according to him.

https://dnyuz.com/2020/03/27/jair-bolsonaro-leader-of-the-coronavirus-denial-movement/
  • MarkOOMarkMarkOOMark Posts: 91MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Actually there is at least one leader of state that absolutely trumps Trump when it comes to handling the Corona crisis badly

So very sad :# ... There are some countries you expect better of... to lead the way, and all that, but they are letting their people down..... no, they are killing their people.
    Higgins: How has this been taken in Germany: https://www.mpg.de/14759871/corona-stellungnahme

I'd like to get your opinion/perspective on it.
    -Mr Arlington Beech
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,323Chief of Staff

And what it has not done, or at least not done when it should have.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    edited April 2020
    0073 wrote:
    Higgins: How has this been taken in Germany: https://www.mpg.de/14759871/corona-stellungnahme

I'd like to get your opinion/perspective on it.

Do you want to get my personal view or the common view of the majority of people here.
    Keep in mind that like in many countries, we have a diversity of political opinions and Putin and other trolls are doing their best to distract, deflect and spread fake news and theories around.

A recent poll shows:

- 45% of Germans think, that the measures to opening up the country are premature and too fast
    - 15% say that the measures are moving too slow and we should move faster
    - 28% find the speed of opening up allright.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    edited April 2020
    Higgins wrote:
    Do you want to get my personal view or the common view of the majority of people here.
    Keep in mind that like in many countries, we have a diversity of political opinions and Putin and other trolls are doing their best to distract, deflect and spread fake news and theories around.

A recent poll shows:

- 45% of Germans think, that the measures to opening up the country are premature and too fast
    - 15% say that the measures are moving too slow and we should move faster
    - 28% find the speed of opening up allright.

Sorta-kinda both. I know several people in Germany and like you said, there is diversity like everywhere, and when I ask from them there is difference in opinion. So I like to get as many opinions as I can, and work from there.

And yes, we have that short ex-intel pogue and his cronies running his schemes here too, so that's familiar ground to us also.
    -Mr Arlington Beech
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    If you ask the very vocal minority, we are totally ruining our economy and are chopping our legs and arms off.
    I understand everybody, who is a businessowner or working short or has been laid off ( my wife suffers that as she works in the tourism sector - she‘s not working since Feb with 60% pay).

A large number of people ( I think, that Merkel currently has an approval rate of close to 80%) obey by the guidelines but you can feel, that people want a perspective that this is soon over.
    And this is not realistic imo, because the health threat will remain for a year or longer.

So, imo - as we can‘t lock up the economy for that long time, we must find a way to open up but not getting into the exponential growth.

Imo, we should have remained closed for 1-2weeks longer and then opened up on a lower base of R.

But the industry, Bild ( the largest newspaper) represented by Mr. Laschet and his pr guys where very vocal and pressed the authorities on doing something, that they basically did not want.

And I hope that I am wrong, but I fear that we are paying a high price for opening too soon by another wave and not only in hotspots but countrywide as the virus has now been carried all over the country.

A journalist compared the dilemma quite well:

Offer a kid a bar of chocolate now or 3 bars in one week.
    Unfortunately, the majority of people will behave like 5 year olds... :#
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Higgins wrote:
    If you ask the very vocal minority, we are totally ruining our economy and are chopping our legs and arms off.
    I understand everybody, who is a businessowner or working short or has been laid off ( my wife suffers that as she works in the tourism sector - she‘s not working since Feb with 60% pay).

A large number of people ( I think, that Merkel currently has an approval rate of close to 80%) obey by the guidelines but you can feel, that people want a perspective that this is soon over.
    And this is not realistic imo, because the health threat will remain for a year or longer.

So, imo - as we can‘t lock up the economy for that long time, we must find a way to open up but not getting into the exponential growth.

Imo, we should have remained closed for 1-2weeks longer and then opened up on a lower base of R.

But the industry, Bild ( the largest newspaper) represented by Mr. Laschet and his pr guys where very vocal and pressed the authorities on doing something, that they basically did not want.

And I hope that I am wrong, but I fear that we are paying a high price for opening too soon by another wave and not only in hotspots but countrywide as the virus has now been carried all over the country.

A journalist compared the dilemma quite well:

Offer a kid a bar of chocolate now or 3 bars in one week.
    Unfortunately, the majority of people will behave like 5 year olds... :#

Thank you for your insights.
    This is the kind of discussion that's starting in Finland also. Yesterday the government gave the order to open-up the lower level schools in mid May. They are still required to follow social distancing rules, so how they accomplish this is anybodys guess. I have been buried in this sarscov2 -fight for almost 3 months now, reading mostly official reports, so I have pretty strong opinion on what should be done and it is not that far away from the scientific view.
    Ajb gives me a possibility to "air out" and shoot ****, so I'm grateful for that.
    -Mr Arlington Beech
    Same in Norway. The kindergardens have been open from last week and the four lowest classes at school has been open since Monday. The numbers look good with less than 130 Corona patients for a time now, but we'll see what effect the more relaxed rules has in a couple of weeks.
    The Twittertag #filmyourhopital has spread lately, especially through the Alt-right movement in the States. They're filming aparently quiet hospitals to "prove" Corona is a hoax. Empty hospital entrances don't prove anything,since most non-Corona treatment and consultations have stopped, there are no visitors and these conspiracy theorists aren't allowed into the parts of the hospitals where the Corona patients are.
    I've asked myself several times why so many are dying of Corona in Belgium. Here is a BBC article I found on the subject:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52491210
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,274MI6 Agent
    That's fascinating, and in great contrast to our situation in the UK, where doctors have been advised not to assign a death to Cover-19 even if the signs are there, if a test hasn't confirmed it.
    As a good many care home doctors will be on a retainer - that is, in the pay of the care home to the tune of several thousands of pounds a year, they will oblige.
    Just as they do when a resident has an 'underlying health problem' such as Parkinson's or motor neurone disease - that is given as the cause, rather than any neglect of Liverpool Care Pathway type deaths.

Something similar happened with the so called Spanish flu of 1919. It got named that simply because most countries covered up the deaths to avoid panic - thus exacerbating the problem as it allowed the population to move freely - while Spain accurately reported what was going on, so claimed 'ownership' of the disease.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    That's fascinating, and in great contrast to our situation in the UK, where doctors have been advised not to assign a death to Cover-19 even if the signs are there, if a test hasn't confirmed it.
    As a good many care home doctors will be on a retainer - that is, in the pay of the care home to the tune of several thousands of pounds a year, they will oblige.
    Just as they do when a resident has an 'underlying health problem' such as Parkinson's or motor neurone disease - that is given as the cause, rather than any neglect of Liverpool Care Pathway type deaths.

Something similar happened with the so called Spanish flu of 1919. It got named that simply because most countries covered up the deaths to avoid panic - thus exacerbating the problem as it allowed the population to move freely - while Spain accurately reported what was going on, so claimed 'ownership' of the disease.

Yes, it was because of WWI. The epidemic started in the US and was spread to Europe with soldiers being shipped to France and the UK.
    The epidemic was covered up with censorship becaus ewho wants the enemy to know you're in the middle of a pandemic during a wordl war? Spain was neutralso tehy didn't censor it. Hence the Spanish Flu.
    Two questions:
    1) Is the celebration of Your national day called off?
    2) Do you care?

In my case the answer to both is yes
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Two questions:
    1) Is the celebration of Your national day called off?
    2) Do you care?

In my case the answer to both is yes
    Are you talking about VE day?
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    That too.
    Number24 wrote:
    That too.
    Well St George's day that has just gone is never really celebrated with any amount of fervour, nor is St Andrews or St David's.
    There is a thing going round to have a stay at home front garden picnic and decorate our houses red white and blue for VE day, which I think is a good idea as long as social distancing with neighbours is observed, we will be hanging out a St George's flag and a Union Jack and putting up the bunting
    20200503-143412.jpg
    I don't think many European countries celebrate their national day more than we do on the 17th of may. This time I was in the local comitee to arrange it. But because of Corona almost everything has to go, for the first and only time other than the German occupation.
    Number24 wrote:
    I don't think many European countries celebrate their national day more than we do on the 17th of may. This time I was in the local comitee to arrange it. But because of Corona almost everything has to go, for the first and only time other than the German occupation.
    It's a shame but pretty much everything has to be cancelled its the safe and right thing to do, even though many countries have a population that could do with the sort of lift a celebration day can provide.
    So true. Some comunities in the archipelagos in the far south are arranging "parades" in boats instead of the usual parades in the main street. That's a great idea and corona safe. I think large cities by larger rivers like NY or London should do that as soon as the restrictions allows it. It would be a safe way to celebrate the city and lift people's spirits.
    US Foreign Secretary Pompeo claims there is "enormous evidence" that the Corona virus comes from a lab in Wuhan in China. Trump has made simular claims. I didn't care much when Trump said it because ……. Trump. But now that Pompeo also says so I wonder what his sources are.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/evidence-covid-19-coronavirus-china-lab-europe-eases-lockdown-12698348
  • Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,091MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    US Foreign Secretary Pompeo claims there is "enormous evidence" that the Corona virus comes from a lab in Wuhan in China. Trump has made simular claims. I didn't care much when Trump said it because ……. Trump. But now that Pompeo also says so I wonder what his sources are.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/evidence-covid-19-coronavirus-china-lab-europe-eases-lockdown-12698348

Secretary of State Pompeo lies to the press. For example, Pompeo claimed in an interview know nothing about the content of Trump's phone call with the President of the Ukraine, having only heard about it from press reports. It then was learned Pompeo was there listening in to the conversation. Pompeo's veracity is on the same level as Trump, Barr, and Giuliani...nonexistent.
This discussion has been closed.