Coronavirus

Comments

• 00730073 COPPosts: 1,025MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    It's a good thing you understood 0073 wasn't joking, Higgins. As north Europeans we know the people of Finland have even less sense of humor than we do :v

We're happiest when we are drunk, right after singing and right before we start a fight! :)) :)) :))
    "I mean, she almost kills bond...with her ass."
    -Mr Arlington Beech
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,811MI6 Agent
    Then you kill yourself in the sauna!

When I grew up the TV channel showed "TV-theatre" on Tuesdays. The myth was that it was usually something from the land of the thousand lakes and the themes were despression, loneliness, moonshine and suicide …. often in the sauna. Sport clubs, religious groups, choirs and others liked to do their thing on Tuesdays. On Mondays they showed a film on TV, Wednesdays had "Dynasty", Thursdays I don't remember and Friday offered a crime series (often Derrick) so no football training or choir practice on those days :)) :))
    Number24 wrote:
    ...and Friday offered a crime series (often Derrick) so no football training or choir practice on those days :)) :))

Ein fall für zwei, Derrick and of course Der Alte; Erwin Köster from kripo München I grew up on those. Back in the day, the government broadcasting company YLE would not show the capitalist trash that is American crime shows!!!
    -Mr Arlington Beech
    I remember NRK showed capitalist trash like "Murder, she wrote", "Miami Vice" and The Saint. Capitalist trash was very popular.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    0073 wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    ...and Friday offered a crime series (often Derrick) so no football training or choir practice on those days :)) :))

Ein fall für zwei, Derrick and of course Der Alte; Erwin Köster from kripo München I grew up on those. Back in the day, the government broadcasting company YLE would not show the capitalist trash that is American crime shows!!!

And Sauna-Clubs apparently - we have also traditional Saunas over here, which are called - Sauna :D

As for Derrick, it's amazing how globally popular a basically boring german TV really was.
    I remember when young Higgins was the first time in Hong Kong, there was Derrick on tv and I could not stop laughing about his chinese voice.... :D

Erich Köster's series was called "Der Alte".

Have you ever seen SOKO München (known as 5113)?
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    No, there was the series about the police dog Rex.
    Higgins wrote:

Erich Köster's series was called "Der Alte".

Ah, my bad. I bow my head in shame, may I ever be excused for this infraction!!

And no, SOKO München in not familiar.
    -Mr Arlington Beech
    SOKO München was the best and longest running german Police Series.

However, we never found it cool, Kojak, Starsky and Hutch and Streets of San Francisco where the hip series, our dads watches Derrick, and us, too.

edited April 2020
    Finland hasn't been able to be a part of the Nordic crime fiction wave as far as I know. How come?
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    No, there was the series about the police dog Rex.

Loved that show when I was younger—never missed an ep :)
    Number24 wrote:
    Finland hasn't been able to be a part of the Nordic crime fiction wave as far as I know. How come?

Probably because Finnish tv production is crap. The people making tv and movies are more worried about whether they are seen as artists than they are about entertaining. Just look at Aki Kaurismäki, what a steaming pile of... well you get the picture.

I believe you are familiar with Rare Exports? That was made by people with background in advertising, because they were not "establishment" movie people, they received a very bad rap from the "genuine" movie folks.

There have been some effort to make internationally interesting tv productions. This for one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadwind
    -Mr Arlington Beech
    It was the same in Norway about 15-20 years ago. The system was changed and movie projects had to get financial support from the private market in adition to state support to get off the ground. Now most filmmakers make films for the public and not just to impress their film school teachers. The public boadcast TV has alo gotten better, even including some international successes like SKAM, The Heavy Water War and Norsemen.
    0073 wrote:

I guess, that we all have been missing the sarcasm in that exchange.
    He spoke to Dr. Birx and everybody can watch the video.
    If you believe, that the president spoke in a sarcastic way to journalists, you believe the emperor without clothes - and frankly, you are a moron!
    Not sure what is more ridiculous - the entire statement yesterday or the „clarification“ today.

• ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    20200424-191949.jpg
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,287MI6 Agent
    We're over 20,000 deaths in hospitals in the UK now.

Doesn't include care home residents - cos the Govt doesn't give a toss about them, as I found out to my cost after we had to place Mum in one.
    I wouldn't say they don't care if they live or die. They'd rather they die - after all, the elderly cost money and contribute nothing you see. A death saves the State a fortune in pension and prescriptions - so thousands of death is quids in, it turns out.
    It took me ages to figure this out, when it should have been staring me in the face.
    'The bigger picture'...
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    I understand your frustration, I really do. If my mother was in a home instead in a large house in the countryside I'd be really worried too. I don't think the British government has done enough to protect people against Corona, especially the elderly. But do they WANT the elderly to die? Is it really likely the government is that cynical?
    edited April 2020
    Yep, afraid so.

But it's not exactly the Govt itself. I mean, it is but it goes beyond that - it's the entire British State. By which I mean, lest that sound like hyperbole, the local authority aka Council (in my case Surrey County Council), local police (who refuse to bring charges re the Gosport Memorial Hospital killings) and who will never investigate anything that leads back to its sister organisation the local Council, plus the regulators such as the Care Quality Commission and the Nurse & Midwifery Council - both completely bent but it takes you a while to find this out - all are adept at misdirection and pass off their wilful negligence as incompetence.
    Local newspapers can't run much on it, they don't have the resources to investigate and may well get sued.
    National press ditto to some extent but it does seem they've been warned off. Worse, and v oddly, no social workers or Safeguarding heads are ever named in any care home scandal.

Care homes are in cahoots to a large extent with the local authority - oh, and of course your local NHS CCG will be involved too, lets not forget that.
    In London and the South-East, the elderly population is quite high and costs a fortune.

How is it done? Mainly dehydration - it's a variation on the notorious Liverpool Care Pathway, now illegal, where someone at the end of their life - or assessed to be - could be killed by having fluid and food forcibly withdrawn while family watched on horrified.
    Care homes do this in cahoots with the Council and of course the family simply isn't informed so later when they're told the resident 'just stopped eating and drinking in the last few days' they assume they came to the end of their natural life.

My mother's been dead over two years now. I'd estimate they put her on end-of-life care back in March 2014 after one care home nearly killed her. After she was discharged from hospital to another care home, my sister and I had to take it in turns to turn up every day to give her drink and thought it odd that we could never get any care home to do this.
    Very, very belatedly I figured it out. (She did pass away in October 2017, in her seventh care home, in Kingston, Surrey).

Surrey County Council tried to fit me up and have us barred from the care home after I took the previous one to the local press - what I found out about it, it's too much to go into here. The idea, it seems, was to have Mum killed off by stopping us from showing up and giving her drink. V nearly succeeded too.
    Oh! And we went to see our local MP who despite being charming in person it seemed was oddly reluctant to fill us in on what the Council's Social Services was up to. His name? Chris Grayling, which won't mean much if you live in Norway perhaps, but he is a real piece of work.
    Sorry for banging on, but this care home carnage is a cash cow for the Govt.

What I learned? Wow, you never trust anyone again.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    I'm very sorry to hear this. But I still think this is incompetence and negligence. I can't imagine anyone in the Council or elsewhere thinking "I hope a thousand old people die so we save some money".
    Me neither. That's why it took me 2-3 years to figure it out. :))

'Downskilling' is a bit of a thing these days - the idea is you hire people who are kinda rubbish so if they are incompetent the same things happen anyway, and they try to cover it up.
    You even get this with the British Govt - I mean Johnson has been seen as incompetent, so is Raab, Hancock et al so that they allow Covid-19 to settle in the UK can be attributed to that. To accuse someone of being corrupt is not the done thing in the UK and also actionable.

There are a number of ways that the elderly can be killed off in care homes, I'm not listing them all, but if the Liverpool Care Pathway could happen, and Gosport could happen, I struggle to see how my allegations are intrinsically incredible.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,379Chief of Staff
    I struggle to see how my allegations are intrinsically incredible.

You're absolutely correct. They are not.

I'll PM you with more.
    I hope people find it hard to belive that public servants and elected officials are killing old people to save money for the budget. It's a sign they have some belief in theur fellow man and the society they live in.
    edited April 2020

And this is what‘s really going on in the WH......

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/23/us/politics/coronavirus-trump.html

Home Alone at the White House: A Sour President, With TV His Constant Companion

edited April 2020
    Number24 wrote:
    I hope people find it hard to belive that public servants and elected officials are killing old people to save money for the budget. It's a sign they have some belief in theur fellow man and the society they live in.

With Britain, I'm bound to believe just about anything, just look at "The London Candle": the whole thing, from the beginning to the incident it self and the response through the investigation to the political aftermath.

The only thing to hold up my faith, is the grassroots community response and the men and women in the front line of the emergency services.

But, it's not Britain alone: in Finland we have had the debacle of the PPE -purchases by the National Emergency Supply Agency, in which 5million euros were paid to known criminals, for sub-par equipment purchased from China.

So far the director of the agency has stepped down and 2 program directors have been placed on paid leave pending criminal investigation by the LE.

What the problem is, that not counting for the armed forces, every other government agency makes leadership hires from the politically connected pool of people. Even the leadership of the law enforcement is more often than not people with law degrees, but no field experience. That produces some really bizarre policies and decision making.

The director of the NESA in Finland, who lost his job, was just this type of person, no real world experience in making critical equipment purchases or logistics decisions in a state of emergency. Put in place because of political affiliations, probably expected to have landed a plush gov. job with pretty much nothing of real importance to do before retirement.... Too bad this whole covid-19 turned out be a real disaster.

p.s. It comes as surprise to no one, that the ministry in the government under which administration this belongs to, has pretty much washed their hands from this. That's what you get when your cabinet ministers are chosen based on their gender...
    -Mr Arlington Beech
    I doubt their gender is the problem. We all know there are plenty of experienced women with good sense. In Norway half the cabinet has been women since the mid-80's and the country is usually ranked as one of the best countries in the world to live in. I belive Finland is also high on these ranking and lots of women are in leadership roles.
    Finland has also handled Corona well, being nearly the only country with a lot of neccessary medical equipment stored up and less than 200 deaths.
    Number24 wrote:
    I doubt their gender is the problem. We all know there are plenty of experienced women with good sense. In Norway half the cabinet has been women since the mid-80's and the country is usually ranked as one of the best countries in the world to live in. I belive Finland is also high on these ranking and lots of women are in leadership roles.
    Finland has also handled Corona well, being nearly the only country with a lot of neccessary medical equipment stored up and less than 200 deaths.

Quite true, if the selection criteria is based on sound principles, but if the selection is done in gender driven manner it's a different story. When SDP won the last parliamentary election here, the first thing they did, was to declare that the cabinet would be formed in "The Most Equal Manner Ever", and that women would be in majority role.... Now how equal is that? 8-)
    Anyways, the parties that formed the cabinet did not have enough talented people to vacate the cabinet positions, let alone enough women to do that.
    So even if there was a certain level of readiness already in place even before this pandemic, I have been part of that equation for several years already in my current position, it is the political leadership that is lacking. Finland missed the EU procurement of the PPEs because of this, then there is the problems of the NESA, nobody knows what is done next.
    There are plenty of plans and capabilities in place, this is thanks to the way things are done in Finland. Only problem being that our government is not making any decisions. My small department is "locked and loaded and ready to rock" except we've been told for a better part of a month now to "wait fer it!!" I was already quite frustrated back in the day, by my post 163 on this thread. It has only gotten worse.
    -Mr Arlington Beech
    Having a majority of women as a policy seems wrong, yes. In Norway it's been the unofficial policy to have half the cabinet being female. That's worked well.
    Number24 wrote:
    Having a majority of women as a policy seems wrong, yes. In Norway it's been the unofficial policy to have half the cabinet being female. That's worked well.

I'd even go a step further; having any other gender policy, except: everybody gets to apply and gets considered on merit and best person available for the job gets appointed, is wrong. I have nothing against even a 100% female cabinet, if it's the best available combo of people.

Now consider this: The Agrarian party that's in the cabinet has their turn to appoint a person to top civil servant job in the Ministry of Treasury. The person they are trying to shoehorn into the position is someone who has very little experience or background in fiscal matters, something that you would consider quite important for that position. That person beat several candidates with better and longer experience in fiscal and budgetary matters, some of those even had doctoral degrees in economics. This person who is going to get that job has only masters degree, he/she wrote her/his thesis about cow udders... :#
    I guess it's more important to have the correct political pedigree...
    -Mr Arlington Beech
    Sadly there's been lots of positions where both genders have had in theory the same chance of getting hired/given the position for decades, but somehow women are grossly underrepresented anyway. Men have a history of hiring men. In these cases I support positive discrimination, at least for a time. to change the culture. Positive discriminiation also requires the candidate to be qualified. Positive discrimination is needed where women are being ignored for decades even if they're fully qualified.
    What do I say to your example? I same the same thing I said about the male Minister of Finance in Iceland before the bank crash in 2008 who was trained as an electrician: you have to be be qualified for the job. People getting positions for political reasons and not because of their qualifications and merrits isn't unique to women.
    Number24 wrote:
    People getting positions for political reasons and not because of their qualifications and merrits isn't unique to women.

Which is the reason I tried to obfuscate the matter of gender in this case... :(|)
    -Mr Arlington Beech
    Okay, it sound like we're on the same page on that. But to get absolutely clear: do you agree there are cases where positive discrimination is the right thing to do?
    And in the case of cabinets: do you agree it's natural to balance in the cabinet according to gender, geography etc to make the cabinet more representative of the people. (Within reason and of course granted everyone is qualified)
This discussion has been closed.