Tributes Thread

Comments

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent
    edited March 2021

Sad to hear of the death yesterday of film voiceover artist Nikki van der Zyl, aged 85. She was a largely unsung contributor to the earlier Bond films. As well as her dubbing of many of the Bond girls she was also the English coach to Gert Frobe on the set of Goldfinger. Quite a career.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,699MI6 Agent

Nikki van der Zyl was more important to the early Bond movies than many know. She also had a very good Bond girl name - perhaps a future Bond girl should be named van der Zyl in honour of her?

Rest in peace.

• Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent

RIP Nikki van Der Zyl, undervalued much like fellow voice artist Robert Rietty.

Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff

Sad to hear of her death; as said above, an unsung hero of the Bond movies.

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent

It's certainly a nice idea for a tribute but unfortunately I can't see Eon doing anything like that given the bad blood that seems to have developed between the parties.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,238MI6 Agent

Yeah, I understand she did the voice of Ursula Andress, Shirley Eaton, Claudine Auger and most amazingly Corrinne Defour in Moonraker!

It must have lent a happy familiarity to these early Bond girls, without quite understanding why!

On a happier note, it is just worth pointing out that both Sir Michael Caine (and his lovely wife) & gruff English character actor Bernard Cribbins are still alive. As is Caine's younger flatmate, Terence Stamp.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,906MI6 Agent

is there a complete list of all the voices Nikki van der Zyl overdubbed for the Bond films?

I bet Barbel's go them memorised!

in my personal opinion, voice actors are cool. Mel Blanc, Peter Sellers, the main cast of the Simpsons... I'd love to have that sort of job!

😂 Yes, but rather than re-invent the wheel here's her Wiki entry-

Nikki van der Zyl - Wikipedia

Erling Lorentzen, SOE agent during the war, died today aged 98. He married a princess right after the war and became an industrialist. I believe there are only one or two members of Company Linge (The "land unit" of Norwegian SOE) and one member of The Shetland Gang ("The first reel of Guns of Navarone" part if Norwegian SOE) left.

RIP

Here you go, courtesy of 007 Magazine:

1962Dr. No Ursula Andress Honey Ryder (entire vocal and singing performance*)  Eunice Gayson SylviaTrench (entire vocal performance)  Dolores Keator Mary (entire vocal performance)

1963From Russia With Love Eunice Gayson Sylvia Trench (entire vocal performance)

1964Goldfinger Nadia Regin Bonita (entire vocal performance)  Shirley Eaton Jill Masterson (entire vocal performance)

1965 Thunderball Claudine Auger Domino (entire vocal performance)

1967You Only Live Twice Mie Hama Kissy Suzuki (entire vocal performance)

1969On Her Majesty's Secret Service Virginia North Olympe (entire vocal performance)

1971Diamonds Are ForeverDenise Perrier Marie (entire vocal performance)

1973Live And Let DieJane Seymour Solitaire (part vocal performance)

1974The Man With The Golden GunFrancoise Therry Chew Mee (entire vocal performance)

1979Moonraker Corrine Cléry Corinne Dufour (part vocal performance)

*Smithers500: I’d always thought this was Diana Coupland?

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,906MI6 Agent

thanks fellers!

Some significant BondGirls on that list!

it makes sense she would overdub actresses for whom English was not the first language, but looking at that list and the nonBond films in her wikipedia entry, half those actresses were English!

Like why would they need to overdub Shirley Eaton or Jane Seymour?

• hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent

^I think Shirley spoke with a Cockney accent.

Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"

Eaton was narked that she'd been dubbed. But her original voice back then was a bit Cockney, a bit London and maybe a tad shrill. To be fair, voices are very important and the chances that a lovely looking woman - a model really - would also have a great voice would be slim. (Breaks off to deal with being hassled by Cookies request, is this a new thing? Like that dancing Paperclip on Word asking if you need any help?) Anyway, imagine how it might be better if say Triple X had been dubbed and certainly Sanchez's moll in License to Kill.

I'd like to hear Lazenby dubbed by someone other than George Baker in OHMSS as his line delivery is a problem for me. Which makes me wonder about European versions of OHMSS which presumably would have been dubbed - might that film not be better dubbed and with subtitles? Did they use the Connery dubber for Lazenby?

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Just read that Murray Walker -the voice of Formula 1, has died at the grand age of 97, RIP.

It's Diana Coupland on the record. Both have claimed credit for the acapella performance as Honey is first seen.

Ah interesting, thanks Barbel

• Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,418Quartermasters

Wow, he really lived to a grand old age! His voice always brings back very happy memories of Sunday afternoons watching grand prix racing in the 1990s when I was growing up. RIP.

Marvellous Marvin Hagler has died aged 66, RIP.

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,416Chief of Staff

Marvellous Marvin Hagler - an absolute wrecking machine as a boxer...I can still remember him destroying Alan Minter at Wembley in three rounds...and The War he had with Thomas Hitman Hearns in 1985 🙌🏻

RIP Champ 🍸

YNWA 97
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent

Sad to hear of the death of Yaphet Kotto, aged 81. Condolences to his family. His portrayal of Mr Big was a highlight of the Sir Roger Moore years as 007.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/yaphet-kotto-dead-dies-alien-bond-villain-1234931654/

"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."

Yaphet Kotto will be missed. RIP.

RIP Yaphet Kotto, I thought he was great in LALD, good to see a main villain with a physical presence usually reserved for the henchmen.

On a personal note I was saddened that he cancelled an Autographica attendance a few years back and always hoped that he would make it over, alas...

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,172MI6 Agent

Indeed. One of the better villains. He had that seventies vibe yet captured Fleming's cut-throat, voodoo obsessed malevolent character perfectly. His death scene is particularly memorable.

Also very good in Shaft and Shaft's Big Score.

edited March 2021

Very sad to hear of the death of Yaphet Kotto. One of the best, most intelligent and resourceful Bond villains.

Kotto's Dr Kananga was certainly a refreshing change after 11 years of SPECTRE being the main villains in the Bond films. 

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,030MI6 Agent

RIP Yaphet Kotto. A great Bond villain. He was married to a Filipina and died here in the Philippines.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff

RIP, Yaphet Kotto. Sad to think that so many who were parts of the Bond films in the 1960s and '70s are gone. . . Julian Glover is now the longest-survived Bond villain!

Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,416Chief of Staff

Names is for tombstones, baby!

Alas, all too apt...RIP Yaphet Kotto 🍸

YNWA 97

'And having set the example, I don't expect Miss Solitaire to be any less the lady' is one of my favourite Bond villain lines, delivered with aplomb by Mr Kotto.

He was one of the most affable Bond villains, laughing it up from the moment he takes off his makeup, only Health Secretary Matt Hancock can show such jollity in the face of increasing jeopardy due to his own incompetence.

Big was I guess part of a tend of the Tom Mackiewetz - oh you look up the spelling - era where Gray's Blofeld and Lee's Scaramanga seemed to almost be having more fun than Bond himself.

Yaphet Kotto was also brilliant of course in the comedy thriller Midnight Run.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent

I haven’t been here in a while (since the tragic death of Sir Sean Connery), but I wanted to add my condolences for the great Yaphett Kotto, one of the best Bond villains ever. His performance of Mr. Big/Dr. Kanaga is forever a highlight in the annals of Bond film history. Rest In Peace Brother.

"Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."