Tributes Thread

Comments

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,118MI6 Agent

A very sad week to lose both Murray Walker and Sabine Schmitz. Both motorsport legends and wonderful people. RIP.

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent
    edited March 2021

Just heard the sad news that the actor George Segal died yesterday. I liked him as the lead Quiller in the great spy film The Quiller Memorandum (1966) which also starred Max von Sydow as the villain Oktober and which had a score by John Barry.  

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff

Sad to hear that. He was in some great films (and let's be honest, some terrible ones too- leading to his career slumping so badly about 40 years ago that many younger people may not know who he was).

• Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent

RIP George Segal, he was in a personal favourite of mine, and another movie with a great Barry soundtrack, King Rat - definitely worth checking out for those who’ve not seen it and love 60’s British film.

Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,238MI6 Agent

We were discussing Quiller on the Last Film thread, weren't we? It never occurred to me to think whether he was still alive. One film of his I love is Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf with Burton and Taylor - only that film for some reason is simply never shown on telly any more.

Wasn't he in A Touch of Class with Glenda Jackson? Again, never shown, but a goodie if I recall.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

I have just looked up Dick Van Dyke to check if he's still alive. Born 1925... that's it. So he is!

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,294MI6 Agent

Dead Barbra co stars : Richardson , Segal , Sharif , Sarrazin

• PPK 7.65mmPPK 7.65mm Saratoga Springs NY USAPosts: 1,227MI6 Agent

Very sorry to hear about George Segal's passing, he was a member of the cast of the tv sitcom The Goldbergs (one of my current favorite tv shows) and always stole every scene he was in as the grandfather of Adam Goldberg.

• Mr MalloryMr Mallory North by northwestPosts: 632MI6 Agent

R.I.P. Prince Philip

What makes you think this is my first time?
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,699MI6 Agent

In memory of Prince Philip.

RIP HRH The Duke of Edinburgh

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent
    edited April 2021

Sad to hear of the death of Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh. 99 is a great age but I was hoping he'd make it to the big milestone of 100 later this year. What a life of massive public service well lived to the fullest extent.

Prince Philip was an Ian Fleming Bond fan too which is confirmed in O.F. Snelling's Double O Seven James Bond: A Report (1964):

"One sees in the gossip columns that the Duke of Edinburgh reads Fleming avidly." (p. 183 of the Panther Books paperback edition, 1965).

Perhaps more surprisingly the Duke was also a subscriber to the long-running British journal the Flying Saucer Review since its inception in the 1950s:

http://www.fsr.org.uk

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,965MI6 Agent

RIP Prince Philip.

The Duke of Edinburgh's passing has given pause to reflect on aspects of his life and service often forgotten, including details about his active service in WW2 and the ways in which, in previous decades, he was a Royal Family moderniser.

According to many who knew Prince Philip, the private and personal support he gave to the Queen as her consort, and to his family as a whole, was often understimated and may never be fully appreciated. This being so, he should be celebrated, despite his occasionally mis-firing one-liners, as a one-time naval hero whose life was truly lived On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
  • Unknown007Unknown007 Posts: 201MI6 Agent

Would it be correct to say that in a way Prince Philip - Duke of Edinburgh was very similar to James Bond? A Royal Navy Commander Suave Debonaire and as we've seen in the tributes over the Weekend a little handsome too.

R.I,P. Prince Philip - Duke of Edinburgh.

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,414Chief of Staff
    YNWA 97

Remembering the 96🙏

Really sad and unexpected news here, Helen McCrory of Peaky Blinders and Skyfall has died at the young age of 52 - RIP.

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,414Chief of Staff

Shocked to hear of the death of Helen McCrory at only 52 😢

She was excellent in Peaky Blinders and was always extremely watchable…thought she was great as Clair Dower in Skyfall

RIP 🍸

YNWA 97

She always came across as a genuinely nice person during interviews. Loved her appearance in Skyfall. Terrific actress. Beautiful woman. My heart goes out to Damian and her family. RIP

Not a major role in Skyfall - I understand an early draft dealt with M's dodgy past life as a younger woman - in that her past came back to haunt her - and McCrory was down to play the younger Dench. Not getting that, she got the prim minister.

She was very very good in an early role as Cherie Blair in The Queen - written by the guy who came up with the 'M dying' suggestion for Skyfall.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff

Helen McCrory was a fantastic performer and far, far too young to die. RIP.

Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent

She also had a memorable role in Penny Dreadful with Tim Dalton and Eva Green. May she RIP.

"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,446MI6 Agent

She would have been a great young Dench.

I’m glad she got her star turn in Peaky Blinders.

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff

RIP Jim Steinman, an incredible songwriter.

Fantastic songwriter. Total Eclipse of the Heart one of my all time faves. RIP

Michael Collins, Apollo 11 Astronaut has died aged 90, RIP.

• PPK 7.65mmPPK 7.65mm Saratoga Springs NY USAPosts: 1,227MI6 Agent

Just found out today that former NFL player turned character actor Frank McRae from Rocky II, 48 Hours, Licence To Kill and Last Action Hero among others passed away on April 29 from a heart attack at the age of 80. He was always a welcome presence to me as a movie in all of his roles regardless of how much total screen time he got.

• Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,418Quartermasters

RIP Frank McRae. He gave a memorable performance in LTK.

Another recent passing that I've just heard of is the death of André Maranne. He was Number 10 in Thunderball's SPECTRE briefing scene, as well as being a recurring actor in The Pink Panther series, and I also remember him from his guest appearance in Fawlty Towers and other films like Battle of Britain and Darling Lili.

edited May 2021

Sad to hear of the death of Frank McRae. He was great as Sharkey and his death in LTK was a very poignant, visceral and shocking moment. Of course his death was brilliantly avenged by Bond. I believe Sharkey was named after a fisherman that Ian Fleming knew though he never appeared in any of his Bond works. I also liked McRae in Columbo where he played a detective called Lt Robertson in the episode A Bird in the Hand... (1992) where the usual formula was changed to that of a straight mystery. 

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,172MI6 Agent

Frank McRae's Sharkey was effectively replacing Felix Leiter, who of course had had an unfortunate breakfast with a shark which disagreed with him. Its a good, neat little role which harks back all the way to Quarrel in Dr No. I liked the obvious camaraderie between Bond and Sharkey which isn't deferential or condescending. Wish he could have survived longer to help out in Isthmus instead of doddery old Q.

Had no idea McRae was an American Football star. A sad loss. RIP.