Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

Comments

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent

The thing with JRP is that I feel he’s very flavour of the month-ish: I wonder if we won’t have forgotten him in six months.

• Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,757MI6 Agent
    edited May 2021

This. We’re YEARS away from a new Bond being named.

The Idris thing only took on a life of its own after the Sony Exec’s comments leaked following the hack. No other rumored replacement has gained sustained traction over the years.

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent

(Apologies for my earlier acronym error, it should of course be RJP not JRP).

I think his star is in the ascendancy. His announcement as the next James Bond may not surprise us, or those with half an eye on these things but to the large general public I think it would be a surprise and create an impact. I would say if you asked the average movie goer person on the street who the next James Bond is going to be or who should be the next James Bond, many would say Henry Cavill or Tom Hardy, so RJP's announcement would be a surprise to them.

I'm also still a fan of Aiden Turner as the next Bond, so either I would be happy with.

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,702MI6 Agent

I understand many TV stars try to make a movie between seasons. If RJP makes a good character driven drama (ideally award-winning) or an action movie showcasing his fighting skills and stunts I think his chanses of becoming the next Bond increases.

edited May 2021

Agree. If he hasn't yet been approached and would like to increase his chances, appearing in aforementioned type roles will really help his chances.

• superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent

After watching Tenant I wouldn’t mind Aaron Taylor -Johnson having a shot... only about 30 and if Nolan directs next one.. well apparently he does like to work with actors he’s worked with before!!

I agree Taylor-Johnson is a good candidate 🙂

Yep. Taylor-Johnson is a good shout. Ticks a lot of boxes. Would be happy with him as Bond.

• HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,736MI6 Agent
    edited May 2021

I also like Aaron Taylor-Johnson as a potential Bond. He can act, do action, is only 30 (so figure about 35 when they get around to Bond 26), movie star handsome but has a "ruggedness" to him that will get even better as he matures, and has the contemporary action star hardbody physique already. Taylor-Johnson is listed at 5'11" but he appears a bit taller on screen. I just wonder if he is a bit too much of an established name for EON....but then again they might not want to go with a complete unknown after as hugely popular a Bond as Craig has been.

Based on what I've seen ATJ acting range is maybe comparable to Roger Moore or Pierce Brosnan. That's hugely subjective and based on limited watching of his work of course.

• ichaiceichaice LondonPosts: 593MI6 Agent

Since it’s all about initials just give it to HC already. He’s easily the best candidate out there by a Jersey mile 😀

Yes. Considerably!

Stop that, ASAP!

• Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent

PMSL 🤣😳

"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • Royale-les-EauxRoyale-les-Eaux LondonPosts: 814MI6 Agent
    edited May 2021

Surely HC will not be available due to the imminent, unavoidable, draft into the real life Great Jersey Fish War?!

FWIW HC would be good despite suffering from Brosnan 'it's his turn' syndrome.

I also still really like Hoult.

I like HC and he would be a traditional choice, but I think he's just too obvious a choice for them.

The late Chadwick Boseman was IMO, an excellent character actor with movie star looks and lots of screen presence. Boseman was also a terrific mimic and had great physicality which served him so well in the bio films he did. I have no doubt Boseman could have done a spot on accent for the role and looked very convincing in the action (it is sad to note that unbeknownst to many Boseman had suffered with bouts of the cancer that eventually took his life for many years; it is also a tribute to how tough and resilient he was) and embodied Bond on the screen. Of course, even had Boseman lived, there's no way EON would have cast a Marvel Superhero as Bond much less one as iconic as Boseman's Black Panther.

• doubleOElvisdoubleOElvis Posts: 17MI6 Agent

If EON is even remotely interested in avoiding controversy, they will stay as far away from Henry Cavill as possible.

I think there are many choices that are far more controversial than Henry Cavill.

Well, Kata of the Gym. If being Superman, Solo and a Mission Impossible villan didn't disquallify him I don't think this will.

Maybe, but we won't see B26 in years.

• LuciusNightmareLuciusNightmare Posts: 244MI6 Agent

Anyone seen the Eternals trailer? Maybe Chloe Zhao is a genius as she's made Richard Madden look 6ft. Regardless, he's still a strong contender for the next 007. Though much will be dependent on his Marvel commitments.

• Royale-les-EauxRoyale-les-Eaux LondonPosts: 814MI6 Agent

he's also remaking Highlander..which seems gratuitous...there can be only one!

• LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,988Quartermasters

I would certainly agree that a "Highlander" gig probably takes Cavill out of the speculative Bond picture (more;s the pity, in my opinion).

Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • LuciusNightmareLuciusNightmare Posts: 244MI6 Agent

Rege-Jean Page has commented on Bond rumours in a new Variety cover. The fact he's on the cover of Variety only further cements his ascent to the A-list. He also has the benefit of not being too big a name. I have to admit that the more I see of this gentleman, the more I like him......He just seems a little too obvious a choice after Craig shook things up. Perhaps Amazon want someone more dependable going into the next era. Perhaps it's the eyebrows, but he reminds me of Sean Connery.

Interesting, there was (and still is ) Craig....Turner, Madden, Page. James Bond is shrinking. Personally, I have no problem with that ( I only wish I was as tall as any of those gentlemen) . The only one of that group who is slightly below average height is Madden. Just an observation on an unusually cold and rainy day in May.

edited May 2021

Ignore the quote at the top.....not what I was going to comment on.

Anyway, with regards to what Gymkata said about Page. For me, the question is not one of race, ethnicity, etc. The issue is, is the actor the right choice for Bond? From what little I have seen of Page, I don't know if he is the right fit period. There is something a bit "lightweight" and manufactured about him. If you are going to have a non-white Bond, they still need to be right for the role.

I haven't seen a single episode of Briderton yet, but from what I hear it's a good "Roger Moore school". Neither have I seen his performance in Roots, but my impression is that he plays a charmer/trickster type there too. But I see no "Munich", no "The Long Good Friday", no "Layer Cake" and no "Tomb Raider" in his resymè. I'd like to see a standout drama and/or a good action film performance from Rege before he joins my list of favourite Bond candidates.

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent

Yes, I haven't seen him in anything yet. I would have thought they'd want someone who has proven themselves in movie roles, ideally starring. They haven't cast anyone who hasn't done that in 50-odd years, and it seems even more crucial to get someone who has been tested now they're so expensive to make.

edited June 2021

That's much of the problem with casting the next Bond: EON needs to know the actor has what it takes to be a movie star, but he shouldn't be an establised leading man and movie star. One way to go is to cast someone who has started in smaller movies and had supporting roles in big movies. That was DC's background and maybe Ed Skrein is a current example. The other solution is to cast a big TV star with some movie experience, much like Roger Moore and Pierce Brosnan. Aidan Turner is an example of this today.