Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

Comments

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent

Brosnan was starring in movies to be fair to him: straight to video rubbish mostly at that point but he had proven himself as a star. Turner is yet to lead any films to any great extent really.

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,699MI6 Agent

I'd say his main roles in the cinema before GE were "The Fourth Protocol" and "Mrs Doubtfire". I may be wrong, but I think the rest was TV straight to video and perhaps some minor cinema movies. He didn't play the lead in Protocol or Doubtfire, even though he played important parts. In my opinion Brosnan's movie career was probably better than Tuner's is today, but not a proven movie star.

edited June 2021

Well Lawnmower Man as well, and although they were straight to video he was being a bona fide leading man in Death Train, Night Watch, Taffin, Live Wire etc. If you wanted to see how he would perform in a movie those were ample proof that he had the star power.

To be honest I think Fourth Protocol is proof enough on its own that he could have starred in Living Daylights and done just fine, possibly better. I'm not even a massive fan of Brosnan as Bond but I think he's an effective movie star and has plenty of charisma, and sometimes that's all you need.

If memory serves The Fourth Protocol was a good spy thriller and Brosnan was an effective adversery in it. But saying straight to video movies like Lawnmover Man proved he had star power, I don't think so.

edited June 2021

It was a cinema release: went to no.2 at the box office when it was released after Wayne's World.

The (many) films that he starred in showed he could lead movies: there's not really much doubt of that. He wasn't even significantly different in Night Watch to how he was in GoldenEye.

Was Lawnmover Man number two at the box office? (or are you refering to The Fourth Protocol)

Lawnmower Man, yes. Fourth Protocol came out in 1987 so wouldn't have been up against Wayne's World 😁

I did absolutly not know that (I considered for a moment claiming I already knew it, but it was clearly too late 😆)

• ichaiceichaice LondonPosts: 593MI6 Agent

I think I went to see Lawnmower Man at the Cinema 😱

Yes. Considerably!
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent

Me too. My brother and I have always been fans of Pierce so this was a must see at the time. Not the best film it has to be said😊

I actually met Jeff Fahey a couple of years ago following a theatre performance in London, and a nicer man you couldn't meet👍️

"Any of the opposition around..?"

That's nice to hear 😊

Yes, I don't remember Lawnmower as being one I was desperate to revisit!

I feel no urge to watch it again. The Fourth Protocol on the other hand I'd like to revisit.

I'm going to admit something. I didn't know who Brosnan was before he was cast as Bond. Remington Steele wasn't on the TV here. I saw Landmover Man on DVD, but it didn't make much of an impression. He was in Mrs Doubtfire, but Robin Williams was the big star of that movie. I watched The Fourth Protocol on TV after GF. I can't back this up in any way, but it's possible most in this country didn't know his name before he was Bond. Are there other members like me out there, or am I alone in this?

Wikipedia says a commercial Norwegian TV station showed Remington Steele from 1988, but it wasn't well known. I wonder if this was the case in many other countries?

• HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,736MI6 Agent

I would say that in the USA, prior to Bond, Brosnan was an "A" lister when it came to TV because of Remington Steele but more of a "B" lister when it came to theatrical films. Lawnmower Man was a pretty big box office hit in the USA but I would think not because of Brosnan's box office appeal. That being said, I think Brosnan, post Bond, has become a much better actor and has done some very good films.

There is an episode of Community titled "Landmover maintainance and postnatal care" that's a parody of the tiny genere Landmover Man is probably the main example example of. 😂

I think Brosnan's fame in the US was an important reason for his casting, but I suspect that wasn't the case in some other countries.

I've just watched the (and my) first Remington Steele episode online. It's obvious why many saw him as a potential James Bond.

• Anthony66058Anthony66058 Posts: 3MI6 Agent

I would love to be Michael Fassbender, I love this guy <3

Fassbender was a very good candidate back in 2006, but now he's too old (44) and far too famous.

• superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent

Tom Bateman could be interesting.. perfect age 32!

Bateman should be screentested, I think.

Would agree on Bateman. Worth a screen test. He's one of those guys who can really look different depending on his hair style and facial hair. Have seen some pictures of Bateman with long sideburns (probably for a role).....not a good look for him.

Just an observation. Have been watching the show "Condor" with Max Irons, who has been mentioned as a possible Bond candidate. Decent actor but I was really surprised at how pudgy he was (a bit too thick around the middle for sure). They definitely try to hide it on the show. Irons is a big tall guy but they would need to get him leaned out for Bond.

• LuciusNightmareLuciusNightmare Posts: 244MI6 Agent

At an Emmy's roundtable, Rege-Jean Page is one of the numerous parties in attendance. Page is asked about Bond again. Chris Rock even makes a joke about Ryan Coogler directing (which isn't a bad idea). Though, it seems clear to me that Page really wants to be the next James Bond.

This isn't specifically aimed at Page (he was just answering a question) ....... but the more an actor talks publicly about wanting to get the Bond role, the less chance it seems they have of that happening. Of course the real kiss of death is when an Agent / Manager puts it out there. I think when an actor is truly being vetted and considered by EON, part of the requirement is that said actor keeps quiet about it.

In his defence, he really doesn't want to be asked the question. In the video interview, he actually seems a little annoyed that the interviewer is throwing out the unverified rumour. He's the first to throw it away. It's only in the written interview - when he's responding to a joke from Chris Rock - that is says "if" he becomes the new Bond, they are invited to the premiere. He is joking.

In any case, he's worth an audition. This picture alone could be released by Eon announcing him as the new Bond and I'd be totally convinced. It could be from his Bond audition. In fact it's from an Audi commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhRhlumHMb8

I've been lauding RJP's credentials for a while I know and I'm not budging. I saw the Audi advert for the first time last night and I'm still convinced he's right for the role and will get the role.

I've seen it play a few times on ITV during the Euros. Also, I noticed that yesterday Disney cast a Latina actress for Snow White. The new Little Mermaid is played by a black actress. Apparently, the new Superman will be black. So a trend is starting to emerge.

Speaking personally, I'm an audience member that wants diversity - especially when it comes to Bond. I'm very much rooting for Page.

To be honest I prefer James Bond to be white, but it's not a deal-breaker. RJP looks like the best non-white candidate so far.

I'm a forward thinking traditionalist. If I'm being honest I would prefer that too, Fleming's Bond was white (despite it never being printed as such, unless I'm mistaken). However I just think RJP ticks so many boxes (British. Right age. Tall, dark and handsome - 'nuff said😊) and is spot on in today's climate and will bring a freshness to the franchise. I actually see his mixed race as being a modern day interpretation of Fleming's Bond being half Scottish, half Swiss.👌

• Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,757MI6 Agent
    edited June 2021

This is more or less where I fit in as well. My issue with Paige is that he comes off as a bit soft. The guy makes Pierce Brosnan look like Charles Bronson.

Obviously I’m exaggerating a bit, but I’ve not seen anything out of Paige that indicates he has the toughness of Fleming’s Bond, Connery, Dalton, or Craig. I think that’s a requirement to play the role at this point.

• CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,446MI6 Agent

Rege-Jean Page checks a lot of boxes as a plausible Bond for the 2020s. But the dude doesn't have the manliest (natural) voice.