Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

Comments

• LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,988Quartermasters

Assuming Henry Cavill isn't the guy (more's the pity), I'm very much still in favor of a Tom Hiddleston interpretation of the role. He'd no doubt to a high-protein bulk-up for the role, but I like the idea of a wiry-lean, dangerous Bond who can deliver the wry dialogue whilst being utterly ruthless. Still my first choice.

Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent

Yes I would like to see Hiddleston as Bond aswell.. only 40… Dalton and Brosnan were around 42/43 when took on the role… Tom Cullen still my first choice though … Tom Bateman could be good also!

• Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,757MI6 Agent

I wonder when we’ll start to hear some concrete rumors? For me, Craig has felt like a lame duck Bond since before Spectre even came out in 2015. I guess a lot of it depends on whether EON decides to press ahead or cash out. Ironically, things may progress more quickly without EON’s involvement, but that is not necessarily a good thing.

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,699MI6 Agent
    edited September 2021

Even if EON has already chosen the next Bond (wildly optimistic, I know), we won't hear anything until NTTD has finished in cinemas, sold some DVDs/Bluerays and been available for streaming for a while. Next year at the earliest. It's suspenceful. For the first time we have a large group of the audience who feel Bond is somehow behind the times if the next Bond actor is a white straight man, and Lynch or Idris Elba were robbed of the big prize in NTTD. (I'd like to take this opurtunity to say we had a parliamentary election today and I didn't vote far right 😁)

Not that I'd mind if they find a non-white actor who has what it takes to be Bond. And both the audience and Bond can use a competing action franchise with a lead who's female, non-white, gay or all of the above. No need to stand on the sholders of gigants when you can be your own man or woman! 😃

• The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent

Although I haven't seen "Being James Bond", Barbara Broccoli reportedly says in it that she "...cannot imagine Bond after Daniel." To me, that suggests that whenever that interview was filmed, she certainly hadn't signed an actor to take over from DC at that point. She may have a short list of actors, but that's not the sort of comment you make if you've already signed someone.

As Number24 says (a leading candidate for the next Bond himself, although he's too modest to admit it!), EON won't want to overshadow NTTD in any way by revealing the next Bond until NTTD is done, dusted, and out on DVDs/Bluerays etc. So we're back to mid-to-late next year at the earliest, I would say.

I'm not familiar with Tom Ellis so this isn't a reference to him, but 42 years of age today is very different than 42 years of ago was 50 years ago. While I'm sure that EON would prefer an actor who has both maturity for the role and physical youth in order to have a long run of films, I think the quality of the actor for three films would be preferable to someone who perhaps lacks the qualities of the character but who would be able to do six films.

• Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,757MI6 Agent

Agreed—I don’t envision an official announcement for quite some time. I was thinking more about credible rumors (which you will recall preceded Craig’s casting all those years ago, and that was in a world far less prone to such things leaking).

As to your second point, there is indeed a vocal group calling for a non-white lead, and it might happen, but it’s far from a guarantee. And whether it happens or not it will ultimately all come down to the quality of the performance and of the film. The rest is just noise.

• Lady IceLady Ice Posts: 279MI6 Agent

I wouldn't be surprised if they went for someone who wasn't white; whoever they pick, they'll need to add something to the role. It can't just be an imitation of Craig.

• MAGR007MAGR007 Posts: 80MI6 Agent
    edited September 2021

Sacha Baron Cohen would be a great choice

• HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,736MI6 Agent

Well he did play a spy in that Netflix series and he was quite good; but that was really about an "everyman" who was turned into a spy.

Realistically, I don't believe Baron-Cohen to be a good fit to play Bond but he'd make a great villain, in particular a villain who takes on different disguises or personas to take advantage of his great ability as a character actor. He would also make a great "Q" but that would almost be a waste. I see Baron-Cohen as a contemporary Peter Sellers (which is high praise).

• SnorpleySnorpley Posts: 86MI6 Agent
    edited September 2021

I've perused a few of the shortlists in the last week or so. I could really get behind Jamie Bell as Bond. Lot's of good dudes to choose from.

Edit: He may not have the stature. Hmm

...a brother from Sydney
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent

Josh O' Connor looking quite Bondian here;

Right age and height. Needs to bulk up a bit. Could see them returning to a dark haired actor and starting things afresh with someone like him.

"Any of the opposition around..?"

Des O'Connor.

Josh o'Connor has the right age and height, but he comes across as mild and posh. He just looks like a kind man in most photos of him, so I don't see any of the treath that lies under the surface with Bond. o'Connor may be such a good actor he can conway that if need be, but so far I haven't seen it.

• Royale-les-EauxRoyale-les-Eaux LondonPosts: 814MI6 Agent

Not sure if any of you know him, but there’s this British actor called Daniel Craig, he’d be amazing!

also Nicholas Hoult.

I think both Craig and o'Connor's ears are standing out too much. 😉

• Jflynn2112Jflynn2112 Posts: 68MI6 Agent

Not mentally ready for the next Bond to be in his 30s.

• SilentSpySilentSpy Private Exotic AreaPosts: 765MI6 Agent

I wanted Nolan to direct. But I think his next movie is right in the timeline for the next Bond movie around 2024. If the guy from Omega is right.

I wouldn't trust anyone else to direct a Bond movie for a consistent series.

I really don't think the next actor to play Bond matters at this point.

"Better late than never."
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent

Also already too old, assuming 2024 as a minimum and the desire to get at least 3 films from the new guy

Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent

Very good actor maybe lacking the toughness, but agree that EON need to 'throw us a freaking bone here' by casting a TDH type.

Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • Jflynn2112Jflynn2112 Posts: 68MI6 Agent

If Nolan is directing the new Bond, it’ll be Tom Hardy. Which will probably prevent Nolan from Directing it.

I guess everyone has seen BB's statement saying she won't begin the search for the next Bond until 2022. She wants to give Craig time to celebrate. I think it makes sense to wait until then with meeting other actors, screentests and such. But I hope EON has discussed actors, making notes and lists of interesting actors and other passive in-house meassures.

• writingsonthewallwritingsonthewall SpainPosts: 417MI6 Agent

I'm sure they have done that, Number24. After all, there were several instances of potential candidates being chosen at a later date (both Brosnan and Moore, if I don't recall incorrectly).

Ran into an interesting piece in Tatler regarding the next Bond and, while they do deal with the obvious choices and the highly-rumoured-but-actually-impossible ones, I think I'm putting my money on Nicholas Hoult:

Back to dark-haired, hint of danger, classy, likable for today's audiences.

And no, I'm not ready to have a Bond younger than I am.

Finally, I do hope they give us a Nomi series, and that Nolan does not get near the character ever. The thing I disliked the most about Skyfall was its Nolan wannabe tone. And I personally despise the man's discourse and writing. Were he only going to direct, then I would be ok with it.

"Enjoy it while it lasts."
    "The very words I live by."
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,172MI6 Agent

I am probably in a minority here, but I was very impressed with Tahar Rahim in The Serpent. I know he isn't a first language English speaker, but you barely noticed. He scrubs up well.

• bainesy1usbainesy1us Posts: 42MI6 Agent

Must admit i loved Lashana Lynch's character and her performance. I wouldnt rule out seeing her again as a standalone film but it wouldnt be a James Bond film

• Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent

Compared to say Anya Amasova, I thought Nomi’s character was a bit of a non-starter in terms of 00-agent initiative and resourcefulness…

"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • Virgil37Virgil37 Posts: 1,212MI6 Agent

Michael Fassbender. Nolan directing. Please, forwards this time.

• SnorpleySnorpley Posts: 86MI6 Agent

I like Aaron Taylor-Johnson. Commander Ives in Tenet so he’d make a Nolan-directed shortlist probably.

...a brother from Sydney
  • bainesy1usbainesy1us Posts: 42MI6 Agent

I thought it was a character worth evolving. They were never going to make her Bonds equally (didnt want upstage DC) but was pretty funny, charismatic and good looking i thought.

Nomi is clearly a much better fighter and more rescourceful than Amasova. Does Amasove even shoot anybody or beat them up? As I remember she mainly waved her pistol around and did the "karate hands" pose. She did knock out Bond with that powder, but not that much more. TSWLM is a great movie and my favourite Moore Bond, but I think Nomi is far more rescourceful.