Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    +1 for Aidan Turner. In Poldark there was an
    Episode when he had to expose a card cheat.
    Very Bond -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,743MI6 Agent
    I've become a proponent of Aiden Turner as a Bond candidate also after seeing him in several seasons of Poldark. He reminds me of Timothy Dalton but much more capable of delivering some humor to the role. Turner can be the charming rake but also has that cold blooded killer thing too which IMO would work very well for the contemporary Bond. Behind that charming facade is a man capable of acts of extreme violence when duty calls. Turner appears to be around the same height as Craig but I think he can be shot to appear taller, especially in contemporary tailored garb as opposed to the 17th century wardrobe he wears in Poldark.
  • Bmorelli11Bmorelli11 Posts: 197MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    I've become a proponent of Aiden Turner as a Bond candidate also after seeing him in several seasons of Poldark. He reminds me of Timothy Dalton but much more capable of delivering some humor to the role. Turner can be the charming rake but also has that cold blooded killer thing too which IMO would work very well for the contemporary Bond. Behind that charming facade is a man capable of acts of extreme violence when duty calls. Turner appears to be around the same height as Craig but I think he can be shot to appear taller, especially in contemporary tailored garb as opposed to the 17th century wardrobe he wears in Poldark.

He's listed at 6', but who knows if that's being generous and giving him an inch or two. He's certainly not shorter than Daniel Craig.
    You're that English secret agent from England | Instagram: @matchedperfectly | Web: www.matchedperfectly.us
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,930MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    I've seen The Man From Uncle and it's a big reason I'm not sold on Cavill as Bond. I really dislike the film and found Cavill lacking...there's just something "cardboard" about Cavill. He's more convincing in one of his magazine adverts in tux than on screen.
    I didn't like him as Napoleon Solo or as Superman. His style may be more appropriate to an alien impersonating a human, but Superman is supposed to show humanity, not alien-ness. Now they're contrasting him with Batman in the films, the underlying joke (at least its done this way in the comics) should be that Superman has more humanity than Batman. But DC Comics films really seem to have no clue what theyre doing in general.
    In the Man From UNCLE, he plays the part like he's doing a parody of a 60s spy series. Almost like Dan Aykroyd style acting. But I have issues with that director. He also made King Arthur shortly after, and that was a really ugly film.Both those films were completely artificial looking, showing off their technical gee-whizzery at the expense of any recognisable storytelling. I haven't seen Guy Ritchie's older films but from these two recent examples I don't want to.
    So to be fair, judging Cavill by either film may be wrong, as whatever acting chops he may or not have are definitely undermined in both cases by the filmmakers.

Bmorelli11 wrote:
    And Then There Were None is absolutely worth watching for his performance. It's an excellent cast all the way around.
    I see that's another Agatha Christie adaptation. Aside form Aidan Turner, better or worse than Branagh's Orient Express? that's another recent film I thought sacrificed storytelling for technical flash.
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,758MI6 Agent
    +1 for Aidan Turner. In Poldark there was an
    Episode when he had to expose a card cheat.
    Very Bond -{

That’s a great episode. He even feigns intoxication, which had me thinking of the novel Moonraker the whole time!

I wish Turner was doing 25, but I’d settle for 26. Sadly, I doubt we ever see him as Bond.
  • Bmorelli11Bmorelli11 Posts: 197MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    I've seen The Man From Uncle and it's a big reason I'm not sold on Cavill as Bond. I really dislike the film and found Cavill lacking...there's just something "cardboard" about Cavill. He's more convincing in one of his magazine adverts in tux than on screen.
    I didn't like him as Napoleon Solo or as Superman. His style may be more appropriate to an alien impersonating a human, but Superman is supposed to show humanity, not alien-ness. Now they're contrasting him with Batman in the films, the underlying joke (at least its done this way in the comics) should be that Superman has more humanity than Batman. But DC Comics films really seem to have no clue what theyre doing in general.
    In the Man From UNCLE, he plays the part like he's doing a parody of a 60s spy series. Almost like Dan Aykroyd style acting. But I have issues with that director. He also made King Arthur shortly after, and that was a really ugly film.Both those films were completely artificial looking, showing off their technical gee-whizzery at the expense of any recognisable storytelling. I haven't seen Guy Ritchie's older films but from these two recent examples I don't want to.
    So to be fair, judging Cavill by either film may be wrong, as whatever acting chops he may or not have are definitely undermined in both cases by the filmmakers.

Bmorelli11 wrote:
    And Then There Were None is absolutely worth watching for his performance. It's an excellent cast all the way around.
    I see that's another Agatha Christie adaptation. Aside form Aidan Turner, better or worse than Branagh's Orient Express? that's another recent film I thought sacrificed storytelling for technical flash.

Far better than the recent Murder on the Orient Express! If I had not read the Orient Express book I would have been totally lost, it was very sloppy story telling although I did enjoy Kenneth Branagh's portrayal of Poirot. Watch And Then There Were None, I truly think you'll enjoy the whole thing not just Aiden Turner, it's extremely well done.
    You're that English secret agent from England | Instagram: @matchedperfectly | Web: www.matchedperfectly.us
  • Bond fan from OzBond fan from Oz Posts: 88MI6 Agent
    My first preference would be Orlando Bloom; Michael Fassbender second.
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    My first preference would be Orlando Bloom; Michael Fassbender second.
    Orlando Bloom is far too old and unfortunately I think Michael Fassbender is as well even though he's my top choice.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,218Chief of Staff
    +1, I agree (that is I agree they're both too old now). Aidan Turner (aged 34)!
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,765MI6 Agent
    #HimToo?
    What is he accused of doing, and to whom?
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,930MI6 Agent
    given some of the trendy, revisionist critique of the Bond character we have debated lately, maybe that'd be a qualification for getting the character right.

just joshing, sort of. I was going to say I don't even know the actor, but I just looked him up in Wikipedia and I've seen him in quite a bit. Inglorious Basturds. Magneto in the X-Men prequels. And the evil android in the recent Alien sequels. He's very good. Lets not settle for mediocre actors just because the good ones have problematic personal lives.
    I am always puzzled by these "serious thespians" who we assume are "above" slumming in a Bond film and then they turn up in (using Fassbender as an example) Assassin's Creed or this Kung Fury. Despite the wrist cutting quote, no matter what your opinion of Craig as Bond might be at least he has always respected the role, put his all into it and is just as responsible as anyone in elevating the role and series to another level, when it comes to the critics and serious film folks. Of course compared to all the superhero stuff and other mindless, mind numbing action "films" that flood cinemas these days, Craig's Bond is more akin to George Smylie or Alec Leamus.
    Serious thespians have been all over these more recent Bond-films, starting with Judi Dench.
    And they love doing the comic book films. Big paycheck, big exposure, and a chance to let loose and really chew up the scenery.

think of J K Simmons winning an Oscar for Whiplash: he'd already done most of those moves as J Jonah Jameson in Spider-Man a decade earlier!
    I'm watching Kenneth Brannagh's "Murder on the Orient express" for the second time, this time on DVD.
    This time I noticed Tom Bateman in a supporting role, an actor who's unknown to me. He has classic leading man looks, he's tall and he's 29 years old. It's actors like him they should look at when they cast James Bond in a few years. Actors born before 1980 will be too old at that time, and to get many movies out of him he would ideally be born late in the decade or even in the very early 90's.
    Then I looked at other suitable actors at that age:

Aaron Taylor-Johnson (1990)

Oliver Jackson Cohen (1986)

Nicolas Hough (1989)

James Norton (1985)

Max Irons (1985)

What do you think?
  • Arbogast 777Arbogast 777 Minneapolis Posts: 595MI6 Agent
    He’s an American, but I’d at least like them to screentest Aaron Tveit. He’ll be 39 in 2022. Perfect age. If you’ve seen Les Mis he can do the accent just fine...
    C1091_F13-_AD59-48_C7-8_C24-1_EC1_AB53_D7_A6.jpg
    edited April 2018
    I don't want an American to play Bond, but Tveit sounds Norwegian..... perhaps he could be all right :v
  • SomeoneSomeone Posts: 1,543MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    I'm watching Kenneth Brannagh's "Murder on the Orient express" for the second time, this time on DVD.
    This time I noticed Tom Bateman in a supporting role, an actor who's unknown to me. He has classic leading man looks, he's tall and he's 29 years old. It's actors like him they should look at when they cast James Bond in a few years. Actors born before 1980 will be too old at that time, and to get many movies out of him he would ideally be born late in the decade or even in the very early 90's.

Nicolas Hough (1989)

James Norton (1985)

Max Irons (1985)

What do you think?

I think James Norton would be good after seeing him in McMafia.
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:

Nicolas Hough (1989)

James Norton (1985)

Max Irons (1985)

What do you think?

Bateman looks credible in the classic mould. I would expect EON to go against type again after the success of Daniel. Dan has been so successful that he may well have recast the mould. It will be fascinating to see which way they go.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
    Someone wrote:
    I think James Norton would be good after seeing him in McMafia.

I had heard of Norton through some posts on AJB as a possible Bond candidate so I made sure to watch McMafia .
    I like the show and I like Norton in the show but have some reservations about his being Bond. As far as looks, no problem.
    Norton is one of those guys who can put on a tux, have a still photo taken and the first thing you say is "James Bond". The problem
    is when he moves. The guy just has no grace and appears ungainly. Part of it may be attributable to his physical build....he has thick
    slightly knocked kneed legs, slightly wide hips and a smallish upper body and shoulders. Now I could be completely wrong about
    Norton. He may be purposely playing his Ivy League educated investment banker would-be neophyte gangster as awkward and
    physically stiff (it really works for the role) and capable of moving on screen with the grace and athleticism that is needed to be
    convincing as Bond.
  • SomeoneSomeone Posts: 1,543MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    Now I could be completely wrong about Norton. He may be purposely playing his Ivy League educated investment banker would-be neophyte gangster as awkward and physically stiff (it really works for the role) and capable of moving on screen with the grace and athleticism that is needed to be convincing as Bond.

I agree with this. I think he was playing subtle and intelligent because the Russians were emotional and aggressive.
  • james362001james362001 Lancaster, California USAPosts: 338MI6 Agent
    I could see James Scott as "James Bond 007". He use to play "EJ Dimera" on Days of Our Lives.
    James_Scott_days34.jpg

james-scott-14.jpg
  • JG007JG007 Manchester , United KingdomPosts: 276MI6 Agent
    Quite like the look of Oliver Jackson Cohen.

Of course alot of the role is very much body language and how the actor carries himself.

Im sure pre rumours of Craig, a lot of us wouldn't have put him in the frame until he rumours gathered pace.
    All we can go off is the look of the actor and hope that hes played Bond like characters in other roles in which we can compare but going off pure looks for me Oliver Jackson Cohen looks like he could pull the role off.

It'll be interesting to see how things pan out and timescales. We all love a Bond film and i would stress that once the new actor is in place or even if behind the scenes the transition is already in place that we see the Bond 26 by Nov 2021!
    Sooner rather than later would be important for the transition.

-{
  • DanielCDanielC Posts: 65MI6 Agent
    Scott certainly have the looks, yet almost too soft and buoyant appearance in my opinion. Roger Moore, even though I never thought of him as a proper choice, managed to pull it off so I guess Scott could as well. However, he's almost 40 and would probably be too old for Bond 26.
    Looking for a ROYALE Filmwear Talamone Shawl Collar Cardigan, size medium. Preferably in Europe, but the US would work as well. Feel free to send a PM!
    Henry Cavill is interviewed in the latest issue of Empire Magazine.

Q: You've done Man from UNCLE, MI and you were nearly Bond. Are you doing a Grand Tour of the Spy franchises?

HC: That would be fun. I think the idea of doing Bond is.... I know the idea of playing Bond is one that really ticles me. I think that would be enormous fun. It all depends on who the people up top want. I'm sure they will be making decisions in the next couple of years about who the next Bond is. Hopefully I'm at least on their list.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,218Chief of Staff
    All these threads and long words are confusing to me.... :#
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    Does anyone think it's possible that Daniel Craig will remain bond for #26?
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
    Someone does.... :v
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    Jarvio wrote:
    Does anyone think it's possible that Daniel Craig will remain bond for #26?

I’d say the potential is definitely there. It’ll probably depend on how B25 goes critically and commercially (he’s said he wants to end on a high) as well if the script’s ending even leaves it open for another one from him – you never know what Hodge has/will come up with.

Of course it also depends on whether or not Craig feels like he’d be up for/still able to manage another round of pre Bond training and all the work that goes into filming Bond. I’m sure he can keep up with Ethan Hunt though...trailers and featuretes for MI: Fallout have shown that Cruise definitely has no signs of slowing down with the big budget action and he’s currently the age (55) DC will be when B26 comes out, if they stick with the 4 year gap.
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    I don't think he'd want to do 26. The comparison with Cruise is interesting but Cruise to me seems to be aging better.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.