AJB live commentary on Die Another Day

1789101113»

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,345Chief of Staff
    Number24 wrote:
    Shady Tree wrote:
    It was an enormous commercial success, but there were concerns at the time that CGI was inimical to the Bond ethos of doing it for real. One misjudged sequence, in particular - the digitised surfing - became the take-away focus of complaint and perhaps eclipsed, in a bad way, an awful lot of genuine and genuinely good stunt work elsewhere in the movie.

The Broccolis had wanted Apted again, but when MGM vetoed him and they got Tamahori instead, they backed many of his key decisions... including on CGI, perhaps against their better judgement.

I wonder what we would have got with Apted.

007 Up.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,798MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    If they kept much of the structure but removed the worst, such as Madonna, the invisible car, the bad CGI, Robocop, the surfing in Iceland, self induced cardiac arrest, Jinx' lines and some more …… and replaced it with someting good DAD could have been a solid entry.

That's the sad thing. It wouldn't have taken much.

Not in the plot structure, no.
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    edited April 2020
    There certainly hasn’t been enough gifs posted in this thread...particularly of one femme fatale, but I guess we can have some of other parts of the movie as well. Gymkata you’re up!
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,798MI6 Agent
    Excelent GIFs that highlight what's best in DAD -{
  • Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,969MI6 Agent
    Nice work, Gymkata! :-)
    Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
    Only a measly 7 out of the 9 photos/gifs are of Pike...what in the world is going on?! :o

JK, thanks Gym -{
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Pike on her Peak!

Thanks, Gymkata!
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    I was keen for some more Pike, so I decided to do a rewatch of Gone Girl...which was probably a mistake—I completely forgot how much of a psychopath she is in it :s
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,590Chief of Staff
    JTM wrote:
    What were the thoughts on this when it came out back in ‘02? I know the CGI is something that hasn’t held up over the years but back on release, was it an issue?

I went to watch this with another person from these boards…we both walked out at the end, looked at each other…and said ’What the fcuk was that?’

First time I’d ever been disappointed by a Bond film... :#
    YNWA 97
  • Spy⁰⁰⁷Spy⁰⁰⁷ Posts: 18MI6 Agent
    I think if the ice Palace was more of a Mysterious Lair, it's mystique might have helped DAD to an extent....even if it's not entirely.
    Only after doing a bit of reading post rewatch of this did I realise that Toby Stephens is Maggie Smith’s son! :o This may have been common knowledge for the rest of you blokes, but even with years and years of seeing those two in films, I still remained oblivious.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,345Chief of Staff
    I'm sure I mentioned that above, but am not reading back through 17 pages to make certain!
    Barbel wrote:
    I'm sure I mentioned that above, but am not reading back through 17 pages to make certain!

Yes! I could have phrased it better but that’s what I meant by “after doing a bit of reading post rewatch of this (thread)”. Must have missed the post during the live chat but caught it when rereading. So thanks Barbel—that was something I never knew before!