Re: Bond Book of the Month

ajb007/lol  Yes, when I'm finished  I'll only ever read Fleming again.  ajb007/biggrin

There's a scene in SOLO where JB is showering and is disturbed by a nurse. Boyd remarks how perfectly normal it was for the nurse who talked about her holidays and how cold it was.

Now one knows for certain in Benson's hands the nurse would have been double-taking and hyper ventilating at the enormity hanging toward JB's knees...

You could always rely on RB to write like an awestruck fanboy when it came to Bond's sexual prowess. And a pretty limited writer the rest of the time.

I agree. I never rated Benson as a writer.

Never dream of dying.
    Bond gets to meet the head of the Union ( villains in the last two books)
After a disaster of a raid on a film studio. Bond eventually meets up with
A corrupt film producer.  An old ally, some dodgy gadget laden underwater
One man sub, and action sequences clearly meant for the cinema screen.
Some nice locations, but still far removed from the work of Fleming. An
Average thriller, and for me the annoyance of an old Fleming character
Being reintroduced but as an enemy to Bond. I wish that hadn't been used as
An idea for the book.
As a book to pass a few hours on a flight or train journey, it would pass the time
but not a story you'd return to often.
Next up, The man with the red tattoo.

Last edited by Thunderpussy (25th Aug 2015 01:45)

I can't emphasise just how much I detest Never Dream of Dying....that book and COLD are the only Bond books I've only read twice... ajb007/mad

YNWA 96

The Unbearables

While NDOD is total rubbish, the basic conceit behind it - as well as that behind DOUBLESHOT - actually has some potential.

There is a story there wherein You Know Who plans to revenge himself in a mid 60s setting after discovering JB is back in London after Japan-Russia-London-Jamaica.

Naturally Benson's silliness about JB wipping out of You Know Who's second family as well(!!!!) would have had no place, and You Know Who's revenge based only on grief and anger after You Know What.

Would it have still jarred, dramatically contradicted IF's - though unwritten - intention? Probably.

David Schofield wrote:

While NDOD is total rubbish, the basic conceit behind it - as well as that behind DOUBLESHOT - actually has some potential.

NDOD - I just feel 'dirty' reading it...and not in a good way  ajb007/wink Nothing in it makes sense to me...I actually think Doubleshot is Benson's best Bond book...

YNWA 96

The Unbearables

Much as I've tried to defend Benson, I have to agree with what TP said above.

Yes, the Benson Novels aren't amazing  ajb007/crap

1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger

The Man with the Red Tattoo,
The last of the R Benson novels and published in 2002. Once again it reads like
a script for a Bond film, especially as in some other books, Benson seems to
dress Bond in the same clothes as P Brosnan.
    Once again Bond returns to Japan to stop a nasty virus spreading. Meets up
again with an old friend but sadly it reads like a series of set pieces strung together
with a bit of travelog infomation, not the skilled and entertaining writing of Fleming.
  All in all, I find Benson a very disapointing writer for Bond, he had a few good ideas,
but then adds some outlandish gadget or " set piece" which then destroys the illusion.
  This now leaves only Carte Blance to go, a modern Bond for todays world ?

I still need to get back to the Benson Books at some Point.

1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger

After my trip down memory lane through all the Bonds. I think
only the Fleming's and a few of the continuing novels will be read
by me again.  Amis, a couple of the early Gardner's and hopefully the
new Horowitz. The Benson's will only be there to fill the bookshelves.  ajb007/wink

I recently found Carte Blanch in a local Charity Shop, and it's an interesting Experiment on the Literary Canon  ajb007/martini

AlphaOmegaSin wrote:

I recently found Carte Blanch in a local Charity Shop, and it's an interesting Experiment on the Literary Canon  ajb007/martini

It really isn't, AOS

A "James Bond" novel wherein no pretence is made to include Ian Fleming's James Bond is not a James Bond novel

To be honest, I haven't read much of CB. So I can't really give my Views on it. I know that it's not amazing though.

It's amazing how IFP gave Deaver Permission to completely throw out everything that had been established before.

AlphaOmegaSin wrote:

To be honest, I haven't read much of CB. So I can't really give my Views on it. I know that it's not amazing though.

Ah. Unsurprising.

Carte Blanche :
   Bond in a modern setting. Now a non smoker and like many teens these days dependent on his
Mobile phone ( He does use it a lot ). I loved the early set up of the villain, with a taste for necrophilia!
I quite liked CB, it's not a great book or story and like many of the continuing writers Boyd tries to be a
bit too clever at times. It has some interesting characters, but with the last big reveal near the end. I
felt a bit disappointed.  The ending ( Trying to avoid any spoilers) is almost as if Bond was the secret Services
answer to Harry Potter, the Boy born to be a spy.  ajb007/biggrin
  So there we have it all the Bond books read through Bond's time line, so what have I learned ?
Best to read the Flemings as published. You can see Fleming grow in confidence as a writer, and Bond
grow in stature as a character. From young agent, to brooding almost burnt out field officer. So many
brilliant characters both good and evil fill those books, I'll certainly be reading them again many times.
   As for the continuing authors, Col Sun is almost as good as the Flemings and fits well with the Fleming
novels. The first six or so Gardners are entertaining but the quality soon falls away, almost as a mirror of
Fleming's life John Gardner's later years were filled with ill health.
  Benson's Books are basically Movie tie ins for films that were never made, Nothing to do with the Novels,
totally inspired by the Films. and Books that I'll never revisit.
  The other Celebrity authors work, Solo. I hated so boring. Devil May Care, gets off to a good start, and I
did quite like it, Good villain and Plan, But the last third of the book lets it down.
  It's been fun and it leaves the way open to begin the lates Continuing Book " Trigger Mortis" by Antony
Horowitz, which I happly picked up today and will start this evening.  ajb007/martini

Just started Carte Blanche.  Expecting to be disappointed but 9 chapters in and im quite enjoying it..... so far!!

Unlike reading Fleming I am kind of seeing DC as Bond when reading this modern version.   

Early days

Last edited by welshboy78 (12th Sep 2015 23:58)

Instagram - bondclothes007

Yes, Me too. I could see DC when reading Carte Blanche.

Well I hammered through Carte Blanche - enjoyed it since it didn't try to be like Fleming and the actual story was quite enjoyable in the modern setting.  It was a bit too long in my opinion and prob a few too many twists (felt like nearly every character ended up as a villain).  He appeared to use his mobile for everything which also got a little too tedious but overall I was not bored like Solo.

Well since I finishing Fleming I have read the following continuation novels and prob rank them in the following order:

Trigger Mortis - Highly enjoyable, not all but a huge chunk felt very Fleming.  A  good villain (though simple plot)

Col Sun - Nice adventure and got off with a bang!!  The middle section had a bit of a lull for me but the end picked up well!

Carte Blanche - Not very Fleming at all but I enjoyed the modern take and the twists and turns (though a tad too long)

Devil May Care - Enjoyable but dare I say the writing felt a bit "school-like" and tried far too hard with the Fleming references

Solo - started off quite Bondish but took a dive into a war zone and didn't seem like Bond at all to me - difficult to get through, hated it.

I pretty much agree with your list, maybe change Col Sun and
Trigger Mortis. ( I'll have to read TM, a couple of more times).

Did toy with starting the Gardners (think it is 30 quid for all 16 digital) but think ive read too many books lately (I normally only read a couple of novels a year)

I'd say only the first six Gardner's are worth reading, the rest
Get a bit repetitive, I really like them. As at the time ( early 80s)
He renewed Bond for the times. Although it's funny reading them
now, as they are set as far back in the past as the Fleming books
when I first started reading them.
   No mobile phones, Bond is always looking for a phone box, or
Attaching something to a hotel phone to scramble the call. Which
Was so big he'd have to hide it in the car.  ajb007/biggrin  How times have changed.

Trigger Mortis :
  In short, I loved it  ajb007/martini , I  think the time period really suits Bond, Horowitz did
a great job at capturing some of Fleming's writing style, and gives us a good
solid story. With an interesting villian's plot.
   He also gives us a sexy leading lady with a cute name,  a good villain and
an exciting third act. Although the last fight ? Seems to be a hangover from
the movies.
  Still to round off my travels through the Bond books, it was very enjoyable.

Thunderpussy wrote:

Trigger Mortis :
  In short, I loved it  ajb007/martini , I  think the time period really suits Bond, Horowitz did
a great job at capturing some of Fleming's writing style, and gives us a good
solid story. With an interesting villian's plot.
   He also gives us a sexy leading lady with a cute name,  a good villain and
an exciting third act. Although the last fight ? Seems to be a hangover from
the movies.
  Still to round off my travels through the Bond books, it was very enjoyable.

Well... I'm pleased to hear this: I've been a bit apprehensive about reading this, wondering how much I would like it.  Is this the 1950s-set one?  If so, I'd also say that I think that this era (and also the 1960s) suits Bond very well...