Random Chat!!! (All Welcome!)

Comments

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,568Chief of Staff
    Barbel wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

I live near Manchester

...hence the joke at http://www.ajb007.co.uk/post/867472/#p867472

Ah...I only read those once they are completed -{

They are excellent...and very funny {[]
    YNWA 97
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,317Chief of Staff
    On behalf of TP, C&D, N24, et al- thank you!
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Those cameos do exhaust me :#
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    :D 2 in "Raker of Moons", 5 in "Permission To Slay"...
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    I think Higgins has the honour of having the most Shakespearian cameos :007)
    Barbel wrote:
    :D 2 in "Raker of Moons", 5 in "Permission To Slay"...

3 in LTS :v

LTS? Do you mean PTS, our version of LTK? 5 cameos- naturally we put in more to, er, celebrate your love for this film and its star.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,568Chief of Staff
    Barbel wrote:
    LTS? Do you mean PTS, our version of LTK? 5 cameos- naturally we put in more to, er, celebrate your love for this film and its star.

Indeed...it brought a tear to his eye :))
    YNWA 97
    :D 6 cameos now...
    edited February 2017
    Number24 wrote:
    I don't think I'm contradicting myself. I define no-go areas as areas where police and other emergency services can't operate freely and other anti- state groups have de facto power. Aftonbladet managed to deny no-go areas without lying: they said the police can go there, but they forgot to mention that they always bring or wear riot gear and criminal gangs rule those suburbs. How would you define no-go areas? (it's nice to use the same definitions :) )

I have made it very clear that not all immigrants are not criminals. I wrote that most refugees who entered Sweden in the last wave are law-abiding. When I was referring to criminal immigrants I wrote about gangs etc. so I think my choice of words have been accurate and I have distinguished between criminal immigrants and the general immigrant population.

When the suburbs we are talking about are pretty much dominated by immigrants it's also an issue of integration and immigration. There are other factors like economy and employment, naturally. I think Sweden could have let in the number of immigrants they did and still avoided much of the problems they face today. One example is the Swedish system of housing refugees. When they are processed in the reception centers they only need a written confirmation from a Swedish citizen that they have room for them and they are sent away. As a result immigrants end up in the houses of people of the same ethnic group, the entire floor-space covered by mattresses at night. They have no apartment of their own, no coordination with schools etc. The result is often ghettoes.
    In the other Nordic countries I understand the system is sending them to municipalities all around the country after securing apartments, places in schools for them etc.

Coming back to the "riots" in Sweden.
    CNN made a pretty good report about that - see link below.

What is true is, that swedish rightwingers are trying for years to fuel up these stories along their own agenda - mostly in social media. Here we have it again - echo chambers.

The criminality along all kinds of immigrants did not rise in Sweden over the last 3 years, but xenophobic crime against those people went up over 80% then.

I don't dispute that immigration is a challenge on many levels - but we owe our best efforts to solve them in order to help refugees - who came in that situation after the US destabilized an entire continent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDbrbUnJ9k8

I think the CNN report was very good and I recomend that people watch it.
    I never said the recent wave of refugees has led to an increase in crime. The problems Sweden face are a result of a very liberal immigration policy over several decades combined with a partly failed integration policy. Unemployment, problems with school and other factors are also important. Sadly Sweden is stuck with the "mainstream" parties that refuse to talk about the challenges of immigration and the SwedenDemocrats (SD), a party so far to the right the other parties (often quite rightly) refuse to work with.
    I don't see why you use these "" around the word riots. Please explain. (and if someone could "remind" me of what the signs are called in English ..... that would be nice :) )
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    I don't think I'm contradicting myself. I define no-go areas as areas where police and other emergency services can't operate freely and other anti- state groups have de facto power. Aftonbladet managed to deny no-go areas without lying: they said the police can go there, but they forgot to mention that they always bring or wear riot gear and criminal gangs rule those suburbs. How would you define no-go areas? (it's nice to use the same definitions :) )

I have made it very clear that not all immigrants are not criminals. I wrote that most refugees who entered Sweden in the last wave are law-abiding. When I was referring to criminal immigrants I wrote about gangs etc. so I think my choice of words have been accurate and I have distinguished between criminal immigrants and the general immigrant population.

When the suburbs we are talking about are pretty much dominated by immigrants it's also an issue of integration and immigration. There are other factors like economy and employment, naturally. I think Sweden could have let in the number of immigrants they did and still avoided much of the problems they face today. One example is the Swedish system of housing refugees. When they are processed in the reception centers they only need a written confirmation from a Swedish citizen that they have room for them and they are sent away. As a result immigrants end up in the houses of people of the same ethnic group, the entire floor-space covered by mattresses at night. They have no apartment of their own, no coordination with schools etc. The result is often ghettoes.
    In the other Nordic countries I understand the system is sending them to municipalities all around the country after securing apartments, places in schools for them etc.

Coming back to the "riots" in Sweden.
    CNN made a pretty good report about that - see link below.

What is true is, that swedish rightwingers are trying for years to fuel up these stories along their own agenda - mostly in social media. Here we have it again - echo chambers.

The criminality along all kinds of immigrants did not rise in Sweden over the last 3 years, but xenophobic crime against those people went up over 80% then.

I don't dispute that immigration is a challenge on many levels - but we owe our best efforts to solve them in order to help refugees - who came in that situation after the US destabilized an entire continent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDbrbUnJ9k8

The US and Tony Blair! We now see the results of trying impose a way of life on others of a vastly different culture.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    edited February 2017
    Number24 wrote:
    I never said the recent wave of refugees has led to an increase in crime. The problems Sweden face are a result of a very liberal immigration policy over several decades combined with a partly failed integration policy. Unemployment, problems with school and other factors are also important. Sadly Sweden is stuck with the "mainstream" parties that refuse to talk about the challenges of immigration and the SwedenDemocrats (SD), a party so far to the right the other parties (often quite rightly) refuse to work with.
    I don't see why you use these "" around the word riots. Please explain. (and if someone could "remind" me of what the signs are called in English ..... that would be nice :) )

To me these "riots" are not that.
    Police tried to arrest someone and a family clan fought back.

I'd hardly call that a riot, that's why I was using ""

And I wouldn't call swedish immigration policy "partly failed"
    There are problems and challenges and that's it.
    Pretty sure almost everyone in the US would happily have swedish "immigration failures" ;)

Don't forget what the alternatives are - I've too often mentioned them.

Chriscoop wrote:

The US and Tony Blair! We now see the results of trying impose a way of life on others of a vastly different culture.

Well, I remember how everybody was jumping on us cowardly Germans and Frenchies - anyone recall Freedom-Fries anymore?

And it was hardly a case to impose a lifestyle, it was mostly finishing Daddy's war and feed these Blackwaters , oil companies and arms manufacturers who where all buddies to Cheyney, Doubleya and Tony ;)

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Bad weather has hit so all the news companies as usual send out their reporters
    To stand at harbours etc, to show how strong the wind is :D ..... Unless that's
    Fake wind ! :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    I've just "fabricated" some "wind" and I can assure you that it's real ;%

I'm sure it wasn't Heaven scent ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    https://www.indy100.com/article/ufo-sightings-extraterrestrials-aliens-space-america-x-files-7594936
    UFO sightings are at an all time High ..... which is Typically the state to be in to see one. :D
  • GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,296MI6 Agent
    With Hitler's phone, do you get to keep the number ? ;)

One can still visit nazi bunkers in Oslo albeit only by appointment........supposedly a quite claustrophobic experience.
    Higgins wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

To me these "riots" are not that.
    Police tried to arrest someone and a family clan fought back.

I'd hardly call that a riot, that's why I was using ""

And I wouldn't call swedish immigration policy "partly failed"
    There are problems and challenges and that's it.
    Pretty sure almost everyone in the US would happily have swedish "immigration failures" ;)

Don't forget what the alternatives are - I've too often mentioned them.

It wasn't just a family clan fighting back. It all started when the police tried to stop a drug sale, that's true. But it wasn't just a family clan trying to stop and arrest. They burnt up ten cars, it took the police hours to get control of the area around the suburb square, one policeman was hurt and another police officer fired his gun at the the "family clan". They plundered restaurants and shops in the area. These kind of incidents are quite common in Sweden, so if all of them are because of "family clans" trying to stop arrests, Sweden has a problem, don't you think? A more common take on this is that a criminal gang tried to stop the police from disrupting their drug trade in the area by arresting one of their "workers". They did what they often do in these situation: burning, looting and fighting the police.

I agree that the crime levels in Sweden are the stuff of dreams for most urban police chiefs in the US. But I think it's more reasonable to compare the country with the other Nordic countries since they have pretty much the same political system, historical background etc. Norway never has these riots, neither does Iceland and Finland (I think) and in Denmark they are rare. The immigration policy in Sweden is partly failed in my view because while the vast majority of immigrants are honest, hardworking people, all the cities have one or more suburb that are parallel societies where almost all the people are of non-European decent and criminal gangs and religious extremists have the control and not the police and the Swedish government.

I have to make it clear that I'm not against immigration. It is the right think to do for ethical, economic and other reasons. But it should be done at a pace and in such a way that the police and the rest of society can remain in control and the country can integrate the new groups. Welcoming groups of people from other countries at this scale should be done after an open and factual debate. I don't think Sweden has succeeded in this.
    "Sorry, refugee number 1025.

We only can accept 1024 refugees this year, so go back and die in front of our border because it must be done at a pace" :#

edited February 2017
    First of all it's important not to confuse refugees and immigrants. Far from all the immigrants to Sweden came as refugees. Second, Sweden has taken in more refugees per capita than any other European country, so it can be argued that they hav edone their share this time and others should step in while Sweden shifts the focus to integrating everyone.
    "Sorry, refugee number 1025.
    We only can accept 1024 refugees this year, and have taken many more than other countries - who will not accept you anyhow. So go back and die in front of our border because it must be done at a pace. I am sure that you understand - and please don't quote the Geneva refugee convention that we signed some time ago" :#

There may be a fundamental missunderstanding to this discussion. I'm talking about the large immigration to Sweden fro many decades. I'm not talking about the wave of refugees mainly from Syria the last three years. When a refugees from Syria or other people who are clearly in danger, Sweden should accept their application for asylum. I am more scepitcal towards the very large number of immigrants who are not asylum seekers who have come to Sweden since the 70's.
    As I understand it, most of the european countries - and the US where actively seeking for immigrants to stack up their industrial workforce after wwII.

There have been mistakes made in the past to integrating those people and these challenges remain today.
    The right wing in the US are using Sweden as an example for a failed integration of immigrants - and leave out facts like the larger amounts of cities compared to other scandinavian states and other factors.

Scandinavia is not paradise, but all those countries managed to integrate a larger numbers of immigrants without turning their societies into armageddon.

The far right is actively using Sweden as an example of "what happens when you welcome immigrants" according to them. This is sad. I think Sweden is an example of what may happen if you welcome a lot of immigrants and chose not to be open about the challenges that could follow and try to handle them. Too often the official Swedish has been too hide and not talk about the problems, because in their eyes talking about it is racist and will play into the hands of the right wing SD party. Sadly this has backfired. By not talking about the problems and letting SD be alone in talking about this they have done SD a favour. Recent polls place SD second after the Socialdemocratic Party and slightly in front of the Conservatives (Moderatarna).
    I read today that a Dick is now in charge of the Met police. ;)
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent
    I read today that a Dick is now in charge of the Met police. ;)

Well at least she can't be accused of doing her thinking with it! That's always something! :))
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    :)) :)) :))
    A prison inmate killed another inmate today. So what, you may ask. Well, it happened in a country I probably mention too often and I can't remember if that's ever occured before. Strange, since they have easy access to things like kitchen knives, deck chairs and chainsaws saws.........