Random Chat!!! (All Welcome!)

Comments

• PendragonPendragon ColoradoPosts: 2,640MI6 Agent
    dunno who's heard, but Colorado is on fire again. it's that time of year...

Right now, there's a HUGE fire burning in the Fourmile Canyon area and it's leaving a huge wake of destruction. I recently got news that my childhood summer camp caught fire late last night. The Walkers (owners) and their animals got out safe, but some of the activity areas/main entry way are completely gone. The main lodge and most of the cabins are OK as far as I know.

Last estimate I heard, over 50 homes are gone.

if anyone is so inclined, there's a relief effort going on.
    http://ajb007.co.uk/topic/14473/random-chat-all-welcome/page/211/

the profile picture is of what used to be the main entry to my camp.

thanks for reading, and please keep those in the effected area in your thoughts/prayers until this is over.
    Hey! Observer! You trying to get yourself Killed?

mountainburdphotography.wordpress.com
  • Agent_MAgent_M lost in the speed forcePosts: 353MI6 Agent
    Well I've been keeping a lid on it for a few weeks now so that I didn't jinx anything but it looks like.........I'm going to be a Dad!!

The Due date is the first or second week of May next year (Is it wrong of me to be hoping for May the 4th?)

We've picked a couple of girls names but no boys just yet we're actually finding it quite tricky, probably because I keep pushing for geek names so Luke, Han and Obi-Wan have been veto'ed along with Barry, Bruce and Clark but I might get Tiberius as a middle name.

Basically I'm bounching off the walls at the moment so if my posts get a bit flakey please excuse me and any hints/tips are always welcome
    Purvis,Wade...........GRRRRRRRR!

www.scottacademymartialarts.co.uk
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,283MI6 Agent
    Congrats Agent_M. Whatever the gender I hope you and the misses have a happy, healthy baby. FWIW, I think Tiberius would make an ultra-cool middle name.
    mega congrats, Agent_M!!! that's wonderful news! :x

Tiberius would be an uber cool middle name!

• Another LoeffelholzAnother Loeffelholz "a different position."Posts: 77MI6 Agent
    Agent_M wrote:
    Well I've been keeping a lid on it for a few weeks now so that I didn't jinx anything but it looks like.........I'm going to be a Dad!!

The Due date is the first or second week of May next year (Is it wrong of me to be hoping for May the 4th?)

We've picked a couple of girls names but no boys just yet we're actually finding it quite tricky, probably because I keep pushing for geek names so Luke, Han and Obi-Wan have been veto'ed along with Barry, Bruce and Clark but I might get Tiberius as a middle name.

Basically I'm bounching off the walls at the moment so if my posts get a bit flakey please excuse me and any hints/tips are always welcome
    Congrats Agent _M !!!! {[] This is the greatest news one can get. My best to you both ( well....I guess all three !!!)
    My second daughter Lucy :x was born on May the 4th of this year !!! B-) And yeah....that is a sweeeet birthday :))
    Here's to hoping your son or daughter is exactly one year younger than my little girl. -{
    Whatever his/her birthday is.....I promise it will be the best day of your life to date. Congrats again. {[]
  • Agent_MAgent_M lost in the speed forcePosts: 353MI6 Agent
    Thanks guys it's nice to know I'll have my own genre support group for those 2 A.M. sleep deprived ramblings :))
    Purvis,Wade...........GRRRRRRRR!

www.scottacademymartialarts.co.uk
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,302MI6 Agent
    Wasn't Tiberius also a rather dodgy Roman emperor?

Like the mum who christened her son Nero - not seeming to know much about Roman history.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • thesecretagentthesecretagent CornwallPosts: 2,151MI6 Agent
    Agent_M wrote:

Congratulations! :D Your net worth has gone down by £250,000 in your lifetime. :# However, the fun, love and emotions you'll have now are priceless. :D
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

http://apbateman.com
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    Is it me, or is anyone else really pleased that this week has finished?

The start was 'Black Monday' - following the most 'flat' weekend of the year.....
    I don't usually take notice of these things....but somehow this week was a toughie....

However - now, with a whisky mac - and supper in the oven, I'm really pleased this week is done...
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
    I'm beyond pleased! first week of classes is always just intro to the syllabus and it gets tiresome introducing myself 5-6 times in a row, every single semester...oh well.

in other news, my Intro to Criminal Justice prof is JUST SHY of 7' tall. yup. I don't quite know how to handle the way he LOOMS...suppose I'll get used to it, but DAMN is it creepy at 8 in the morning...especially when my tea hasn't kicked in yet :o

enjoy the long weekend! well...long weekend for all of us who have MLK Jr. day off :D

Pendragon wrote:

enjoy the long weekend! well...long weekend for all of us who have MLK Jr. day off :D

You guys have such great holidays (or 'bank' holidays as they are called here)! {[]

We don't even recognise St Georges day here :# - and we are still in debate whether we celebrate Prince William getting married, by constituting a 'Bank' holiday - it's pathetic.... (of course we should ;) )

Anyway, enjoy -{
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • thesecretagentthesecretagent CornwallPosts: 2,151MI6 Agent
    Don't you find it strange that St. Patricks Day gets more celebration/premotion that St. Georges Day? It's almost seen as politically incorrect to celebrate the saint of 3/4 of the British population... :#
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

http://apbateman.com
    yep - It's so weird..... I remember even celebrating St Patrick's day (it's the day after my birthday ;) ) in Canada.... it's huge out there too.....

Although, I do beleive that Shepherd Neame (One of the great Kentish brewers) are campaigning to it to be recognised as a 'holiday'

However, you ask people on the street when St Patrick's day is (most will get it right) but few Brits will know St Georges day is.....
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    Pendragon wrote:

in other news, my Intro to Criminal Justice prof is JUST SHY of 7' tall. yup. I don't quite know how to handle the way he LOOMS...suppose I'll get used to it, but DAMN is it creepy at 8 in the morning...especially when my tea hasn't kicked in yet :o

When I was in middle school (way back in the 1900s ;) ) we had a vice principal who was about 6' 7" This guy towered above all the kids. And when he came in the room he had to duck under the door way or he'd bump his head. The only reason he'd come into a class room is to get a kid who was in trouble. He was a cool guy though when he'd supervise playtime on the field. I wish I was that tall.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
    Mr Martini wrote:
    Pendragon wrote:

When I was in middle school (way back in the 1900s ;) ) we had a vice principal who was about 6' 7" This guy towered above all the kids. And when he came in the room he had to duck under the door way or he'd bump his head. The only reason he'd come into a class room is to get a kid who was in trouble. He was a cool guy though when he'd supervise playtime on the field. I wish I was that tall.

oh man...Dr. Randa is 6'10" and he towers over me and my 5'6"...lucky for him, the doors in my main class building are reeeeally tall so he doesn't have to duck.

that's creepy about the principal though. what a sight for the troublemaker!

• Jedi MasterJedi Master UKPosts: 1,093MI6 Agent
    Behold the creator has returned!

This is about the third time I've done this: Posted in here declaring my intention to return, only to then get distracted by other things (pesky degrees!) and last time I did it I think I cause a year long gap in all posting (in this thread you understand, not on AJB as a whole!!!

Anyway I'm so pleased this thread is still here, I was thinking there can't be many other forums out there that have a thread which has been going for, what 5 years?!

How's it all going?! Anyone seen Tron?
    JediM :007)
    Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice and everyone dies.
    my god! hey JM! glad you're back lol

haven't seen Tron yet...still need to :P

Jedi Master is back. Good to see you!!
    edited January 2011
    Good to be back, I miss my AJB days! Truth be told I suppose the reason I haven't come back is because the last Bond film I really enjoyed was The World is not Enough!

You do need to see Tron, it's awesome, the soundtrack is sublime! If you can go see it at an Imax it's well worth it, first time I've actually enjoyed 3D was this film at the Imax (didn't find the 3D any good at the regular cinema)!

I'd like to hear a Bond theme by Michael Buble, what do you think?!

JediM {[]
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Good to hear from you again, JM...I saw Tron a few weeks back, and in fact just received my copy of the soundtrack from Amazon today B-)

Word on the street is that a third Tron script is already underway. Some people think the story is weak, but the more I think about it, the writers actually made some smart moves. The concept of the isomorphs, for instance, changes the idea that everything that happens in the Tron world is simply not real (and thus inconsequential in the big picture) but now introduces a new 'organism' that truly does face life or death on the grid. Lots of story possibilities there...
    This is true, but my biggest issue with the film is how on Earth did Cora (Quora?!) get into the real world? Where did her body come from!?

I'm not really sure where a sequel could go, because the implication was that the entire grid was destroyed and his dad died...! Look forward to seeing it though, especially if Daft Punk are still on board.
    edited January 2011
    This is true, but my biggest issue with the film is how on Earth did Cora (Quora?!) get into the real world? Where did her body come from!?

I've heard other people complain about this but it never really bothered me. Since the premise of going into a computer is a bit absurd, I figured any computer that could do that must be able to pull some star trek-type replicator technology out of its pocket to reverse the process. But that's just me.

I think a sequel could be good...the film did imply that Tron was still around, even if Kevin Flynn is no longer. I think it is certainly possible to keep the story going. Who knows...Perhaps Quorra's 'physical' self turns out to be unstable forcing them to return to the Grid somehow. Lots of potential storylines to explore.
    last night, my cousin Katy and her husband Sean welcomed their baby girl, Allyson Kathleen, into the world. both mom and baby are doing wonderfully, and as you can all imagine, everyone in the family is ecstatic right now :x

I might get to go see the little munchkin next weekend. here's hoping!

Woooo congrats! Great news! Make sure you bring her up on a diet of classic 007!
    Woooo congrats! Great news! Make sure you bring her up on a diet of classic 007!

thank you! I'll pass it on to the parents!

haha I'll certainly do my best. her grandfather (my uncle) is a fan, so I'll pester him about it :D

And Star Wars, of course! Just listening to the soundtrack... It's quite good!
    And Star Wars, of course! Just listening to the soundtrack... It's quite good!

I'd say anything by John Williams is quite good.
    I would more or less agree, although Harry Potter for example doesn't do much for me. I do think Star Wars is his greatest achievement!
    Big John Williams fan here...Star Wars is epic no doubt, but IMO his finest score was for Superman. There are aspects of that music unlike any of his others...from the heroic theme that almost literally shouts 'Superman!', the sweeping strains that accompany Smallville, the innocence of the love theme, and the comic vile implied by the March of the Villians. Top notch!
    I'm sure I'll have to babysit the kid at some point, and this big cousin will be showing her classic stuff :D she'll grow up right, that's for sure!