Random Chat!!! (All Welcome!)

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Thanks for the tip. Although it doesn't need to be fantastic, as it
    Only for copying essays and reports etc. -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent
    Thanks for the tip. Although it doesn't need to be fantastic, as it
    Only for copying essays and reports etc. -{

It isn't expensive I don't think - Tescos had them for £50 a while back and one of my customers offered me one for a tenner as he already had one and had no need for it! Eventually, needing a new printer I took him up on the offer. :) -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    Binge drinking, zero hours contracts = Gin and Workhouses
    We are living in the second " Dickensian" time. :))

Every time I watch Scrooge at Christmas time ,I always remark that poor old Bob Cratchit ,only gets one day off for Christmas ,ie Christmas day , well we havnt come very far in the 100 odd years , as most people still only get Christmas day off .Be warned people, all of you who cant wait to rush out to the shops on boxing day ,one day in the future you will be working too .Its domino effect, they will have to start running more buses/trains /tubes, then it will be the banks that will have to open ,then we will all be working ,at no extra pay naturally,you have been warned

I probably shouldn't say this, but this year my Christmas holliday will be 14 days. I'm actually supposed to be at work the second Friday, but I'm taking time off because of some overtime. You guessed it, I'm not employed in the privste sector :)
    Bloody civil servants ! :)) :p
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    Bloody civil servants ! :)) :p

Yes bloody typical, Governments and their supporting depatments get Christmas off, but refuse to pass laws to stop companies forcing people to work at Christmas, :)
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    Ah come on ! We need those Elves to make the presents ! :))
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent

No its not fair ,I know a couple of people in retail (not MGs wife ) now they cant get wrecked on Christmas day ,stay up very late, because they have to be in work very early on Boxing day ,to open up for the sales ,just so a couple of thousand
    selfish bastards need to go shopping on boxing day.Bear in mind these are the same people who would scream blue murder
    and human rights if they had to work. I remember years ago on patrol ,in the very early hours on Boxing day , we came across hundreds of cars ,queing up on the motorway at 4am in the freezing morning ,all trying to get to the NEXT sale
    I mean get a bloody life,
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    Oh I think it's terrible, soon shops will be open 24 hours
    Everyday never closing ! That's the future :# along
    With zero hour contracts, no workers rights , with the ability
    To be sacked on the spot !
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,579Chief of Staff
    Number24 wrote:
    I probably shouldn't say this, but this year my Christmas holliday will be 14 days. I'm actually supposed to be at work the second Friday, but I'm taking time off because of some overtime. You guessed it, I'm not employed in the privste sector :)

When I worked in the private sector I used to have the whole of December off...but now I work for the NHS and I'll be lucky to get a week off, not consecutive days anyway...it's just the way it is...
    YNWA 97
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,328Chief of Staff
    +1. Once upon a time I worked for the NHS and I know where you're coming from.
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent

No its not fair ,I know a couple of people in retail (not MGs wife ) now they cant get wrecked on Christmas day ,stay up very late, because they have to be in work very early on Boxing day ,to open up for the sales ,just so a couple of thousand
    selfish bastards need to go shopping on boxing day.Bear in mind these are the same people who would scream blue murder
    and human rights if they had to work. I remember years ago on patrol ,in the very early hours on Boxing day , we came across hundreds of cars ,queing up on the motorway at 4am in the freezing morning ,all trying to get to the NEXT sale
    I mean get a bloody life,

As I work in retail for my sins this is all too true sadly. :#
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    I think the endless working hours etc will increase the cases
    Of depression and mental stress related illnesses. :#
    In fact thinking about it, as an example of how low UK wages have gotten.
    There was a time, when one persons wages could "keep" a family. My
    Own parents for example, my dad worked and his money paid for everything
    And he worked Monday to Friday.
    Now for many families, even with Both working, ( All different days and weekends)
    They still qualify for government tax credits to bring up their wages ! :o Only
    Last week they had an EU survey showing Britain leads the world for low paid
    Jobs.
    If I was Dave Cameron, that's not a legacy I'd like to go down in history for. :#
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    Due to me working in a Supermarket, I end up dreading every Christmas :#
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Americans only get Christmas Day off I think. Boxing Day isn't a thing over there.

I've never got the whole Boxing Day sales thing. Can't believe people still have money to spend and things to buy. Retail wise I think I would still keep Boxing Day as a day off. Surely there are enough days of the year for shopping already.

Talking of which .... I also never get the big push from furniture shops to buy a new sofa in time for Christmas !! What's that about ??? I'm getting a new sofa delivered on Friday but it's cos my old one is knackered not because I want a new one for Christmas .... And, why has it taken 10 weeks to deliver? In America you can get the sofa delivered and scotch guarded the same day of purchase. We are so backward here with some things .....
    Maybe the new sofa idea, is to give you something comfortable to crash out on
    after the Big lunch, to watch The Big Bond film ? :))
    ( I know that's a little out of date, these days ) :D
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    In fact thinking about it, as an example of how low UK wages have gotten.
    There was a time, when one persons wages could "keep" a family. My
    Own parents for example, my dad worked and his money paid for everything
    And he worked Monday to Friday.
    Now for many families, even with Both working, ( All different days and weekends)
    They still qualify for government tax credits to bring up their wages ! :o Only
    Last week they had an EU survey showing Britain leads the world for low paid
    Jobs.
    If I was Dave Cameron, that's not a legacy I'd like to go down in history for. :#

My hubby, after 11 years in his old job, has been looking at jobs recently and we have been quite shocked at the dramatic change in wages and hours.

You look at a wage, think it looks ok, then see you are expected to work a 10 hour day plus weekends and suddenly it looks rubbish because that brings the hourly rate right down .... Problem is, if people are prepared to work that and take the jobs it's sets the bar ...

Also, I don't think many companies advertise direct now either. It's all through recruitment agencies. Makes everything far more complicated but I suppose it cuts down on having HR departments
    I really do think at some point ( maybe the late 70s) all governments changed from
    looking after the people to looking after big businnes ! in many ways we've stopped
    being a country/society and have become UK-PLC, :#
    Its taken Months of saving between me and the GF for the Deposit on the new Flat, and were both glad that it's paid off. We both make just enough for Food and Board, but I'm currently looking for a new Job even though I've forgotten how hard the Market is :#
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    I don't know anyone who isn't struggling somehow, whether it's not
    upgrading equipment, or not taking a holiday, or slashing advertising.
    Although acording to the Government the good times are back, and we
    should all, be Happy again ! Yea !! :))
    Lady Rose wrote:
    Americans only get Christmas Day off I think. Boxing Day isn't a thing over there.

I've never got the whole Boxing Day sales thing. Can't believe people still have money to spend and things to buy. Retail wise I think I would still keep Boxing Day as a day off. Surely there are enough days of the year for shopping already...

Plenty in my family have money for Christmas so they can get twice as much in the Boxing Day sales...why pay extra for something if it will be half price the day after ???
    YNWA 97
    Due to me working in a Supermarket, I end up dreading every Christmas :#

My shop is not too bad in this regard - I don't ever work Christmas Day (it's closed) or Boxing Day but then I do work every Saturday and Sunday in the year, opening up early (5.30 am) and working late shifts (to 12 midnight) so I need two days off at that time for the unsociable hours I work throughout the year (usually 40-50 hrs). I work solely on the till in a very busy petrol station and shop. :) -{
    edited October 2014
    I normally have 3-4 Days off over Christmas, so its not too bad :)) The biggest Problem with my Role is that we have to start at four in the bloody Morning during the run up to Crimbo :#

May I ask what Company you work for?
    Lady Rose wrote:
    My hubby, after 11 years in his old job, has been looking at jobs recently and we have been quite shocked at the dramatic change in wages and hours.

I had a similar experience three years ago...I was made redundant and was looking for a comparable job with other companies...for a similar job they were offering £6,500 a year less - and that was IF I had a degree - which I dont - so it meant I wasn't qualified to do a job I had been doing for (nearly) all my working life !!
    I hope your husband finds a decent job soon -{
    YNWA 97
    We both make just enough for Food and Board, but I'm currently looking for a new Job even though I've forgotten how hard the Market is :#

It's the same for me - except I live alone - but I realise there are people far worse off than I...it's a good job I don't smoke or drink ! :))
    YNWA 97
    edited October 2014
    Are you tired of hearing strange stories from Norway (or stories from strange Norway) ? Don't despair - I have a strange story from Iceland! Well, it involves Norway too ...

The Norwegian Armed Forces gave 250 MP5 submacineguns to the Icelandic coast guard and police. Norway has lots of MP5's to spare because we are switching to MP7's in the military now. This has caused an outrage in Iceland because they are worried about too many guns in government hands and this transfer has quadrupled the number of guns on Iceleland. You see, only the SWAT team (they have one of those, you know) has traditionally been armed on Iceland. This militarisation of the country and the governemnt has the Icelanders marching in the streets protesting and there is talk of the government having to step down.
    The last Icelandic Government was replaced a few Years back.
    The last Icelandic Government was replaced a few Years back.

No, they still have a government. Sigmundur Davíð Gunnlaugsson is the Prime Minister.
    I must have re-read something -{
    I normally have 3-4 Days off over Christmas, so its not too bad :)) The biggest Problem with my Role is that we have to start at four in the bloody Morning during the run up to Crimbo :#

May I ask what Company you work for?

I work for Spar but it's privately owned.