Random Chat!!! (All Welcome!)

Comments

• HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    Let me introduce you the new guest in the House of Higgins - Max

We had frosty nights with snow for 1 week and he probably wandered around searching for food all that time.
    He has been found 2 days ago and will spend winter with us.

Pic is crappy but I don't want to use a flash for obvious reasons

fullsizerenderxp9dtarhfs.jpg

Ok quick update on Max.

He has now around 550 grams but is not gaining weight.
    Vet found stomach worms today and some other monads in his stool - they have developed as well as Max himself.

So he's gotten the worm shot today and will receive another one in 2 days.
    Then he'll be treated against the monads - hopefully then gain some weight and will be put outside for hibernation then.

He's very strong and cool - I've never seen a hedgehog caring less about a shot than him - but he's by far the messiest hedgehog that I have ever had. Which means Sh*t everywhere - every morning - even in front of his nose when he's sleeping 8-)
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Nice work Higgins -{ I myself gave nature a helping hand yesterday, I came across female deer tangled in a wire fence, she wasn't too badly injured so I untangled her being careful not to get kicked or butted, and off she ran back into the woods, the cold weather should mean the superficial laceration to her hind leg wont get infected and by the sound of the racket in the woods her herd were not to far away.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,818MI6 Agent
    I think there is a world of difference between a sparsely populated country and countries with large populations. Norway's total population is about half of London, New York and many other cities. I don't know because I have never been to Norway but is it that most areas are small communities where returning criminals feel shame because most people know each other?

Here in The Philippines the new president has instructed a zero tolerance policy reference drug dealers. Hundreds and thousands of drug dealers have been shot dead or incarcerated. Thousands of drug addicts have surrendered for drug rehabilitation programmes. I volunteer in a help center and can testify that things are a whole lot better with these stringent laws in place.

I think that New York had a zero tolerance policy in the 80's and things improved immeasurably.

It's unlikely that any system will be 100% effective everywhere throughout the world but I still maintain that making things uncomfortable for criminals is better than the kid glove treatment.

First of all: the zero tolerance policy against drugs in the Philipines is very much about murdering drug users. Death squads and police go around killing poor drug addicts and barely anything gets investigated.

You are on to something about the low crime rate here in Norway. It's always possibeleto move somewhere nobody knows you after a prison sentence, if you want to. But part of the reason for the low crime rate is a high level of trust in society and among people.
    Close social networks also paly a part. There is also a factor in how the prison system works. Since there is no death penalty and (in theory) no life sentence, we know the prisoners will return to society. Because of this, reabilitation to society is a very important
    part of the prison system.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I'm an old right winger when it comes to law and order. I honestly can't understand the problems
    People find to defend criminals ! 99.9% of us can live happily together without killing, raping, mugging
    Or stealing .... Anything!
    If I had my way ( sensible policies, for a sensible Britain ) I'd have criminals out breaking rocks or
    Turning a crank for no reason, other than to keep them occupied. Long term prisoners could be used
    To test new drugs etc, to help speed up the testing times, and in that way they'd be giving something
    Back to society. Also their organs could be used for sick people.
    Repeat offenders could be executed to save cost and space. Or a lottery system would be Introduced
    To cull the prison population every few years, that would keep many on their toes.......... I have loads more
    Ideas. ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Enoch Powell wanted to use prisoners to do civic duties such as mow the verges, change Street light bulbs, collect letter etc etc but was thwarted in his plan by liberal human rights types
    He said why should the overburdened British taxpayer pay twice, once to keep these criminals locked up, warm and fed then again to the councils for their services?
    edited December 2016
    The way I see it is different, TP: there are two ways to do it, broadly speaking. You can execute or keep in prison for life all criminals, almost regardless of the crime. The other is to try to prepare most prisoners for a life back in society instead of using the justice system as an instrument of revenge. May I also say that I'm against the state killing people to save money, as you suggest. Even if your suggestion was morally right, it's economically wrong. Experience from the US shows that a death sentence costs the authorities more than life in prison. I hope you're not going to suggest cutting costs by weakening the law for the accuse. There are quite a few innocent people on death row now (New cases of this seems to turn up every year), so speeding up the prosess would be highly problematic. Your views seem far from sensible to me.
    edited December 2016
    He used to be our local MP, :D must be where I get it from :))

I think you must have misread my absolutely brilliant post N24, ;) I was not promoting the death penalty, but
    Rather a Lottery system every couple of years, to thin down the criminal population in prison. It could be
    Thought of, as a judgement from God ( as it would be a random selection ) and cheap. As there'd be no
    Appeals, so no lawyers fees etc. ;) ....... Or am I a bit too Trump in my thinking ? :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    The way it looks in the post I commented, you are far beyond Trump in in your views about the law and capital punishment. I respect and like you a lot, TP, but the views you put forward reminds me more of nazi Germany. Sorry. I find it hard to read any of your two posts as anything other than a support of the death penalty. It's pretty clear that you suggested the state should kill parts of the prison population to save money. I can't defend this in any way.
    Lucky we are on a friendly forum where all opinions can be expressed. ;) I doubt
    I'll ever be in a position to carry out any of mine, so I don't think you should be too
    Worried ;)
    My concern will always be with the victims, never the criminals.
    We should never forget about the victims, but turning the justice system into an instrument of revenge and terror (at times even governed by pure chance) is unlikely to help victims. IMO it will lead to a more brutal society with even more brutal criminals. The ideals of human rights and the Constitution of most countries will be sacrificed. You called your suggestions "sensible". To me they lack both sense and sensibility (nice Jane Austen-referance there :v)
    I prefer Steve Austin :p although I will consider your tree hugging, liberal ideas. ;)
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,299MI6 Agent
    With the suicide rate in prisons what it is, it's not like TP's theory is so outlandish. It's just, they're getting the prisoners to do it to themselves.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Number24 wrote:
    The way it looks in the post I commented, you are far beyond Trump in in your views about the law and capital punishment. I respect and like you a lot, TP, but the views you put forward reminds me more of nazi Germany. Sorry. I find it hard to read any of your two posts as anything other than a support of the death penalty. It's pretty clear that you suggested the state should kill parts of the prison population to save money. I can't defend this in any way.
    So being a liberal minded sort 24, would you be happy for anders breivik to be held for a couple of years rehabilitated then relocated to live next door to your family while being fully supported and paid for by your government? And what do we do about hardline repeat offenders? Or pedophiles? Because I can categorically tell you that they can not be rehabilitated, I know this from previous work ive been involved in.
    Breivik was given the formal maximum prison time, 21 years. But he can (and will) be kept locked up for as long as he is considered a threath. I would like him and others like him to be given the true life in prison, where he would be guaranteed to die in prison unless new evidence (teoretical in his case) emerges. Repeat offenders should serve for their crimes, and unwillingness to reform should result in longer prison terms.
    Pedophiles are a difficult problem. Protecting children is extremly important, but so is human rights.
    Reactions to their crimes should be harsh, but a decent into barbarism is not the answer. They should be watched closely, but they are in some ways comparable alcoholics: some can stop acting on their unges, but they're never stop having the urges.
    edited December 2016
    With the suicide rate in prisons what it is, it's not like TP's theory is so outlandish. It's just, they're getting the prisoners to do it to themselves.

The suicide rate isn't relevant to this issue. His theories are outlandish. Much of the reason I compared his views on this to nazi Germany is that they are among the very few to execute random prisoners to further their goals. No civilized and democratic nation does this.
    To make myself clear: I know TP isn't a nazi, but on this issue he has expressed views that are closer to Hitler Germany than any other system I know of.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,299MI6 Agent
    Yes, but to be fair to TP, this is Random Chat, and selecting which prisoner gets to die by drawing lots... that's pretty Random... :o
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    It's simply fascist. Sorry.
    Number24 wrote:
    Breivik was given the formal maximum prison time, 21 years. But he can (and will) be kept locked up for as long as he is considered a threath. I would like him and others like him to be given the true life in prison, where he would be guaranteed to die in prison unless new evidence (teoretical in his case) emerges. Repeat offenders should serve for their crimes, and unwillingness to reform should result in longer prison terms.
    Pedophiles are a difficult problem. Protecting children is extremly important, but so is human rights.
    Reactions to their crimes should be harsh, but a decent into barbarism is not the answer. They should be watched closely, but they are in some ways comparable alcoholics: some can stop acting on their unges, but they're never stop having the urges.

That's right, stopping a pedophile from finding children sexually attractive is like trying to stop a heterosexual man from finding women attractive. Do you believe in a tiered penal system then 24? Where the most serious and despicable crimes are punishable by longer or full life sentences and more petty and menial crime shorter sentences with a view on reform? I would ask though in the case of someone like breivik, why keep him alive for his whole life, just to keep him locked up at huge expense? Would that money not be better used for buying new hospital equipment or training a nurse, doctor or policeman?
    I couldn't be a Nazi, as I've never forgiven them for what they
    Did to my Grandfather during the war ! .......... Constantly overlooking
    Him for promotion ! ;) ( Trying to break any tension )

A personal story, to try and help explain my feelings on law and order .....

My wife had a beautiful, intelligent young cousin. Studying at University with a bright and happy
    Life and career to look forward to. On an exchange trip to an American university, one night both
    She and a friend were mugged, and even though they offered No resistance. She was beaten about
    The head with a baseball bat.
    For days we all thought she wouldn't survive, but she did. Although in a wheelchair with permanent
    Brain damage.
    Luckily the criminals were caught and the violent one got 95 years for this and other violent attacks.
    Which I'm satisfied with, as if it had happened here in the UK, he'd most likely have gotten 3 to 4 years.

I do hope this remains a friendly discussion, just a bunch of mates, throwing out a few opinions. :)
    We can't bring in any laws so let's not get too .... Over excited :D .. or it's off to bed for us all ....
    .... And what a night that would ...... ( Censorship override activated ) :))
    I do support a tiered prison system, and that's the system in Norway. I have to ask you: do you really belive that I and other "liberals" just want to reform mass murderers a couple of years and release them to be paid by society to walk amming us? If the answer is yes :o , I would strongly urge you to broaden your media input and be more critical of left-of-center media.

As to Breivik: I don't think it's the role of the state to kill prisoners. I find it strange that people who otherwise are against a state with a lot of power support giving the state this enormous power. Couldn't this power be used politically? Life in prison not only has the advantages of being revokable if proven innocent or a victim of a political ruling, I also think it's a harder sentence. Death is so final, life is long.
    As it's nearly Christmas, why don't we park the discussion and get back to our odd food and drink,
    And weird customs chat ? ......... Or complaining about bloody young people ? -{
    You have't really tried to explain the views you put forward. I don't think one should write such things and just go on chatting about Christmas dinners. What system do you think some of the views you put forward are closely to - a modern democracy or nazi Germany? You don't have to reply here and now, but please think of it. Also think of what type of society you ideas would most likely lead to.
    edited December 2016
    I'm getting the subtlest inkling, you don't like my idea ? ;)
    So in the spirit of good will, I will admit I'm totally wrong in my
    Expressions of penal punishment, and will back down {[]

http://uk.businessinsider.com/why-norways-prison-system-is-so-successful-2014-12?r=US&IR=T
    It does seem the Norwegian method, is very successful,. The only question is would it work over here
    Or is it unique to the Norwegian state of mind ?
    Well, I hope the discussion led to some hard thinking. I find it...... odd that you put forward those entreen views and people argue against ME ?:)
    Well, enough for now.
    That's the problem when you let people think for themselves .... Who's going down the
    Nazi Germany route now ? :)) ( Only joking mate ) if the Norwegian system works, then
    I'm all for it, can't argue with facts. If it reduces re-offending then , I'm all for giving it a go. -{
    :)
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    That's the problem when you let people think for themselves .... Who's going down the
    Nazi Germany route now ? :)) ( Only joking mate ) if the Norwegian system works, then
    I'm all for it, can't argue with facts. If it reduces re-ofending then , I'm all for giving it a go. -{

Each country will advocate whatever system works for them.

Unfortunately the system in the UK is failing from every aspect and needs radical reforms. This also leads to radical views brought on by frustration and anger.

The UK has 'proper' sentencing but they are rarely enforced mainly because of financial constraints and space in prisons. The probation service are also very underfunded so offenders are not given the support they need. The whole thing is a mess and nobody is satisfied, least of all the victims.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,413Chief of Staff
    Well-handled, TP and Number24. {[]
    For anyone to get the better of me in a discussion they need to be
    very ........................ average :D we're all adults, so can have a heated
    debate but still stay friends, it's also getting too close to Christmas to
    do anything naughty. None of us want to be put on the naughty list. :D
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,279MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    I think there is a world of difference between a sparsely populated country and countries with large populations. Norway's total population is about half of London, New York and many other cities. I don't know because I have never been to Norway but is it that most areas are small communities where returning criminals feel shame because most people know each other?

Here in The Philippines the new president has instructed a zero tolerance policy reference drug dealers. Hundreds and thousands of drug dealers have been shot dead or incarcerated. Thousands of drug addicts have surrendered for drug rehabilitation programmes. I volunteer in a help center and can testify that things are a whole lot better with these stringent laws in place.

I think that New York had a zero tolerance policy in the 80's and things improved immeasurably.

It's unlikely that any system will be 100% effective everywhere throughout the world but I still maintain that making things uncomfortable for criminals is better than the kid glove treatment.

First of all: the zero tolerance policy against drugs in the Philipines is very much about murdering drug users. Death squads and police go around killing poor drug addicts and barely anything gets investigated.

You are on to something about the low crime rate here in Norway. It's always possibeleto move somewhere nobody knows you after a prison sentence, if you want to. But part of the reason for the low crime rate is a high level of trust in society and among people.
    Close social networks also paly a part. There is also a factor in how the prison system works. Since there is no death penalty and (in theory) no life sentence, we know the prisoners will return to society. Because of this, reabilitation to society is a very important
    part of the prison system.

N24 - your understanding of the fight against drugs here is misinformed. The zero tolerance here is against drug pushers not users. It's the pushers who are being killed and good riddance to them. Drug users are being sent on rehabilitation programmes (if they want to) and there are tens of thousands already in the system being or awaiting treatment. Many people in authority, police and politicians for example have been arrested for protecting drug pushers. In the past these scum have been given free reign to peddle their filth with impunity knowing they have the protection of the law. No longer is this the case, in just a few short months the drug trade has dwindled substantially. It may not be pretty but it's been damn well effective and the President is being hailed a hero by decent families throughout the islands.
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.