Random Chat!!! (All Welcome!)

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,815MI6 Agent
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    Polar bears, glaciers, northern light, zero crime, zero unemployment, ice bergs ...... everyday stuff. ;)
    Sounds like heaven, do they have an airstrip there?

Sure. It's on National Geographic's list of extreme airports.

1441541.jpg
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-01-30/james-bond-screenwriters-say-trump-makes-it-difficult-to-continue-the-007-franchise
    James Bond screenwriters say Trump makes it difficult to continue the 007 franchise........ I'm trying not to
    Get too political :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,269MI6 Agent
    The Miss Universe beauty contest has just been held here in the Philippines and won by Miss France. Beauty pageants are very popular here and almost every town and city holds one annually. I know it's been probably 20 years since a beauty contest has been shown on a major television station in the UK but I would be interested to know how popular they are around the world, so over to the global AJB members to give their answers.
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,091MI6 Agent
    http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-01-30/james-bond-screenwriters-say-trump-makes-it-difficult-to-continue-the-007-franchise
    James Bond screenwriters say Trump makes it difficult to continue the 007 franchise........ I'm trying not to

To be fair, Eon's dependence on Purvis & Wade also make it difficult to continue the series. :p
  • DiabolikDiabolik TexasPosts: 117MI6 Agent
    Dear lord. I really wish people in show business would just shut up already, we don't care about your opinions. Entertain us and leave the preaching for the pundits
    1.TSWLM 2.LTK 3.YOLT 4.OHMSS 5.TWINE 6.LALD 7.MR 8.GE 9.DN 10.FRWL
    Bond: Pierce Brosnan Villain: Hugo Drax Girl: Pam Bouvier
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    Diabolik wrote:
    Dear lord. I really wish people in show business would just shut up already, we don't care about your opinions. Entertain us and leave the preaching for the pundits

Just about all entertainers make some sort of commentary (on politics or otherwise) through their work. The Bond film writers always have commented on world politics in their scripts. If you care about any of their Bond films, you already care about their opinions.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    Matt S wrote:
    Just about all entertainers make some sort of commentary (on politics or otherwise) through their work. The Bond film writers always have commented on world politics in their scripts.
    Socio-political commentary within a work and attacking a particular political figure are not one and the same. I don't mind political subtext, nor do I mind poking fun like they did with Margaret Thatcher in FYEO. However, coming out saying "I don't know how I can go on doing my job because [insert person I don't agree with] is literally Hitler!" makes you seem like an imbecile.
    Matt S wrote:
    If you care about any of their Bond films, you already care about their opinions.
    I don't have to value someone's political opinions to love their art. Absolutely preposterous
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    Diabolik wrote:
    Matt S wrote:
    Just about all entertainers make some sort of commentary (on politics or otherwise) through their work. The Bond film writers always have commented on world politics in their scripts.
    Socio-political commentary within a work and attacking a particular political figure are not one and the same. I don't mind political subtext, nor do I mind poking fun like they did with Margaret Thatcher in FYEO. However, coming out saying "I don't know how I can go on doing my job because [insert person I don't agree with] is literally Hitler!" makes you seem like an imbecile.
    Matt S wrote:
    If you care about any of their Bond films, you already care about their opinions.
    I don't have to value someone's political opinions to love their art. Absolutely preposterous

Well then you must not think Wade is an imbecile since he made no direct comparison to Hitler in the article TP shared. A few Bond villains are obviously based off real world villains, and I don't think it makes much of a difference whether those real people are mentioned by name. I am actually surprised by these comments about Trump making it difficult to write Bond. It's usually easier to base fiction off of reality. Trump has already done enough bad things to exaggerate into a Bond villain. Trump's disregard for the environment could inspire a Bond villain who wants to destroy the earth by pollution or by changing the weather (the latter was done on Get Smart). If this were the 1960s or 1970s, we may have seen such a villain, but that would be difficult to convince people of now.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    Matt S wrote:
    Well then you must not think Wade is an imbecile since he made no direct comparison to Hitler in the article TP shared.
    I was using hyperbole. So many people have compared the president to Hitler, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named and various other popular villains that it's become a joke. What it boils down to, in the end, is that he is Satan incarnate, everyone run for your lives.
    Matt S wrote:
    A few Bond villains are obviously based off real world villains, and I don't think it makes much of a difference whether those real people are mentioned by name. I am actually surprised by these comments about Trump making it difficult to write Bond. It's usually easier to base fiction off of reality. Trump has already done enough bad things to exaggerate into a Bond villain. Trump's disregard for the environment could inspire a Bond villain who wants to destroy the earth by pollution or by changing the weather (the latter was done on Get Smart). If this were the 1960s or 1970s, we may have seen such a villain, but that would be difficult to convince people of now.
    I would love that actually, especially with some old-school flavor. It would be an incredible time capsule for the current zeitgeist and potentially the best Bond movie in years.

I don't think it will happen though, unfortunately.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    Matt S wrote:
    Diabolik wrote:

Just about all entertainers make some sort of commentary (on politics or otherwise) through their work. The Bond film writers always have commented on world politics in their scripts. If you care about any of their Bond films, you already care about their opinions.

...not necessarily. My disdain for P&W in general has been fairly consistent, and I feel they're regrettably overvalued by the people who sign their paychecks :# Their recent utterances, whilst finding welcome ears with whomever, don't reflect the views of all Bond fans. They could always (gasp) go back to the basics, and not be swayed by the ebbs and flows of the moment.

I respect Eon's loyalty to their mediocre lifetime career types (hello, John Glen), but it's time to find new brains.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    I think the scriptwriters are being ridicolous. Let's not discuss if Trump behaves like a Bond villan or not. Even he is it shouldn't make their job worse. Fleming started writing about James Bond the year Stalin died and Beria took over for a short time.
    Bond movie were made while people like Mao, Pol Pot and Gadaffi where on the world stage. No-one claimed this made it worse to write screenplays for Bond movies.
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    The one bit from that I took from that article was:

'After all, what do you do when reality is even more outrageous and unlikely than fiction?'

The reason? Because one of the funniest things I saw on twitter when trump was elected was 'House of Cards is really going to have to up it's game!'

Same applies to Bond screen writers too :))
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Trouble is, Trump's already basically been done (Elliot Carver). :))
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent
    I looked at the picture in the newspaper and saw a sign about the demonstration about trump. 'TRUMPTY DUMPTY' I thought this was funny.
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,695MI6 Agent
    Joshua wrote:
    I looked at the picture in the newspaper and saw a sign about the demonstration about trump. 'TRUMPTY DUMPTY' I thought this was funny.

But is he about to fall? :o
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Speaking about always having a plan b:

Condom producer Reckitt Benckiser is interested in buying babyfood - producer Mead Johnson Nutrition.

Speaking about conflicts of interest :v or is it just an example of covering all bases? :D
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,695MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    Speaking about always having a plan b:

Condom producer Reckitt Benckiser is interested in buying babyfood - producer Mead Johnson Nutrition.

Speaking about conflicts of interest :v or is it just an example of covering all bases? :D

Well the lack of one does tend to lead to the other I suppose! :))
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent
    Joshua wrote:

But is he about to fall? :o

He fall off his wall!
    What do you call a psychic dwarf who has escaped from prison?

A Small Medium at Large :D
    I once slapped a jolly clairvoyant,. Well I like to strike a happy medium. ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    The local clairvoyant meeting was cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances ;)
    On a more serious note, Russian hackers launched a malware attack on key Norwegian institutions last month. PST (our MI5) said the attacks were aimed at the armed forces, the Labour Party, an unnamed college (our version of MIT? Defence Inteligence College?), The Foreign Ministry and PST themselves. The PST claims the hackers has strong ties to Russian secret service (FSB). Earlier this week two Norwegian parliamentarians who were earlier invited to Russia on an official visit, were denied entreance to the country.

Despite our NATO membership, Norway has kept a fairly good relationship with Russia, i. e. I think we might have the only Coast Guard that can routinely bring in Russian ships for illegal fishing. But right now I think our relation to our big neighbour in the east is the worst it has been since the coldest times during the cold war. Why? Many think it's because of a US reinforced infantry battalion in the Trondheim region. The unit includes main battle tanks.

As a unilaterian step to lower tensions in the north, Norway has never allowed foreign bases on our soil. NATO forces train here, but they don't have bases like they have in the UK, Germany and other nations. But from now on 320 Marines will live a six-month rotation in the Værnes camp to train winter warfare. Technically it's not a foreign base, because the base in run by Norway and the units are on rotation, but the Russians don't see it that way.

For me, who was serving in the army in northern Norway just as the cold war ended, it's a worrying and sad development.
    For any fans of "The Saint" there is a terrific series on BBC radio 4 ( available on BBC radio player)
    With several books dramatised for radio, each is an hour long. -{
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    For any fans of "The Saint" there is a terrific series on BBC radio 4 ( available on BBC radio player)
    With several books dramatised for radio, each is an hour long. -{
    I loved the Saint as a kid, though Ian ogilvy with his white xjs was the Saint of my childhood. I even enjoyed the val Kilmer movie.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    Same with me :) loved that XJS ( in reality like many BL cars, it was awful, constantly breaking down )
    I drove various versions of XJS for many years and they never let me down, in fact I bought one of the last models produced in 1996 and I only sold when I moved to the Philippines permanently. It was still in fabulous condition and broke my heart to sell it :#
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    My uncle used to have a new xjs every couple of years up until they stopped production, he never had a white one though, but I did a toy one with the Saint logo on the bonnet, I loved the title sequence with the white animated stick man Saint and that music. In fact jags have been a feature in my life, I've had a couple and my grandfather had a 1972 racing green double six with a webasto sunroof that he bought new.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    edited February 2017
    I went to a premiere at the local cinema today, with red carpet and non-alcoholic champagne. It's national premiere, probably a first in that cinema -{
    The reason was that most of the movie was filmed in an old, beautiful hotel in the region. I think I mentioned a concert in the hotel garden last summer. Oh .... and the local brass band and people from the local asylum centre were also in the movie. It was all very local. :D
    I know one of the extras, a Palestinian from Gaza. Great fun, but (whisper it) not really a good movie.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    I wish that I could see a local bras band :D

325c6ee5b71bf198eb3ce7a19fe78619.jpg
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Sadly, it's not nearly as hot as you might think. I'll correct the misspelling immediately. Hopefully it won't make you too sad. :(