Random Chat!!! (All Welcome!)

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,815MI6 Agent
    edited January 2017
    Since Barbel didn't buy my very clever passive agressive ploy, I'll be straight forward: the development in the US is very interesting and worth debateing. IMO part of the problem is that many live in an echo chambers where they only talk politics with people who agree with them and only follow news from sources that confirmed their views. In this forum we are lucky enough to have members from different parts of the world with different views who are also good at communicateing what they think well. A discussion could be helpfull to many of us. If someone isn't able to seperate issues and negative personal remarks, ban them from the forum for a few days instead of shutting down the whole thread. That's my opinion.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    I must agree with my esteemed colleague here. -{
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Is esteemed a bit like estrogen ? :p
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Is esteemed a bit like estrogen ? :p
    Only when snorted.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    Number24 wrote:
    IMO part of the problem is that many live in an echo chambers where they only talk politics with people who agree with them and only follow news from sources that confirmed their views.

Indeed -{
    Number24 wrote:
    In this forum we are lucky enough to have members from different parts of the world with different views who are also good at communicating what they think well.

...Until someone loses their temper. It's a drearily predictable (based upon documented history) un-Bondlike thing in which for a Bond fan site to traffic...in my (ever so) minority opinion :#

Maybe we should post links to sites where incurable, relentlessly addicted politicos can go and cavort to their political bliss? {:) Such places are ubiquitous.

I know; I'm a dreamer. It's what I do. But there was a time where we only argued about how unsuitable a Bond Craigger was, B-) and discussed other things that didn't carry the weight of the world.

My two cents' worth. Cheers to all; no malice intended, though some will likely be inferred.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    I see your point, Loeffelholz. These debates can get too emotional. There is some merrit in using outside political sites, but the problem is that I don't know anyone there. Part of the appeal of discussing politics is to do it with friends. The only other International group of friends I have are the asylum seekers I teach Norwegian on Saturdays. Fine people, of cource. But it might surprice you, Loeffelholz, how few US Republicans aply for political asylum in Norway.
    I also find that our common interest in all things James Bond tends to calm us down and re-forge our good relationship between political debates. In the purely political sites I suspect no such common bond (pun intended) exist.
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    changing the subject :) I went out today (I do get out :)) ) had to drop the car in for a service ect , well I had my Barbour on and my new Islays , hands thrust deep in jacket pockets and walking back to bus stop ,Isaly boots like 2ibs of lead strapped to my feet :D ,I developed "The Skyfall walk" I don't know if its how the jacket is cut ,but it sort of brings your shoulders forward ,and you have to make a conscious effort to get the Islays moving, has any one else noticed this .
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,390Chief of Staff
    changing the subject

:) {[]
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    I see your point, Loeffelholz. These debates can get too emotional. There is some merrit in using outside political sites, but the problem is that I don't know anyone there. Part of the appeal of discussing politics is to do it with friends. The only other International group of friends I have are the asylum seekers I teach Norwegian on Saturdays. Fine people, of cource. But it might surprice you, Loeffelholz, how few US Republicans aply for political asylum in Norway.
    I also find that our common interest in all things James Bond tends to calm us down and re-forge our good relationship between political debates. In the purely political sites I suspect no such common bond (pun intended) exist.
    The great thing about ajb is the all encompassing members, political debate can get heated( as can other threads) but good humour and respectful exchanges are normally the order of the day when on occasion the debate denigrates the mods are usually quick to step in, if you like a fractious exchange have a go on mi6 for your political dose, they will argue long and hard over there and quite happily swap insults and close ranks, the mods are much slower to get involved.... Which is why my foray into that forum lasted a brief time and ajb remains my first and only forum and Internet membership.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    I understand the need to moderate political (and other) debates. What I disagree with is the custom of closing down the entire thread when a couple of hotheads get too personal. I think it would be a better solution to bann said hotheads from AJB for a short period to let them cool off. If they continue the same debate in the same style (or lack of it), a longer ban follows. I think this would be both more fair and more effective than the current reaction.
    Our old guvnor said in his wise words "never bring politics or religion to the table ,and he was right :D
    I went out today (I do get out :)) ) had to drop the car in for a service ect

By coincidence, that's where mine is as well, as. I dropped it in at 8 this morning and am waiting for the call to go get it back. {[]
    Got mine back , with almost nothing to pay (under warranty) ive never ever had a big bill from BMW ,so now my X3 M sport is all valeted clean,and raring to go :D
    Lucky you! :)
    Ive been reading on another excellent thread , which beer Bond drinks ect , it just crossed my mind having just repateed with agent Barbel if Bond having Scottish roots ,has ever had Scotch pies ??? I love em .
    I'd think not. Bond has refined tastes! :D
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    edited January 2017
    Would he play bagpipes- just like everybody in Scotland does?
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Haggis ???
    Higgins- I'm a bass player, I thought you knew that!

always shaken- yes, he might have tried haggis!
    I really liked haggis. Ate it at Deacon Brodies Tavern in Edinburgh :)
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    Higgins- I'm a bass player, I thought you knew that!

Didn't know that there are bass bagpipes B-)
    You learn something new everyday :D
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Number24 wrote:
    I like haggis too, it's much maligned by the uninitiated. I'm fact I had some the other weekend on our trip to Edinburgh, a small helping with the cooked breakfast and I went for the full haggis neaps and tatties for lunch on the Saturday, great stuff.
  • VesperMelogranoVesperMelograno The SouthPosts: 901MI6 Agent
    In North Carolina we have liver mush. It is basically haggis in a block. Once you get past the color, dust, it is quite good.
    I've always wanted to have Christmas in Turkey
    In North Carolina we have liver mush. It is basically haggis in a block. Once you get past the color, dust, it is quite good.
    Over here that's called pate :)
  • VesperMelogranoVesperMelograno The SouthPosts: 901MI6 Agent
    edited January 2017
    I actually call it poor person pate :)) I love the stuff.
    I've always wanted to have Christmas in Turkey
    Number24 wrote:
    "How revolting!" :))
    "Star Wars: The Last Jedi". Not a bad title.
    How can there be a last jedi? Is the force giving up on them?
    One thing for sure: Disney won't! :D