Random Chat!!! (All Welcome!)

Comments

• always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    I have decided on an ambitious goal for next week: I won't mention the N-word at all! By the N-word I obviously mean Norway or Norwegian :D

my wife uses the N word all the time every night she says NO :#
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    :)) :)) :))

I wish I was so lucky :D
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    Since I've set myself the ambitious goal of not using the two N-words next week, there is something I really need to say:

Here in Norway, Norwegians are in Norway, we all need to do it like Norwegians do it in Norway..... Norway, Norway.... Norway and Norwegians......

Thank you. Now I'm ready. :D
    Instead we could talk about Gemany. I beliveved they had gotten over the war, I really did. But ..... :o

Der-Spiegel-die-queen.jpg
    I thought you were a Republican, Higgins :v
    Me republican??

Vive la revolution :D

I invite everyone to vote in my new poll in the Bond25 thread. Who is your favourite to play Bond if Craig quits? :007)
    edited January 2017
    A kindergarden in .......... well, I think you can quess the country :v , arranged for the oldest kids (4-5 years old) to witnes reindeer getting slaughtered. Here are the kids:

?imageId=66627589&width=512&height=308

The kids found the experience exciting and interesting, and they helped out carrying the skins. These kind of news makes me hopeful for the future :D
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    No vegetarians in Norway, I take it ?
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Not in the countryside, I think. The kindergarden is in a Sami region, where reindeer herding is an important tradition.
    I'm sure a special day at the kindergarden like this would go down well in Los Angeles or Surry too ......
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Bloody disgusting. X-(
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
    Bloody, yes. But is it really disgusting? The children live in a community where many of the adults are reindeer herders, and at this time of the year their fathers slaughter some of their reindeer. This is part of the traditional lifestyle of the Sami people. The kindergarden had talked with the children about what was going to happen in the week before, the parents were oriented and taking part in this was voluntary. Would you rather have a society where children think meat comes from the supermarket? Would you rather that the children didn't know what Daddy was doing at work this time of the year? Should these children be the first generation of Sami kids growing up without having witnesed reindeer getting slaughtered? I think this in natural, healthy and a good thing.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I do think for Communities it is very important to keep up many of their old traditions/customs. Not
    All of us" Outsiders" may not understand these events or their importance........ Otherwise you end
    Up with the EU controlling all events so that you can't tell one country from another ! As everthing
    Has to be "compliant to regulations"
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Traditions aside, but I find letting animals bleeding to death unnecessary and cruel.

• ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    The method I find cruel, that reindeer hung up by its back legs looks alive and terrified, it would be kinder to shoot the animal first. animals that die in such a way release adrenaline and that ruins the meat quality.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Whilst we are discussing Norway, I heard today that Norway will be the first country in the world to completely phase out fm radio signals.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    Correct. The first region made the transition to DAB+ yesterday, and the rest of the country will follow later this year. DAB (digital radio) offers far more channels than FM. Not a problem in the urban area, but many could only listen to 2-4 channels on FM.
    Chriscoop wrote:
    The method I find cruel, that reindeer hung up by its back legs looks alive and terrified, it would be kinder to shoot the animal first. animals that die in such a way release adrenaline and that ruins the meat quality.

While I don't know any details about the method, I assume modern rules are followed and the animal was killed quickly.
    I have made a new poll, but this question is different. The poll allows multiple answers and asks who you would screentest if you were the casting director of Bond 24. Again it is assumed Craig is out of the picture. Please vote! :007)
    I'm watching Michael Moore's "Where to invade next?" He is obviously a demagogue with a political agenda, but he is always entertaining. But I wonder about some of the things he said about the US school system.
    Are there really schools were they don't teach arts, music and civics to cut cost and spend up to one third of the time studying for standardized teste?
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    But I wonder about some of the things he said about the US school system.
    Are there really schools were they don't teach arts, music and civics to cut cost and spend up to one third of the time studying for standardized teste?

I believe so. I went to one of the highest-ranked public high schools in the US, and my teachers made it known to us that they taught us differently than most schools, where students are only taught to pass the standardized tests. Hence, my school's standardized test scores were amongst the highest in the state because we were taught far beyond what was required by the state. Most students in my school aced the standardized tests with ease, while in other schools most students struggled to barely pass. In many schools if one third of the time is devoted to studying for standardized tests, the rest of the time may be spent doing nothing at all. Most places teach for the standardized tests and those alone because that's how the schools' and teachers' performance is judged. I've visited some of those schools. Parents also had to fight to keep art and music a part of my school. Practically all schools want to cut those to save money. That's always the first place for funding to be cut, and in many places throughout the US the funding is hardly there for textbooks in the more traditional subjects. The US doesn't have nearly as much money as Norway does to spend on each citizen. Schools are also more state-funded than federally funded, so there is a large gap in education between different states. Blue states generally (but not always) have better education than red states.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    Horrible. Children should study for life, not standardized tests. Not learning arts, music and civics is also sad. Every child should learn about Mozart and the Rolling Stones and they should learn musical notes. They should also learn to draw and know Picasso and how to use a saw.
    But most of all, how can they remove civics from schools? Don't they learn about their rights and duties in society? They should learn about what the government can and can't do. They should learn what a free press is and how to be critical of them. They should learn about elections and how democracy works.

Now I understand how last year's election could happen. :(
    Civics was taught in my school, but that I can't say about other schools. As it is part of the country's history, I would imagine that would be more universally taught throughout the country.
    According to Michael Moore it's not a subject in some schools,. I know he 's not an objective source, so I had to ask. But the idea of some citizens of the most powerfull nation on earth doesn' t learn civics is deeply scary to me, so I still hope it isn't true.
    Number24 wrote:
    According to Michael Moore it's not a subject in some schools,. I know he 's not an objective source, so I had to ask. But the idea of some citizens of the most powerfull nation on earth doesn' t learn civics is deeply scary to me, so I still hope it isn't true.

I would certainly believe it is possible, particularly in the southern African American communities that are disgustingly underfunded.

I never had a "civics" class, but it was part of our "social studies" classes in middle school.
    So you learnt civics/social studies only in middle school? :o
    Number24 wrote:
    So you learnt civics/social studies only in middle school? :o

For high school (9-12): 9th grade and 10th grade was world history (much needed when previous history taught mostly just focused on the United States). 11th grade was United States history, and with that we did learn about government and civics. 12th grade I took the school's basic government and economics class, and I think we learned more about government civics. But most of the civics I remember I was taught younger. Even in elementary school we learned about government participation and the importance of voting, particularly during presidential elections. I can remember a demonstration of voting booths in school from when I was about 5 or 6 years old.
    That's a relief.....
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    Sadly, some schools probably show Michael Moore's films in civics class :# Nothing would surprise me.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    Hopefully they'll do with "Bowling for Columbine" and discuss "Stupid White Men".

Moore is no Saint and has his flaws, but there is always something to reconsider and to learn - even if you are not in his political camp.