Random Chat!!! (All Welcome!)

Comments

• Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    I see the topic is ripe for humour :D
    But seriously, didn't any of you dream of finding a knight's or Conquestador's armour or sword when you were kids? Or do only history nerds like me do that kind of thing?
    Never into swords of any sort when I was a kid. Maybe katanas when I got into Kill Bill but other than that, no.
    If it's any consolation, I still have the only one that matters attached to me at all times ;).
    a reasonable rate of return
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    But seriously, didn't any of you dream of finding a knight's or Conquestador's armour or sword when you were kids? Or do only history nerds like me do that kind of thing?
    I'll lend a supportive post to your vikng sword story ;)
    I lived in a place called Cawood, which sits on the tidal stretch of the river ouse downstream from York the area is very rich in viking history. A viking sword was found here and is said to be the best preserved specimen to be found a very similar looking gsword has been found in Norway which is believed to come from the same workshop. https://www.yorkshiremuseum.org.uk/collections/collections-highlights/the-cawood-sword/
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    I'm feeling very upset for the victims of hurricane Irma. Widespread devastation already and Irma heads to the US still, thoughts to our members in her path, stay safe.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,804MI6 Agent
    edited September 2017
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    I lived in a place called Cawood, which sits on the tidal stretch of the river ouse downstream from York the area is very rich in viking history. A viking sword was found here and is said to be the best preserved specimen to be found a very similar looking gsword has been found in Norway which is believed to come from the same workshop. https://www.yorkshiremuseum.org.uk/collections/collections-highlights/the-cawood-sword/

Greetings to Jorvik :)
    Number24 wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

Greetings to Jorvik :)
    The Jorvik visitors centre is excellent and remains very popular.
    Great! But the reason I used that name is that I like the more classic place names such as Londonium, Jorvik, Nidaros and Constantinople. I'm in that kind of mood today. :D
    I knew that 24, we have a healthy regard for our historic place names here, like the Jorvik centre. Leeds was originally Leodis and there is a restaurant called that and a rugby team called the leodensians. Tadcaster was originally named Calcaria and there are many businesses that use that name.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Joshua wrote:
    If you picked up something brown from the ground in my country I do not think it would be a sword!

:)) :)) :))
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Chriscoop wrote:
    I knew that 24, we have a healthy regard for our historic place names here, like the Jorvik centre. Leeds was originally Leodis and there is a restaurant called that and a rugby team called the leodensians. Tadcaster was originally named Calcaria and there are many businesses that use that name.

giphy.gif
    Number24 wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:

giphy.gif
    Hmmm ?:) is that sarcasm I detect?
    Not even a whif of it. I really ment it. :)
  • JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent
    Not a sword but I used to have a shotgun what my father made. I carried this shotgun on my lands. It was of twelve bore single shot. It was very well made and did not looked like a home made gun but one bought in the shop. It broke in the barrel and had the wooden stock and grip and the proper trigger and hammer all which my father made. All I did when i inerited the gun was to take the strap off as I always wanted to never put it over my shoulder in case i was attacked by the wild animals. To load it you would pull the lacth in front of the trigger gard and this would open the barrellike a normal shotgun, you would then put a twelve bore cartrige into the barrel and close it. It could not fire until you pulled the hammer back to click then to shoot you squeeze the trigger. You had only 1 shot so if you were attacked it was good that you did not be rushing the shot. You had to open the barrel again and pull out the cartrige and load another one.
    I think I shot this gun over 100 times but never with any misfire. My father could also have shot it many times also. The barrel was a normal piece of ordinary pipe. It never cracked or any thing.
    I filled the gun with the grease and wrapped it well in a blanket soaked in oil for the engine and put it in a drain pipe which I sealed at the ends and buried it out in the bush. It is still there waiting for me to get it. I sometimes wander if any one found it but I buried it in a area where no one goes.
  • VesperMelogranoVesperMelograno The SouthPosts: 901MI6 Agent
    Jashua, I an not being snarky at all, one day you should write a book. I would love to read it -{
    I've always wanted to have Christmas in Turkey
    VesperMelograno thankyou. I do not think my english writing skill would be good enough!
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    What sort of dangerous animals would you encounter, Joshua? Buffalo, elephants?
    Humans? :o
    Number24 wrote:
    Humans? :o
    Most notably dictators :#
  • VesperMelogranoVesperMelograno The SouthPosts: 901MI6 Agent
    Joshua wrote:
    VesperMelograno thankyou. I do not think my english writing skill would be good enough!
    My husband is in publishing. You would be amazing at how poor bad some books are. Your English is very good and you have a distinct voice. It reminds me "of things fall apart" by Chinua Achebe. It makes things interesting!
    I've always wanted to have Christmas in Turkey
    I think Ian Fleming would have approved of these golfers in California :007)

img_3881.jpg?w=720&quality=85
    Right now I'm parked next to a Volvo 1800 - it even has the same colour as The Saint's car!
    It's beautiful :D
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Volvo-P1800-5.jpg
    "Beautiful craft, ... such lovely lines "
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    The Domino Effect Their are many dangerous animals but the ones I would to be careful of were the big cats or the buffalo or hyena.
    A big cat can stalk up to very close range without you knowing it was there at all. I had my gun and my dog with me at all times in the bush. My dog was powerful enough to fight off even the leopard and even keep the lion from attacking. He stayed with me at all the time. The dog is no good in the bush if it chases the animals. It has to stay at the masters side. The dog will tell you if there are predators before you can see them. Also the animals can tell you if you see the birds flying suddenly or the calls of panic. Sometimes though the cat is not interested and you can know when you are in danger from the attack.
    To go to the water, river or lake would also be dangerous because of the crocodile and hippopotamus. This is where my dog was of no good to protect from these creatures. A shotgun is no good to kill a crocodile or hippopotamus either. I was grown up in the bush. I was never attacked because of my dogs and gun and better still my knowing how to keep safe but I know of many peoples who were killed or injured by wild animal, even the giraffe. and this happens every year. I have never shot the predator. I have always managed to not have myself in the situation where I was attacked in the first place.

On training exercises with the army in the bush live ammunition would always be issued to the soldiers because of the many dangerous animals but often the animals would kill the soldier before they could even shoot.

As said the most dangerous of all is man!

My dog was the borbol here is a photograph of the dog from the internet but mine was brown. You can see that the animals would not attack if they saw the dog.

3fd98db28b78d9f9ec69f79f86abde91.jpg
    VesperMelograno thankyou but I dont have more of a story to tell than many others peoples.

I find a photograph from the internet of the brown borbol. I see the spelling is Boerboel This is the same colour as my dog but my dog had the tail.
    cache_25031316.png
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,949MI6 Agent
    Joshua that's an awesome story right there and I learned a lot
    those of us who grow up in the city can't even imagine such a relationship to nature or wild animals
    us cityfolk find wild animals exotic and tend to anthromorphosize (imagine animals have human traits, like a Disney character), I'd probably be saying "oh look there's mr crocodile, daww, are you a good crocodile today?"
    of course wild animals don't want to be our friends, they want to eat us if they can
    caractacus potts thankyou. There is nothing cuddly about the wild predators. It is funny but you can pass many dangerous animals who would kill you if they have had their kill and eaten. they will just want to sleep if their belly is full.
    I know at the river never to go to the same place for water twice as the crocodile will wait for you to come back and will kill you before even you have the chance to move. They can also run very fast on land and faster than a man for short times. Also the hippopotamus. I think many peoples think the hippopotamus and the giraffe are funny animals but they will kill you if they get the chance. The hippopotamus especially so.
    I'll tell you a funny story. When I was a soldier part of the tests and selection was to swim in rivers were crocodiles lived. It was very scary always! The NCOs would tell us that many soldiers had been taken by the crocodile in this river but we had to swim the river to the other side as a test of our courage. If you did not do this then you would fail the training. The river was wide and with the current it was hard to swim. The waters was muddy and you could not see if the crocodile was coming to attack from under the water. The boat was there and there were NCOs with rifles ready to shoot the crocodiles on the river banks. Some of the trainees would not go into the river because they were too scared to be killed. We went in to swim and we were about halfway to the other side when someone shouted that they had seen the crocodile near us. We all swam as we were in the Olympic games! Running out of the other side! The NCOs laughed. They had played the big joke on us!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    An odd coincidence today, after having a game of quotations
    With Barbel, with pictures of Peter Cushing and Christopher
    Lee. I switch on the telly and one of their great films is on.
    " The Hound of the Baskerville's " :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    edited September 2017
    Interesting story, Joshua, but I wonder, if the soldiers who were swimming knowingly thru a crocodile infested river were the better ones.

They risk their lives knowingly without finding a better alternative.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    edited September 2017
    I just read that Diana Rigg's second husband, Archibald Stirling, was the son of William Stirling and the nephew of David Stirling. David Stirling founded Special Air Service during WWII, his brothers William commanded one of two British SAS regiments after David became a POW. Diana Rigg and Archibald Stirling has the daughter Rachel Stirling who is a successful actress who some wanted to play Vesper Lynd.
    Diana Rigg and Archibald Stirling were married in 1982. David Stirling died in 1983 and William died in 1990, so she must have know her father-in-law and is likely to have met the founder of the SAS.
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    Selling my Nexus One on eBay.
    I mean, if you want to buy it, be my guest.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/152698456544?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649
    a reasonable rate of return
    Volvo-P1800-5.jpg
    "Beautiful craft, ... such lovely lines "
    I struggle to understand how volvo went from building avant-garde beautiful Cars to the very well built people tanks for so many years, their new range is better looking but still?