Random Chat!!! (All Welcome!)

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    You don't even have to be a good writer , look at 50 shades of grey! :D
    Although happily a few on AJB have written some great books. ..... My
    Own attempt ( which I told a a lady in a Scottish café ) About a young fat
    Junior wizard Harold Porker , never really got off the ground. ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • IanFryerIanFryer Posts: 327MI6 Agent
    Coincidentally I'm doing final corrections on my new book right now. Some of it is material I wrote over a year ago, and I'm relieved to report that it still reads pretty well.
  • IanFryerIanFryer Posts: 327MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    I sometimes say to kids who say they're bored: "Do you think there would be Harry Potter if JK Rowling never had felt bored?"

That's a really good line. I'm a writer and I often get emails from people asking how they can become writers too. I tell them to read lots and write even more and never ever stop. You'd be amazed how many people respond that they never really read and that don't write much either!

That is excellent advice. I wrote tons for fanzines, after a period writing for a movie magazine. It kept me writing and (much to my surprise) got me spotted by a publisher. Starting a blog is another route to getting into the swing of writing regularly for an audience and finding your own voice.
  • GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,296MI6 Agent
    Im in L.A now , gonna see some movie locations :)
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,815MI6 Agent
    edited August 2017
    I have been following the news from Texas, especially Huston. The destruction from the hurricane are huge, but I'm impressed by the rescue and support by ordinary citizens. I hope no more people will die and everyone has a house again soon.
  • GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,296MI6 Agent
    The Fugitive ended 50 yrs ago , Aug 28th......
    The last couple of days I've had the oddest experience. In a history forum with an even more international membership than AJB there is a thread asking if the Russians would have been better off if the rule of the Czars had continued without any communist revolution/coup.
    I got into a discussion with a Russian. This man actually argues that the people had more influence over the running of their country and more press freedom than we in the West ever had. It was a bit like meeting someone who thought kings are God's representative on earth or slavery is a great institution, a relic from another time and place. I asked him some questions to see how he was thinking, but earlier this evening I chose to pull out of the discussion as gentlemanly as possible without giving him the impression that I gave up because I had nothing to offer against his posts. Most fascinating :D
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    but earlier this evening I chose to pull out of the discussion as gentlemanly as possible without giving him the impression that I gave up because I had nothing to offer against his posts. Most fascinating :D
    You see, that's a trick I never learned. Perhaps someone here needs to take a hint :v.

Is there a possibility that he was a troll or were his responses too...real to set off any alarms?
    a reasonable rate of return
    I cut off the exchange pretty late in the evening, so I haven't got any reaction from him yet and I don't know how it went.
    I'm pretty sure he's a real communist and fan of the old Soviet Union. He has a Soviet era banner as his member symbol. There are some Russians in the forum and it's fascinating how they see things differently. The Putin regime has a dualist view of the past. They don' t want to go back to the isolation and communist economy. At the same time they like the authoritarian rule, the opposition to the West and the sense that their country was powerful and important then. The Putin regime likes Stalin for this reason, but dislikes Lenin since he represent what Putin fears the most - rebellion and regime change.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Putin is only President. For Life ! :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    TP has always been a staunch supporter of Putin while he's on the internet or in a room not recently swept for bugs :)
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    I cut off the exchange pretty late in the evening, so I haven't got any reaction from him yet and I don't know how it went.
    I'm pretty sure he's a real communist and fan of the old Soviet Union. He has a Soviet era banner as his member symbol. There are some Russians in the forum and it's fascinating how they see things differently. The Putin regime has a dualist view of the past. They don' t want to go back to the isolation and communist economy. At the same time they like the authoritarian rule, the opposition to the West and the sense that their country was powerful and important then. The Putin regime likes Stalin for this reason, but dislikes Lenin since he represent what Putin fears the most - rebellion and regime change.

Now you understand how I am feeling when having a disagreement with the Timboys 8-)
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,621Chief of Staff
    Higgins wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

Now you understand how I am feeling when having a disagreement with the Timboys 8-)

Makes you all weepy eyed, does it? :p :))
    YNWA 97
    Higgins wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

:))
    I'm updating the "Behind the scenes photos" thread. a short time ago someone posted a photo from TLD were Dalton was wearing a scarf on his head. Can anyone remember where it was posted?
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,385Chief of Staff
    I believe Higgins would remember, since he told me he was making a copy of it to use in his bathroom.
    edited August 2017
    Oh, that's where it went? If he's looking for more I've just posted a number of behind the scenes photos from TLD :)
    Number24 wrote:
    I'm updating the "Behind the scenes photos" thread. a short time ago someone posted a photo from TLD were Dalton was wearing a scarf on his head. Can anyone remember where it was posted?

Here it is:

hqdefault.jpg

• VesperMelogranoVesperMelograno The SouthPosts: 901MI6 Agent
    My Dad sent me his pen and pencil sets from when he was in college! It is so sweet of him. They are from 1965ish. I am tempted to send in the included mailer to get 4 sets of ink refills for $.25. Alas, Cross pens are really too thin to use but they sure look pretty.

pens.jpg
    I've always wanted to have Christmas in Turkey
    Keep in mind that Cross gave a life-long warranty on these....

They are in perfect condition and I imaging they will stay that way because they are too thin to use. I still need you to hook me up with something functional and lovely.
    I am just waiting for your GO on this ;)

Higgins wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

Here it is:

hqdefault.jpg

Thanks, that's very helpful of you.
    Higgins wrote:
    I am just waiting for your GO on this ;)
    GO!
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    Sean Connery in today's Daily Mail, pictured enjoying the tennis.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Number24 wrote:
    Higgins wrote:

hqdefault.jpg

Thanks, that's very helpful of you.

BTW, I hope that you see what John Cleese is doing on that pic.
    He's showing emotion and it is done entirely without tears ;)

Good, Higgins. You are showing progress. You now agree that not all signs of emotions are crying. If we some time in the future can convinced you that crying involves actual tears...... :v
    the problem remains, that when Dalton is showing/playing emotions* - he's in tears!

And that's quite annoying to me, I've probably said that before :v

- anger
    - rage
    - happiness
    - sentimentality

and so on.

Baby steps, baby steps :)
    Right now I'm watching the leader of the communist party (simply named "Red") and the leader of the party furthest to the right on TV. They are smiling, laughing and talking about what they can agree on. Is it so unreasonable to expect some tension and animosity between them, at least now during the election?
    This is the opposite of the US election - too many people agree and it's really boring.
    Feel my pain! :(