Random Chat!!! (All Welcome!)

Comments

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 2,258MI6 Agent

Happy New Year fellow AJBers🥂👍

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 1,660MI6 Agent

Happy New Year for 2022 to all members young, old, new, borrowed and blue 🍸️🍸️ 🍸️ wine, cheese and port hangover finally over ...

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 4,258MI6 Agent

Old, new, borrowed and blue is the title of a Slade album, and very good it is too. Noddy Holder has one of the finest rock voices of all time and is seriously undervalued in the annals of music.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

Book Clubs were very popular in the UK, they enabled readers to purchase titles in special book club editions at prices way below the normal cost of the original printings. The Oldham’s seres was just one of many offerings;

This series began in the late 1950’s and ran for a good 20 years or so. They started to become very collectible in the 1980’s onwards and they didn’t stand for long on the shelves of my bookshop. A few of them are below

The Siege Of Trencher’s Farm was filmed as Straw Dogs. The paperback tie-in was insanely popular, but I often got complaints that the rape scene does not appear in the book, it was added to the film script in the adaption. Sometimes the explanation of me saying that I don’t write the books, I just sell them, didn’t seem to resonate with some customers!

• JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,036MI6 Agent

I am happy to see that you are okay CoolHandBond.

edited January 4

I have tried my very best to keep away from all news of NTTD for these past months. I walked into the living room to see my wife watching goglebox the other day and what was on?!

It was only a clip though showing Bond being caught in an explosion at Vesper's grave. Thankfully not enough to give any of the story away.

I continue to steer clear of James Bond chat here that might spoil the film or me because the first time I see it is when it is released on DVD.

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 18,950MI6 Agent
    edited January 4

Don't worry, Josua. We would never spoil how Bond ends up living the quiet life as an alpaca farmer in Norway.

Thank you, Joshua.

We have tickets for the ferry to return to Cebu on Friday, electric is resumed in our area, then.

• Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,356MI6 Agent

I'd forgotten those print adverts! Though I clearly remember this one, appearing in the pages of my sister's weekly Titbits magazines (look it up), as a pre-teen trembling on the brink of puberty and imbued with a highly overactive imagination:

"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 7,767MI6 Agent

I've seen that one for Dennis Wheatley myself again recently I think in one of my books where it was either an insert or a perforated card you could tear off and order the books from. A charming analogue find in this increasingly digital world.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

That is news to me! I did suspect that he would open a workshop in Brighton, start teaching pottery lessons and making little bulldogs and selling them to tourists. The plot must be differently to what I imagined it would be?!

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 7,767MI6 Agent

Sounds like an alternative take on Fleming's You Only Live Twice ending! Still, it beats being a monk I'm sure. 🙂

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • TeppoTeppo TISPosts: 2,515MI6 Agent
    Knowing who to trust is Everything in this business.

TIS - "The moment you think you got it figured - you're wrong"

NTTD has more twists than a serpent licking an electricity outlet.

This bilboard can be seen in Birmingham of all places. Good luck, Malik!

• TeppoTeppo TISPosts: 2,515MI6 Agent

Happy Epiphany 🍸️

Knowing who to trust is Everything in this business.

TIS - "The moment you think you got it figured - you're wrong"

And if the campaign is successful, how long before another bilboard is put up saying PLEASE! FIND ME A GOOD DIVORCE LAWYER??!!

edited January 6

Never forget, never lie about the attack.

edited January 8

"Hang on lads, I've got a great idea!"

I don't know it that's what they really said, but the people got out alive from this truck in Shanxi, China.

I remember this one very well. Lots of customers thought that book club editions were worth the same as the originals but sadly not. Some of the covers were interesting though and sometimes better than the original. I will post some when I have the time.

A lot of the James Bond Book Club editions seem to do very well nowadays, at least on eBay and the like. I do think that the Internet has tended to perhaps artificially inflate the value of a lot of things including books in the last few decades since its inception. You can still usually get books cheaper in bricks and mortar second hand bookshops than you can online whereas at a time the reverse used to be the case. Around ten years ago I recall being able to buy books on eBay for a penny and the profit appeared to be made in the postage and packaging costs instead. Of course that model would never have been sustainable over a long period and it didn't apply to every book.

In terms of the Bond Book Club editions, some of them do have very good covers indeed. I understand that the Book Club edition of FRWL used the cover art from the Jonathan Cape first edition and I was lucky enough to pick up a copy of that book complete with dust jacket years ago. Back in 2000 I happened upon TB, TSWLM, OHMSS and YOLT Book Club editions in my local second hand bookshop for the princely sum of £1.90. The YOLT cover art, depicting Blofeld and Bunt in the Garden of Death, remains one of my favourites:

Yes, that’s a good cover, @Silhouette Man, I used to get about £5 for book club editions. A couple of interesting covers are below:

Regional press reports "Swanhild" has gone missing! Hopefully she's alive and well.

Today marks my 19th anniversary as a member of AJB007. I joined on 14 January 2003. A lot has happened in the years in between but I'm glad that I returned here to active service in 2012 after some years away. It is a great place to be a part of and I want to thank all the members, mods and the admin for keeping AJB alive and active for all of these years. The upgrade to new software has been great and AJB looks better than ever. I've had many interesting discussions here and learned a lot too so here's to AJB! 🍸️

• Quentin QuigleyQuentin Quigley Terminal One, Hamburg AirportPosts: 1,047MI6 Agent

Congrats my friend. That's quite a milestone. Here's to many more years ahead. 🍻

Still, surprised you lasted this long.

Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited January 14

Thank you, QQ. Yes, I'm surprised I've lasted this long too. It remains my oldest forum membership. Of course there was that time I was exiled like an Afghan prince for over a year but we'll gloss over that for now. 😉

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 1,660MI6 Agent

🍸️🍸️🍸️ Congratulations, @Silhouette Man

Congratulations, Siliouette Man. I'm glad you're here. 😀

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 2,786MI6 Agent

always great posts and research from @Silhouette Man

I'm glad youre still with us after all these years. You must be one of the originals